OFF Topic - Dennis Rodman, Diplomat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

OFF Topic - Dennis Rodman, Diplomat

A professor of Korean studies at Columbia University claims this is a good thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/sports/basketball/rodman-leading-team-of-improbable-emissaries.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&ref=sports

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: OFF Topic - Dennis Rodman, Diplomat

The books I've read about the North Korean Death/Labor camps are enough to give anyone nightmares.  But, evidently the learned, liberal professor at Columbia is immune to these atrocities...going on as we speak.

Will Rodman be talking about these human rights violations? Or, just telling us what a great leader he is?

I think it would be a GREAT thing if Rodman stayed there.  Or, was not allowed back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

The books I've read about the North Korean Death/Labor camps are enough to give anyone nightmares.  But, evidently the learned, liberal professor at Columbia is immune to these atrocities...going on as we speak.

Will Rodman be talking about these human rights violations? Or, just telling us what a great leader he is?

What a shock

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They should revoke Rodman's passport and let him live in N.K.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Perhaps

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I may not always agree with your stats, but we're certainly on the same page this time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

What a shock

I suppose you think it's a good thing?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

What a shock

Quite frankly I don't know what to think about this; he's definiitely insubordinate with respect to the State Dep't, so from that POV, No.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

What a shock

Quite frankly I don't know what to think about this; he's definiitely insubordinate with respect to the State Dep't, so from that POV, No.

Seriously, please read about the atrocities over there.  It's absolutely so terrible that it's hard to imagine.

I just went to my Kindle and was going to give you the titles of a few of the books...well, the damned battery is drained...couldn't do it.  But, if you have a Kindle, I strongly suggest reading about it.  And, the books on Kindle are really inexpensive.

If interested, I'll get you the titles when it's alive again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

What a shock

Seriously, please read about the atrocities over there.  It's absolutely so terrible that it's hard to imagine.

I just went to my Kindle and was going to give you the titles of a few of the books...well, the damned battery is drained...couldn't do it.  But, if you have a Kindle, I strongly suggest reading about it.  And, the books on Kindle are really inexpensive.

It may even be some sort of violation of a federal statute, but I'm not a lawyer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

What a shock

It may even be some sort of violation of a federal statute, but I'm not a lawyer.

Well, we're lucky enough to be geographically born in the best country in the world where people can voice their opinions or travel without fear.  So, it wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't violated anything.  Good point though.  I wonder if it's a violation to go to Cuba?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Dennis is probably dumber than any poster here, which is an achievement of sorts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Dennis is probably dumber than any poster here, which is an achievement of sorts.

I'm impressed.  What a brilliant comment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

As am I with you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

One of the problems we have to deal with is all of these " Nutty Professors " , who are tenured in our colleges and universities. ( No offense to the great Jerry Lewis). Dennis Rodman was a good rebounder. He is not to be taken seriously. The quality of life in South Korea is far , far , far above that in North Korea. Same people. The difference is in the leadership. We should not expect an idiot like Rodman to recognize that. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

South Korea is having its share of issues as well.  The road from dictatorship to democracy over the last 30 years have been bumpy, and recently it has been much bumpier, with things leaking out about the NIS influencing elections, failed policies and so on.  That being said Rodman should get his butt outta the north.  Kim Jung Un is a dangerous man, and I fully believe a megalomaniac and should not be given succor or this much exposure as Rodman is doing.  

Sources: 7 years in South Korea and counting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Enslavement in the labor camps goes on for generations.  Heaven forbid if your second cousin was heard saying something offensive about the regime.  If it happened, the whole family name down the line would be guilty by association.....for generations.

Interestingly, the South Korean populous attitude toward the North is almost one of indifference.  The people are looked upon almost as a sort of subculture who are perceived as inferior.  Of what I've read, it's really bizarre.

I hope 'Ice'Cream' reads this post.  I know he's Korean and I'd love to hear his take on it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Enslavement in the labor camps goes on for generations.  Heaven forbid if your second cousin was heard saying something offensive about the regime.  If it happened, the whole family name down the line would be guilty by association.....for generations.

Interestingly, the South Korean populous attitude toward the North is almost one of indifference.  The people are looked upon almost as a sort of subculture who are perceived as inferior.  Of what I've read, it's really bizarre.

It goes something like this amp.  The people see the northerners as brothers and sisters, but I don't think they identify with them any more, in the least.  Yes, they do seem them as a different people, Korean, but not quite right.  Also, the majority have given up on a real reunification here these days, though they will still speak about it.  It's viewed more as a potential disaster than as a good thing to work toward.  There is a definite culture split that has happened over the years.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Like East and West Germany, only worse?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:

It goes something like this amp.  The people see the northerners as brothers and sisters, but I don't think they identify with them any more, in the least.  Yes, they do seem them as a different people, Korean, but not quite right.  Also, the majority have given up on a real reunification here these days, though they will still speak about it.  It's viewed more as a potential disaster than as a good thing to work toward.  There is a definite culture split that has happened over the years.

Thank you for the information.

Yes, as I understand it, a definite concern is the economic impact a reunification would create.  Just think if all the unskilled northern population suddenly moved to the south.  It would be an economic disaster.  The south wouldn't be able to afford it.  And, I can kind of understand why.  It's a very sad scenario what has occured.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Yes.  That's exactly how it is viewed.  The cost to catch the north up would be immense.  There would be population shifts to the south, or poor and displaced, that there is not infrastructure to handle.  So yes, if asked that would be exactly how it would be compared.

I should add, about the culture thing.  Know this, I am not an expert, these are just things I have observed over the years (and yes, I do speak passable Korean).  But even a 100% genetically Korean person born and raised, in say, America, Canada, wherever, who speaks Korean, would never been seen as 100% Korean.  There is very much...  How do I put it, almost like the Korean culture of the south is the correct culture, and the only correct one.  It's actually very hard to explain.  Probably best I could compare it is when Irish Americans say they are Irish to a person from Ireland.  But it's still not quite the same.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I might be completely off here, but I think it may be different.  At least in Germany, family contact wasn't eroded to the extent that it is in Korea.  Also, the educational background between eastern and westerners was closer than in Korea.  In Korea, the difference is like a PhD and illiteracy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I might be completely off here, but I think it may be different.  At least in Germany, family contact wasn't eroded to the extent that it is in Korea.  Also, the educational background between eastern and westerners was closer than in Korea.  In Korea, the difference is like a PhD and illiteracy.

You are correct in that amp.  Be aware that even the South's government censors internet contact between the north and the south.  So.  The divide only gets wider.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to HankukSox's comment:

Yes.  That's exactly how it is viewed.  The cost to catch the north up would be immense.  There would be population shifts to the south, or poor and displaced, that there is not infrastructure to handle.  So yes, if asked that would be exactly how it would be compared.

I should add, about the culture thing.  Know this, I am not an expert, these are just things I have observed over the years (and yes, I do speak passable Korean).  But even a 100% genetically Korean person born and raised, in say, America, Canada, wherever, who speaks Korean, would never been seen as 100% Korean.  There is very much...  How do I put it, almost like the Korean culture of the south is the correct culture, and the only correct one.  It's actually very hard to explain.  Probably best I could compare it is when Irish Americans say they are Irish to a person from Ireland.  But it's still not quite the same.

Again, thank you so much for your imput.

Now the big question.  Would you PLEASE share a good recipe for bulgogi with me???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

That is my impression also.  My daughter worked in Seoul for a year and of course never got closer to the North than the DMZ, but her Korean friends there and Korean American friends here value education highly.  I dont think that level of experiece is available to people inthe North without leaving the country.

Sections
Shortcuts