OK. It's Time. Put Up or Shut Up. Your Hot Stove Projections Please!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: OK. It's Time. Put Up or Shut Up. Your Hot Stove Projections Please!

One hour and 40 minutes and counting. 
    Jonathan, happy for you---good luck wherever you choose to call home next.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Softy, for the record, the "Ellsbury will have a monster year" comment was last winter. When we sent Pedroia to the Arizona Performance Institute he came back a stud. Then Youk. Most recently Ellsbury. They should send everyone there some winter and the team will come back all world. It was an informed projection and it was right. The Ellsbury will hit over 20 HR some years projection was several years ago but it was never intended for that time. You had him as a slap hitting pea shooter forever.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

If Papelbon and Papi do move on it would be the passing of an era. Both are deserved team icons. Imagine if Tek, Wakefield ...etc also leave. This would be a major transition year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

good - that is one "projection" of that is what you call it, that I would like to see happen:

Bye-Bye Wakefield, Tek, Ortiz, and thank the heavens Lackey on the DL all year... I do look forward to Dice-K and his redemption in August.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

When we look at Papelbon's string of achievement and Ortiz's .953 OPS last year, I've gotta say it's tough to pull the trigger on those 2. A strong case could be made for keeping both. We do want to win next year right? To me, at least one has to go though or we will not be able to properly address other needs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Our middle son is leaving on a business trip through 5 countries in Europe and Asia tomorrow morning. Over 2 weeks in India. It's his first major trip like that. I can't help but worry. It's not at all easy being a parent. Sometimes it's hardest when they are gone. He's only 23 years old. Did our parents worry like that? I didn't feel it as a child but I'm sure it's true. We only discover many things in life for ourselves. We can't impart everything to our children, as much as we would like to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: OK. It's Time. Put Up or Shut Up. Your Hot Stove Projections Please!:
    MY 2012 RED SOX ROSTER PREDICTION LINEUP 1 CARL CRAWFORD LF 2 DUSTIN PEDROIA 2B 3 JACOBY ELLSBURY CF 4 ADRIAN GONZALEZ 1B 5 CARLOS BELTRAN DH/RF* 6 KEVIN YOUKILLIS 3B 7 GRADY SIZEMORE RF* (FREQUENT REST NEEDED DUE TO HIS INJURY RISK) 8 JARROD SALTALAMACCHIA C 9 MARCO SCUTARO SS BENCH: RYAN KALISH RF RYAN LAVARNWAY C/DH JOSE IGLESIAS SS MIKE AVILES IF STARTING ROTATION 1 JON LESTER LHP 2 JOSH BECKETT RHP 3 ROY OSWALT RHP* 4 CLAY BUCHOLZ RHP 5 ALFREDO ACEVES RHP BULLPEN: KYLE WEILAND LONG RELIEF RHP FELIX DOUBRONT LONG RELIEF LHP BOBBY JENKS RHP MIKE GONZALEZ LHP* FRANKLIN MORALES LHP DANIEL BARD SET UP RHP JONATHAN PAPELBON CL RHP* * CARLOS BELTRAN - 3 YRS @ 14M WITH 4TH YR CLUB OPTION FOR 15M GRADY SIZEMORE - 1 YR 10M ROY OSWALT - SAME CONTRACT AS BELTRAN'S  MIKE GONZALEZ - 2 YRS @ 6M 3RD YR CLUB OPTION FOR 5 MIL JONATHAN PAPELBON - 3 YRS @ 13M 4&5TH PLAYER OPTION FOR 14&15M
    Posted by seannybboi

OK what firestorm would come about if Cherington goes and signs 2 35 year old veterans to 3 year contracts at $14million per season?? I know its just your prediction...but I hope the contract terms you predict never come to fruition for either of these players.

I give these guys the same deals you are offering Sizemore with team options for 2 and 3rd years...but some makeable incentives for each to get to the $14million if they do well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

MY 2012 RED SOX ROSTER PREDICTION

LINEUP

1 CARL CRAWFORD LF
    2 DUSTIN PEDROIA 2B
    3 JACOBY ELLSBURY CF
    4 ADRIAN GONZALEZ 1B
    5 CARLOS BELTRAN DH/RF*
    6 KEVIN YOUKILLIS 3B
    7 GRADY SIZEMORE RF* (FREQUENT REST NEEDED DUE TO HIS INJURY RISK)
    8 JARROD SALTALAMACCHIA C
    9 MARCO SCUTARO SS

BENCH:
    RYAN KALISH RF
    RYAN LAVARNWAY C/DH
    JOSE IGLESIAS SS
    MIKE AVILES IF

STARTING ROTATION
    1 JON LESTER LHP
    2 JOSH BECKETT RHP
    3 ROY OSWALT RHP*
    4 CLAY BUCHOLZ RHP
    5 ALFREDO ACEVES RHP

BULLPEN:
    KYLE WEILAND LONG RELIEF RHP
    FELIX DOUBRONT LONG RELIEF LHP
    BOBBY JENKS RHP
    MIKE GONZALEZ LHP*
    FRANKLIN MORALES LHP
    DANIEL BARD SET UP RHP
    JONATHAN PAPELBON CL RHP*

CARLOS BELTRAN - 3 YRS @ 14M WITH 4TH YR CLUB OPTION FOR 15M
    GRADY SIZEMORE - 1 YR 10M

ROY OSWALT - SAME CONTRACT AS BELTRAN'S 
    MIKE GONZALEZ - 2 YRS @ 6M 3RD YR CLUB OPTION FOR 5 MIL
    JONATHAN PAPELBON - 3 YRS @ 13M 4&5TH PLAYER OPTION FOR 14&15M

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beat-Boston. Show Beat-Boston's posts

Too early to make a prediction.

Let's see what they do first about the roster during the offseason.

I did predict that the NYY would finish in front of them last year and that is after they had gone 8-1 against the NYY.

Too many young kids on this forum. You all got sucked into this Boston mania and thought those tainted WS titles of Red Sux would continue. It didn't and won't.

Roid Sux won in 2004 because the roids and Joe Torre made it happen.

Keep in mind: 2 WS in 93 years. That's not a good track record.

BTW, the St Louis Cardinals have won 11 WS, second most to the Yankees.

Forget about catching the Yankees and their 27 WS titles. Your team won't even catch the Cardinals, let alone the Yanks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Willie Bloomquist? Would be the super utility player for Sox?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Couple more "Hot stove" guys...

David Aardma or Francisco Cordero to close or set up Bard/Paps

Kelly Shoppach, Ryan Doumit or Jason Kendal if V-tek is gone

Dotel to set up

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Ellsbury is not young. His career average on homers is the proper measure. API may be in the HGH business, and Pedroia and AGon make it easy for a meatball pull hitter swinging off the back foot. Ellsbury has 3 or 4 years before decline, to cement himself as that 20 plus hr career average that Boomer predicted 4 years ago. Think Pujols, or Drew, instead of Grissom.

Boomer, provide your Ellsbury offer extension, so we know now how much you value him. I value Ellsbury at 5 years and 40M. I would offer Ellsbury 6 years and 60M. I would trade Ellsbury now, not wait for new CBA and hope for Type A at end of next 2 years. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

C

Saltalamacchia (1 M)

Varitek (1 M)

Lavarnway (400 K)

1B

Gonzalez (21 M)

2B

Pedroia (8 M)

3B

Youkilis (12 M)

SS

Scutaro (6 M)

IF

Lowrie(1 M)

Aviles (1 M)

LF

Crawford (19.5)

CF

Ellsbury (6-8 M?)

RF

Reddick (400 K)

C. Beltran (2 Yr/24 M-2.5M BO)

Lineup vs RHP

Ellsbury

Crawford

Pedroia

Gonzalez

Youk

Beltran

Lavarnway (DH)

Saltalamacchia

Scutaro

Lineup vs LHP

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Gonzalez

Youk

Beltran

Crawford

Lavarnway (DH)

Saltalamacchia

Scutaro

Rotation

Beckett (15.75 M)

Lester (7.625 M)

Buchholz (3.5 M)

Aceves (1 M)

Darvish (55, 555,556 Posting Fee- 6 Yr/54 M)

*Lackey (15.25)

*Matsuzaka (10 M)

Bullpen

Weiland/Tazawa/Fill-in (400 K)

Doubront (400 K)

Morales (400 K)

Jenks (6 M)

Wheeler (1.5 M)

Aardsma (2 Yr/7 M – 1M BO)

Bard ( 1.5 M)

Total Payroll Approximately 166 M
    Contracts Coming Off in 2013
    Jenks (6)
    Matsuzaka (10)
    Youkilis (12 - (Option for 13M in '13))
    Scutaro (6)

Offer arbitration to Ortiz and Papelbon - take the picks.

Beltran is a Type A, but will not be offered arbitration therefore does not require picks to sign. He's older, but a switch hitting outfielder to play right and center for approx 125 games. I've gone over my Darvish rant many times, signing him would be huge. Bard takes over for Papelbon - and Jenks and Aardsma are there to offer additional closing experience.

Bullpen is weak, but investing money in a young starting pitcher is better than an older relief pitcher IMO. Especially when Bard is in the bullpen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Lots of Brits on the forum who spell offense as offence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In Response to Re: OK. It's Time. Put Up or Shut Up. Your Hot Stove Projections Please!:
    Now for the pitching -sox win the rights to yu darvish and sign him to a dice k like deal -buerhle signed to a one year deal to round out the rotation beckett lester buchholz darvish buerhle bullpen -sox sign heath bell to a 2 year deal -sox sign jonathan broxton to 1 year plus an option bell bard broxton jenks hill doubront aceves
    Posted by redsoxpride34
    To get Darvish the sox are gonna run into the perfect storm.The yanks with their mega wallet,the rangers who are about $60 million under the luxury tax,the nats who don't know what money is and the jays who's payroll can not only afford Darvish but Fielder and Pujols as well.All these clubs will be in on Darvish....the perfect storm.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ok so here goes nothin, lets start with the offence:

-ortiz stays for 2 years plus an option
    -sox sign sizemore for 1 year plus an option

batting order:

crawford
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    ellsbury
    youk
    ortiz
    sizemore
    lavarnway/salty (i think larvarnway should start)
    scutaro

Now for the pitching

-sox win the rights to yu darvish and sign him to a dice k like deal
    -buerhle signed to a one year deal to round out the rotation

beckett
    lester
    buchholz
    darvish
    buerhle

bullpen

-sox sign heath bell to a 2 year deal
    -sox sign jonathan broxton to 1 year plus an option

bell
    bard
    broxton
    jenks
    hill
    doubront
    aceves

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

There is a lot of decent FA talent out there...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think Cherington will keep this year's lineup for the most part--re-sign Ortiz and replace Tek with Lavarnway.  Bench will include Aviles and/or Lowrie, a catcher, and an outfielder.  He might trade for a righty rightfielder, but I have no idea who. 

I'm clueless on pitching.  Papelbon will leave for greener pastures.  Three starters are Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz.  After that he could go for two from elsewhere or maybe go with one from inside (Aceves or whoever).  Bullpen is a complete mystery to me.  Bard is still excellent, but Jenks is a bust so far, and guys like Albers were good or horrible. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Too early to make any predictions,I need to see who the new Mgr. is first.  I do agree that Papelbum goes where the money is,Chicago! Bet you didn't see that coming!!!! Papi is on the fence in my books,but I think he stays,today! FA's If I'm right and Paps leaves Nathan is the most logical replacement. Reddick and Kalish both stink! I hope Nava or Linares steal the job away from both of the bums. I would have added Brentz into the mix but he would really have to wow 'em in limited appearences in ST in order to beat out the other two. I don't see any signings of significance. They will keep both Tek and Wakes my logic is simple:They kept Scrubtaro didn't they? Beltran,no thnx! Broxton,no thnx!! Madsen maybe! Like I said it's to early...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

-Sox offer Ortiz 2/$15 and he accepts as he has no other offers -Beckett builds on his excellant year and wins 18 games next year -Ditto Lester -the new manager understands resting his players, and Youk plays 145 games and is back to his top 5 OPS status -Salty hits 20 HR's -Lavarnway starts year is AAA -Sox offer Paplbon most money andhe resigns -Felix D wins 8 games -Reddick wins the RF job in ST -Varitek is back, Wake is not -CC hits leadoff, Ells 3rd, Agon 4th -Sox win 93-98 games, continue sell out streak of Fenway -the beer/chicken jokes finally get old to all, even Chad Finn
    Posted by ronk1

So it would be in the 7 or 8 Crawford starts it off. Left Reliever comes in get Crawford out, walks Pedey, then procedes to get Ellsbury and Gonzalez out. That would happen a couple times a week.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Ellsbury is not young. His career average on homers is the proper measure. API may be in the HGH business, and Pedroia and AGon make it easy for a meatball pull hitter swinging off the back foot. Ellsbury has 3 or 4 years before decline, to cement himself as that 20 plus hr career average that Boomer predicted 4 years ago. Think Pujols, or Drew, instead of Grissom. Boomer, provide your Ellsbury offer extension, so we know now how much you value him. I value Ellsbury at 5 years and 40M. I would offer Ellsbury 6 years and 60M. I would trade Ellsbury now, not wait for new CBA and hope for Type A at end of next 2 years. 
    Posted by hankwilliams

With Boras as his agent, I'm not even trying to extend him. Let's see where he is at in 2 years. Also, I didn't project him to hit 20 HR every year. I said something like he might have a few years at that amount. I would say now that he might well average over 20 for the next 4-6 years and maybe more. I have to honestly say that I never projected him as a plus 30 HR guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

ok so here goes nothin, lets start with the offence: -ortiz stays for 2 years plus an option -sox sign sizemore for 1 year plus an option batting order: crawford pedroia gonzalez ellsbury youk ortiz sizemore lavarnway/salty (i think larvarnway should start) scutaro Now for the pitching -sox win the rights to yu darvish and sign him to a dice k like deal -buerhle signed to a one year deal to round out the rotation beckett lester buchholz darvish buerhle bullpen -sox sign heath bell to a 2 year deal -sox sign jonathan broxton to 1 year plus an option bell bard broxton jenks hill doubront aceves
    Posted by redsoxpride34

No way we have the cash to do all tht stuff. We would be way over the luxury tax limit with the above. I don't see any way we can sign Buerhle to a 1 year deal either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Fair enough, Boomer. Only time will tell if you regret not trading Ellsbury this winter. 2 years and 12 to 14M looks pretty attractive to a lot of teams right now. Red Sox have Crawford, see Inepstein, but they have zilch in RH OF slugging department. If Kemp goes to free agency, remember this winter as the winter he could have been traded for and extended instead of destroying Red Sox pitching as a member of the Ny Yankees for the next half decade or more.

Dodgers will absolutely trade Kemp (1 year 10M to 12M) for Ellsbury (6M to 8M) and one or two more farm hands that are highly rated farm hands blocked with the Red Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts