Offseason Hunches

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Offseason Hunches

And you can't have him next year.

can't have whom

is that a bad thing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

Pedey is one of the best second baseman in the game, I don't think they move him for Cano. Sox probably are not going to spend a lot of money on outside free agents with long-term contracts.

pretty sure he's joking

Despite the lack of hustle, Cano may be the most gifted defensive 2nd baseman in history

Assuming you are not joking, I'd take Pedroia over Cano defensively any day.

Then u have partisan issues. Admittedly, Pedroia is great and hustles every minute. But he's not Cano. The only other ones in the conversation are Mazeroski, Morgan, R. Alomar, Trillo, White, Phillips, & Sandberg.

It's funny to see you call someone partisan after you say Cano is better defensively than pedey. Only people who draw that line are Yankee homers. Pedey has set the errorless streak at second base twice.Even if you had cano and pedey on the same team only one of them should be your second baseman and I'll give you a hint, it isn't cano. 

I apologize for stating someone had partisan issues; I just should have said I disagreed. But for the most part, IMO I'm really not a NYY homer, and I don't even like the way Cano plays, despite his talent.   

You can state that your opinion is that today is Sunday, but that doesn't make it so. Your "opinion" is not backed up by any reasonable facts. As I pointed out earlier Pedroia has a better dWAR, by far, than Cano. Also, Pedroia has a better UZR by 12.3 vs 1.1; his FP% is better, slightly (.993 to .991) and his range factor is also better (4.64 to 4.21). Its not Sunday. Its Thursday. You can certainly argue that Cano is a better offensive player than Pedroia and I won't even debate that because I think you would be right. But defensively its not even close. Your opinion is incorrect-unless you can back it up objectively.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

It's funny to see you call someone partisan after you say Cano is better defensively than pedey. Only people who draw that line are Yankee homers. Pedey has set the errorless streak at second base twice.Even if you had cano and pedey on the same team only one of them should be your second baseman and I'll give you a hint, it isn't cano. 

that's not being partisan

that's being ridiculously partisan

both plus defenders

nobody can throw like cano

to those of us who aren't buy them defensive super stats yet

pedey just looks better because he's a bit of a hotdog

I mean does he ever not dive / one knee a ball

he has than unfair advantage

of being short / closer to the ground

with them ex long arms he never has to bend down for a ball ;-)

And you can't have him next year. 

Thats the beauty of it Sean: they CAN have him. And he will break the bank and in doing so do nothing to improve the team. Signing Cano is simply maintaining status quo minus a few hundred million dollars.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Pedey is one of the best second baseman in the game, I don't think they move him for Cano. Sox probably are not going to spend a lot of money on outside free agents with long-term contracts.

pretty sure he's joking

Despite the lack of hustle, Cano may be the most gifted defensive 2nd baseman in history

Then u have partisan issues. Admittedly, Pedroia is great and hustles every minute. But he's not Cano. The only other ones in the conversation are Mazeroski, Morgan, R. Alomar, Trillo, White, Phillips, & Sandberg.

I apologize for stating someone had partisan issues; I just should have said I disagreed. But for the most part, IMO I'm really not a NYY homer, and I don't even like the way Cano plays, despite his talent.   

You can state that your opinion is that today is Sunday, but that doesn't make it so. Your "opinion" is not backed up by any reasonable facts. As I pointed out earlier Pedroia has a better dWAR, by far, than Cano. Also, Pedroia has a better UZR by 12.3 vs 1.1; his FP% is better, slightly (.993 to .991) and his range factor is also better (4.64 to 4.21). Its not Sunday. Its Thursday. You can certainly argue that Cano is a better offensive player than Pedroia and I won't even debate that because I think you would be right. But defensively its not even close. Your opinion is incorrect-unless you can back it up objectively.

I was talking about his PHYSICAL skills, new fangled imperfect defensive metrics not withstanding. As far as Sunday vs Thursday goes, perhaps I've given you too much credit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I was talking about his PHYSICAL skills, not some relatively new fangled imperfect defensive metrics. As far as Sunday vs Thursday, perhaps I've given you too much credit.

