OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess......

SON, what say you ????   Beckett has a bad thumb ????   All of these contracts that you left us with, like the Right Rev. Wright's CHICKENS, coming home to roooost !!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess......

What a mess !!!!   Chicken all over the new club house @ Fenway South !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I'm beggining to wonder if having all that money to spend doesn't make a GM sloppy. They sign players because they can, not cause it makes the most sense. All the teams that have gone this route have to absorb at least one bad contract, and waste a roster spot on someone who is only there because of the money.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess......:

Posted by 2004Idiots
      "PRICELESS"   !!!!!!!Money mouth

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Posted by TBINFL

Classic !! Now those are some serious side saddles !! Lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess...... : Classic !! Now those are some serious side saddles !! Lol
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

He looks more like bobby jenks!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

I'm beggining to wonder if having all that money to spend doesn't make a GM sloppy. They sign players because they can, not cause it makes the most sense. All the teams that have gone this route have to absorb at least one bad contract, and waste a roster spot on someone who is only there because of the money.
    Posted by attic-dan

Cherrington obviously should have taken an elective course in college on the anatomy of thumbs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Posted by attic-dan
    It is all relative. You don't have money and you keep guys on the roster because that is all you can afford. You rush prospects before their time and stall their growth. And you let guys walk who you should keep on occasions too.

Also while I get the point of the OP, I don't think that Beckett is a very good example. Until he shows otherwise, Carl Crawford is the poster child of the Epstein mess. he may easily be the worst FA signing ever, certainly the worst during Theo's reign. While Josh Beckett had a controversial year last year, he was the best starting pitcher on the staff, hands down.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Theo didn't hire Valentine.

At least that's one thing you can't pin on him!

I'm going to stay safe inside and play with the monkey while Jim wrestles with a python snake, an alligator and a jaguar....have you got protection?...Mutual of Omaha can keep you safe too!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess...... : It is all relative. You don't have money and you keep guys on the roster because that is all you can afford. You rush prospects before their time and stall their growth. And you let guys walk who you should keep on occasions too. Also while I get the point of the OP, I don't think that Beckett is a very good example. Until he shows otherwise, Carl Crawford is the poster child of the Epstein mess. he may easily be the worst FA signing ever, certainly the worst during Theo's reign. While Josh Beckett had a controversial year last year, he was the best starting pitcher on the staff, hands down.   
    Posted by fivekatz

The signing of Crawford makes my point, IMO the Sox signed him because they could. The signing never made any sense to me unless they were going to trade Ellsbury.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

In Response to OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess......:
       SON, what say you ????   Beckett has a bad thumb ????   All of these contracts that you left us with, like the Right Rev. Wright's CHICKENS, coming home to roooost !!!!!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

I thought you were Theo's biggest fan? What happened?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess...... :     The signing of Crawford makes my point, IMO the Sox signed him because they could. The signing never made any sense to me unless they were going to trade Ellsbury.
    Posted by attic-dan
    The $$$ never made sense and based on Carl's career stats his fit for the RS was less than ideal. You add in in LH factors and yes, it never made sense but celarly it did to Epstein and much of his staff.

Honestly I don't think they did Crawford because they "could", in their alternate view they saw this a really solid move for 2011 and beyond IMO. Guys like Jenks and Lugo are cases of "because you can afford to" from my point a view. Carrying a $3M back-up catcher like Tek last year was because they could afford to. Going 5 years on JD Drew was because they could afford to...

Crawford was likely a huge mistake (let's say the jury is still out just how big) and one that like you Dan I will never quite see the baseball logic of the signing. Because just how big the contract was AND the lack of fit. As you went through the other hitters the RS had, Crawford never really fit at the top of the batting order.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Just curious, but what makes people think Theo could spend like a drunken sailor without ownership aproving each and every deal?  What makes people think that he was allowed to sign Crawford and Lackey without Lucchino's full support?

Besides, it's the deal for Gonzo that hurt the depth of the pitching staff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess...... : The $$$ never made sense and based on Carl's career stats his fit for the RS was less than ideal. You add in in LH factors and yes, it never made sense but celarly it did to Epstein and much of his staff. Honestly I don't think they did Crawford because they "could", in their alternate view they saw this a really solid move for 2011 and beyond IMO. Guys like Jenks and Lugo are cases of "because you can afford to" from my point a view. Carrying a $3M back-up catcher like Tek last year was because they could afford to. Going 5 years on JD Drew was because they could afford to... Crawford was likely a huge mistake (let's say the jury is still out just how big) and one that like you Dan I will never quite see the baseball logic of the signing. Because just how big the contract was AND the lack of fit. As you went through the other hitters the RS had, Crawford never really fit at the top of the batting order.  
    Posted by fivekatz

One of Theo's flaws if you will, is that he falls in love with players, beyond all reason. I put the Drew and Lugo signings there. I'll disagree to a point The Varitek  and such signings are usually for shorter duration, so mistakes there doesn't effect payroll into the future. The big money teams, so to speak, IMO think with their wallet instead of their heads.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess...... : I thought you were Theo's biggest fan? What happened?
    Posted by BostonBruinss
      I was.......  But the proof is in the CHICKEN..........  The length of THEO'S bad contracts rivals only the "BIg O" and all his double down on GREEN ENERGY !!!!!   BTW, after only 8 posts, you get high marks for asking the hard questions !!   Keep up the good work, young fella !!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess...... :   One of Theo's flaws if you will, is that he falls in love with players, beyond all reason. I put the Drew and Lugo signings there. I'll disagree to a point The Varitek  and such signings are usually for shorter duration, so mistakes there doesn't effect payroll into the future. The big money teams, so to speak, IMO think with their wallet instead of their heads.
    Posted by attic-dan
    Or the size of their wallets are such that their wallets won't protect them from their heads.

The walet itself is an issue that drives big market teams. Their market is "big" because they are successful, so they invest in trying to perpetuate that until they hit a ceiling (like RS have at $160M range).

The RS this off season behaved like a small market team.

As for the AGon trade hurting the pitching, Case Kelly still might be 2 years or more from being a MLB pitcher. IMHO the $20M committed to Crawford was a bigger cholke collar than not having a AA pitcher... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: OH THEO, OH THEO, you left us with one HE!! of a mess...... : Or the size of their wallets are such that their wallets won't protect them from their heads. The walet itself is an issue that drives big market teams. Their market is "big" because they are successful, so they invest in trying to perpetuate that until they hit a ceiling (like RS have at $160M range). The RS this off season behaved like a small market team. As for the AGon trade hurting the pitching, Case Kelly still might be 2 years or more from being a MLB pitcher. IMHO the $20M committed to Crawford was a bigger cholke collar than not having a AA pitcher... 
    Posted by fivekatz

fivekatz, I agree with much of what you say. IMO the biggest advantage  big market teams had was they could  could swallow their mistakes a luxury the Tampa Bay's of the world didn't have. It appears, at least for this year that there, is a tipping point where even the Yankees say enough. In years past it wouldn't be unusual to see Fielder sign on as the NY DH or the Sox making a run at Oswalt. With the money, and years, on current elite FA contracts is making all teams pause and consider the future ramifications of such a move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THEO,,,, With a star role in "THE FLIGHT FROM FENWAY"  !!!!

Sections
Shortcuts