Oh No Bill ,,, Ortiz "is" Getting Healthy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Oh No Bill ,,, Ortiz

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

never posted that ortiz should have made it back in a few months.  But he never had surgery and all intial reports indicated that he was going to be back quickly.  Now we are in the next season and Ortiz is still nagging about an achilles which never went under the knife.

The comparison to Mazz was to simply say that people who have had surgery, complain less then Ortiz, and some get back to running a lot sooner too.

Ortiz tried to come back too soon and couldn't.

Now he's "complaining"?

I should've known it came from Mazz...

He and Felger and the pefect pair.

I don't suppose it occurred to you and  DR Mazz that having surgery is part of the reason said "slob" healed quicker?

In hindsight, maybe Ortiz should've gone under the knife last July.

Too late now.

According to initial reports he was supposed to be back in a few weeks, so coming back when he did cannot be considered too soon.

Sorry if my posts seem to be complaints to you.  I know you want to hear everything is fine with david and missing 71 games last season was a fluke and we should only concentrate on the first half of last season.

intiial reports by whom?? can you provide a link?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

is this forum so ractionary that a 37 yr old guy who hasnt come back in 6 months from an achilles injury really a taboo subject?

truly dumb...

Space unintentionally gave us the best reason not to worry...he is only a

designated. hitter.   

those guys are easily replaced by creative managers who can mix/match lineups....The Ortiz DH model is as outdated as his achilles...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

is this forum so ractionary that a 37 yr old guy who hasnt come back in 6 months from an achilles injury a taboo subject?

truly dumb...

Space unintentionally gave us the best reason not to worry...he is on a

designated. hitter.   

those guys are easily replaced by creative managers who can mix/match lineups....The Ortiz H model is as outdated as his achilles...

Good point Geo.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/03/04/david-ortiz-after-running-i-was-moving-pretty-good/

Some good news on the Ortiz front.

By the way geo, I directly said I wasnt so worried because of papi being a DH and not a position player...There is reason to be concerned because of age and the nature of the injury, but with the Sox being incredibly cautious some here are a little too "concerned".

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Are you seriously denying that it was originally a "day to day" injury? Did you forget?

http://www.thescore.com/home/articles/303630-ortiz-injures-achilles-in-boston-s-win-over-white-sox

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Are you seriously denying that it was originally a "day to day" injury? Did you forget?

http://www.thescore.com/home/articles/303630-ortiz-injures-achilles-in-boston-s-win-over-white-sox

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/03/04/david-ortiz-after-running-i-was-moving-pretty-good/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Softy, 

Your a troll and a fool. I'm 64 going on 65 in November and with work I'm healthier now than I've been in years. Up until my early 40s I covered up to 125 miles a week training in long distance running but I gave it up as my knees were getting too cranky. About two years ago at 62 I started getting back on my cycle and putting serious mileage. Last year I covered over 4000 miles cycling with hoping to cover 5-6000 this year, so your statement is one made from your own ignorance and stupidity. And what do you mean by old men. Ortiz is 37 or so and you consider that old. You are a MORON.

Answer me this oh smart one. If I can cover 50 miles in one bike ride last year over three hours and two years before my limit was 20 miles I guess in your standards somehow I'm not getting healthier. I'd love to hear your educated answer. 

Hetch 

============================================

Bravo and "Hoorah" for you, Hetch, as all things being relative, you are a youngster & appear young and sound of mind too.

Re Softy's comment :"Ortiz isn't every going to be "healthy", again. Old men don't get healthier."

I am not defending him but it's sort of a matter of semantics/ interpretation as I associate not being healthy as having maladies that can lead to one going below the turf before they wished to do so. I think he really means that Oritz is not ever going to be physically able to do things at the same degree of competence he once did when he was younger.

The natural order of things is that we slow down and can't do things we did when we were younger but what does that have to do with not being "Healthy" enough, albeit not at the same level, to physically be a contributing factor to the team.

Not to beat a dead horse and one needs not be Sherlock Holmes to realize that if one was in good shape athletically at 21, then at 37 they will not have the same  physical skills. I know some people who said they were fat, out of shape, didn't play sports in High School and College and then in their 30s-40s & 50s, felt healthier than in their 20s.

As a designated hitter even at 75% eyesight and physical ability, Ortiz will be better than most hitters 10-15 years younger.

