Official 2014 BDC Red Sox player & team prediction tread. You will be held to account. closest becomes de facto POTY ;)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Official 2014 BDC Red Sox player & team prediction tread. You will be held to account. closest becomes de facto POTY ;)

Then again....  I was dead wrong about giving the starting job to him last ST.  I've definitely flipped on the kid.  FOR NOW!   :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Official 2014 BDC Red Sox player & team prediction tread. You will be held to account. closest becomes de facto POTY ;)

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree that the kid has been excellent in the minors, especially on D!!!

I think he's been rushed & is not ready for prime time in Boston.  I think last year was an epic mistake in rushing him! 

As I've said, I do see the kid shining with a smaller market team, but not for the Sox right now.  Not for 2 years.  I simply don't think he's ready!  I actually do not want to get rid of him, as he could very well be our next big CF'r.  I do really think it's a mistake to keep rushing him, as it could ruin any chance he has to shine in Boston!

I'm not sure we actually disagree as much as you might think.  He could be great?!?!  Just not this year.

[/QUOTE]

fair enough...I still say he's closer than 2 years away.  I don't think he will be great starting off the year, but i think he would hit above the mendozza line and be better than last year with GG D.  Personally I think he could hit by the All Star break.

I would like to ammend my prediction:  I still say Xander Bogaerts wins ROY and finishes top 10 for the MVP, but I think he will get off to a very slow start in April before he turns it up. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

The Dirtdog Report will be posted soon.  Make your predictions carefully, as we will run the numbers & name the BDC Poster of the Year following the WS.

[/QUOTE]

94 W's / 1st place ALE / ALDS knockout

Clay (IP) > 2013, Lackey (ERA) < 2013

Middle relief will be better this season

Koji-san will hit some bumps in the road

pedroia 15+ HR's

Ortiz will have 2 separate 15 day DL stints

AJ peirzwhatever will be All Star

Xander will struggle thru mid may

naps will hit 34 ding dongs

JBJ will play more games in AAA than show

Gomes is going to have a terrible year at the plate

Peavy will be +4 wins

Ben will not pull the trigger on a big name trading deadline deal

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Dirtdog Report will be posted soon.  Make your predictions carefully, as we will run the numbers & name the BDC Poster of the Year following the WS.

[/QUOTE]

94 W's / 1st place ALE / ALDS knockout

Clay (IP) > 2013, Lackey (ERA) < 2013

Middle relief will be better this season

Koji-san will hit some bumps in the road

pedroia 15+ HR's

Ortiz will have 2 separate 15 day DL stints

AJ peirzwhatever will be All Star

Xander will struggle thru mid may

naps will hit 34 ding dongs

JBJ will play more games in AAA than show

Gomes is going to have a terrible year at the plate

Peavy will be +4 wins

Ben will not pull the trigger on a big name trading deadline deal

[/QUOTE]

FINALLY!

A few guys willing to sac up & lay some real predictions down, rather than cobble together a few random predictions at the end of the season, then lobby for the POTY! 

OK...   Now where are your numbers ladies?

Lay it down!  Live & die with these predictions rather than argue who's the "smartest baseball guy."  Yada yada yada  ;)

What a bunch of panty-wastes!    ;)

No more of this, "Moon should get it because he gives us the most info......"  Please!

I've seen a lot of guys talk a good game in sports, but it's all hat & no cattle when it comes to gametime.  Put up or shut up!

My appologies to Moon, as he does give us good info.  I also like him very much.  I'm just not giving away POTY again.  Oh that coveted trophy  ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Where are all the self-annointed Red Sox GM's & prognosticators of the year?

No guts no glory!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

What the hell... 94 wins and you can cram the POTY award.Tongue Out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

• The Red Sox will finish 92-70 and win the AL East for the second straight year.  
    • There will be one brawl between the Red Sox and Rays.  Peavy will hit Langoria as retaliation (Price hitting Ortiz an inning prior) and both benches will clear.   LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ok....

now we're getting somewhere!

Let's not downplay the importance of the much coveted POTY Award!  Very prestigious!!!

I will not be denied what is due me two years in a row!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Ok....

now we're getting somewhere!

Let's not downplay the importance of the much coveted POTY Award!  Very prestigious!!!

I will not be denied what is due me two years in a row!

Allright. If I win (not that I would ever be considered for such an award here) I'll give it to you.Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Also, Sizemore will play more games than Ellsbury in 2014.   Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, Sizemore will play more games than Ellsbury in 2014.   Wink

[/QUOTE]

That would be something wouldn't it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Pike will create 162 new board identities, each claiming that the board is dying.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lester will have a subpar year

Buccholz will pitch 30 games

Xander Bogaerts wins ROY and finishes top 10 in MVP

JBJ finishes in top 5 for ROY and becomes an everyday player by august

A certain poster in here will start a thread about Ortiz being washed up after a week slump

John Lackey will regress, but not that much...he will have a 2010 type season.

