Oh hey, here's some prospect news.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Oh hey, here's some prospect news.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/03/13/red-sox-minor-league-notes-intriguing-double-a-rotation-garin-cecchinis-growth/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Oh hey, here's some prospect news.

Hoping for Ranaudo to rebound, he never really had a chance to get going last year.   I think he can still be a starter. I'm very intrigued with Gecchini coming into camp buffed up.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Hoping for Ranaudo to rebound, he never really had a chance to get going last year.   I think he can still be a starter. I'm very intrigued with Gecchini coming into camp buffed up.  

Thanks for posting.I like Cecchini and hopefully the extra 15-20 pounds he gained will give him some more power.He had a decent .305 average,but only 4 Hr's.He's only 21 and is still filling out though.I believe coming into spring training more bulked up will have his power numbers rising.

He's someone to keep an eye on.

There's a young (19 years old) power pitcher that's worth watching named Ty Buttrey too.I'm interested in seeing what he does this season.He played for the GCL Red Sox last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Thanks for posting.I like Cecchini and hopefully the extra 15-20 pounds he gained will give him some more power.He had a decent .305 average,but only 4 Hr's.He's only 21 and is still filling out though.I believe coming into spring training more bulked up will have his power numbers rising.

There's a young (19 years old) power pitcher that's worth watching named Ty Buttrey too.I'm interested in seeing what he does this season.He played for the GCL Red Sox last year.

Hopefully Cecchini can add some HR Power to his game. That would up his value quite a bit. Hes also a high OPB guy as well as good AVG. Add a 500 SLG and you have a 900-1000 OPS 3b. not too shabby.

Heres the latest write up on Margot and Buttrey

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/03/2013-prospect-previews-manuel-margot.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Hopefully Cecchini can add some HR Power to his game. That would up his value quite a bit. Hes also a high OPB guy as well as good AVG. Add a 500 SLG and you have a 900-1000 OPS 3b. not too shabby.

Heres the latest write up on Margot and Buttrey

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/03/2013-prospect-previews-manuel-margot.html

Those are great reads!!! They come out with one every M/W/F (for now at least).  This was one of the better ones.  Both Buttrey and Margot are two guys I'll be looking at.  Margot has a ceiling, he's a little too young and raw to get hyped up about but from everything I've read about him he has the potential to be a top 10 top 5 prospect.  Buttrey is a young arm I'll be watching, and he's a local product which intrigues me a bit more.  Another guy I'm high on is Cody Kukuk who will get his first full season at the professional level this year.  Hopefully with the minor league camps under way when might start to hear some good stuff about how these guys look this spring in the coming days/weeks. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I certainly don't get too hyped up about guys just starting A ball, but the scouting reports are encouraging. Its fun to watch their progression while they are developing though. Both are still raw and need to work on a lot if they're going to be considered a top prospect. They have the tools to do it. Time will certainly tell, but these 2 are definitely a couple kids Ill be keeping my eye on over the next couple years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

One guy I'll be watching with interest is Williams Jerez.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/02/2012-prospect-previews-williams-jerez.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

One guy I'll be watching with interest is Williams Jerez.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/02/2012-prospect-previews-williams-jerez.html

Yup...Hes another young kid to watch the next few years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Jerez is another guy!.  There is a lot of guys who flew under the Radar last year.  Some real young Draftees who came out of high school in 2011 may be poised to make some noise down on the farm this year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Jerez is another guy!.  There is a lot of guys who flew under the Radar last year.  Some real young Draftees who came out of high school in 2011 may be poised to make some noise down on the farm this year. 

His last year in high school (nyc psal) his OPS was 2.143

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'm hopeful for Ranaudo to bounce back...as I recall, he was considered one of the best pitchers in the 2010 draft. To be able to add him in the mix of top pitching prospects with Rubby, Webster, and Barnes would give us a great outlook for 2014 and beyond.

Excited about Cecchini possibly adding power as well. There are a lot of guys in the lower levels who may open some eyes this year, I think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Nice to read about 5-6 posts and everyone was naming a different young prospect that they were interested in seeing play this year. Guys like Butrey, Kukuk, Jerez, Raunado, Cecchini, and Margot. And none of these are the top guys everyone else has been talking about Barnes/ Webster/De La Rosa/JBJ very good sign for the depth of the RS farm system. The guy I want to see that no one mentioned is Henry Owens, would love to see the big lefty make that next step and would be on the fast track to RS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

Nice to read about 5-6 posts and everyone was naming a different young prospect that they were interested in seeing play this year. Guys like Butrey, Kukuk, Jerez, Raunado, Cecchini, and Margot. And none of these are the top guys everyone else has been talking about Barnes/ Webster/De La Rosa/JBJ very good sign for the depth of the RS farm system. The guy I want to see that no one mentioned is Henry Owens, would love to see the big lefty make that next step and would be on the fast track to RS.

