Offseason fixes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Offseason fixes

1.  Almost any manager (except Francona or Bobby V) will do.  Good managers lose and not so good managers win when the players have bad years or good years. Francona was a loser in Philly, a winner here.  Torre ditto before and after getting to NYC.

2.  Sox need one good arm for the rotation and one good bat for the lineup.

3.  An idea from Peter Abraham--the Sox need to invest in the best scouts and coaches to select players and then develop them.    Given the income generated by good teams and the absolute requirement for talented players, this investment makes sense.

4.  Hire a pitching czar who controls who pitches, how they prepare, how they correct mistakes, everything.  Given the Sox starters  horrible ERA in the first inning, for example, it is obvious they do not know how to prepare for a game.  I think a case can also be made they don't throw the best kinds of pitches, especially in combination. I am fairly sure most or all Sox starters try to get thru the first inning throwing only fastballs or cutters, but no curves or sliders or changeups.  Why?   Opposing pitchers--my observation without supporting data--seem to take advantage of well thrown changeups.  Sox pitchers generally like to avoid changeups.  When a Sox lefty starter is throwing at Fenway, the changeup, always provided it is well thrown and in the right spot, should be his favorite pitch.  

5.  If item 4 above is in any way valid, it could explain why the FO appears to be going after Farrell to be the next manager.  The broken pitching cannot, repeat cannot, be fixed by simply adding one good arm.  Buchholz and Lester were both healthy and both had rotten seasons this year.  So did a bunch of other pitchers because the Sox had the twelth highest ERA in the AL this year.   I am no Farrell fan, but do agree something fundamental has to change about the Sox pitching. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Offseason fixes

I really like 3 and 4.

I wouldn't be hard pressed to fulfill 2 until 2014. No need to overspend in a weak FA market (coughcoughlackeycough). Some of the prospects should be ready then, and they will have a better idea at what they need to go "out of house" for.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I have always been intrigued by the thought of the "Red Sox" way, but have only heard of this concept when it is related to hitting.

How come (and, maybe I have just not heard it) there is no Red Sox "way" when it comes to pitching?  Since I became a Sox fan in 1957 there certainly have been many good hitting Sox teams (and, even this year was not bad until Middlebrooks and Ortiz got hurt) that have not had good enough pitching to support their hitters.

An organizational concept on pitching, including pre game warmups (as mentioned by max) is a good place to start.  He is correct that first inning ERA was terrible almost all year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ATLEAST ONE OF EACH.

3.  An idea from Peter Abraham--the Sox need to invest in the best scouts and coaches to select players and then develop them.    Given the income generated by good teams and the absolute requirement for talented players, this investment makes sense.

I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR THE LAST THREE SEASONS.    THERE REALLY IS NO EXCUSE THAT THE RED SOX ARE OUTSCOUTED AND OUTVOACHED.

5.  If item 4 above is in any way valid, it could explain why the FO appears to be going after Farrell to be the next manager.  The broken pitching cannot, repeat cannot, be fixed by simply adding one good arm.  Buchholz and Lester were both healthy and both had rotten seasons this year.  So did a bunch of other pitchers because the Sox had the twelth highest ERA in the AL this year.   I am no Farrell fan, but do agree something fundamental has to change about the Sox pitching. 

YES, A 1,000 TIMES YES ...BUT HOW .......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ATLEAST ONE OF EACH.

I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR THE LAST THREE SEASONS.    THERE REALLY IS NO EXCUSE THAT THE RED SOX ARE OUTSCOUTED AND OUTVOACHED.

[/QUOTE]

Some food for thought on this topic.  In July out here in LA when the Dodgers were talking about the future the first thing they said was that they had to deal with first base.  Well they did....and dumped their lousy guy on us.  There is no way in he@l that the Red Sox can go anywhere next year with a bum like James baLoney being our first baseman.  There must be a change there lickity split.  The guy can't hit, has no power, can't run, can't hit lefthanders with a paddle and is as exciting as dirt.  Keep your eyes on this position, called the Gateway.  If we do nothing about this spot you will know that the team is not interested in upgrading next year and are willing to go with the pack of losers we did this season.  Loney must NOT be resigned---and for that matter neither must most of the pitchers.  I just wonder if  the inept Cherington is up to the job.  My take is that he isn't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ATLEAST ONE OF EACH.

[/QUOTE]

Some food for thought on this topic.  In July out here in LA when the Dodgers were talking about the future the first thing they said was that they had to deal with first base.  Well they did....and dumped their lousy guy on us.  There is no way in he@l that the Red Sox can go anywhere next year with a bum like James baLoney being our first baseman.  There must be a change there lickity split.  The guy can't hit, has no power, can't run, can't hit lefthanders with a paddle and is as exciting as dirt.  Keep your eyes on this position, called the Gateway.  If we do nothing about this spot you will know that the team is not interested in upgrading next year and are willing to go with the pack of losers we did this season.  Loney must NOT be resigned---and for that matter neither must most of the pitchers.  I just wonder if  the inept Cherington is up to the job.  My take is that he isn't.

[/QUOTE]

Not that I would expect you to get it, but James Loney was about as significant in that trade as Nick Punto was.  He was a body to help out at first as the Sox season was over.  James Loney will not be the starting first baseman in Boston next year, and if you don't think that this will likely go down as one of the best trades in Sox history, then you REALLY don't get it.

Sections
Shortcuts