Vasquez will be getting time behind the plate by seasons end.

2 of Lavarnway/Nava/Carp/ and Brentz will be traded.

The Sox will trade from their plethora of young pitching by July 31st.

Fans will complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and act like they know everything based on 1 article they have read.  

[/QUOTE]

Lester will be even better!  Looking really good!  Could win as many as 20.

NO WAY Brentz is traded!  This kid is coming up SOON!  He's our future in RF!  If Vic gets hurt, we will see Brentz, not JBJ.

Nava stays!  No way he is dealt!  No way!

Lava is gone soon.

Carp may well be dealt.  I don't like it, but I'm trying to see how he can stay......

The rest is right on.

A for effort!  :)

[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I don't think so....look at Lesters stats the last 4 years.  Yes he has been good but he's been trending down. Best case scenario he hits a plateau on the way down but NO WAY he gets better and wins 20 games on this team.

There is absolutely no one in baseball who thinks Brentz is highly regarded compared to JBJ.  JBJ was in EVERYONE'S top 100 and Brentz was in ZERO top prospect lists.  He has a HUGE HUGE HUGE hole in his swing.  He is the prototypical second division starter that the sox trade away time and time and time again.

For what it's worth, Nava is the least likely of my list....but don't expect Brentz to be an everyday player in Boston anytime soon, and I'd put money on that.  I just got back from a week in Vegas, I'm pretty good at cards, I'm pretty good at winning money because I don't make bets I can lose.  

[/QUOTE]

Like JBJ doesn't have any holes in his swing??  You're the stat man, hasn't JBJ struck out a whole bunch of times this spring?    

P.S. I'm not on your case.  I know you're one of the best posters here  :)

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Someone drop a dime on 68

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lester will have a subpar year

Buccholz will pitch 30 games

Xander Bogaerts wins ROY and finishes top 10 in MVP

JBJ finishes in top 5 for ROY and becomes an everyday player by august

A certain poster in here will start a thread about Ortiz being washed up after a week slump

John Lackey will regress, but not that much...he will have a 2010 type season.

Vasquez will be getting time behind the plate by seasons end.

2 of Lavarnway/Nava/Carp/ and Brentz will be traded.

The Sox will trade from their plethora of young pitching by July 31st.

Fans will complain, and complain, and complain, and complain, and act like they know everything based on 1 article they have read.  

Lester will be even better!  Looking really good!  Could win as many as 20.

NO WAY Brentz is traded!  This kid is coming up SOON!  He's our future in RF!  If Vic gets hurt, we will see Brentz, not JBJ.

Nava stays!  No way he is dealt!  No way!

Lava is gone soon.

Carp may well be dealt.  I don't like it, but I'm trying to see how he can stay......

The rest is right on.

A for effort!  :)

[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I don't think so....look at Lesters stats the last 4 years.  Yes he has been good but he's been trending down. Best case scenario he hits a plateau on the way down but NO WAY he gets better and wins 20 games on this team.

There is absolutely no one in baseball who thinks Brentz is highly regarded compared to JBJ.  JBJ was in EVERYONE'S top 100 and Brentz was in ZERO top prospect lists.  He has a HUGE HUGE HUGE hole in his swing.  He is the prototypical second division starter that the sox trade away time and time and time again.

For what it's worth, Nava is the least likely of my list....but don't expect Brentz to be an everyday player in Boston anytime soon, and I'd put money on that.  I just got back from a week in Vegas, I'm pretty good at cards, I'm pretty good at winning money because I don't make bets I can lose.  

[/QUOTE]

Like JBJ doesn't have any holes in his swing??  You're the stat man, hasn't JBJ struck out a whole bunch of times this spring?    

P.S. I'm not on your case.  I know you're one of the best posters here  :)

[/QUOTE]

again it's spring training, and I'm not trying to say that JBJ would win a batting title this year, but I guarantee he would perform much better than many in here think. 

baseball Americas and MLP pipelines Jim Calis the other day said "don't be surprised if JBJ ends up with a higher career OBP than Ellsbury"  he has a very advanced approach at the plate, and I have very little doubt he is at least very close to carrying over his talents to the MLB level.  JBJ's stat line even in Pawtucket was at a level in which he was rushed too, and it was pretty impressive at .275/.374/.469 I suspect that is the kind of stat line he will put up in Boston.  I don't think he has the same power as Ellsbury, but I think he will have more consistent power; Ellsbury hit over 9 HR's once, I think JBJ will be a 10-15 guy every year and with better defense.   I'm not saying he will be better than Ells, but he will be a much better value.  And yes, he does still have holes in his swing, but he's been working on them and making adjustments, he was obviously rushed last year, and even if he still isn't ready I don't think it would be anywhere near as ugly this year....his defense might justify his average.

