Official "HOT STOVE" thread for 2013 .............

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Official

Of course, at some point a LF will be needed too...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

If im ben cherington, heres the players that will be back next year + some possibilities for pick ups:

ellsbury (cf)

pedroia (2b)

j.upton (rf, big acquisition, big right handed bat)

middlebrooks (3b)

ortiz (chances are he stays, Dh)

d.young (lf, delmon is an intruiging option to fill our left field vacancy, he will be 27 yrs old when he hits free agency which is relatively young and was a former 1st overall pick, he is also only 2 years removed .298, 21 homers, 112 rbi, 46 doubles season, and could pepper the green monster)

lavarnway/salty (c, both could be back, lava for sure unless he is traded)

iglesias (i think he starts the year at short,ss)

1b is currently a mystery, i have no idea who will be starting there next season. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Bobby V., we hardly knew THEE  !!!!!   What a year..... Bobby was the fall guy and certainly the "spark" that creates the "drama driven, hang on every word Boston media"  This is going to be fun to watch.....  Enjoy !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Please join me in a very serious BaseBall ONLY thread for 2013.......  1/ You will see a more defined front office with Ben C. being in "charge" of "ALL" BaseBall functions, including the "manager" .........      2/Bobby V. is gone, between the last 2 days of the season or no later than 2 days after.........   It will be an interesting offseason, for sure !!! What say you ?????

Probably the most important off season for Red Sox in 20+ years. Ben C has his work cut out for him and if team struggles anywhere near what it did last year, Ben will be joining Bob V in unemployment line. Lets face it in Theo's time here 90 wins wasn't good enough. Make all the excuses you want that Theo left a mess, its still a bottom line bussiness.
    Start w/ Pitching- Ben must come up w/ at least 2 starters. Hope he starts w/ T.B. who reportedly might make Davis Price available because they can not afford him. Also a back of the rotation starter, I was in favor of a Paul Maholm last year. I'm tired of RS trying these guys coming back from injuries [A.Cook/Smoltz/etc....]

Bullpen- Like what I saw from most of bullpen other than closer. Maybe Aceves gets his chance at rotation finally if they choose to keep this loose cannon. Tazawa should he get chance at rotation? after dominating 2nd half in pen. Willing to see what Bailey can do if healthy as closer. Hopefully Bard can regain form as a top set up man, makes pen even stronger. 

Infield- Need a 1b. Not in favor of bringing Youk back, think he is done. LaRoche had a good year w/ Ariz. is available [probably not too expensive] or do RS believe 25 yr old Sands acquired from Dodgers can do job, he's put up good numbers at AAA or M.Gomez is ready. Try to give Iggy 1st chance at SS but must show he's able to hit at least .250 w/ 300 obp @ mlb level. Pedroia & Middlebrooks round it out.

Outfield- I move Jacoby to left field, where his week arm doesn't show as much, bring up Jackie Bradley to play CF. Resign Ross to play RF. Hopefully Kalish w/ full off season healthy comes back and pushes for starting job if not starts year as 4th OF. Trade Sweeney for pitching.

DH- given Ortiz gets his 2 years even w/ injury he's earned it.

Overall RS can be back in playoff mix in a hurry if they can shore up rotation. If Price is available have no problems dealing M.Barnes+ to get it done. I don't give big $ to someone like K.Lohse or Josh Hamilton to fill a need its what got RS in touble in 1st place. As for Mgr how about righting a wrong and bringing Francona back, sorry too many big ego's in RS FO to ever admit they were wrong. But biggest thing is health, RS just can't seem to stay healthy. Last year I was all in favor of changing med. staff but this year it seemed even worse. Can they at least diagnose an injury and get a return date for player and get it somewhat close? or is it just bad luck or a bunch of brittle players?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Please join me in a very serious BaseBall ONLY thread for 2013.......  1/ You will see a more defined front office with Ben C. being in "charge" of "ALL" BaseBall functions, including the "manager" .........      2/Bobby V. is gone, between the last 2 days of the season or no later than 2 days after.........   It will be an interesting offseason, for sure !!! What say you ?????

Probably the most important off season for Red Sox in 20+ years. Ben C has his work cut out for him and if team struggles anywhere near what it did last year, Ben will be joining Bob V in unemployment line. Lets face it in Theo's time here 90 wins wasn't good enough. Make all the excuses you want that Theo left a mess, its still a bottom line bussiness.
    Start w/ Pitching- Ben must come up w/ at least 2 starters. Hope he starts w/ T.B. who reportedly might make Davis Price available because they can not afford him. Also a back of the rotation starter, I was in favor of a Paul Maholm last year. I'm tired of RS trying these guys coming back from injuries [A.Cook/Smoltz/etc....]

Bullpen- Like what I saw from most of bullpen other than closer. Maybe Aceves gets his chance at rotation finally if they choose to keep this loose cannon. Tazawa should he get chance at rotation? after dominating 2nd half in pen. Willing to see what Bailey can do if healthy as closer. Hopefully Bard can regain form as a top set up man, makes pen even stronger. 

