Official Elias Free Agent rankings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Official Elias Free Agent rankings

From MLBTraderumors.com:

Once the regular season ended, the Elias Sports Bureau took all players over the 2010-11 period, divided them into five groups for each league, and ranked them based on various statistics.  Each player was labeled a Type A, B, or none.  Those designations and the possible accompanying arbitration offers determine draft pick compensation.  If a Type A free agent turns down an arbitration offer and signs a Major League deal elsewhere the losing team gets two draft picks, one of them coming from the new team.  If a Type B free agent turns down an arbitration offer and signs a Major League deal elsewhere the losing team gets one draft pick in the supplemental round, and it doesn't come from the new team.  Keep in mind that an arbitration offer is necessary for draft pick compensation.

The numbers beside the players' names represent their rankings. If teams sign more than one Type A free agent, one team gets a top compensation pick and other teams lose out. The team losing the highest-ranked free agent obtains the best pick the signing team can offer and other teams fall in line behind the team that loses the top-ranked player.

Type A

• C.C. Sabathia, Yankees - 95.930 (can opt out)
    • Brandon Phillips, Reds - 91.518 (club option)
    • Albert Pujols, Cardinals - 95.200
    • Prince Fielder, Brewers - 91.200
    • C.J. Wilson, Rangers - 90.988
    • David Ortiz, Red Sox - 86.000
    • Ryan Madson, Phillies - 82.948
    • Rafael Soriano, Yankees - 82.217 (can opt out)
    • Heath Bell, Padres - 81.437
    • Carlos Beltran, Giants - 80.879 (cannot be offered arbitration)
    • Jonathan Papelbon, Red Sox - 80.292
    • Ramon Hernandez, Reds - 78.947
    • Roy Oswalt, Phillies - 78.350
    • Michael Cuddyer, Twins - 77.671
    • Josh Willingham, Athletics - 77.534
    • Kyle Farnsworth, Rays - 76.586 (club option)
    • Kelly Johnson, Blue Jays - 74.725
    • Matt Capps, Twins - 73.788
    • Darren Oliver, Rangers - 72.880
    • Jose Reyes, Mets - 77.249
    • Jimmy Rollins, Phillies - 76.720
    • Francisco Rodriguez, Brewers - 75.671
    • Octavio Dotel, Cardinals - 70.922 (club option)
    • Takashi Saito, Brewers - 69.627
    • Francisco Cordero, Reds - 68.486 (club option)

Type B

• Aramis Ramirez, Cubs - 71.978
    • Mark Ellis, Rockies - 71.429
    • Rod Barajas, Dodgers - 70.489
    • Vladimir Guerrero, Orioles - 70.000
    • Alex Gonzalez, Braves - 69.312
    • Mark Buehrle, White Sox - 68.508
    • Jason Kubel, Twins - 68.219
    • Frank Francisco, Blue Jays - 68.211
    • Raul Ibanez, Phillies - 68.022
    • Ryan Doumit, Pirates - 67.857
    • Bruce Chen, Royals - 67.248
    • Hiroki Kuroda, Dodgers - 66.422
    • Chris Snyder, Pirates - 65.414
    • Brad Lidge, Phillies - 64.477
    • David DeJesus, Athletics - 64.384
    • Derrek Lee, Pirates - 64.000
    • Magglio Ordonez, Tigers - 63.288
    • Edwin Jackson, Cardinals - 63.154
    • Ryan Ludwick, Pirates - 62.637
    • Aaron Hill, Diamondbacks - 62.500 (club option)
    • Yuniesky Betancourt, Brewers - 61.905
    • Kerry Wood, Cubs - 61.764
    • Freddy Garcia, Yankees - 61.240
    • Juan Pierre, White Sox - 61.233
    • Jon Rauch, Blue Jays - 61.083 (club option)
    • Jason Frasor, White Sox - 60.976 (club option)
    • Dan Wheeler, Red Sox - 60.905 (club option)
    • Cody Ross, Giants - 60.879
    • Aaron Harang, Padres - 60.294 (mutual option)
    • Wilson Betemit - 59.740
    • Jose Molina, Blue Jays - 59.586
    • Carlos Pena, Cubs - 59.200
    • Pat Burrell, Giants - 59.121
    • Arthur Rhodes, Cardinals - 59.019
    • Shawn Camp, Blue Jays - 57.680
    • Jason Varitek, Red Sox - 57.143
    • Rafael Furcal, Cardinals - 56.085 (club option)
    • Clint Barmes, Astros - 55.556

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: Official Elias Free Agent rankings

Don't see too many type A FAs that the Sox could sign on the cheap.  This is not one of the better years for players on the FA list. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Wakefield is a Type F

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Willingham/Cuddyer seems like a very reasonable move if it can come as something like 2-3 years for 10/15 million.

