Oh hey, here's some prospect news.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Oh hey, here's some prospect news.

I agree,this is the kind of thread I wish we had more of on this site.It's a nice change from from the bickering and nonsense most other threads end up in.

Alex Wilson looks pretty good this spring.He allowed a run in his 1 2/3 innings of work this afternoon,but his ERA is still sitting at 1.17.He's older(26)but he's somebody who could see time in Boston later this year if he keeps on pitching like he has been so far.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

Yeah I saw that right after I posted.  I tend to mix those two up every so often myself.  I remember when I started following the farm system very closely a couple years ago and was mind boggled that ther is three levels of A Ball.  Although I think short season is on level with low a.  I think it's for depth and also a place to plug a lot of late starters and draftees....and then of course we have the gulf coast league and the Dominican summer league.  With all the money being dumped into international signees and scouting I often wonder if the next blue chipper in the form of Bogaerts is a 16-17 year old playing in the summer league this year.

Wild speculation I know.  But with subpar seasons in Boston the last two years I've become a bit obsessed with our minor league system. 

nothing wrong with that. it is the strength of our organization. And it could get a lot better in the upcoming years with all the premium talent at the low levels and the good draft picks we have this year.

It's a little early to start speculating about the draft, but it's hard not to get excited about the Sox having the #7 pick. There are some good looking pitchers in this year's draft and Kris Bryant looked like a beast last year.

Frazier, Meadows, Appeal, Stanek are some names I've heard thrown around.  Think there are a few college bats at the top of the boards as well.  I wouldn't mind drafting a big bat who may be able to lock down the middle of the order with Xandy in a few years.

Bryant

Your pick Bryant had 3HR today...wow

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm really liking what I am seeing from some of the lesser known or hyped prospects.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Yeah I saw that right after I posted.  I tend to mix those two up every so often myself.  I remember when I started following the farm system very closely a couple years ago and was mind boggled that ther is three levels of A Ball.  Although I think short season is on level with low a.  I think it's for depth and also a place to plug a lot of late starters and draftees....and then of course we have the gulf coast league and the Dominican summer league.  With all the money being dumped into international signees and scouting I often wonder if the next blue chipper in the form of Bogaerts is a 16-17 year old playing in the summer league this year.

Wild speculation I know.  But with subpar seasons in Boston the last two years I've become a bit obsessed with our minor league system. 

nothing wrong with that. it is the strength of our organization. And it could get a lot better in the upcoming years with all the premium talent at the low levels and the good draft picks we have this year.

It's a little early to start speculating about the draft, but it's hard not to get excited about the Sox having the #7 pick. There are some good looking pitchers in this year's draft and Kris Bryant looked like a beast last year.

Frazier, Meadows, Appeal, Stanek are some names I've heard thrown around.  Think there are a few college bats at the top of the boards as well.  I wouldn't mind drafting a big bat who may be able to lock down the middle of the order with Xandy in a few years.

Bryant

Do you know who was pitching? And he's not really my pick. I think southpaw was the first preson I heard mention him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Deven marrero just got a sinle in he ST game.  I don't think his bat is as good as Bogaerts and his glove isn't as slick as Iggys.  I think he may be something inbetween. I've heard (and you can see it) he is VERY athletic.

I didn't quite get that pick.  It seemed too high for someone that didn't look like a hitter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm really liking what I am seeing from some of the lesser known or hyped prospects.

Safety in numbers.  I always thought that Theo's genius wasn't drafting, per se, but accumulating a lot of high picks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Safety in numbers.  I always thought that Theo's genius wasn't drafting, per se, but accumulating a lot of high picks.

Most were gained due to letting big named players walk. The Billy Wagner situation was pure genius.

There were some tough choices like letting Pedro, Damon, and Lowe walk, but I agreed with all of those choices at the time. Hindsight proves they all were good choices.

I agree, the actual draft choices, especially after 2005 have not been that great when you consider how many good players fell in the draft charts due to high cost signability issues many other teams had, but not us.

Sometimes Theo's later picks outshined his first ones, but that is not uncommon in baseball:

2006:

(27) Jason Place, (28) Bard, (39) Kris Johnson, (43) Caleb Clay

2nd Rd: Masterson

3rd: A Bates

5th: D Richardson

9th: R Kalish

17th: Reddick

18th: Lars A.

2007:

(55) Hagadone, (62) Ryan Dent, (84) Hunter Morris

5th Middlebrooks

6th A Rizzo

23rd D Britton

2008:

(45) Bryan Price, (77) Derrik Gibson, (85) S. Fife, (108) K Weiland

5th Westmoreland

6th Lavarnway

7th Federowicz

9th C Vazquez

32nd T Shaw

2009:

(28) R Fuentes, (77) Alex Wilson, (107) David Renfroe

4th Hazelbaker

10th B Jacobs

20th A Hassan

2010:

(20) K Vitek, (36) Brentz, (39) Ranaudo, (57) Workman, (110) S Coyle

4th Cecchini

7th C Hernandez

2011:

(19) Barnes from VMart, (26) Swihart from Beltre, (36) Owens from VMart, (40) JBJ from Beltre, (81) W Jerez, (111) J Weems

7th C Kukuk

9th T Shaw

(Side note: to those who wanted us to re-sign VMart and Beltre: see 2011 above)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Bryant

Do you know who was pitching? And he's not really my pick. I think southpaw was the first preson I heard mention him.

southpaw and resin

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about Iggy's .474 Slg% this spring?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Marrero looks like a mlb caliber glove at some point. Excellent range and defensive ability. If he can hit .270 he will probably end up a decent SS.