I think he'll be in Greenville this year won't he? That's only one step away from Portland where I would get to see him pitch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I menat Salem, not Greenville.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think he'll be in Greenville this year won't he? That's only one step away from Portland where I would get to see him pitch.

I think Greenville is low A and Salem is high A.  I expect one level for each season as the bar put there are probably a hundred other variables that go into a players development.  However I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes through two systems one year.  That my be a call up to Salem this year, or a call up to Portland from Salem next year. Or anything along those lines, it's all speculation at this point.  Of course he could stall and repeat one season, but seeing how I'm a sox prospect Homer I'll call that notion Blasphemy unil it happens. 

I just recently moved to New Britain ct and am 5 minutes away from the New Britain rock cats.  I plan on being at every game Portland comes to down.  4 game series in early april and you better believe I'll bet there to watch Ranaudo, Barnes, Workman, and Bogaerts among others.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think Greenville is low A and Salem is high A.  I expect one level for each season as the bar put there are probably a hundred other variables that go into a players development.  However I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes through two systems one year.  That my be a call up to Salem this year, or a call up to Portland from Salem next year. Or anything along those lines, it's all speculation at this point.  Of course he could stall and repeat one season, but seeing how I'm a sox prospect Homer I'll call that notion Blasphemy unil it happens. 

I just recently moved to New Britain ct and am 5 minutes away from the New Britain rock cats.  I plan on being at every game Portland comes to down.  4 game series in early april and you better believe I'll bet there to watch Ranaudo, Barnes, Workman, and Bogaerts among others.

I meant Salem, not Greenville. He was in Greenville last year. :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yeah I saw that right after I posted.  I tend to mix those two up every so often myself.  I remember when I started following the farm system very closely a couple years ago and was mind boggled that ther is three levels of A Ball.  Although I think short season is on level with low a.  I think it's for depth and also a place to plug a lot of late starters and draftees....and then of course we have the gulf coast league and the Dominican summer league.  With all the money being dumped into international signees and scouting I often wonder if the next blue chipper in the form of Bogaerts is a 16-17 year old playing in the summer league this year.

Wild speculation I know.  But with subpar seasons in Boston the last two years I've become a bit obsessed with our minor league system. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I meant Salem, not Greenville. He was in Greenville last year. :-)

Hes slated to start the year in Salem. I think he will have a full year in Salem.

Still needs to build up his stamina, refine his secondary pitches, and basically learn how to really be a pitcher and not a thrower, which is what soxprospects says...

Unless one of they guys from Portland gets promoted, he'll stay there. Hes got a lot of promise as well as the others mentioned.

The Sox have a lot of good looking prospects. Hopefully a few of them pan out well

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Yeah I saw that right after I posted.  I tend to mix those two up every so often myself.  I remember when I started following the farm system very closely a couple years ago and was mind boggled that ther is three levels of A Ball.  Although I think short season is on level with low a.  I think it's for depth and also a place to plug a lot of late starters and draftees....and then of course we have the gulf coast league and the Dominican summer league.  With all the money being dumped into international signees and scouting I often wonder if the next blue chipper in the form of Bogaerts is a 16-17 year old playing in the summer league this year.

Wild speculation I know.  But with subpar seasons in Boston the last two years I've become a bit obsessed with our minor league system. 

I've enjoyed following the farms since the days when Bob Stanley, Rick Miller and Wade Boggs were coming up. It's also a lot of fun catching the minor league teams live. Compared to the big league team, the tickets are cheaper and the seats are better. The quality of baseball isn't as good but it's usually an enjoyable day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

nothing wrong with that. it is the strength of our organization. And it could get a lot better in the upcoming years with all the premium talent at the low levels and the good draft picks we have this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Normally there is 3-4 players who play in the DSL who are interesting prospects to follow. Last year there was 8 players who played in the DSL who look very interesting and I would put in the Sox top 70 prospects. You probably know about Manuel Margot, the solid 6 tool CFer. Here are the other 7 guys to keep an eye out on in order of my prefference.

