OK, Losers, Go on the Record on whether you support the market offers for Gomes, Napoli and Shane and D. Ross

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Re: OK, Losers, Go on the Record on whether you support the market offers for Gomes, Napoli and Shane and D. Ross

Softy...Just a small psychiatric social worker tip...I had to go to school for years to learn this of course.  Even if your ego is so empowered and sturdy that you do not worry about "winning a popularity contest on the forum", I would not address everyone with the term "losers". After all, that includes your fellow right-wingers on here.  You might even have insulted a member of the one percent, slumming on a Saturday evening and reading these posts...Perish the thought!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

Re: OK, Losers, Go on the Record on whether you support the market offers for Gomes, Napoli and Shane and D. Ross

I basically agree with you, Softy. It sounds like we overpaid for all of them. I'm okay with the Napoli signing -- at least when compared to the Victorino/Gomes signings, which are just baffling, in my opinion. I guess we need some power at first base, he might hit thirty home runs in Fenway, hopefully get his average up a little bit. Or one could argue he'll put up similar numbers to Salty for su cking it up at first base, just as Salty could for a fraction of the price (with Ross/Lavarnway doing most of the catching?).

Damn. This was the one signing I didn't completely hate, now I'm talking myself out of that already.

Could have signed Gomes for half of what we did, stuck Kalish in right field and saved forty million for what would probably be similar numbers to what Victorino's done the last few years. I just don't get what the front office is doing, signing a bunch of mediocre veterans past their prime for what is undoubtedly an amount of money higher than they're expecting from anyone else. It just seems like more of the same mistakes that's brought us to our current state. The games have yet to be played, but I'm kind of rolling my eyes at our team and am somewhat embarrassed to be a Sox fan right now. I don't see the logic of these moves at all.

Oh right... Ross... I don't know much about him. I mean... a backup catcher for three million a year? Is that normal? I guess most people in baseball say it was a solid signing, so I'll hope for that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I think the FO has done a good job so far.  All of these signings, Gomes, Napoli, Shane, and Ross are overpays, but IMO, a necessary evil of free agency.  Papi is being overpaid as well. 

As many have mentioned though, they are overpaying more in dollars on shorter term contracts, which is the way it should be done.  They can afford the money. 

The Sox are building a team that can contend next year, and at the same time they are keeping their financial flexibility for future moves and they are keeping their prospects to build the farm.

I approve.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the FO has done a good job so far.  All of these signings, Gomes, Napoli, Shane, and Ross are overpays, but IMO, a necessary evil of free agency.  Papi is being overpaid as well. 

As many have mentioned though, they are overpaying more in dollars on shorter term contracts, which is the way it should be done.  They can afford the money. 

The Sox are building a team that can contend next year, and at the same time they are keeping their financial flexibility for future moves and they are keeping their prospects to build the farm.

I approve.

[/QUOTE]

exactly...i like it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I condemn the market offer to Shane (See Pagan and Pods and R. Johnson and G. Sizemore and Kalish) Value F-  Fit C+  (This is pathetic, even though I"m numb in the fallout of the Crawford incompetence, et al. I would have scoffed at this guy and stated, before the fact, that this guy was a one year 3M platoon profile)

I would not sign Napoli beyond 2 and base 10 and do not approve the 3 and base 13 market offer, but I can live with the signing because he is a fit and is only base 3 and term 1 over pay of 19M over 3 years or 6M a year overpay. That's quite good for the incompetent Cherry (See 2 non-top 6 ranked Red Sox prospects for VMart or 2M for one year and an option on Loney and bench profile Gomez) Value D  Fit B+  (I had him as option 2, but not at that price. I would not have acquired him)

I would not have gone beyond one year and base 3 for Gomes, and I don't approve the market offer of based 5 and 2 years. I can live with the signing because he is a fit and is only base 2 and term 1 over pay of 7M over 2 years or 3.5M a year overpay. That's quite good for the incompetent Cherry (See R. Johnson and detailed trade pool to insure acquisition of J. Upton)  Value C-    Fit B-  (I would not have acquired him)

D. Ross, nearly a double overpay, I would not have paid more than 3M and one year that includes an option and player opt out of year 2, but I can live with the signing because he is a fit and is only base .6 and term 1 over pay of 1.5 M over 2 years or 6M a year overpay. That's great for the incompetent Cherry (I would have acquired him for less)  Value D+  Fit B+

Now, all you posters, don't wait until the season is over. State whether you applaud or approve these contract offers, or whether you are a current cheerleader of these market offers.

It's very iimportant to crawl out from under your rocks before the season is well underway and/or over.

[/QUOTE]

i don't care what you think...so it does not matter what you say...you are wrong most of the time anyway...but i know you like to cry alot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

I approve.

[/QUOTE]

What she said.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In Order Of Approval

#1) Ross - This was a position that needed an upgrade offensively and defensively. Defensively, Ross grades out as one of the game's best - behind Y. Molina. Offensively, he dominates lefties and is solid against righties. His only downside is that he is too old to start every game. The Sox already said he would start more than th average backup - so I expect 75 games - 0.275/0.345/0.785/8HR/45RBI

#2) Napoli - He did not acquire a draft pick to secure his services and possesses a great upside for the next three years. I think his defense will surprise fans this season and his offense will prove this deal to be a wise one. He will be a better choice than Adam LaRoche when the draft pick is considered. Expect 0.270/0.365/0.845/32HR/95RBI.

#3) Uehara - Nothing to complain about with performance. I just hope he stays healthy. Sox now possess 2 of top 3 K-BB ratio relievers from last season (Uehara/Tazawa)

#4) Victorino - Admittedly; this contract has the potential to flop big time. 3/39 was an over-commitment by everyone's estimation. But SV has been a solid player throughout his career and could be a decent contributor on the bright side. Switch hitting, great defense, good arm, and good speed on the base paths are not traits to be overlooked when building a team. I think SV will be okay next season going 0.270/0.335/0.750/14HR/70RBI/30STL from the #7 spot in the lineup.

#5) Gomes - Absolutely no reason to give this man a 2 year commitment at an annual salary 500% greater than the previous year. His presence spells the end of Cody Ross in Boston. Good "
    team player" by all accounts, but can't hit righties or play defense. If he was signed for 1/2M I would not mind, but the over-commitment blinds me from his value.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Once again, you're ignoring the market.

Pagan got $11.25 and Vic got $13M, but for one less year.  The aging curve is slightly in our favor.  In terms of price, duration, and age, the two contracts are almost identical.  Over the past three years, here are the numbers

• Player A-.281/.344/.415/.749 WAR 11.1/3
    • Player B-.264/.334/.432/.766 WAR 13.0/3

IRT to Ross, Soto got 2.5M.  Ross is better.  You can say to not sign either, but then you have to look for another choice.

I'm fine with all four signings.  For anyone not liking the Victorino signing, we cn make an easy wager.  I'll take victorino, and you can have either Pagan or Hunter.  Whoever has the highest OPS wins.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Question remains could they have done better with the money they spent?.  Clearly players of Victorino's and Gomes abilities. might have been aquirred for less money. In turn that saved money would have been sayed to sign a top quality FA   Pretty simple why the question is being raised don't ya think?

[/QUOTE]

What top quality FA would that be? Top quality FAs seem to be in pretty short supply this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Once again, you're ignoring the market.

Pagan got $11.25 and Vic got $13M, but for one less year.  The aging curve is slightly in our favor.  In terms of price, duration, and age, the two contracts are almost identical.  Over the past three years, here are the numbers

• Player A-.281/.344/.415/.749 WAR 11.1/3
    • Player B-.264/.334/.432/.766 WAR 13.0/3

IRT to Ross, Soto got 2.5M.  Ross is better.  You can say to not sign either, but then you have to look for another choice.

