Oh hey, here's some prospect news.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Oh hey, here's some prospect news.

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

You have to think that this year they might go after that power bat that they need. When you always lick in the later rounds all the powert bats are gone by then, so its harder to predict who could turn into one.

Now that they have the #7 pick there should be a couple left by the time it comes to the Sox. If they go for some slick fielding, good defense with not much power kind of player over a big bat then they would seriously need to rethink whos leading that scouting dept. and who got the final say on that #7 pick. If Bryant is there and they dont pick him, I might have a few ongoing nasty things to say about it.

Me too.  I just hope they don't pick a guy whose talent is maybe a little lower than the pick deems so they can spread they money around in other areas.  If this years draft is a little weaker than most (from what they've said, but I'm sure a lot can change) then I say you take the best player available and offer him slot.  Worst case scenario the sox get the #7 pick next year in a presumably better draft and they have the extra money above slot that they would have to spend on, lets say an Appel, to spend elsewhere. 

But, um, yeah....I would love a big bat in this draft.  There is a decent chance one might be there too.  It also might be a lot easier to sign a college player too, and that seems to be where a lot of the big bats are this year. 

I dont expect them to be a top ten pick again, so If I were them I would get a bat. There are NEVER big bats late rounds.

Sure, a guy could turn into one, but its more of a "sure bet" if hes in the top 10.

Isn't our pick protected?  I'm not 100% positive on this but I think we would get a top ten pick next year as well, if we failed to sign our pick this year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

this year the pirates have the #9 and the #14 pick because they failed to sign their pick last year.  If we failed to sign our pick this year we might end up with something like #8 #16 next year.   The rules on what pick you get when you fail to sign a top ten is something to look into that is for sure, some insight would be much welcomed. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Just looked it up, it would be the same pick +1  So if the Sox (for whatever reason) failed to sign their first round pick this year, they would receive the #8 pick next year.  Plus whatever pick they receive from the normal order. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Just a question for everyone,what are the places you go to get your news about the farm system?I'd like to know some other websites other than the 2 sites I usually go to.

I use

http://soxprospects.com/  and

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/affiliates/index.jsp?c_id=bos

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Just a question for everyone,what are the places you go to get your news about the farm system?I'd like to know some other websites other than the 2 sites I usually go to.

I use

http://soxprospects.com/  and

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/affiliates/index.jsp?c_id=bos

soxprospects is the best site I've found for Red Sox minor leagues. For the minor leagues in general I've found minor league ball to be very informative.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just looked it up, it would be the same pick +1  So if the Sox (for whatever reason) failed to sign their first round pick this year, they would receive the #8 pick next year.  Plus whatever pick they receive from the normal order. 

Yeah, your right hugh, although i would expect the Sox to give full value if they got a chance to sign a legit power bat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I read SoxProspects.com a lot.  I really like the conversation in their Forums and I also listen to their Podcasts as well.  Other websites I like

They seem to be the most consistent site that constantly talks prospects but other sites have good prospect talk from time to time. I also like

baseballprospectus.com

baseballamerica.com

sonsofsamhorn.net

fangrapshs.com

every once in a while there will be a good sox article on espn.com/boston weei.com and Nesn.

And of course......I Boston.com/redsox

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yeah, your right hugh, although i would expect the Sox to give full value if they got a chance to sign a legit power bat.

I agree, and it would be very anti climatic to get such a high pick and not use it.  But if they draft a kid who is demanding a bonus high above slot I'd be ok if they just offered him slot and if he doesn't take it, you have 2 first round picks next year with your first being the #8 pick.   All things considered, I'd expect the Sox to sign their pick. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Six Red Sox prospects ranked among the Top 150 in this list compiled by analyst John Sickels at Minor League Ball:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/3/13/4095252/minor-league-ball-top-150-prospects-for-2013-john-sickelsinor

... although Xander Bogaerts at No. 4 was the only Sox prospect among the Top 40.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Six Red Sox prospects ranked among the Top 150 in this list compiled by analyst John Sickels at Minor League Ball:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/3/13/4095252/minor-league-ball-top-150-prospects-for-2013-john-sickelsinor

... although Xander Bogaerts at No. 4 was the only Sox prospect among the Top 50.