I'm still looking at Swihart as most likely to emerge this year. He definitely has the tools.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Marrero looks like a mlb caliber glove at some point. Excellent range and defensive ability. If he can hit .270 he will probably end up a decent SS.

I'm still looking at Swihart as most likely to emerge this year. He definitely has the tools.

The way we have kept Iggy on the farm "until he proves he can hit", it makes me wonder what might happen to Marrero.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

The way we have kept Iggy on the farm "until he proves he can hit", it makes me wonder what might happen to Marrero.

probably the same thing. when he proves he is capable of handling AA pitching he will be promoted to AAA, when he proves he can hit AAA pitching he will get a shot at the bigs... just like EVERY other prospect. they have to earn the job, not get it handed to them. Iggy is no exception.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

There is really no rush on these guys.  We have way too many fans that seem to object if a player isn't up by age 22.  You only have a player for 6 years.  You can extend, but he only has excess value while under control, and some of these guys aren't even worth the arb in Y6.

Getting a guy that can hit a little, from 24-29, is better than having a guy that is marginal his first yeat, and having him from 23-28.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

probably the same thing. when he proves he is capable of handling AA pitching he will be promoted to AAA, when he proves he can hit AAA pitching he will get a shot at the bigs... just like EVERY other prospect. they have to earn the job, not get it handed to them. Iggy is no exception.

The problem is taht if Sox management does not value great fielding SSs as much as hitting ones, why keep drafting or signing those types?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The problem is taht if Sox management does not value great fielding SSs as much as hitting ones, why keep drafting or signing those types?

Again, I'm not sure if there is any truth to that.  Renteria had 3 GGs, Gonzo was outstanding, they traded for OCab, and it's tough to call Lugo and Scutaro offensive players.  They probably went for the best player available.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Again, I'm not sure if there is any truth to that.  Renteria had 3 GGs, Gonzo was outstanding, they traded for OCab, and it's tough to call Lugo and Scutaro offensive players.  They probably went for the best player available.

They signed Lugo to be the leadoff hitter. He did have plus range on defense, but was not signed for his overall defense.

I think the only guy we ever really gave a shot at SS who was known as all glove/no hit was Gonzo... well maybe pokey Reese as well.

I loved the OCab deal, and he wasn't much of a hitter, but I wouldn't call him "no hit" as Iggy is being called.

Renteria was one of the best hitting SSs at the time of the signing.

Scutaro had just come off his best hitting year of his career. He was never known for great fielding at SS.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTChris. Show CTChris's posts

I'm not sold that Sox mgmt values a good bat at SS over a good glove. I think what were talking about here is an acceptable level of play.....and that means at the plate and in the field.

At the time of the draft, any team looking at a kid will have to have some sort of projection as to where they will end up playing. That's first and foremost. Take a kid that is projected to be one of the following:

Catcher

Secondbase

Short Stop

Centerfield

Would you draft a kid (who projects to play one of those positions) who has a really good bat but needs work defensively or would you draft a guy with really good defensive ability but needs some work at the plate?

I'd go with the good glove - needs plate work guy everytime for one of those positions. And that's my guess as to why the Sox "keep drafting or signing those types".

Turn it around when looking at a 1B, 3B, LF or RF type. Then, you might want a bat that needs defensive work.....to some degree.

Unfortunately, most of these kids at the time of the draft, have holes in their game on one side of the plate or the other. So you draft the talent that best suits the position they are expected to play and hope that your minor league system can help them develop the weaker aspect of their game to an acceptable MLB level.

Needless to say, that doesn't always happen. But that doesn't mean that the thought process behind why they were drafted is flawed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Normally there is 3-4 players who play in the DSL who are interesting prospects to follow. Last year there was 8 players who played in the DSL who look very interesting and I would put in the Sox top 70 prospects. You probably know about Manuel Margot, the solid 6 tool CFer. Here are the other 7 guys to keep an eye out on in order of my prefference.

1-Manuel Margot CF 18.5---Top 20 prospect.

2-Alixon Suarez C 18.7---Was an all star catcher in the DSL last year. Very good defense. Good size. an .824 OPs. Strong winter league performance aswell. I think he is a top 35 prospect.

3-Raimel Flores SS 18.5---Signed for more[900,000] then Manny Margot. Played very well[.783 OPS] before he got injured. Otherwise I think there would be better buzz. Also think he should be a top 40 prospect.

4-Dioscar Romero P 17.10---Signed for 600,000. Had a good year last year. Came on at the end of the year.