I would also consider shots at Rauch, Wood, Doumit and Buehrle if they can come cheap, and do one of them Yankee jonesers to Doumit and Rauch where they sit around in the Minors and earn a shot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Varitek is a Type F

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

In Response to Re: Official Elias Free Agent rankings:
    [QUOTE]Willingham/Cuddyer seems like a very reasonable move if it can come as something like 2-3 years for 10/15 million. I would also consider shots at Rauch, Wood, Doumit and Buehrle if they can come cheap, and do one of them Yankee jonesers to Doumit and Rauch where they sit around in the Minors and earn a shot.
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]
    I would not take Willingham or Cuddyer because of their type A staus. Either of them on a two year contract, with decent hitting and bad defense is not worth the draft picks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield is a Type F
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

How much do you hate Wakefield because Moon likes him, and how much does Moon like him because you hate him? I sometimes wonder about that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

You can guarantee that Moonslob's Wakefield fixation is catatonic. As the resident board homey, he has to defend a 45 year old pitcher who has been a 5 plus ERA T-ball act who cost almost 4 million dollars in 2011!.

I don't hate Wakefield, I disdain Theo for offering him his last FA contract and I disdain the terrible performance from Wakefield and his entitlement approach to a Red Sox roster spot. He needs to retire or play elsewhere. Millions for Wakefield should be replaced by younger veterans and younger farm players seeking opportunity.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't even like Wake or Tek. I am just defending the truth vs all the lies and distortions.

Darren Oliver? Type A? Yuck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Official Elias Free Agent rankings : I would not take Willingham or Cuddyer because of their type A staus. Either of them on a two year contract, with decent hitting and bad defense is not worth the draft picks.
    Posted by soxforlife22[/QUOTE]

They are Type A's, but if they aren't offered arbitration, there is no compensation. I don't see either team offering them arbitration because their is always the chance they take it, and given the year both of them had, they probably would get raises.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They will likely be offered arb, and if they accept and get a big payday, could be traded. These teams want the draft picks in a bad way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I kinda like Cody Ross for a RF Platoon...and hes a type b, so we dont have to give up a draft pick..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I think we need to scour the type B's for bullpen, RF, and SP help.  If we do not resign Papi and paps then we can pick up a type A or 2 and still net extra picks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Lots of rumors about the Sox persuing Carlos Beltran for RF.He'll be expensive,but won't cost a draft pick.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/10/report-red-sox-could-make-run-at-carlos-beltran.html

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/carlos_beltran/

http://www.redsoxhub.com/mlb-trade-rumors/heyman-on-beltran-reds-fielder-cba/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would have loved Beltran prior... but he does not help as get any younger. I would rather take a chance on Sizemore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I say avoid the big free agents this year.  The Sox have been so bad that I would just sign a bunch of low budget guys and perhaps find 1 or 2 players who can help.  Keep your money for the trade deadline moves and adding during the season.  I do remember when Theo first took over they brought in a bunch of player at low cost to help the team...Ortiz was one that worked out.   Others didn't but the plan got us some good players to help the team and at low cost. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Beltran value is 1 year and 2M plus incentives. Mistake to offer market rate.

I don't even like Wake or Tek. I am just defending the truth vs all the lies and distortions.

Always a lie to preface an opinion with this attempt to claim indenpendent mind. Of course you like Wake and Tek, enough to call them by their fan favorite nicknames.

Wakefield is 45 and washed up. You advocate a FA contract of million(s) and a gifted MLB roster spot. Varitek is 40 years old and washed up, unable to finish the last 2 seasons despite being a seldom used part-time player. 

I like Timmy T-Ball and Varisuk, I am just defending all the lies and prevarications.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]I kinda like Cody Ross for a RF Platoon...and hes a type b, so we dont have to give up a draft pick..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I like this thought too.  In theory, they are only looking to bring in a guy who starts in RF against LHP.  Ross played regularly in all 3 OF positions in SF, which is a huge park, so he provides a RH bat that gives some versatility.  I think it is an inexpensive move that addresses a need.  He has .282 (.350 OBP) career average against LHP.