But, if he chooses not to utilize those skills to the best of his abilities, is he really "better"?

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

pretty sure he's joking

I was talking about his PHYSICAL skills, not some relatively new fangled imperfect defensive metrics. As far as Sunday vs Thursday, perhaps I've given you too much credit.

What metrics would you like to use to MEASURE his physical skills? Take your pick. Make your arguement based on something objective other than "he sure looks good out there". I admit Cano LOOKS smoother than Pedroia, but by all defensive metrics I can find, Pedroia is MUCH better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Which one "looks" better?!?

the one with: ROY, WS Ring, 2 GG, and an MVP.

or the one with:  WS Ring, 2 GG.

Which one would you take?!?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

also......

which one "looks" better!?!

the one that gives a significant "hometown" discount to stay with his ballclub to the end of his career....

or

the one that hires a rap star to be his agent and says his services will go to the highest bidder?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

also......

the one that gives a significant "hometown" discount to stay with his ballclub to the end of his career....

or

the one that hires a rap star to be his agent and says his services will go to the highest bidder?

I don't care if the player is represented by Miley Cyrus. I care about the bottom line. Pedroia is a superior defensive player, and Cano is better offensively. Pedey is, IMO, a better influence on the team. Its not easy to pick who is better overall.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

also......

or

I don't care if the player is represented by Miley Cyrus. I care about the bottom line. Pedroia is a superior defensive player, and Cano is better offensively. Pedey is, IMO, a better influence on the team. Its not easy to pick who is better overall.

[/QUOTE]

well put mr green

'no cred slash' finally came up with something original

the 1st guy ever to knock someone for firing boras

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

also......

or

well put mr green

You have to admit though, if you are a baseball player about to go into Free Agency and are evidently looking for the largest contract ever, it is pretty stupid to leave the best agent in the world for an unproven agent, in spite of what you think the new guy can do for you in Non Baseball matters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

You have to admit though, if you are a baseball player about to go into Free Agency and are evidently looking for the largest contract ever, it is pretty stupid to leave the best agent in the world for an unproven agent, in spite of what you think the new guy can do for you in Non Baseball matters.

I'll go with risky tom

and hold onto my right to call it stupid after the fact ;-)

but that's not where 'no cred slash' was coming from

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I'll go with risky tom

and hold onto my right to call it stupid after the fact ;-)

but that's not where 'no cred slash' was coming from

it's ok you dont get my point.  it's over your head.  1 player thinks "team".  1 player thinks "me".  you can also choose to ignore my post above it about the MVP & ROY as well.  it's good.  that one usually shut's the annoying yankee franks up......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd take the guy who is currently 9th on his own team in OPS (among players with 230+ PAs).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Snore ... how predictable

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Cano will get one of the larger contracts than many players.  And the Yankees will do their best to keep him in their lineup.  Did anyone witness the Yankees outmatched by big margin?  Even if the top offer may not be the Yankees, they will not be far behind, maybe a yr or two short or couple of millions less.  Pedey took maybe $50-60M less to stay with his home team even before his contract expired.  On the other hand, if another team outbids the Yankees by $50-60M, Cano sounds like that team can be his new home team.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

You would take either one.  If in a thought experiment, you happen to have both:

Both are plus defensively.  Cano is the better hitter and has a better arm.  One has to move.  Seems to me Cano's physical talents would make it more likely to handle a position change (either 3B or more likely the OF) and excel at it.

Just my opnion.

It would be a nice problem to have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

[QUOTE]

also......

or

well put mr green

[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling Cano isnt going to have a problem finding a great contract, that being said I'm sure its going to be as large as he might want. Most of the big deals signed in the last few years have worked out pretty terrible for the club doing the signing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

RS sign Cano, and move Pedroia to his natural position at SS. As a secondary item, would add insult to injury.

Other possibilities:

Girardi quits to manage Cubs.

Cashman is finally shown the door.

NYY blow up team.

Granderson signs with NYM.

