Official 2014 BDC Red Sox player & team prediction tread. You will be held to account. closest becomes de facto POTY ;)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Official 2014 BDC Red Sox player & team prediction tread. You will be held to account. closest becomes de facto POTY ;)

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

By the way, RSDD, are you from the Cape? I hail from Mashpee, originally...haven't been back in 15+ years, but I miss it all the time.

We'd always spend 3 weeks in the summer on the Cape growing up.  Worked & lived on the Cape, summer employment for college.   Folks live there now in retirement, so we fly out every year for a month in the summer from Oregon.  

I live a world away now, but the Cape will always be home!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Official 2014 BDC Red Sox player & team prediction tread. You will be held to account. closest becomes de facto POTY ;)

15 years?  How could you stay away that long?  Best place on earth!

p.s.   glad to see a few serious posters dig deep for random numbers!  I have been putting mine together for a month, as I will not be denied the coveted POTY AWARD this year!

I spent countless seconds constructing my flawless analysis.  I hope hundreds more will sac up & spend an equally absurd amount of time with their specific predictions!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I’m going bold.

Rubby de la Rosa will lead the team in saves, but will not get his first one until after the closer role has already been relinquished by Koji Uehara, Edward Mujica and Junichi Tazawa. 

Will Middlebrooks will be traded on July 31 for the hideous crime of “simply not working out” and he will head to the Marlins.  In return, the Sox will not get Stanton but instead get Jacob Turner. 

Garin Cecchini will make his MLB debut in August, but Jonathan Herrera will see the bulk of the playing time at 3B after the Middlebrooks trade.  Other notable MLB debuts this year include Christian Vazquez, Anthony Ranaudo, Bryce Brentz and Alex Hassan.   Vazquez will establish himself. Ranaudo will have some successes.  Hassan will surprise (and emerge as a viable RHH platoon partner with Nava).  Brentz will flop, although many fans will ignore numerous failures and cling to his solitary 2-home run game as proof he belongs forever.

Allen Webster will take his place as a mainstay in the rotation by August, making the Turner trade look a little silly.

Xander Bogaerts will have a very solid albeit unspectacular year of .265 / .360 / .440 with 15HRs.  He will finish second in ROY balloting behind Masahiro Tanaka, enraging many Sox fans.

Grady Sizemore will play less than 40 games (not bold), but will be effective before getting injured.  Jackie Bradley inherits CF by June and establishes himself as the regular CF going forward with spectacular defense and a modest .245 / .360 / .370 slash line the rest of the way.

Mike Napoli will hit 30HRs and lead the team, ahead of Ortiz.   Third on the team in HRs will be Bogaerts, with his aforementioned 15.

Jonathan Herrera will lead the team in stolen bases despite stealing fewer than 20.  (BOLD!! Right, Shane?)

Jonny Gomes will play in the third fewest games of anyone on the roster all season, ahead of Dave Ross and Mike Carp. 

The Red Sox will make the post-season but not win it all.  However, they will succeed in providing their fans with over 500 hours of quality baseball entertainment…

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

RSDD, here I am, out on a limb!

Red Sox win AL East with 94-68 record.

Starting rotation: Lester wins 20, Lackey 16, Clay 14, Peavy 14, Doubront 11

Saves: Koji 31, Mujica 8, Tazawa 6

HRs: WMB 34, Napoli 30, Papi 28, Catchers 28, XB 23

RBIs: WMB 110, Papi 95, Napoli 90, Catchers 80, XB 75

XB wins ROY

Lester in top 5 for CY

WMB team MVP

Red Sox over Yankees in Wild Card

Red Sox over Tampa Bay for ALCS

Red Sox over Dodgers for WS

You are sure to get honorable mention on POTY, as you are one of the few to give specifics.

Well done!

p.s.   perhaps if I change this to the POTY mouth award we will have more takers. ;)

Thanks, RSDD.  I made a stupid mistake, having RS play the Yankees and Rays.  Cannot happen.  I'll switch those to the following:

RS over Yankees in ALDS

RS over A's in ALCS

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lester will win 18 games and be in the CY talks

Doubront will not hit a wall this year and surpass 15 wins

There will be 3 30HR players on the Sox this year

Sizemore will be healthy and play at least 130 games, Bradley will see a lot of time in Fenway due to Vic's reoccouring injuries and rest time for Size.