Of course this is all irrelevant because the odds of JBJ starting the year in Boston are diminishing by the day.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to dime68's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dime68's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of course, nobody can predict how well the team does this year. Nobody did it last year. Too many variables.

[/QUOTE]

The radio announer ( O'Brien?) who assists Castiglione said in a column today that everything went right in 2013. He said " It was magical". A complete opposite of 2012 where everything went wrong. These things happen in baseball. So many wins in late innings that were won with clutch hits and unexpected super relief pitching. It was really unexpected.  We should cherish the memories.

[/QUOTE]

So you will even report someone simply for saying that they actually did accurately predict the season as I did?

you really are insecure aren't you?

I do have to hand it to you, you seemed to be cracking, ready to admit to multiple monikers, but you've rallied nicely and will be committed...  to all new multiple identities 100%.   Perhaps even believe all identities equally.  Very impressive!  

You are one of a kind. ;)

again.....   Not to be arrogant, but yes.  It was me who said x+ (x+20) = 162,  sox win 92, at this time last year.

that's who could have predicted it.  I was still shocked at how much betteit than that it actually was.  

You?  Yeh!   Way OFF!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

RSDD, here I am, out on a limb!

Red Sox win AL East with 94-68 record.

Starting rotation: Lester wins 20, Lackey 16, Clay 14, Peavy 14, Doubront 11

Saves: Koji 31, Mujica 8, Tazawa 6

HRs: WMB 34, Napoli 30, Papi 28, Catchers 28, XB 23

RBIs: WMB 110, Papi 95, Napoli 90, Catchers 80, XB 75

XB wins ROY

Lester in top 5 for CY

WMB team MVP

Red Sox over Yankees in Wild Card

Red Sox over Tampa Bay for ALCS

Red Sox over Dodgers for WS

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RSDD, here I am, out on a limb!

Red Sox win AL East with 94-68 record.

Starting rotation: Lester wins 20, Lackey 16, Clay 14, Peavy 14, Doubront 11

Saves: Koji 31, Mujica 8, Tazawa 6

HRs: WMB 34, Napoli 30, Papi 28, Catchers 28, XB 23

RBIs: WMB 110, Papi 95, Napoli 90, Catchers 80, XB 75

XB wins ROY

Lester in top 5 for CY

WMB team MVP

Red Sox over Yankees in Wild Card

Red Sox over Tampa Bay for ALCS

Red Sox over Dodgers for WS

[/QUOTE]

You are sure to get honorable mention on POTY, as you are one of the few to give specifics.

Well done!

p.s.   perhaps if I change this to the POTY mouth award we will have more takers. ;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

My annual attempt at throwing random numbers out there and seeing what sticks:

-Pierzynski:  .255/.745, 14 HR, 65 RBI
    -Napoli: .276/.850, 28 HR, 95 RBI
    -Pedroia: .312/.846, 16 HR, 87 RBI
    -Bogaerts: .284/.825, 22 HR, 82 RBI
    -Middlebrooks: .260/.775, 30 HR, 75 RBI
    -Nava/Gomes platoon: combined .288/.860, 26 HR, 85 RBI
    -Sizemore: .266/.742, 10 HR, 45 RBI (102 games)
    -Victorino: .270/.750, 10 HR, 50 RBI (I do not have a good feeling about his health...he seems to be constantly dealing with one ailment or another, and I see some time on the DL this year.)
    -Ortiz: .295/.940, 28 HR, 100 RBI (Another year of Papi being Papi)
    -Bradley: .277/.760, 7 HR, 53 RBI (Will start season in the minors but not for long. Between the health of Sizemore and Victorino he will end up with 500+ PA's in the majors.)

-Lester: 15-9, 3.66
    -Buchholz: 20-5, 2.89 (Yes, he will finally stay healthy and put it all together. Top 3 in Cy Young voting.)
    -Lackey: 12-10, 3.95
    -Doubront: 14-12, 3.90 (Biggest breakout candidate, IMO, after Middy)
    -Peavy: 8-9, 4.16 (I want to predict a big year, but health may again prove an issue.)

-Uehara: 31 SV, 2.22 ERA
    -Mujica: 2.98 ERA as backup closer and setup man
    -Bill-806 returns and is jubilant because Workman, Britton, and De La Rosa are in the pen full-time and at least one of Barnes/Ranaudo/Owens is pushing for a rotation spot by playoff time.

-Red Sox win 95 games and return to the postseason.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

By the way, RSDD, are you from the Cape? I hail from Mashpee, originally...haven't been back in 15+ years, but I miss it all the time.

Sections
Shortcuts