If not the RS, Cano signs with one of the LA teams

Drew signs with NYY.

RS attempt to coax Rivera out of retirement to be a setup man.

Jeter retires.

Why not sign Can to play 3B, Salty to catch, Napoli at 1B, and then trade Middy, JBJ, Webster and Lavarnway for Stanton.

1) Pedroia 2B

2) Victorino CF

3) Cano  3B

4) Ortiz  DH

5) Stanton  RF

6) Napoli  1B

7) Nava/Gomes  LF

8) Salty C/ Bogey SS

9) Bogey SS/ Ross C

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

it's ok you dont get my point.  it's over your head.  1 player thinks "team".  1 player thinks "me".

so your point was if he kept boras

he would be more of a team guy

more likely not to risk FA and take a home town discount

congrats for being the 1st guy to suggest

a player is more greedy because he dump boras

you can also choose to ignore my post above it about the MVP & ROY as well.  it's good.  that one usually shut's the annoying yankee franks up......

not sure what that has to do with the convertsation

cano was 2nd in ROY and has had a better yr than his mvp yr

while doing better in mvp voting more yrs

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

pretty sure he's joking

What metrics would you like to use to MEASURE his physical skills? Take your pick. Make your arguement based on something objective other than "he sure looks good out there". I admit Cano LOOKS smoother than Pedroia, but by all defensive metrics I can find, Pedroia is MUCH better.

I don't like any of 'em in their current state. Regardless, from a METRICS standpoint, yes Pedey is better.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

sorry...the point had nothing to do with bora$ or cano dumping him.  that part was simply pointing out that Cano hired a rap star to be his agent.  some people may not have known this.  whether cano has you, me, or oprah winfrey as his agent doesnt really matter.  he is now seen as wanting the most $$$ possible irregardless of whether that comes from the yankees or the nippon hamfighters.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

RS sign Cano, and move Pedroia to his natural position at SS. As a secondary item, would add insult to injury.

Other possibilities:

Girardi quits to manage Cubs.

Cashman is finally shown the door.

NYY blow up team.

Granderson signs with NYM.

If not the RS, Cano signs with one of the LA teams

Drew signs with NYY.

RS attempt to coax Rivera out of retirement to be a setup man.

Jeter retires.

Why not sign Can to play 3B, Salty to catch, Napoli at 1B, and then trade Middy, JBJ, Webster and Lavarnway for Stanton.

1) Pedroia 2B

2) Victorino CF

3) Cano  3B

4) Ortiz  DH

5) Stanton  RF

6) Napoli  1B

7) Nava/Gomes  LF

8) Salty C/ Bogey SS

9) Bogey SS/ Ross C

[/QUOTE]

I'll pass on Cano. I don't view him as a 200 Million Dollar + Player. I'd give him a 7 year 150 Million dollar contract at the most. However I'd rather wait a year or 2 and see if Cabrera becomes a Free Agent and take my chances on signing him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

not sure what that has to do with the convertsation

cano was 2nd in ROY and has had a better yr than his mvp yr

while doing better in mvp voting more yrs

but did he win the ROY?

has he won an MVP?

him and jay z can go buy one.  i'm sure 1 pops up now and again on sotheby's from some down and out ex mlb'er or his greedy offspring cashing in.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

sorry...the point had nothing to do with bora$ or cano dumping him.  that part was simply pointing out that Cano hired a rap star to be his agent.  some people may not have known this.  whether cano has you, me, or oprah winfrey as his agent doesnt really matter.  he is now seen as wanting the most $$$ possible irregardless of whether that comes from the yankees or the nippon hamfighters.

I think you are being pretty hard Cano and as I said I think he made a mistake in switching Agents, but there is no facts to support that Cano is not a team player and also no sure facts that he wouldnt take somewhat less to stay with the Yankees.....actually being with JayZ probably enhances his chances of taking less to stay in NY......if he leaves  it up to his Agent, I could see him leaving some money on the table to stay in the NY market, because the reason players want to be with Jayz is because of what he can do to market them outside of baseball and that his enhanced by being in the NY or LA market.