To toot my horn a bit, as I am a Septuagenarian, I favor older players. I play Super Senior over 65 & 70 USTA tennis tournaments and also a lot of singles and beat guys 30 years younger. Yup, I admit to using spin serves, slices, top spin, lobs, drop shots etc so it's not, obviously, a physical dominance. I jog a 10 min mile, swim 20 laps a  day and earned a brown belt Karate belt 15 years ago at 60. I boxed in college and in the USMC. I am a combat Marine Officer Viet Nam Veteran.

I know it's football but I remind everyone of  "the Over The Hill Gang".   The average age of The Redskin starters was 31 years old.  However, Allen's strategy turned the Redskins around as the team improved to a 9-4-1 record in 1971, and finished the 1972 season with an NFC-best 11-3 record. The retooled Redskins' nine victories in 1971 was the most by a Washington team in 29 years. In his seven seasons with the club, Allen and his veterans produced seven winning records,  five playoff appearances, and one trip to the Super Bowl.   

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I am a combat Marine Officer Viet Nam Veteran.

Since my early teens, in the late 60's, I've regarded Vietnam veterans as the best of my geneartion. None had to go, and every two out of three entered military service as volunteers. Even those who were drafted didn't really have to go. For those who didn't have political cover, it was relatively easy to get deferments as a student taking almost anything. Paying Doctors to write "mentally distrubed" letters to the local draft board, fasting to drop below the weight to height physical requirement, etc. etc. And for the few that remained and didn't want to go, conscientious objector assertions resulted in non-combat duty, and for those who didn't want to do that there was the safe haven of Canada or, worst cast, probation or, in most cases, 18 months prison sentence in which, typically, only a fraction of that time would be served. My generation was entirely responsible for the disgraceful treatment of the best of part of that generation, those who served this Nation by doing what they absolutely did not have to do. In fact, it was popular for members of my generation to be a draft dodger and, instead of petitioning and legally harrassing their federal representatives to end the war, it was popular to publicly protest and support the communists while our troops were in harms way. This created the climate where the communsits knew that the clock was on their side. In addition, my generation (virtually silent during the aid and advisor years from the 50's to the mid 60's) provided the climate for the insane politcal micromanaged limited engagement policy that resulted in our "no boots in Cambodia and Laos and Vietnam north of the DMZ" diplomacy. The communists (PAVN/"NVA" and NLF/"Viet Cong") simply used this policy to attack and terroris and retreat, sending shells from these safe havens.  Thus, despite the fact that our troops forced the communist militants to vacate and or retreat from virtually every major engagement in Vietnam, they had safe havens to stage and restage from Cambodia, Laos and north of the DMZ. Politically, our troops were not allowed to use airborne deployed troops into Cambodia and Laos and North Vietnam to block the communist militants returing to regroup and resupply from these staging havens, in what would surely have resulted in the virtual wiping out of their trained armed forces capabilities to such an extent that the communist politburo would have had to surrender or obtain active troop involvement from China and other communist military powers, a prosepct that almost surely would not have been politically palatable and which would have likely resulted in an international accord which would have resulted in a long term result similar to North and South Korea.

Regardless of the speculation about the politics of the Vietnam War, no sane man can make a valid argument that the best of our generation is anyone else but those who served this Nation by going to Vietnam and doing something they absolutely did not have to do. And I am certain that this Nation would be strong economically if our contempoary leaders were predominantly members of my generation who voluntarily walked the dangerous road less traveled. Instead, the worst of my generation has been remaking American public policy.

Since you are Marines, my best guess would be you served in I or II Corps? My father is a WWII combat veteran, but he always tells me he was "lucky and never had too worry too much". I have studied the military records and know he had plenty to worry about.

Because Vietnam is the war during my generation, as sensitive a subject as it is, I have learned as much about the facts as a I possiblly can. Ultimately, only those in harms way have the moral standing and can authoritatively speak on the facts. I certainly can't pretend to do that. Bur, from all the words from virtually all of the Vietnam veterans I have read, the brotherhood and self sacrifice is profoundly humbling. And, despite the horrific physical environmental circumstances and politics, the performance of our teams of troops is amazingly inspirational. Am I and my generation deserving of such acts of selfless sacrifice? I certainly don't feel that I am, and feel beholding and ever grateful to our veterans who did, and who do. To me, perhaps the darkest moment in American history during my lifetime is my generation's treatment of our Vietnam veterans. Do the leaders of my generation owe them a private and public apology? No question in my mind. 