Infield- Need a 1b. Not in favor of bringing Youk back, think he is done. LaRoche had a good year w/ Ariz. is available [probably not too expensive] or do RS believe 25 yr old Sands acquired from Dodgers can do job, he's put up good numbers at AAA or M.Gomez is ready. Try to give Iggy 1st chance at SS but must show he's able to hit at least .250 w/ 300 obp @ mlb level. Pedroia & Middlebrooks round it out.

Outfield- I move Jacoby to left field, where his week arm doesn't show as much, bring up Jackie Bradley to play CF. Resign Ross to play RF. Hopefully Kalish w/ full off season healthy comes back and pushes for starting job if not starts year as 4th OF. Trade Sweeney for pitching.

DH- given Ortiz gets his 2 years even w/ injury he's earned it.

Overall RS can be back in playoff mix in a hurry if they can shore up rotation. If Price is available have no problems dealing M.Barnes+ to get it done. I don't give big $ to someone like K.Lohse or Josh Hamilton to fill a need its what got RS in touble in 1st place. As for Mgr how about righting a wrong and bringing Francona back, sorry too many big ego's in RS FO to ever admit they were wrong. But biggest thing is health, RS just can't seem to stay healthy. Last year I was all in favor of changing med. staff but this year it seemed even worse. Can they at least diagnose an injury and get a return date for player and get it somewhat close? or is it just bad luck or a bunch of brittle players?

[/QUOTE]

Too many things wrong to even consider you a red sox fan...

Tampa WILL NOT trade Price to Bost

Ross CANNOT play rf

Bradley IS NOT ready yet

Sands and Gomez are AAAA players, that it...The red sox have had one of the top 3 payrolls for many yrs and have been playoff and ws contenders for a lot of those yrs. you gotta have studs ( Pedro, schilling,manny, papi, etc...) and spend for them to be consistent playoff caliber team yrnon and yr out. Hamilton would be a good start if they wanted to compete in 2014 imo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hamilton might be good for a couple years if he can stay healthy and on the wagon. But that 20mm+ contract will look awful come 2015...

David Price??? Hes not a FA until 2016...Now, James Shields will have his option picked up and possibly traded shortly after that, but The Rays would ask for a lot more from their AL rivals than a team in another division no doubt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hamilton might be good for a couple years if he can stay healthy and on the wagon. But that 20mm+ contract will look awful come 2015...

David Price??? Hes not a FA until 2016...Now, James Shields will have his option picked up and possibly traded shortly after that, but The Rays would ask for a lot more from their AL rivals than a team in another division no doubt.

[/QUOTE]

Hamilton I,m. confidant would AT LEAST put up Papi numbers of the last few yrs and we paid him 15 m this yr. So it is not too big of a hit. At the start of 2015 season he ll be 33. You gotta pay for middle of the order guys south, it's that simple. They make everybody in the line up better. You know that....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hamilton I,m. confidant would AT LEAST put up Papi numbers of the last few yrs and we paid him 15 m this yr. So it is not too big of a hit. At the start of 2015 season he ll be 33. You gotta pay for middle of the order guys south, it's that simple. They make everybody in the line up better. You know that....

[/QUOTE]

If we could get JH on a 4yr deal Id be OK with it. If hes asking for a deal similar to CC then I pass...Its not so much about the player as it is the Age, years, and the money...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If we could get JH on a 4yr deal Id be OK with it. If hes asking for a deal similar to CC then I pass...

[/QUOTE]

If pojols got 10 yrs 240m, and is actually older than JH. What do you think JH is gonna get.? The length will be at least 6 yrs. prob 140m. Crawford was a bad signingbecause he,s a speed guy. Never was a middle of the order guy. JH will still be able to play 1b and DH in yrs 4,5 and 6 and put up 300, 30, 100 imo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wideright. Show wideright's posts

After what we have seen from Lavarnway, not sure why so many have confidence in him as a hitter. He may rebound, but far from certain. Bradley needs probably as least one more minor league season, he started well in double a, but really cooled off.

Someone metioned Jason Upton, nice player, but his stats are not great. Like his brother his promise seems to this point more than his production.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli might consider the pillow contract, although if he had a clue he wouldn't.  He won't ever hit like 2011 again, but he might be a good C/1B/DH option for Boston

Haren is an obvious value bust. No way should the Red Sox offer him a market rate FA contract. Better to go with several old men starting pitcher one year market base contract offers. Ditto on Peavy, who is an even worse value bust than Danny boy.

I agree on Napoli, but, to avoid the third contract year and get a better balance on splits, I would first see if the Tigers would sell VMart's last 2 contract years for farm scraps. I think they would. If not, Napoli is a fit, assuming his market base isn't grossly inflated due to another team bidding way beyond his production value.

[/QUOTE]  Spot on TROTTER  !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I hope that we stay away from John Farrell.......  We can do better than that !!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I hope that we stay away from John Farrell.......  We can do better than that !!!

