Oh hey, here's some prospect news.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Oh hey, here's some prospect news.

Maybe the sox already have there eyes set on the next international sensation to join the Organization.  

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1278115.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Maybe the sox already have there eyes set on the next international sensation to join the Organization.  

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1278115.html

Great read.Thanks for sharing the link.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

No problem, let's not get too excited though, the kid is only 15.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

No problem, let's not get too excited though, the kid is only 15.

theyve been talking about bryce harper since he was that age. i remember seeing an E:60 report on him when he dropped out of HS and went to Jr College and they were talking about him like he was already a star in the MLB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Alex Speier has a really nice article on JBJ and his coach back in Virginia up today. Apparently Bradley's coach from 8th grade on was a huge Red Sox fan. This story just gets better and better.

Great article!  Thanks, Carnie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Actually, thanks EVERYONE for all the information....great stuff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/03/2013-prospect-previews-brian-johnson.html

Nice artivle on Soxprospects this morning.  I really like Johnson a lot.  I guess his ceiling isn't all that high, but he has a really high floor though.  So maybe he never becomes an ace but he has a very solid chance of being a number 4,5 guy.  Which I think can be huge in the back of the rotation that in the future will feature a few of the guys from the Lester, Buccholz, Doubront, Barnes, Webster, Owens, RBDLR group. Marrero is interesting too, however being a #1 draft pick I'm hoping he shows us more than he did in Lowell last year.  If he does then our farm system will feature some nice strength at the SS position between Bogaerts, Iglesias, Marrero and Vinicio. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The more I read about Johnson the better I like him. He may not have the upside of some of our sexier pitching prospects, but he seems like almost a sure bet to be a solid 4/5 starter. And those guys have value, especially since the going rate for a FA for that position seems to be in the neighborhood of $10M per. Marrero is the more interesting guy to me though. He was always thought to have a pretty solid bat while he was in college, but an ankle injury seems to have significantly hindered his offensive production. Enough so that he slid to the Red Sox in the draft from his original projection as a top 10 pick. In some ways his case is very similar to Jackie Bradley Jr.'s, who was also projected as a top 10 pick prior to an injury. Another similarity between JBJ and Marrero is that the tools they possess aren't the ones that the scouts who rank prospects tend to fall in love with. If SS weren't such a crowded position in our minor league system I'd look for him to make a JBJ like rise through the Red Sox farm system. But with Drew in the ML, Iglesias at AAA and Bogaerts at AA, not to mention Vinicio and Tzu Wei Lin he might not be able to shoot up as quickly as Bradley Jr. did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The more I read about Johnson the better I like him. He may not have the upside of some of our sexier pitching prospects, but he seems like almost a sure bet to be a solid 4/5 starter. And those guys have value, especially since the going rate for a FA for that position seems to be in the neighborhood of $10M per. Marrero is the more interesting guy to me though. He was always thought to have a pretty solid bat while he was in college, but an ankle injury seems to have significantly hindered his offensive production. Enough so that he slid to the Red Sox in the draft from his original projection as a top 10 pick. In some ways his case is very similar to Jackie Bradley Jr.'s, who was also projected as a top 10 pick prior to an injury. Another similarity between JBJ and Marrero is that the tools they possess aren't the ones that the scouts who rank prospects tend to fall in love with. If SS weren't such a crowded position in our minor league system I'd look for him to make a JBJ like rise through the Red Sox farm system. But with Drew in the ML, Iglesias at AAA and Bogaerts at AA, not to mention Vinicio and Tzu Wei Lin he might not be able to shoot up as quickly as Bradley Jr. did.

All of these guys may not stay at SS, but it's nice to be stocked at a position we have struggled at for so long.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nice artivle on Soxprospects this morning.  I really like Johnson a lot.  I guess his ceiling isn't all that high, but he has a really high floor though.  So maybe he never becomes an ace but he has a very solid chance of being a number 4,5 guy.  Which I think can be huge in the back of the rotation that in the future will feature a few of the guys from the Lester, Buccholz, Doubront, Barnes, Webster, Owens, RBDLR group. Marrero is interesting too, however being a #1 draft pick I'm hoping he shows us more than he did in Lowell last year.  If he does then our farm system will feature some nice strength at the SS position between Bogaerts, Iglesias, Marrero and Vinicio. 

I read this one on Johnson. Guys like him are valuable to a rotation. Hes a big boy too. If he can come back good from that hit to the melon, he got the makings of a solid BOTR starter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Soxprospects has a scouting report from Anthony Ranaudo's saturday outing against the Twins minor leaguers posted today. Apparently he struggled with his mechanics early but settled down as the game wore on. He'll probably start out in Portland after last year's debacle, but I can't help but wonder what Rich Sauveur would be able to do with him in Pawtucket.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Soxprospects has a scouting report from Anthony Ranaudo's saturday outing against the Twins minor leaguers posted today. Apparently he struggled with his mechanics early but settled down as the game wore on. He'll probably start out in Portland after last year's debacle, but I can't help but wonder what Rich Sauveur would be able to do with him in Pawtucket.

If he can sustain some consistency in AA, he could receive a promotion mid season. Ranaudo dealt with a groin injury that was bothering him last year which slightly messed with his mechanics to compensate. Hes another of those mid to back of the rotation guys the Sox have in their system.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I read this one on Johnson. Guys like him are valuable to a rotation. Hes a big boy too. If he can come back good from that hit to the melon, he got the makings of a solid BOTR starter.

Exactly, I know that isn't what some fans want to hear but guys like him have a lot of value.  Not every prospect can be the next Strasburg BUT! if this guy can pitch 200 innings and give you an ERA south of 5.00 that has a LOT of value at the league minimum as oppsed to paying Lackey 15 million a year.  I understand Lackey wasn't paid to be a #5 but how often in this league do the back end of the rotation end up being overpaid underperformers???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

If he can sustain some consistency in AA, he could receive a promotion mid season. Ranaudo dealt with a groin injury that was bothering him last year which slightly messed with his mechanics to compensate. Hes another of those mid to back of the rotation guys the Sox have in their system.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  After missing a season he is going to need some consistency this year.  I wouldn't even be surprised if he shows a little rust and struggles but if he can just stay healthy I can see him making some big strides later this summer. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Scott Boras offered his thoughts on the Jackie Bradley Jr. situation yesterday. Oddly enough he's not worried. :-) Also soxprospects had a scout at Allen Webster's latest outing who has this analysis of the pitcher's game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Just curious,what do you guys think of former UCONN player George Springer?He was Matt Barnes teammate on the Huskies.I think he's in the Astros farm system now .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From Friday morning's Prospects Chat with Mike Newman at FanGraphs:

1:31 [ Comment From Thomas Thomas: ] Which team's fan base has the greatest interest in or knowledge of their team's prospects?  

Friday March 29, 2013   1:31 Thomas 1:31 Mike Newman: Red Sox fans are tough to beat. For me, Sox Prospects is the best team centric minor league site going. Indians Prospect Insider is also great, but they are behind a pay wall now.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

From Friday morning's Prospects Chat with Mike Newman at FanGraphs:

1:31 [ Comment From Thomas Thomas: ] Which team's fan base has the greatest interest in or knowledge of their team's prospects?  

Friday March 29, 2013   1:31 Thomas 1:31 Mike Newman: Red Sox fans are tough to beat. For me, Sox Prospects is the best team centric minor league site going. Indians Prospect Insider is also great, but they are behind a pay wall now.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/

I like to think that's because a lot of us as 3rd and sometimes 4th generation fans have a lot of passion for our team, and that we're also wicked smart. On the other hand we might all be OCD.