I can't say I know what his personality is like but he strikes me as the kind of guy the Red Sox could use in the clubhouse.  He is has been around a little bit but is in no way old (30 yrs old) and played on a World Series winner 2 years ago.  Strikes me as a high character "gamer" type.  Maybe in the Bill Mueller mold.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I really hope the Sox save their money and hope for big years out of Crawford, Kalish, Iglelias, Doubront and Bowden, amongst others. That said I would think the Sox would talk to player's like, type A player's, Ryan Madsen, Carlos Beltran, Roy Oswalt, Michael Cuddyer, Matt Capps, and Francisco Rodriguez.
    I would rather sign two type B player's than any of the above, Mark Buehrle and Jason Kubel.
    I would try to resign Papelbon and let Ortiz walk.
    Really the Sox were at the top of the league for four months, so a major overhaul is  not necessary, just a couple of pieces and of course the present player's getting in top shape, and doing away with the nonsense that went on last season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Beltran value is 1 year and 2M plus incentives. Mistake to offer market rate.

This is why softy's "plan" is always so absurd. His idea of value is back in the stone ages.

Always a lie to preface an opinion with this attempt to claim indenpendent mind. Of course you like Wake and Tek, enough to call them by their fan favorite nicknames.

I do not like Wake or VTek. I rooted for them because they were Sox players. They are probably my 24th and 25th favorite players on the 25 man end of season roster.

Your logic is warped. Becuase I call them Wake and VTek as some fans do, that proves something. Read back on this thread and see how many people who hate or dump on VTek and Wake call them by the same name. You have gone totally bonkers.

Wakefield is 45 and washed up. You advocate a FA contract of million(s) and a gifted MLB roster spot.

I have never said offer more than $1.5M for Wake, so you distort again.

Varitek is 40 years old and washed up, unable to finish the last 2 seasons despite being a seldom used part-time player. 

"seldom used" just happens to be the 3rd most innings caught by any MLB back-up catcher. You never view anything in context. Everything is black and white.

I like Timmy T-Ball and Varisuk, I am just defending all the lies and prevarications.  

You stopped calling Beckett a "fat and lazy union slug" this season.
    I wonder why.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Varitek is a Type F

He's a Type B.  Never too late to learn your letters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

This is why softy's "plan" is always so absurd. His idea of value is back in the stone ages.

Yes, my value on Lackey was 3 years and 30M. Yours was 5 years and 85 mlliion. Pay attention, you might learn something. Kemp's value to the Red Sox is 20M and 8 years.

Your idea of value is a porkulis dollar.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No, he's a Type F. Never too late for you to learn what 40 years old means. Learn your numbers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]This is why softy's "plan" is always so absurd. His idea of value is back in the stone ages. Yes, my value on Lackey was 3 years and 30M. Yours was 5 years and 85 mlliion. Pay attention, you might learn something. Kemp's value to the Red Sox is 20M and 8 years. Your idea of value is a porkulis dollar.

You said Lackey was signed for a year too long, not 3. When you found out the injury clause on the last year, you said it was a "good deal, a bit of an overpay, but necessary."

Stop the lies.

I said we overpaid, but thought it was a good deal. The difference is, I admit it. You  don't.

You still have never answered why Kemp would agree to extend with a team you say is racist, in a city you call racist, and for less money than you say the Yanks will pay him one year later.

Keep dreaming of "Jake trades" and kitties, and bunnies...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

You said Lackey was signed for a year too long, not 3. When you found out the injury clause on the last year, you said it was a "good deal, a bit of an overpay, but necessary."

False. I said he was a prima donna who should not be offered more than 3 years and 30M. Since Inepstein was heelbent on blowing money on one of the 3 big free agents of that winter, I said he was the only one that made any sense at all. I never once said it was a good deal or necessary. I said it was a gross overpay! I didn't find out about the injury clause, it was part of the original pronouncement. I said if Lackey goes down, it makes an absurd 16.5 base about a 13 base and more palatable. 

Stop with the prevarications.

And Joe, you need cognitive help not to realize that Type F simply means Varitek stinks, not what his Elias rating is over a multi-year period.

So, Joe, let's not discuss Varitek's player capability at 40 years old. You think he is good, I know he stinks. Tell the reader how much you are going to offer Varitek? And do you think he can finish a season resting 2/3 of the season. LOL.