Official Scorer Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Official Scorer Question

How can the Granderson play NOT be an error? His errorless streak continues, FWIW. As someone wittingly said in the Game thread yesterday, score it an error DSuck.

I know what the usual criteria for an error is; I just feel the scorer should use his/her discretion in addition.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Official Scorer Question

the scoring now favors the home teams. Use to be a hit was a hit, error and error. another change, in the best interest of the player, not the game

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Official Scorer Question:
    [QUOTE]the scoring now favors the home teams. Use to be a hit was a hit, error and error. another change, in the best interest of the player, not the game
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Technically, they rarely call an error if the ball never touches your glove, and its always been that way -  and it's stupid IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Official Scorer Question : Technically, they rarely call an error if the ball never touches your glove, and its always been that way -  and it's stupid IMO.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

It is beyond stupid.  If Granderson makes a great read, sprints full out, and has the ball pop out of his glove on a backhand catch, it's an error.

If he stands perfectly still, in a drunken stupor, and the ball lands a foot in front of him, it is likely called a hit.

I'm on the border on yesterday's.  I think it should've been caught, making it an error, but it wasn't a simple play.  He still would've had to catch it over his shoulder even had he turned to his left initially, which is not quite the same for a lefty as it is a righty on that angle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Wait...thought they changed that call.  If that's not an outfield error, then they don't exist.

Gotta love that NY view of the world, huh?  We don't make mistakes, they happen to us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I have been an official scorer, so I should know this....The reason why Granderson didn't get an error is that you CAN'T charge an error to a player for a physical mistake has nothing to do with the ball. In other words, if I trip going to a grounder or a fly ball, it's sort of like treated as a "sun ball." If I lose the ball in the sun, and it's clear I lost the ball in the "sun" or even in the "lights"..think the All-Star Game and Bryce Harper...it's not an error. The physical error is when you are actually in the course of fielding a ball. If you drop a ball or transfer a ball and it drops or you throw wildly, or you let a ball skip past you when you are in front of it--all errors. Physical trips, falls, or other weird developments BUT occuring before you get in a fielding position to the ball itself---not an error.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That's why we have zone ratings now.  You can bet he got a minus rating on that one. Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Official scoring rules are often judgment calls...so how one sees something can be interpreted a number of ways. There are instances where "sun ball" occurs but the fielder got his glove on the ball and was under it...but there lies the fielder is now in position to field...Granderson tripped, never getting to the point of getting under the baseball to catch it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In other words, if I trip going to a grounder or a fly ball, it's sort of like treated as a "sun ball."

But he tripped because he went in the wrong direction.  Had he judged the ball correctly to begin with, he wouldn't have tripped.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

joe, i agree, but in the world of official scoring, going the wrong way to a fly ball is not considered an error.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And people wonder why zone ratings came into existence.  Under the zone rating principle it's a ball the fielder should have caught. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Hfx, very true. Coaches and teams keep a log on mental errors too. Granderson turning the wrong way is a mental mistake as well. But still not a baseball scorer's version of "E"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Range is another subjective thing when it comes to scoring. There are times where a guy with no range simply will not get errors because...they have no range to get to sharply hit balls to their left or right. A guy with range gets to balls that often put themselves in a quick throw scenario...SSs get charged for 35 errors, but if they have tremendous range 15 of those errors might have never been scored because they never would have gotten to the ball without the range.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In Response to Official Scorer Question:
    [QUOTE]How can the Granderson play NOT be an error? His errorless streak continues, FWIW. As someone wittingly said in the Game thread yesterday, score it an error DSuck. I know what the usual criteria for an error is; I just feel the scorer should use his/her discretion in addition.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
     A misread fly ball is rarely an error, due to factors such as lights, wind, rain and wet conditions, ceilings (in a dome such as Tampa Bay) and other situations most of us will never comprehend because we haven't played the game at that level.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's an error the whole way.  He missed the read off the bat.  Toughest plays for an outfielder to make are liners hit directly at them.

There was no sun.  There were lights.  Same as any other ballpark for night games.  A misread is an error.  If a SS misjudges a pop fly and drops what should be a playable ball, it's an error. 

But right off the bat last night, most people saw that as the third out until the camera picked up Granderson's awkward gait...he totally misread the ball.  And when asked, he also said it was an error.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]It's an error the whole way.  He missed the read off the bat.  Toughest plays for an outfielder to make are liners hit directly at them. There was no sun.  There were lights.  Same as any other ballpark for night games.  A misread is an error.  If a SS misjudges a pop fly and drops what should be a playable ball, it's an error.  But right off the bat last night, most people saw that as the third out until the camera picked up Granderson's awkward gait...he totally misread the ball.  And when asked, he also said it was an error.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Granderson didn't "drop" the ball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

Soups was using a hypothetical.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

not an error, ball was hit over his head, turned the wrong way and he tripped....it's not an E in the baseball scoring rules.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]not an error, ball was hit over his head, turned the wrong way and he tripped....it's not an E in the baseball scoring rules.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I watched the game but missed the play and the replay.

One thing I have noticed since the Yankees returned from the west coast trip is that the outfield turf has come loose on a few plays that I've seen.

I know it rained like hell yesterday but ichiro stumbled on the turf Friday night making a play and dug up what appeared to be a big square piece of sod in the process..

While the Yankees were on the west coast swing they took up the turf for a soccer game in Yankee stadium and then replaced it. To me it looks like it is still loose in the outfield kind of reminds me of the loose turf in Candlestick park after the heavy rains of November that SF experiences.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Doesn't score an error unless the ball lands in his glove and it pop out. Ross does this a lot as well playing LF or RF at Fenway.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I looked at the play again, just now...He's still going the wrong way, but now I do believe he was more under the ball than I orginally thought from a different angle of the replay. Because of that, you can make a case for a physical error or E to be called on Granderson. And this is another aspect of official scoring--the part where you get a different perspective, someone calls you or you get a different look at the play, and it changes the account. Tough call though still, but you can make a case for an error.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]the scoring now favors the home teams. Use to be a hit was a hit, error and error. another change, in the best interest of the player, not the game
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

The one constant is the scorer favors offense over pitching, How does it favor the home team, when the teams pitcher ERA goes up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

it's true thought that you give the offensive player the benefit of the doubt, meaning you often want to give a hit if at all possible.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

If you look at Ross' fielding stats you'd think he was a gold glove candidate. In reality he actually sucks defensively.