1-Manuel Margot CF 18.5---Top 20 prospect.

2-Alixon Suarez C 18.7---Was an all star catcher in the DSL last year. Very good defense. Good size. an .824 OPs. Strong winter league performance aswell. I think he is a top 35 prospect.

3-Raimel Flores SS 18.5---Signed for more[900,000] then Manny Margot. Played very well[.783 OPS] before he got injured. Otherwise I think there would be better buzz. Also think he should be a top 40 prospect.

4-Dioscar Romero P 17.10---Signed for 600,000. Had a good year last year. Came on at the end of the year.

5-Victor Ramirez P  17.9---Put up a 1.32 ERA and a .923 WHIP as a 16 year old. Only signed for about 100 grand, but thats still solid money. At least 6-1.

6-Simon Mercedes P 21.0---Signed for 800,000. Big horse who throws fairly hard. Old for a DSLer. Has not proven he can pitch yet. So I am a little lower on him then some of the scouts.

7-Enfember Martinez P 17.6---The youngest player arguably pitched the best. A 1.69 ERA and a .969 WHIP. Both he and Ramirez did not strike guys out though.  Very small at 5-11 140. However, since he is so young, there is a lot of upside. Also signed for about 100 grand.

8-Keivin Heras P 18.5---The least interesting of the 8, but still solid.

The deepest DSL crop by far the system has ever produced IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Another youngster that really opened some eyes this Spring Training is Christian Vazquez.He's  a pretty good defensive catcher and has got a rocket arm.He's looked impressive throwing runners out during the times I've seen him play on NESN.

All in all,I think the Sox have a pretty good farm system going right now.It's nice to know there's some talent comng up through the ranks. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

nothing wrong with that. it is the strength of our organization. And it could get a lot better in the upcoming years with all the premium talent at the low levels and the good draft picks we have this year.

It's a little early to start speculating about the draft, but it's hard not to get excited about the Sox having the #7 pick. There are some good looking pitchers in this year's draft and Kris Bryant looked like a beast last year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Normally there is 3-4 players who play in the DSL who are interesting prospects to follow. Last year there was 8 players who played in the DSL who look very interesting and I would put in the Sox top 70 prospects. You probably know about Manuel Margot, the solid 6 tool CFer. Here are the other 7 guys to keep an eye out on in order of my prefference.

1-Manuel Margot CF 18.5---Top 20 prospect.

2-Alixon Suarez C 18.7---Was an all star catcher in the DSL last year. Very good defense. Good size. an .824 OPs. Strong winter league performance aswell. I think he is a top 35 prospect.

3-Raimel Flores SS 18.5---Signed for more[900,000] then Manny Margot. Played very well[.783 OPS] before he got injured. Otherwise I think there would be better buzz. Also think he should be a top 40 prospect.

4-Dioscar Romero P 17.10---Signed for 600,000. Had a good year last year. Came on at the end of the year.

5-Victor Ramirez P  17.9---Put up a 1.32 ERA and a .923 WHIP as a 16 year old. Only signed for about 100 grand, but thats still solid money. At least 6-1.

6-Simon Mercedes P 21.0---Signed for 800,000. Big horse who throws fairly hard. Old for a DSLer. Has not proven he can pitch yet. So I am a little lower on him then some of the scouts.

7-Enfember Martinez P 17.6---The youngest player arguably pitched the best. A 1.69 ERA and a .969 WHIP. Both he and Ramirez did not strike guys out though.  Very small at 5-11 140. However, since he is so young, there is a lot of upside. Also signed for about 100 grand.

8-Keivin Heras P 18.5---The least interesting of the 8, but still solid.

The deepest DSL crop by far the system has ever produced IMO.

There are some really intriguing names on that list.  It's tough to get some perspective on some of those names though just because there isn't a lot of info on them.  For example Dioscar Romero is a name I'm kinda intrigued with. He's very young, had good stats in limited time but I can't find any scouting information on him.  Sox gave him some $$$ though so a scout saw something in him.  

I have this fantasy that the next king Felix is thenow right now.  I'd love to have a prospect of Xander bogaerts status who is a pitcher.  Maybe we could draft one! Recent 7th picks have been Matt Harvey, and Kleyton Kershaw

Sections
Shortcuts