Offseason Moves . . . Conventional and Unconventional

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

Offseason Moves . . . Conventional and Unconventional

The Sox need to make smart offseason moves this year.  With so much salary relief from the trade to the Dodgers, we don't have to nickle and dime this year like we did last year.  Also, we shouldn't go and throw our money around frivilously (see: Crawford, Lackey).  Here are my conventional moves:

Re-sign Ortiz.  Give him 2-years and make him happy.  He's still Papi when healthy.
    Resign Ross.  Offer a 3-yr, mid-range money deal.  He wants to be here, plays like a dirtdog and hits well at Fenway
    Sign Swisher.  Great attitude and production.  Switch hitter w/ power, dirtdog type. Could fill spot at 1B or OF.
    Sign Dan Haren.  Solid, productive pitcher.  Angels will buy out to renegotiate, but Sox could offer a better deal.
    Move Morales into the Rotation.  Pitched well in spot starts.  Done everything the team asked with a good attitude and decent stuff.
    Sign Napoli.  Could play 1B.  Sox killer.  Power RH bat.  Hardnosed player

Unconventional Moves.
    Inquire into V-Mart's status in Detroit.  Did well here.  Made expendible by production of Young, Cabrera, Fielder and Avila.  No spot for him there.  Put at 1B.  Switch hitter w/ power
    Move Aceves. He is becoming too much of a discipline issue for his talent-level. Could be used as part of a package for starting pitching.
    Sign Kuroda.  Killed us this year.  Won't command huge deal.  Short years and money.  Takes away from Yankees too.
    Move Sweeney. Decent depth, not bad bat against righties. However, boneheaded for breaking his hand. Combo him and Aceves, plus prospects for a 3-5 starter type. May stay if Sox move Ellsbury.

What are your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Re: Offseason Moves . . . Conventional and Unconventional

I like all your idea's. Except I don't think there is room on the Roster for Swisher and Napoli unless you stick Swisher in the outfield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Swisher's attitude is a pro and a con.  OK in NY, not so in Chicago

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

If you sign Swisher, first place to look is in the outfield, because he's an outfielder by trade.  Then you could put Napoli at 1st.  As for his attitude, he's been a model citizen in NY for four years.  Shows maturity.  Hopefully he could bring that to the Sox.  Him and Ross, w/ Pedey, you'd actually have that dirtdog attitude that we had during the Nixon, Varitek, Millar era.

Also need some solid bullpen arms and a few more solid starters.  There is an expectation that Buch and Bailey get healthy and Lester returns more to form.  That would help our pitching staff a lot.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ArmyPatsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox need to make smart offseason moves this year.  With so much salary relief from the trade to the Dodgers, we don't have to nickle and dime this year like we did last year.  Also, we shouldn't go and throw our money around frivilously (see: Crawford, Lackey).  Here are my conventional moves:

Re-sign Ortiz.  Give him 2-years and make him happy.  He's still Papi when healthy.
    Resign Ross.  Offer a 3-yr, mid-range money deal.  He wants to be here, plays like a dirtdog and hits well at Fenway
    Sign Swisher.  Great attitude and production.  Switch hitter w/ power, dirtdog type. Could fill spot at 1B or OF.
    Sign Dan Haren.  Solid, productive pitcher.  Angels will buy out to renegotiate, but Sox could offer a better deal.
    Move Morales into the Rotation.  Pitched well in spot starts.  Done everything the team asked with a good attitude and decent stuff.
    Sign Napoli.  Could play 1B.  Sox killer.  Power RH bat.  Hardnosed player

Unconventional Moves.
    Inquire into V-Mart's status in Detroit.  Did well here.  Made expendible by production of Young, Cabrera, Fielder and Avila.  No spot for him there.  Put at 1B.  Switch hitter w/ power
    Move Aceves. He is becoming too much of a discipline issue for his talent-level. Could be used as part of a package for starting pitching.
    Sign Kuroda.  Killed us this year.  Won't command huge deal.  Short years and money.  Takes away from Yankees too.
    Move Sweeney. Decent depth, not bad bat against righties. However, boneheaded for breaking his hand. Combo him and Aceves, plus prospects for a 3-5 starter type. May stay if Sox move Ellsbury.

What are your thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

I agree on David but would never offer Ross three years.  Haren is a possibility along with Napoli only if we traded Salty, neither is a full time player but Nap may put up better overall numbers.  VMart I would take back at 1B/DH/C anytime to replace some of AGons offense, or maybe even Youk.  McCann and Molina are also better catchers than what we presently have and worth kicking the tires on.  I would also take a shot at Anibal and McCarthy,  Sanchez isn't a lock to stay in Detroit like some think.  If he pitches well through the WS, it will only increase his price tag and desirability.

Ellsbury will need to be in a package to bring back a solid starter.  The risks of injury and free agency are simply too high for any real return by himself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

An unconventional move would be to deal John Lackey (3 yrs / $31.5mill) for Dan Uggla (3 yrs / $39mill), and to then shift Uggla to 1B or LF.

Even more unconventional would be moving on Francisco Liriano as a SP.  (He should be a target.  Excellent bounceback candidate!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Swish, V-Mark and Napoli? 3 possible 1b, 2 possible c. yup, thats unconventional.

I like the V-Mart Idea. Put him at 1b. 2/25 left on deal.

Not sure on Napoli. Depends on the offers. If VMart can be had, I go that route.  Better AVG and good power switch hitter.

Also, we dont need any bullpen arms. Actually, we have too many LHP in the pen and should be trading 1 or 2 of Morales, Breslow, Miller and Hill...Lots of internal options, although im sure they will bring in a bunch of options from the outside on invites and such for depth...