Anyway, my brother-in-law is a Vietnam veteran, 1967-1968 68th Assault Helicopter Compnay, Top Tiger-Mustang Gunship UH-1C, III Corps. I see him once a year during Christmas. He's used his military training after retiring with 20 years of military service, flying a Sikorsky S-61 for Ratheon at AUTEC, Andros Island.

Sorry to digress on this thread. Despite my comments on Ortiz, all how who know me since I've been here, since 2007, know that I've been a huge supporter. My support remains, but I'm a realist in regards to professional athletic performance and age.

==========================================

Softy, from my heart I thank you for your insightful and thoughtful comments about the VietNam war & its veterans.

In my day, the early 60s,  I did not just join the Military because I was gung-ho. I did not want to go to Viet Nam, but I chose to honor my obligation.  Unless one was in school or 4 F, if one had a 1A draft classification, they were subject as a patriotic duty to enter the military.  If not,  conscientious objector did not work frequently,  so one would go to jail or flee to Canada. What you say may be true re: people getting deferments, doctors to falsify medical reports, staying in school an extra year or two etc., but, I repeat, as a child whose parents came through Ellis Island from Italy, I wanted to be as patriotic as I could be and honor my citizenship.

As I am in my mid 70s and was not a career military person, I still had a draft obligation but the 3 years(1963-1966) fortunately terminated before the heavy fighting in that horrible conflict.  But I did see combat action as an Advisor to the Vietnamese troops(ARVN---army of the republic) in engagements on various hilltops against the VietCong in the Que Son Valley area( not to be confused with Khe Sahn in NW South Vietnam where many Marines lost their lives in fierce battles in 1969 early 70s  ) ,Tam ky,  Thang-binh, Hiep duc,  Tuan duong. These battle sites had hill #s(numbers). I flew into Da Nang on a C-130 and fortunately in one piece flew out on that troop carrier. I was in San Francisco in the late 60s when the beatniks and love children flourished in Haight Asbury. It was so sad for me to see peacenik marches in which we were accused of being baby killers.  

Viet Nam was a horrible war in that when we returned home there was little celebration and many time we were spit at.  Troops today from Iraq & Afghan get heroes welcomes. I say today, irrespective of one's political differences, respect our troops because they are the real heroes and I, reiterate, we had to go as it was our obligation so why were we treated so miserably by many civilians at home. Mea Culpa, sorry, I am way off tangent here.  Viet Nam is an experience I would like to forget.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Thanks for the back up.  It shows who is paying attention and who is not.  When Ortiz first went out, I had some very good friends repeat the media reports daily,  on how he would would be back shortly.

Yes, the media are NEVER wrong about an injury report....er.... i mean HELL, DRs are never wrong about an injury.... oh wait..  OH, I got it. Bostons medical staff is NEVER wrong about an injury....... oh.... wait... they are. quite frequently.

if may have been reported to be a D2D injury but that doesn't mean it was. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Softy, 

Your a troll and a fool. I'm 64 going on 65 in November and with work I'm healthier now than I've been in years. Up until my early 40s I covered up to 125 miles a week training in long distance running but I gave it up as my knees were getting too cranky. About two years ago at 62 I started getting back on my cycle and putting serious mileage. Last year I covered over 4000 miles cycling with hoping to cover 5-6000 this year, so your statement is one made from your own ignorance and stupidity. And what do you mean by old men. Ortiz is 37 or so and you consider that old. You are a MORON.

Answer me this oh smart one. If I can cover 50 miles in one bike ride last year over three hours and two years before my limit was 20 miles I guess in your standards somehow I'm not getting healthier. I'd love to hear your educated answer. 

Hetch 

Thumbs up to you. As for that other poster, after years of restraint, I am done, not responding,he is an annoying idiot,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Older guys recover.  It's been proven, but it just takes longer.  I would be concerned if Ortiz was one of those guys that was playing just for the money.  He loves baseball and he loves the Red Sox.  He will hang it up when he can no longer help.  Count on it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/03/07/david-ortiz-after-running-i-dont-think-i-can-play-like-that/

Your move.

25. This post has been removed.