When you're right you're right. Arnie Beyeler should get a long look as the potential replacement for Bobby V.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If we could get JH on a 4yr deal Id be OK with it. If hes asking for a deal similar to CC then I pass...

[/QUOTE]

If pojols got 10 yrs 240m, and is actually older than JH. What do you think JH is gonna get.? The length will be at least 6 yrs. prob 140m. Crawford was a bad signingbecause he,s a speed guy. Never was a middle of the order guy. JH will still be able to play 1b and DH in yrs 4,5 and 6 and put up 300, 30, 100 imo

[/QUOTE]

You know how i feel by now after all the $$ this team just threw around MM. Hamilton will turn 34 at the start of 2015 (May) and 35 in 2016. Thats as far as Id go with him.  AP got 10yrs and if Hamilton is asking for 8yrs around 160-200MM, which I think he will, do you give it to him? realize he will be 40 in his final year. IMO, Hes going to ask for more tha 6 years and I think someone will be dumb enough to do it. I just hope its NOT the Sox.

If the Sox sign him and alreadly have younger a 1b by then, he wont play there and then we will be paying a guy whos on the wrong side of 35 to be a DH for 20+mm a year for possibly 4+ years...People are already complaining about paying Ortiz for 2 more years, and he is still putting up the numbers, has proven he can play in Boston and succeed, and doesnt have the past/current issues JH has. I agree with you that Hamilton can help this team offensively for the next 3-4 years...Where we differ is the final 3-4 years of that deal which IMO will be 7-8 years and north of 20mm per...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OK the manager gets fired for what? Having to use the players upper management wanted too play,also Bobby V wasn't allowed to pick one coach. Hogwash the guy whose skrewwing the pouch is Larry numbnuts Lucchino. He's an egomaniac out of control! Ben Cherrington will be out of a job by next September. The best options for the Sox is first of all finding a number one starter cause Bucky and Lester aren't even close.Maybe Ruby DelaRosa is but until they see him pitch he's just a prospect.Barnes has the makings but the Sox have to take a chance that he's ready. So Grienke is the best availible pitcher on the market go get him. Next question is whether to go after Hamilton or not?I say it's a no brainer you need another bat to provide protection for Papi.Sign him up! If Felix the King becomes availible and the price doesn't include Ruby DelaRosa and Barnes make the trade...Bard should have been put in the pen as a set up guy maybe he can regain his confidence. Tazawa was a big surprise so we will have depth in the pen and Bailey will return too form. Iggy will be the starting SS come April 4th. Boegarts has the bat but Iggy's glove is pure gold!!!!!! Sands did really well at AAA so if Gomez continues to slip maybe they found a hidden gem in Sands to play 1B or not....There's always Reynaldo Rodriguez......If the sox want to win they should hire Tony LaRussa as their next manager and make sure he brings Duncan with him...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

Ells Yes Ortiz Yes Salty to 1b Farrell No Kalish No Nava No

Sox need #3 Starter,(Could it be Webster or de la Rosa), also SS(Iglesisas glove ready bat no) Can Salty play 1b( keeps his bat which could suffer being a catcher) need left fielder and right handed bat as the team is left handed. Ross to RF, Ells in CF and signed to long term deal. Bullpen the arms could be there just no pitching coach this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to pike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sportsbozo, why bother narrowing down the scapegoat from BV to the FO. The FO didn't make the starting pitching collapse and send 30 players to the DL with injuries. The FO put an AAA lineup on the field because of all of the injuries. If we had these injuries in 2004 and 2007 - no WS trophy.

[/QUOTE]

Really? Seems the A's and O's who neither are stacked with gluttonous all*stars have had plenty of injuries this year. Try reading up on the realities of the rest of baseball before you come here with your numb-nuts useless blathering.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldson50. Show oldson50's posts

In response to poprox13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Get pitching, a SS and 1B

[/QUOTE]

And 2 or 3 OFs, and a catcher

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I am thrilled to see Terry Francona back at the helm again......  Gooood for the Indians, and very gooood for Baseball !!!    A class act that will be welcomed back in Fenway, all-be-it in the opposite dugout !!!!   You go Terry !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sportsbozo, why bother narrowing down the scapegoat from BV to the FO. The FO didn't make the starting pitching collapse and send 30 players to the DL with injuries. The FO put an AAA lineup on the field because of all of the injuries. If we had these injuries in 2004 and 2007 - no WS trophy.

[/QUOTE]

Really? Seems the A's and O's who neither are stacked with gluttonous all*stars have had plenty of injuries this year. Try reading up on the realities of the rest of baseball before you come here with your numb-nuts useless blathering.

[/QUOTE]Just my opinion which until they make you the Boston dot com sensor I'll continue to express that LL was and still is the main reason for the Sox not allowing the manager full reign. As for injuries they happen to every team so I don't prescribe to that as a viable excuse for putting a AAA team on the field. That squarely falls on the shoulders of upper management.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]If the Queen had balls no king!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Question being.......  How long is it going to take to get a manager ?????   Also, with every passing day, I think that the John Farrell talk cools off !!