I'm fine with all four signings.  For anyone not liking the Victorino signing, we cn make an easy wager.  I'll take victorino, and you can have either Pagan or Hunter.  Whoever has the highest OPS wins.

[/QUOTE]

i'll put my money with you on that one...i love the victorino signning.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Pagan got $11.25 and Vic got $13M, but for one less year

Joe,"one extra year" makes old Shane's contract an out of line joke. That' you for making my point.

To those who staed their approval or disapporoval, you are to be appluaded for letting all know where you stand before taking wind measurements.

For those who are staying under a slimy PC rock, you have earned the "losers" name.

[/QUOTE]

In English, please.  The Vic contract and pagan contract are about identical.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Not sure Softlaw has shown himself to be qualified to comment on the market, given that his offer to Guthrie missed by nearly all $25mill guthrie received.

However, these deals are a bit lofty, but at least all were short in length.   Sure, I can go on record with that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good deal for what they needed. Whoever complains about overpaying needs to realize thats what you do in FA. Overpay. Then add on the fact that the Sox wanted them to take 1 less year. So the price goes up even more.

These moves cover them until some kids on the farm are developed and also sets a much better clubhouse atmosphere when they arrive. Good moves and still plenty of $$$ left.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to GreenPartyCelt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Softy...Just a small psychiatric social worker tip...I had to go to school for years to learn this of course.  Even if your ego is so empowered and sturdy that you do not worry about "winning a popularity contest on the forum", I would not address everyone with the term "losers". After all, that includes your fellow right-wingers on here.  You might even have insulted a member of the one percent, slumming on a Saturday evening and reading these posts...Perish the thought!

[/QUOTE]

The biggest "loser" of all gave his opinions in the first post. The guy has been wrong for 398 straight positions... and counting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I approve.

[/QUOTE]

exactly...i like it.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. At least all are 3 yrs or less. The Victorino was the worst of the offer/signings thus far in my opinion.  I also believe that Papi is being grossly overpaid as well. But in the end, I think a few of these signings will surprise us naysayers. I am happy that the SOX don't seem intersted in Hamilton. That would be a huge overpay for another soon to be overpaid athlete with baggage.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I considered not responding to this because of the inference that the OP's co-posters are losers, however, knowing that it is the pot calling the kettle black I decided to respond.

Anyways, I agree with anyone who says that the Sox are overpaying for any of their free agent acquisitions...but the trade off they're getting by overpaying is a shorter term commitment and a couple of the better names, at positions of need, on the market this offseason, plus each player is considered a good clubhouse influence.

Because of the losing the last year plus, the Sox are not the draw they once were, and it is obvious that a big reason for the Sox slide existed in the character of some of their top paid players, in that their influence infected the entire team and a new chemistry is definitely needed here. In that respect, Cherington has done well...hopefully these guys can play too.

I am willing to give the new guys a chance to show us what they got...it means nothing how much these guys are paid, we'd be paying the highest ticket prices whether they were signed or not.

Guess what people...it is going to be even more difficult to get a top pitcher in free agency without overpaying even more...why??...because 1) the team is projected to finish 5th in the AL East right now, 2) they play in the AL East and 3) they play in Fenway Park.

So who is the best starting pitcher on the market that would NOT be intimidated by the 3 factors I listed above, because that is the guy the Sox should be targeting for their open rotation spot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

[QUOTE]

Pagan got $11.25 and Vic got $13M, but for one less year

Joe,"one extra year" makes old Shane's contract an out of line joke. That' you for making my point.

To those who staed their approval or disapporoval, you are to be appluaded for letting all know where you stand before taking wind measurements.

For those who are staying under a slimy PC rock, you have earned the "losers" name.

[/QUOTE]

Your post has the maturity of a 12yr old.....so you want to have it on record that I told you so?? This forum is about being a fan and not who is right or wrong.... the loser here is you...