5-Victor Ramirez P  17.9---Put up a 1.32 ERA and a .923 WHIP as a 16 year old. Only signed for about 100 grand, but thats still solid money. At least 6-1.

6-Simon Mercedes P 21.0---Signed for 800,000. Big horse who throws fairly hard. Old for a DSLer. Has not proven he can pitch yet. So I am a little lower on him then some of the scouts.

7-Enfember Martinez P 17.6---The youngest player arguably pitched the best. A 1.69 ERA and a .969 WHIP. Both he and Ramirez did not strike guys out though.  Very small at 5-11 140. However, since he is so young, there is a lot of upside. Also signed for about 100 grand.

8-Keivin Heras P 18.5---The least interesting of the 8, but still solid.

The deepest DSL crop by far the system has ever produced IMO.

Great post! and good to know about guys in the DSL. Will keep an eye out for these guys and hopefully doing well in A ball shortly. Have to figure RS went heavy last year on Int'l FA aren't the rules now changed as far as how much $ they can now spend? Good to see they invested some $ before rule change.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to CTChris' comment:

I'm not sold that Sox mgmt values a good bat at SS over a good glove. I think what were talking about here is an acceptable level of play.....and that means at the plate and in the field.

At the time of the draft, any team looking at a kid will have to have some sort of projection as to where they will end up playing. That's first and foremost. Take a kid that is projected to be one of the following:

Catcher

Secondbase

Short Stop

Centerfield

Would you draft a kid (who projects to play one of those positions) who has a really good bat but needs work defensively or would you draft a guy with really good defensive ability but needs some work at the plate?

I'd go with the good glove - needs plate work guy everytime for one of those positions. And that's my guess as to why the Sox "keep drafting or signing those types".

Turn it around when looking at a 1B, 3B, LF or RF type. Then, you might want a bat that needs defensive work.....to some degree.

Unfortunately, most of these kids at the time of the draft, have holes in their game on one side of the plate or the other. So you draft the talent that best suits the position they are expected to play and hope that your minor league system can help them develop the weaker aspect of their game to an acceptable MLB level.

Needless to say, that doesn't always happen. But that doesn't mean that the thought process behind why they were drafted is flawed.

Also believe its more likely that a great fielding SS will become a fairly good hitter than vice a versa. Ozzie Smith made himself into a pretty good hitter w/ Cards in time, but its highly unlikely that a Hamley Rameriz type is going to become a Great fielding SS in time? RS would love to see Iggy develope into the same type of hitter that Ozzie became, doesn't always happen, but a chance. But I can't remember a so so fielding SS later becoming a Gold Glove SS, could be wrong, but don't remember one. Omar Vizquel another who became a pretty decent hitter over time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bryant

The kid is a beast.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You have to think that this year they might go after that power bat that they need. When you always pick in the later rounds all the powert bats are gone by then, so its harder to predict who could turn into one.

Now that they have the #7 pick there should be a couple left by the time it comes to the Sox. If they go for some slick fielding, good defense with not much power kind of player over a big bat then they would seriously need to rethink whos leading that scouting dept. and who got the final say on that #7 pick. If Bryant is there and they dont pick him, I might have a few ongoing nasty things to say about it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

You have to think that this year they might go after that power bat that they need. When you always lick in the later rounds all the powert bats are gone by then, so its harder to predict who could turn into one.

Now that they have the #7 pick there should be a couple left by the time it comes to the Sox. If they go for some slick fielding, good defense with not much power kind of player over a big bat then they would seriously need to rethink whos leading that scouting dept. and who got the final say on that #7 pick. If Bryant is there and they dont pick him, I might have a few ongoing nasty things to say about it.

Me too.  I just hope they don't pick a guy whose talent is maybe a little lower than the pick deems so they can spread they money around in other areas.  If this years draft is a little weaker than most (from what they've said, but I'm sure a lot can change) then I say you take the best player available and offer him slot.  Worst case scenario the sox get the #7 pick next year in a presumably better draft and they have the extra money above slot that they would have to spend on, lets say an Appel, to spend elsewhere. 

But, um, yeah....I would love a big bat in this draft.  There is a decent chance one might be there too.  It also might be a lot easier to sign a college player too, and that seems to be where a lot of the big bats are this year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

You have to think that this year they might go after that power bat that they need. When you always lick in the later rounds all the powert bats are gone by then, so its harder to predict who could turn into one.

Me too.  I just hope they don't pick a guy whose talent is maybe a little lower than the pick deems so they can spread they money around in other areas.  If this years draft is a little weaker than most (from what they've said, but I'm sure a lot can change) then I say you take the best player available and offer him slot.  Worst case scenario the sox get the #7 pick next year in a presumably better draft and they have the extra money above slot that they would have to spend on, lets say an Appel, to spend elsewhere. 

But, um, yeah....I would love a big bat in this draft.  There is a decent chance one might be there too.  It also might be a lot easier to sign a college player too, and that seems to be where a lot of the big bats are this year. 

I dont expect them to be a top ten pick again, so If I were them I would get a bat. There are NEVER big bats late rounds.

Sure, a guy could turn into one, but its more of a "sure bet" if hes in the top 10.