Xander will win ROTY

Middlebrooks will have a solid line of 270BA 315OBP and 490SLG and hit 30 bombs

New names we will see at some point this year

Vasquez, Brentz, Hassan, Webster, Ranaudo.

players to the ASG: Pedey, Lester, Papi, Sizemore, Bogaerts

Breakout years: Middy, Doubie

Comback player: Sizemore

94-68 win the ALE

Not making any WS predicitons, but they will make the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

15 years?  How could you stay away that long?  Best place on earth!

p.s.   glad to see a few serious posters dig deep for random numbers!  I have been putting mine together for a month, as I will not be denied the coveted POTY AWARD this year!

I spent countless seconds constructing my flawless analysis.  I hope hundreds more will sac up & spend an equally absurd amount of time with their specific predictions!

I'm with you there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Red Sox repeat! This is a no-brainer for anyone who follows what I say

Sizemore will surprise everyone. He wants it so much and sometimes that's all it takes along with natural talent.

While Ross has a good season, AJ will prove why we have him as veterans tend to do.

Bogaerts was worth the risk. Amazing for us.

Lester wins 18 games.

Napoli is our hr frontrunner.

Papi still makes it happen when it counts as he's always done.

Middlebrooks has his best year yet not having his gf on the sidelines.

Gomes is as clutch as ever.

Pedey just continues to be Pedey as usual. Dirty uniform and all.

Koji is the new Mariano. except he's ours. :)

K?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll give my complete detailed projections this weekend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Ron Washington will be the first manager to get fired in 2014.  The Rangers will struggle all year and not make the playoffs.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Moon will give us the blueprint.

Can't wait to read it!!!!

I know I said these were to written in stone.  No changes....  But, can I revise them after I read Moon?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know I said these were to written in stone.  No changes....  But, can I revise them after I read Moon?

I was pretty far off last year, except for Papi (DH) Nava (LF- I was wrong on Gomes vs LHPs)and Salty I was very close on our catching numbers), but I usually do it by position. I am going to change that this year and go by player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I was pretty far off last year, except for Papi (DH) Nava (LF- I was wrong on Gomes vs LHPs)and Salty I was very close on our catching numbers), but I usually do it by position. I am going to change that this year and go by player.

I will look forward to it.  I wish I could remember what thread I posted my numbers on last year, which is why I thought I better start my own thread. 

I guess I'm getting old?  51 is old in my family anyway. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Moon,

Who is this cat Guru_

NOT...... "He who should not be named!?!?"

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Who else will stand & be counted?

Did you all know that a free trip to Chelsea comes with this year's POTY award?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Since I never made rules per se, I'm thinking of upping my prediction to 94 - 68?  

Ok!  New rule.  You can make changes up until first swing opening day.  Unless of course we need to extend the deadline.  

i guess it's kind of like sign ups for Obamacare.

dang!  We're way behind the 7 million sign ups I had hoped for.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

C-Pierzynski will drive me mad with his unproffesional hacking AB's. David Ross will catch most of the games in the World Series....Again.

1B-Napoli will be slightly better then last year.

2B-Pedroia will be slightly better then last year.

SS-Bogaerts will get off to a slow start and will gradually get better. An OPS over 850 the second half.

3B-Middlberooks will produce an 800 OPS, however the Red Sox might trade him for you know who......

OF-The Red Sox will be so-so in the OF and will contemplate trading for you know who.....

DH-Papi will be mediocre this year.

BP-Will be excellent, but Koji will miss time.

Lester-Will be good.

Lackey-Will be good.

Buchholtz-Will be good.

Doubront-Will be solid.

Peavy-Will be the surprise player. All star.

Webster-Will be our best minor league call up.

We win the division by 3 games. Lose in the world series.

Sections
Shortcuts