Official Scoring

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Official Scoring

How would you have scored the play Middlebrooks made when he pulled Gonzalez off the bag?
    He made a fine play to get to the ball, but threw wildly to first. Even Remy made the comment that a good throw would have got him and he probably had time to set and throw.
    Now, it was ruled a hit, but I've seen plays where fielders make diving stops get up with time and throw it away, and are given an error.
    I thought he should have been given an error.

One thing I have noticed lately is that the scorers have been giving the benefit of doubt to the fielders. Two mis-played fly balls by Ross and Byrd recently were scored as hits, when clearly catches should have made.
    Even pop flys that drop untouched between fielders when one should have easily caught it, are ruled hits. The ball does not have to be touched for an error to be ruled.

These guys are pros and some make phenomenal plays in the field. Yet, on some routine plays that are botched, they are given a pass.

This is why FPCT is a joke. Players that don't have good defensive range could have a better FPCT than others who can get to more balls.

Boston is 3rd in the AL in defense which is absolutely laughable.
    The scorers need to be tougher instead of home-town scorers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Official Scoring

It was ruled a hit? I'd like to see the replay, but as I recall the throw would have beaten him. And it pulled Gonzalez off the bag. Thus, it has to be an E-5.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Middlebrooks' fielding percentage is already below .900.  He doesn't need another error because it's imperative he be kept in Boston. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In Response to Re: Official Scoring:
    It was ruled a hit? I'd like to see the replay, but as I recall the throw would have beaten him. And it pulled Gonzalez off the bag. Thus, it has to be an E-5.
    Posted by LloydDobler

It was scored a hit at the time, unless it was changed later in the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Middlebrooks' fielding percentage is already below .900.  He doesn't need another error because it's imperative he be kept in Boston. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

He has a problem with throws right now. Could be just jitters.
    Hopefully he won't develop Steve Sax Syndrome!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Official Scoring : It was scored a hit at the time, unless it was changed later in the game.
    Posted by harv53

Yep, I just checked the box and neither team was charged with an error. Sure looked like and E-5 to me.
    (By the way, your avatar cracks me up every time).

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You can't give an error to a misjudged fly ball that soars over a fielder's head or drops in front of them because the scoring rule book clearly states that it has to be a physical error in not catching a flyball. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It seems that sometimes , when you make a good play on the ball , a poor throw is forgiven , and it is scored a hit. I guess the thinking is that if you had not made the play , it would have been a hit anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Usually the only time an error is ruled on a play where an infielder made a diving stop then made an errant throw off balanced is if the runner advanced another base. Then it's ruled a hit and an error.

If in the scorer's judgement, the fielder had time to set and make a good throw then sometimes the scorer will rule an error on a play where the fielder made a great stop and bad throw (and runner doesn't advance past first). But normally in those instances, it will be ruled a hit because the thinking is if he didn't make a great play to begin with, it still would have been a hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

Think about it... It would've beat him because how good of an arm WMB has but say if we had Youk over there and he stopped it... Do you think he still would've thrown him out?  You don't give someone an error for not being able to make a hard play

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts