OK. It's Time. Put Up or Shut Up. Your Hot Stove Projections Please!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Re: OK. It's Time. Put Up or Shut Up. Your Hot Stove Projections Please!

Pap stays with 3/39, Ortiz gets offered arbitration and takes it 1/13.5

GONE: Drew, Albers, Atchison, Bedard, Wheeler, Conor Jackson, Gathright, Darnell McDonald

ALSO GONE: Thanks for the memories Tek and Wake

Sox go cheap on FA pitching:  Bruce Chen (1/5), Rich Harden (1/4), Jon Garland (1/6) and Jeff Francis (1/4)  - that is right, 19 million for one year on these 4 pitchers

Youk, Reddick and Lowrie are all traded

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scoobydew. Show scoobydew's posts

After 2010 FA debacle, Sox look to avoid big deals in 2011.  Front office hopes to get more out of CC and Agon (power) with healthy Youk and Pedey.

1.  CC
    2.  Pedey
    3.  Ellsbury
    4.  Agon
    5.  Youk
    6.  Salty
    7.  Scutaro
    8.  Reddick
    9.  DH - trade with Royals for Billy Butler

Lester - Strong run for CY in 2012
    Beckett - will miss considerable time in the rotation, figure 7-5 record
    Buchholz
    DK
    Miller - breakout year

Bard moves into closer role while Paps signs with Cubs.

Trading deadline finds Sox most active team with money to spend and more sample to evaluate how much change to make.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: OK. It's Time. Put Up or Shut Up. Your Hot Stove Projections Please!:
    [QUOTE]My predictions: Ortiz gets re-signed to a 2 year deal with a club option and buy out for the 3rd year. Papelbon ends up going to Philadelphia Varitek and Wakefield don't come back Sox sign Carlos Beltran for RF Bedard and Buerhle in the starting rotation along with Beckett,Lester and Buchholz Lowrie,Lars Anderson and Reddick get traded this winter Crawford bounces back with a .280 -.290 AVG. and 30+ SBs Saltalamacchia/Lavarnway split catching duties(Salty getting the lion's share) Ellsbury continues to show he's a superstar in the making Gonzalez hits with more power ends up with 38-43 HRs Red Sox cruise into the postseason with 95-100 wins
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Yeah Mojo!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

In Response to Re: OK. It's Time. Put Up or Shut Up. Your Hot Stove Projections Please!:
    [QUOTE]Papi stays Paps goes Starting pitching remains a huge problem due to injuries and inability to obtain   impact starters Bucholz' back remains a problem, he starts less than 15 game all year Lester has another so so year Beckett's performance declines due to age and no Tek behind the plate With Paps gone, Bard has struggles in the closer role Ellsbury continues to rake Crawford's numbers improve, but nowhere near worth his contract A competent, but no star, RH RF is signed Lavarnway is on opening day roster and contributes at C and DH all year Youk gets injured Some combination of Kalish/Reddick/Lowrie get traded The farm system improves marginally Iggy begins to fade as a viable prospect due to lack of ML hitting profile Tek, Wake and JD Caught Looking are all gone We have flashes of greatness, with lots of 5-6-7 game losing streaks The Red Sox finish no better than third place again, but a light at the end of the tunnel starts to appear next off season
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Yeah Sindarin!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]OK here's my shot... Ortiz comes back for one year $12 million, and a team option on the 2nd. Papelbon leaves...its what he's wanted to do all along Sox trade Ellsbury for Kemp straight up - Kemp plays RF Sox sign Sizemore to play CF Sox re-sign Eric Bedard and a free agent pitcher like Chris Young or Brandon Webb or Bruce Chen or Rich Harden Sox thank Wake and Varitek for their services but move on Sox go no where near Darvish No big money free agents for 2012...sorry CJ, Albert, Prince and Mark, no Sox helping to raise the ante on your contracts. Jenks comes back and helps out of the 'pen, pitching for a contract Sox sign Nathan for 2/20. Line-up: Kemp Crawford Agon Pedroia Ortiz Youk Sizemore Scutaro Salt Rotation: Lester Beckett Buchholz Bedard Free agent Bullpen: Nathan Bard Jenks Albers Morales Miller/Doubront free agent - TBD (Capps, Linebrink, Mike Gonzalez, Rauch) Bench Lavarnway Lowrie Aviles Linares/Reddick
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

SoxDog67 does that sheepish snicker he is known for on cartoon network!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]GET RID OF SOME GUYS THAT CLOG UP THE BASES.  MAYBE ORTIZ, TEK, YOUK, WHICH LEAVES US WITH SALTY, LAVARNWAY, A GON. DO NOT THINK ABOUT KEEPING ALL THOSE GUYS. REPLACE THEM WITH AT LEAST AVE SPEED. THAT WILL ELIMINATE 4 BASE HITS TO GET ONE RUN EXIT ARROGANT PAPS I LIKE NATHAN ALSO DUMP LAWRIE, RIDDICK SIGN SIZEMORE FOR 2 YRS @LF WITH KALISH PICK UP 3B RAMAREZ & DUMP YOUK IF PAPI STAYS. TRY CRAWFORD IN RF/ CHANGE BACK IF NECESSARY I LIKE BLOOMQUIST, HAIRSTON, AVILAS, SIZEMORE. TRADE FOR B ARROYO, HE'S GOOD FOR 225 INN DUMP WAKE, HE'S TOAST
    Posted by mrmini[/QUOTE]

Gotta give credit to mrmini!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In order ... * Ortiz is re-signed to a 3-year deal with cheap buyout on the third year. * Sox sign Grady Sizemore * Tony Pena named new manager * Varitek walks, and is signed as a back-up to Matt Wieters in Baltimore * Tim Wakefield retires * Sox land Yu Darvish, and sign him to a 6-year, $58M deal. * Papelbon walks, and is signed by the Phillies * Ellsbury is traded to the Braves for Jurrjjens and Venters
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

SLOMAG NAILS IT!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Picking what a stupid GM will do is a wasted exercise. That said, their are only 2 Red Sox FA with any serious market value. Papelbon and Ortiz.  I've gone into detial on my entire 40 man roster on other threads. As to what Cherry does, we'll see.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]
    Better post your predictions here soon "Hank" or I'll sick my buddy Obama after you!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Susan I agree--I believe if Pap is not in Philly he will be close to home in Texas and I do believe Nolan Ryan and the Sox may be able to work out a trade for Beckett. We do need one of his top three starters in return and a good prospect. 
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Semi honorable mention for MAdMc44!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]I side with Boom ( and did at the time ) on the decision to let Beltre walk and to trade for Gonzalez. It was based on assumptions that Youkilis would slide back over to third without missing a beat, and that Gonzalez would put up big power numbers in Fenway. Now I fear that, as I have said elsewhere, that the Sox are vulnerable defensively on the left side, and that Youk may be hobbled again at that position. I saw Gonzalez play numerous games against the Dodgers. He is a very good ballplayer but not basically a slugger. I do not expect him to hit 30+ homers, and I think that his BA will drop somewhat. ( Boy, would I like to be wrong on this one. ) Beltre found a home in Boston. He's built to last, injuries aside.  I do not agree with the predictions that the Big Three will all have good years. I don't expect them to make anywhere near all of their scheduled starts. Buchholz remains a question mark until he shows that he can pitch. The other two are on probation until they show that they can stay the course. ( Suds or no suds. ) Otherwise, Boston needs at least one good ST and, probably, one more arm in the pen. If Papelbon leaves, which is likely, Bard will be a question mark as closer, unless he's moved into the rotation, which is unlikely. I would not discount the possibility that at some point Aceves will be given a chance to close. Or start. In any event, pitching will be the test of this club. So will catching. Salty began to buckle at roughly the half-way mark. Lavarnway is not ready to assume the position. ( Why not teach him to play the outfield? ) Tek's status is still unresolved.  I doubt that Ellsbury will duplicate his 2011 performance, but odds are that he'll come close and take another step towards super-stardom. ( If he isn't traded. ) Crawford is an enigma. He'll do better but not enough to justify his contract. I'll guess that he comes close to his career norms -- but with my fingers crossed. Pedey will continue to be the guts of this club.  Rightfield remains problematical. Even if Reddick or Kalish proves serviceable, the Sox need a RHed bat for a platoon.  I fear that this position may be a weak spot. Hard to say much at the moment about Scutaro/Lowrie/Aviles. Scutaro will open at SS, but there will probably be juggling along the way. Lowrie might be traded. If Ortiz wants more than two years, I'd let him walk.  In general, we'll be looking at a club that did not crash and burn but blew up in the air.  Hard to say how much difference a new manager will make -- for better or worse. It's easy to say that the players have "something to prove" ( or will play with chips on their shoulders ) but impossible to say how all of that will pan out. The Red Sox are a damaged organization. They do not lie amidst wreckage exactly, but, IMO, big repairs are in order.   
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Expitch has the stars aligned and is ON TARGET!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]2) Papelbon: 60% likely to be gone. To me it could go either way but I'm projecting him as gone. We need a top closer in Boston. He would be worth $1 million per save in the playoffs and we do expect to be in the playoffs right! Papelbon is in his prime and clutch. Fearless! Do we really want Bard closing out game 7 for us? Papelbon market is dubious beyond 3 years. His base is quite clear at around 13 to 15M per year. So it boils down to market for years. The market for closers is actually quite crowded. Papelbon has entire MLB market, unlike Ortiz. 3 year market is the question. That market is going to be tiny, if at all, because of the huge risk. Angels are likely out because of past approach (K-Rod was correct move). Yankees are out. Rangers and Phillies will have high interest, but they also will have other supply. Becasue of the baseball nepotism factor and huge number of GM idiots, impossible to predict market for Papelbon. Too many variables. But, easy to value Papelbon to the Red Sox. Reality is the Red Sox need quality starting pitching more than a closer. But the reality is that their are no proven value quality starting pitchers on this market. But their will be beyond 2012. Papelbon value ends beyond 2 years and 26M plus 4M incentives max. Offer Papelbon 2 years and 28M plus 2M per year innings related incentives. Do not offer a 3rd year. Market may end up at 3 years, but current supply means it might not. I'd say Papelbon finds an Inepstein to offer 3 years, if I had to make a wild guess. If so, take whatever new CBA provides for compensation and save the money for 2012 and 2013 and 2014 needs. At the same time, is any closer worth that much? We do have several options already at closer, Bard, Aceves ( my favorite ) and yes even Jenks if he comes back well ). Unfortunately, Papelbon is also a fly ball pitcher whose results probably degrade some going forward in Fenway. We have lots of cheaper, external closer options available like KRod, Broxton, Bell, Nathan and others if I remember correctly. No way he accepts arbitration. I'm taking the picks. Boomerangs: Papelbon is probably looking at 3 years / $40 mil or maybe even 4 years from some team. He is a big addition for any team. I sincerely wish we could keep him just as a fan but the best GM decision is to let him go. That guy is a winner though. If we keep any of these guys, I hope it's Papelbon.

I think we will score this one at Boomerangs = 1, Softy = 0

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]C Saltalamacchia (1 M) Varitek (1 M) Lavarnway (400 K) 1B Gonzalez (21 M) 2B Pedroia (8 M) 3B Youkilis (12 M) SS Scutaro (6 M) IF Lowrie(1 M) Aviles (1 M) LF Crawford (19.5) CF Ellsbury (6-8 M?) RF Reddick (400 K) C. Beltran (2 Yr/24 M-2.5M BO) Lineup vs RHP Ellsbury Crawford Pedroia Gonzalez Youk Beltran Lavarnway (DH) Saltalamacchia Scutaro Lineup vs LHP Ellsbury Pedroia Gonzalez Youk Beltran Crawford Lavarnway (DH) Saltalamacchia Scutaro Rotation Beckett (15.75 M) Lester (7.625 M) Buchholz (3.5 M) Aceves (1 M) Darvish (55, 555,556 Posting Fee- 6 Yr/54 M) *Lackey (15.25) *Matsuzaka (10 M) Bullpen Weiland/Tazawa/Fill-in (400 K) Doubront (400 K) Morales (400 K) Jenks (6 M) Wheeler (1.5 M) Aardsma (2 Yr/7 M – 1M BO) Bard ( 1.5 M) Total Payroll Approximately 166 M Contracts Coming Off in 2013 Jenks (6) Matsuzaka (10) Youkilis (12 - (Option for 13M in '13)) Scutaro (6) Offer arbitration to Ortiz and Papelbon - take the picks. Beltran is a Type A, but will not be offered arbitration therefore does not require picks to sign. He's older, but a switch hitting outfielder to play right and center for approx 125 games. I've gone over my Darvish rant many times, signing him would be huge. Bard takes over for Papelbon - and Jenks and Aardsma are there to offer additional closing experience. Bullpen is weak, but investing money in a young starting pitcher is better than an older relief pitcher IMO. Especially when Bard is in the bullpen.
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

Titletown11 is currently doing the back stroke in the Carribean, celebrating his big win in the Papelbon sweepstakes!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]ok so here goes nothin, lets start with the offence: -ortiz stays for 2 years plus an option -sox sign sizemore for 1 year plus an option batting order: crawford pedroia gonzalez ellsbury youk ortiz sizemore lavarnway/salty (i think larvarnway should start) scutaro Now for the pitching -sox win the rights to yu darvish and sign him to a dice k like deal -buerhle signed to a one year deal to round out the rotation beckett lester buchholz darvish buerhle bullpen -sox sign heath bell to a 2 year deal -sox sign jonathan broxton to 1 year plus an option bell bard broxton jenks hill doubront aceves
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Redsoxpride34 gives Papelbon the word up but will he keep Big Papi in the fold!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Paps and Papi are bye-bye so are Wake and Tek Youk and Lavanway share dh and youk plays 3rd occasional 1st and L. catches more and more as the season progresses Beltran in right Lowrie and Reddick get traded Dice K sparkles in last 2 months of the season Maddox manages Jake and CC batting one and two terroize the league Nathan closes eventually Bedard #4 stays healthy all year wins 16 games
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

Soxnewmex is really "El Guapo" in disguise. He has the inside line!

And watch out Burrito! He's looking for you!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OK. It's Time. Put Up or Shut Up. Your Hot Stove Projections Please! : Expitch has the stars aligned and is ON TARGET!
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]
    Burrito will be disappointed. You and I are now 2 for 2 in agreement. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ratts!  I popped popcorn and poured a fountain Pepsi for nothing! Boring.  Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Ratts!  I popped popcorn and poured a fountain Pepsi for nothing! Boring.  
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    Try Dr. Pepper. It has a more interesting taste -- especially with a jigger of Jack Daniels. 
    Don't stay up waiting for another scrap. You've just seen another proof that the best way to end a fight is to seek common ground honestly, and not disagree as the residue of a feud. 
    Besides, Boom got smarter in the meantime. See, now I can even tease him. I think. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Boomer kudo's on the Pap prediction!

The Sox will be back now that 11/11/11 is over. I never thought we would make a move.

I saw a Tek sighting that Camden Yards may be a landing spot--sounds good.

I see a trade to bring Brandon League to set up for the "Bard of Beantown." I would like to see the Sox sweeten the deal and bring Maine's Charlie F. back to New England where he belongs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

dog. think you have the best plans I read on here. Particularly like the Kemp/Ells/ Size(gamble) option.Only problem is keeping Bedard, if the small sample we saw is what we can expectResponse to Re: OK. It's Time. Put Up or Shut Up. Your Hot Stove Projections Please!:
    [QUOTE]OK here's my shot... Ortiz comes back for one year $12 million, and a team option on the 2nd. Papelbon leaves...its what he's wanted to do all along Sox trade Ellsbury for Kemp straight up - Kemp plays RF Sox sign Sizemore to play CF Sox re-sign Eric Bedard and a free agent pitcher like Chris Young or Brandon Webb or Bruce Chen or Rich Harden Sox thank Wake and Varitek for their services but move on Sox go no where near Darvish No big money free agents for 2012...sorry CJ, Albert, Prince and Mark, no Sox helping to raise the ante on your contracts. Jenks comes back and helps out of the 'pen, pitching for a contract Sox sign Nathan for 2/20. Line-up: Kemp Crawford Agon Pedroia Ortiz Youk Sizemore Scutaro Salt Rotation: Lester Beckett Buchholz Bedard Free agent Bullpen: Nathan Bard Jenks Albers Morales Miller/Doubront free agent - TBD (Capps, Linebrink, Mike Gonzalez, Rauch) Bench Lavarnway Lowrie Aviles Linares/Reddick
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Do not offer a 3rd year. Market may end up at 3 years, but current supply means it might not. I'd say Papelbon finds an Inepstein to offer 3 years, if I had to make a wild guess. If so, take whatever new CBA provides for compensation and save the money for 2012 and 2013 and 2014 needs. At the same time, is any closer worth that much? We do have several options already at closer, Bard, Aceves ( my favorite ) and yes even Jenks if he comes back well ). Unfortunately, Papelbon is also a fly ball pitcher whose results probably degrade some going forward in Fenway. We have lots of cheaper, external closer options available like KRod, Broxton, Bell, Nathan and others if I remember correctly. No way he accepts arbitration. I'm taking the picks. Boomerangs: Papelbon is probably looking at 3 years / $40 mil or maybe even 4 years from some team. He is a big addition for any team. I sincerely wish we could keep him just as a fan but the best GM decision is to let him go. That guy is a winner though. If we keep any of these guys, I hope it's Papelbon.

I score this hank williams 1 and Boomer 1/2. Papelbon beyond 2 years was not a value to Red Sox, and clearly there was a likely market of more than 2 years so the Red Sox clearly did the correct thing. The fact that the Philllies did 4 years and were Papelbon's Inepstein was patently obvious. The 4th year was Crawford like idiocy, beyond comprehension. 

Philies made big spash in 2011 FA market. Was a big failure for 2011. It is not how much, it is age, who and how much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Do not offer a 3rd year. Market may end up at 3 years, but current supply means it might not. I'd say Papelbon finds an Inepstein to offer 3 years, if I had to make a wild guess . If so, take whatever new CBA provides for compensation and save the money for 2012 and 2013 and 2014 needs. At the same time, is any closer worth that much? We do have several options already at closer, Bard, Aceves ( my favorite ) and yes even Jenks if he comes back well ). Unfortunately, Papelbon is also a fly ball pitcher whose results probably degrade some going forward in Fenway. We have lots of cheaper, external closer options available like KRod, Broxton, Bell, Nathan and others if I remember correctly. No way he accepts arbitration. I'm taking the picks. Boomerangs: Papelbon is probably looking at 3 years / $40 mil or maybe even 4 years from some team. He is a big addition for any team. I sincerely wish we could keep him just as a fan but the best GM decision is to let him go. That guy is a winner though. If we keep any of these guys, I hope it's Papelbon. I score this hank williams 1 and Boomer 1/2. Papelbon beyond 2 years was not a value to Red Sox, and clearly there was a likely market of more than 2 years so the Red Sox clearly did the correct thing. The fact that the Philllies did 4 years and were Papelbon's Inepstein was patently obvious. The 4th year was Crawford like idiocy, beyond comprehension.  Philies made big spash in 2011 FA market. Was a big failure for 2011. It is not how much, it is age, who and how much.

I, unlike you, didn't predict both options so you could point to it later and say "See, I predicted it". It was a close decision to me but I put the 60% figure on it and I basically nailed the money. Even came close to calling the years when you were fiddling around thinking 2 years for God's sake. I did read that you didn't want to predict the market and just wanted to focus on what the Sox should or would do in your opinion. I'll give you credit for that but so far Softy, it is clearly Boom = 1, Softy = 0. 

Addendum: This poll is subject to arbitration in the court of public opinion!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Sit back and watch Larry Lucchino do something dumb and wilt under the demands of Ortiz before he starts to bellyache and groan about how much he has left at the age of 36.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I'm not certain that Cherington is an ideal fit for us and if he is Lucchino's guy I'm even less convinced. The sudden departure of Theo and Tito put the entire organization in turmoil. A lot of quality options just are not available. We may be in for a ride in the next couple years. It will be very interesting to see what they do this winter.

Philly is agressively trying to get better. What will we be doing, now that our core is positioned well to win it all? Set back and wait? Be cautious? Do no big deals at all?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

So long as Lucky Lucciani stays in power the GM will be but a puppet... this is CORPORATE SOX.. sad but true.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Even came close to calling the years when you were fiddling around thinking 2 years for God's sake.

My 2 year offer was not what I expected the market to be, and I said so. I said not to go more than 2 years. Nice to see Cherry got one right. I don't fiddle around on anything. Papelbon finding more than 2 years wasn't news or worthy of a back pat. You get a zero.