Official "HOT STOVE" thread for 2013 .............

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Key2Delock. Show Key2Delock's posts

Any Trade Value For Players Ready To Pack?

Cook and Matsuzaka are free agents, right?  What kind of trade value do Aceves, Aviles, Bard. Ellsbury and Saltalamacchia have right now?

If Bard, Ellsbury and Saltalamacchia aren't traded before Spring Training, would it be safer to keep them until the next trade deadline?  Assume that Aceves probably goes elsewhere under any circumstances.  Not sure that Aviles will get a Major League contract, so would he be worth offering a Minor League contract with some reasonable incentives if he makes the roster, letting him go to Spring Training to compete, and then keeping him at Pawtucket as a backup in case of injury to Iglesias or Ciriaco?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Official

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The following players can "START PACKING" !!!  ............   Cook, Aceves, Bard, Avilies, Jacoby, Salty......... Obviously there will be others.........

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  That would work. Why not throw in Pedroia?  And Ortiz ? We can start over with a ten year plan. It has worked out great with guys like Papelbon, Reddick  Youkilis and AGon packing their bags..  That is  why we have a cellar dwelling club.  Maybe Ben can trade them for more stiffs like Cook, Sweeney, Stewart and Loney.   Or maybe he can wise up and keep our best players, while acquiring guys like Chapman, Darvish and Cespedes.  Question: What will Ben do ?   What we have seen so far has not been good.  Ben will be judged on how he spends the money saved on the give away to the Dodgers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

This is the first year in the last 50 that I had little to no interest in the Sox. I knew that Larry Luchino was running the show and that he would botch just about every decision he would make. Bobby V wasn't allowed to pick his own coaches or the players he could keep on the 25 man roster coming out of ST. Pedro Ciriaco had won a spot on the roster in ST but we had to keep both Aviles and Punto,yikes! The kid tore the cover off the ball at times and he's as fast as Ellsbury!So the obvious choice was to send him to the minors. The Sox made no offer to Paps and decided to trade for Bailey,Beckett was just who he's always been a spoiled brat with the worst clubhouse cancer in Sox history. Oh well some of the positives were over shadowed by all of the losses,like the emergance of Felix Doubrant and Franklin Morales even Clay Buccholz finally pitched well. There will be many changes this off season. Unfortunately for Bobby V he will be the first to feel the axe,while players who thought they were untouchable will be shopped. The Sox have a good group of youngsters waiting in the wings. I can't wait for the rest of the house cleaning and the First protected draft choice in Sox history Mark Appel anyone?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The following players can "START PACKING" !!!  ............   Cook, Aceves, Bard, Avilies, Jacoby, Salty......... Obviously there will be others.........

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  That would work. Why not throw in Pedroia?  And Ortiz ? We can start over with a ten year plan. It has worked out great with guys like Papelbon, Reddick  Youkilis and AGon packing their bags..  That is  why we have a cellar dwelling club.  Maybe Ben can trade them for more stiffs like Cook, Sweeney, Stewart and Loney.   Or maybe he can wise up and keep our best players, while acquiring guys like Chapman, Darvish and Cespedes.  Question: What will Ben do ?   What we have seen so far has not been good.  Ben will be judged on how he spends the money saved on the give away to the Dodgers.

[/QUOTE]

Agree...the FO will let the fans know this winter which direction this team will be going in next few years.  The money is back in their pockets...will they dig deep or ...?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-Tell Papi to come back with his best offer and we'll beat it.  I like papi, but we really don't have to do better than that.

2-See what Detroit is going to do with VMart.  He is worth more to us as a 1B than he is to Detroit as a DH, plus they might to move Miggy to DH.  Check to see what the NYMs intend to do with Davis.

3-Throw Iggy in and don't look back.

4-Aviles did okay and should have minor trade value.  Make Ciriaco the UIF.

5-Trade for Lee even if it is a bit of an overpay.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tell Papi to come back with his best offer and we'll beat it.  I like papi, but we really don't have to do better than that.

It's hard to prove what another team offers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Ciriaco, ideal utility man. VMart at first-base? Is he risky defensively? I do not know. I'd love to offer Ortiz exactly $1 more than any other team, he will of couse be insulted but I win either way by getting rid of him even though I offered him the best deal.... by a dollar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tell Papi to come back with his best offer and we'll beat it.  I like papi, but we really don't have to do better than that.

[/QUOTE]

No matter how yo slice it Moonman, the truck must be backed up and the garbage disposed of----and we have a lot of that.  Aceves, Cook, Matuzaka, Loney, Gomez, Padilla, among others must be the first to go.  Aviles is an undisciplined hitter and poor with the OBA.  He is a utility man at best and if Iglesias cannot show he can hit we cannot afford to carry such a hitting stiff in the lineup. We should resign Ross and trade for pitching even if it means giving up a decent prospect or two.  We simply cannot count on Buchholz and Lester to act and ace and No. 2 man. They don't seem to be either physically or emotionally equipped for those roles.  Right now I lean towards resigning Ortiz because suddenly the team cannot hit, but if he wants two years or more let him try and get it elsewhere.  He has now a physical risk, just as Ellsbury is.  He may have to be traded for pitching, but here too we might have trouble peddling him since he has one year be fore FA.  I think teams would want some of our young prospects who are protected for six years rather than a one year rental.  What would be better is if Ells comes back with a decent year and we can resign him.  Say what you will but give a full shot at the catching spot.  I really believe he is the answer there.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

For the first time since anyone here can remember the DH spot is ripe for what makes the most sense: rotating starters through to give them some rest from defense without losing the bat.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

No matter how yo slice it Moonman, the truck must be backed up and the garbage disposed of----and we have a lot of that.  Aceves, Cook, Matuzaka, Loney, Gomez, Padilla, among others must be the first to go.  Aviles is an undisciplined hitter and poor with the OBA.  He is a utility man at best and if Iglesias cannot show he can hit we cannot afford to carry such a hitting stiff in the lineup. We should resign Ross and trade for pitching even if it means giving up a decent prospect or two.  We simply cannot count on Buchholz and Lester to act and ace and No. 2 man. They don't seem to be either physically or emotionally equipped for those roles.  Right now I lean towards resigning Ortiz because suddenly the team cannot hit, but if he wants two years or more let him try and get it elsewhere.  He has now a physical risk, just as Ellsbury is.  He may have to be traded for pitching, but here too we might have trouble peddling him since he has one year be fore FA.  I think teams would want some of our young prospects who are protected for six years rather than a one year rental.  What would be better is if Ells comes back with a decent year and we can resign him.  Say what you will but give a full shot at the catching spot.  I really believe he is the answer there.

I agree with everything here, except the Ellsbury point.

I agree that teams want our prospects more than our 1 or 2 year "rentals", but those players do have value to several teams and could net us a few decent prospects, which we could then flip to obtain better prospects or ML young players... 3 for 1 deals and the like.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

All great posts so far.......  If we can keep this going day by day, the ownership will need to pay attention......  Keep Luccianno's away from B-Ball OPPS  !!!

[/QUOTE]

Ownership will need to pay attention to us?? Are you for real ? Go get a bike or take long walks. Get a life and move on from here !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For the first time since anyone here can remember the DH spot is ripe for what makes the most sense: rotating starters through to give them some rest from defense without losing the bat.

[/QUOTE]

The only "bats" the Sox wouldn't want to lose to a day off right now is Ross and Pedroia.

It won't easy to replace Ortiz's production. Just look at the team record since he's been out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only "bats" the Sox wouldn't want to lose to a day off right now is Ross and Pedroia.

It won't easy to replace Ortiz's production. Just look at the team record since he's been out.

[/QUOTE]

There might be other teams that employ a DH who cannot play a position as well, but I don't know of any. They are certainly in the minority. Ortiz has been great for this organization, no doubt about it. However, if we are planning to make a run at the playoffs in 2014 it doesn't make sense to give a two year contract to a star who is aging. His productivity may well fall and his time on the DL is likely to increase. Let HIM take that risk, not the team. One year contract, no more than that.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

A rotation of 5"s same as last year. 5 innings, 5 earned runs... though he did not give up any runs this time.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Ben should be gone also

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

2 major free agents - Jake Peavy and Mike Napoli.   Peavy (or Haren, if available) is projected by many rank amatuers for a 3 year deal.  Livable!!

Napoli might consider the pillow contract, although if he had a clue he wouldn't.  He won't ever hit like 2011 again, but he might be a good C/1B/DH option for Boston, freeing up Lavarnway for a trade and moving Saltalamacchia to the bench a little more often...

Sections
Shortcuts