He actually has Jackie Bradley Jr. sitting at 45 as well.

Thanks for the suggestions Carnie and ctredsoxfanhugh.I hadn't seen the minor league ball or baseball America websites  before.I have them on my favorites list now though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

... although Xander Bogaerts at No. 4 was the only Sox prospect among the Top 50.

He actually has Jackie Bradley Jr. sitting at 45 as well. 

Thanks for the suggestions Carnie and ctredsoxfanhugh.I hadn't seen the minor league ball or baseball America websites  before.I have them on my favorites list now though.

Thanks ... I made the correction.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Does anyone put out top 250 or 500 lists?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/03/scouting-scratch-early-reports-from.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

minor league ball does a 150

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/3/13/4095252/minor-league-ball-top-150-prospects-for-2013-john-sickels

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/3/13/4095252/minor-league-ball-top-150-prospects-for-2013-john-sickels

Cecchini (117) and Owens (137) involved in there...Its funny that Webster is at 88 and Zack Lee is at 120. Looks like we got the LAD top pitching prospect after all...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Cecchini (117) and Owens (137) involved in there...Its funny that Webster is at 88 and Zack Lee is at 120. Looks like we got the LAD top pitching prospect after all...

I was looking at that earlier this year as well.  I didn't think much about Webster at first but I think he actually may be better than De La Rosa, whose pure stuff may be a bit better but Webster I think has a much better shot of putting it all together.  

Control was an issue with him, and supposedly his command has improved this spring, so hopefully he continues to show control this season. One thing I found interesting about Webster is that he barely pitched in highschool.  Webster was a short stop I belive, so he may not only have further to go up the learning curve, but has less wear and tear on his arm as well. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I was looking at that earlier this year as well.  I didn't think much about Webster at first but I think he actually may be better than De La Rosa, whose pure stuff may be a bit better but Webster I think has a much better shot of putting it all together.  

Control was an issue with him, and supposedly his command has improved this spring, so hopefully he continues to show control this season. One thing I found interesting about Webster is that he barely pitched in highschool.  Webster was a short stop I belive, so he may not only have further to go up the learning curve, but has less wear and tear on his arm as well. 

I like Webster better than De La Rosa myself,although I think both are good.There's another good thing about Webster's not pitching too much in High School.He's not going to have a lot of the bad habits some kids develop while in High School from the repetition of pitching.I think he'll be less resistant to changing his arm slot,release point,etc. as needed. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im almost thinking that RDLR is going to end up a closer. Hopefully he can get his command under control, which has been a big issue with him.

I think Webster is going to be a TOTR starter with "Ace" potential. Low miles on that arm and his delivery is smooth and compact.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm still hopefull for RDLR.  From what I've heard his stuff is absolutely through the roof, it's all a matter of if he can put it together. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm still hopefull for RDLR.  From what I've heard his stuff is absolutely through the roof, it's all a matter of if he can put it together. 

His "stuff' is great. Hes got a change up that would fool the best MLB hitters. it rates as plus plus...His control will decide his fate. He tends to overthrow.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Given his mechanical issues, and the fact that he is recovering from surgery I can see him spending all or most of the season in Pawtucket.  They will give him every shot to start this year.  But if it doesn't work out I feel good about him being a high leverage reliever, especially with how promising Webster looks.  And to think we got these two guys AND dumped 250 million dollars. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It'll be interesting to watch Rubby's progress as he continues his recovery from TJS. Not too many guys have a 100 mph fastball and a wipeout changeup. I wonder if Pedro will spend any time in Pawtucket working with him this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

It'll be interesting to watch Rubby's progress as he continues his recovery from TJS. Not too many guys have a 100 mph fastball and a wipeout changeup. I wonder if Pedro will spend any time in Pawtucket working with him this year.

Pedro loves this kid, so Im sure he'll spend some time with him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SallyCarnie. Show SallyCarnie's posts

Among the minor-leaguers set to get into tonight's game in the late innings is top-10 prospect Garin Cecchini.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts