OLBERMAN: WAS that a ROAST or a TOAST to Mariano by the Sox?..the worse sendoff ever.. very crass and self-promoting!" agree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: OLBERMAN: WAS that a ROAST or a TOAST to Mariano by the Sox?..the worse sendoff ever.. very crass and self-promoting!

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to garyhow's comment:

Living here in CT most friends are Yankee fans. Received 2 txts from them stating how classy RS organization was and what a great farewell team gave to MO. Olberman is an idiot!

Totally, gary.  This isn't the Nobel Peace Prize. It's a well intentioned farewell, to baseball great, who's retiring. You'd think they just threw a gold watch at him and said adios. Tongue Out

If the RS didn't think he could handle it, they wouldn't have done it. He knows they lost fair and square. Recall 2005 ceremony.

PS He might be the only NYY Lucchino would give a hug to.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: OLBERMAN: WAS that a ROAST or a TOAST to Mariano by the Sox?..the worse sendoff ever.. very crass and self-promoting!

The point of bringing up '04 was to show how he handled a rare failure. He was a fantastic sport on Opening Day in '05, which shows the class of the man.

Two things I'd have liked to have seen: One, it would have been good if Ortiz and Pedroia had spoken. Especially Ortiz, but I guess they'd have needed a seven-second delay.

Two, as mrmojo (I think) said on another thread, how cool would it have been to brought in Metallica to play "Enter Sandman?"

Olberman is a drag, a well known drag.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Olberman has an ego the size of Manhattan, maybe larger. He obviously loves to hear himself talk and I would guess thinks he's always right about every issue. No wonder he keeps on getting cancelled. He won't last on ESPN this time either. 

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view.

Hetch   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

OLBERMAN was an A hole, is an A Hole, and will ALWAYS be an A Hole!

Not to mention, irrelevant.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

he's got no cred

guess who's  the new ' mr oberman' of the board

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Seemed to go well, though the gifts were uninspired and there were too many of them (could have done without the pitching rubber, for sure).  The Twins gift of a rocking chair made out of broken bats was inspired and fun. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

guess who's  the new ' mr oberman' of the board

I'll let you worry about that...

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

[QUOTE]

must admit to not seeing the whole thing for i wasnt there and dont think it was ive but from what i read they really pushed in 2004 and pushed up the HOF stock of pedy and ortiz. i usually like keith but methinks his yankee fandom clouds him here and that he's taking up his frustrations with us right about now. still with the platform of his national show and access to 100k viewers that could put us in a bad national light. how can we compete with that kind of spin. his whole show seemed to have been dedicated to just us and our lack of tact with dittohead guests! 

he also scorned the gifts given incl more reminders of 2004 and a chair from 1934 spray painted with #42, a cheap rubber anyone can get. he even went to ebay to show how cheap and unoriginal our gifts actually were. he later took a shot at the crappy art by a 6 yo (lester's kid)... to him, they were 3 jabro gifts! interesting how noone mentioned the donation to Mo's charity in panama. methinks that was around 6 figures!

btw, for a-fraud's ceremony day, we should bring back tek and arroyo for old times sake and have some syringes on set and perhaps a donkey!

someone did(andrewmitch i think) wondered about the size of the check

[/QUOTE]

Yes, my guess is $100K but I wouldn't be surprised if it were more

that alone shows that it was a sincere send off

don't get the ceremony confused w/ the ESPN motauge in between innings - those clips were over the top and not sponsored by the Sox (eg why show the Pedro/Zimmer clip?)

btw, Eck has to be reminded every day about Gibbie - and he was probably better than Rivera.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

The point of bringing up '04 was to show how he handled a rare failure. He was a fantastic sport on Opening Day in '05, which shows the class of the man.

Two things I'd have liked to have seen: One, it would have been good if Ortiz and Pedroia had spoken. Especially Ortiz, but I guess they'd have needed a seven-second delay.

Two, as mrmojo (I think) said on another thread, how cool would it have been to brought in Metallica to play "Enter Sandman?"

Olberman is a drag, a well known drag.

I mentioned that, and also said I heard a rumor of metallica actually playing it Live for Mo's last reg season Home game.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

must admit to not seeing the whole thing for i wasnt there and dont think it was ive but from what i read they really pushed in 2004 and pushed up the HOF stock of pedy and ortiz. i usually like keith but methinks his yankee fandom clouds him here and that he's taking up his frustrations with us right about now. still with the platform of his national show and access to 100k viewers that could put us in a bad national light. how can we compete with that kind of spin. his whole show seemed to have been dedicated to just us and our lack of tact with dittohead guests! 

he also scorned the gifts given incl more reminders of 2004 and a chair from 1934 spray painted with #42, a cheap rubber anyone can get. he even went to ebay to show how cheap and unoriginal our gifts actually were. he later took a shot at the crappy art by a 6 yo (lester's kid)... to him, they were 3 jabro gifts! interesting how noone mentioned the donation to Mo's charity in panama. methinks that was around 6 figures!

btw, for a-fraud's ceremony day, we should bring back tek and arroyo for old times sake and have some syringes on set and perhaps a donkey!

someone did(andrewmitch i think) wondered about the size of the check

Yes, my guess is $100K but I wouldn't be surprised if it were more

that alone shows that it was a sincere send off(agree)

don't get the ceremony confused w/ the ESPN motauge in between innings - those clips were over the top and not sponsored by the Sox (eg why show the Pedro/Zimmer clip?)

btw, Eck has to be reminded every day about Gibbie - and he was probably better than Rivera.....

well, idk about that, but Eck was pretty auto on most nights...also not really a fair comp...Mo's closed 4 years longer(16) than Eck did (12)....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Living here in CT most friends are Yankee fans. Received 2 txts from them stating how classy RS organization was and what a great farewell team gave to MO. Olberman is an idiot!

Totally, gary.  This isn't the Nobel Peace Prize. It's a well intentioned farewell, to baseball great, who's retiring. You'd think they just threw a gold watch at him and said adios. Tongue Out

If the RS didn't think he could handle it, they wouldn't have done it. He knows they lost fair and square. Recall 2005 ceremony.

Olberman is an alum of Bristol Clown College...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

was anyone on here actually at the game?  it would be interesting to know what they actually showed on the screen at the Fens during the Ceremony.  as stated, the ESPN broadcast showed a bunch of yankee/sox clips including platehead getting rolled.  i doubt that was shown at the park.

btw - you cannot compare eck & mo. 

eck's world series blown save was in a game 1.

i would say mo is more comparable to mitch williams.  mitch williams blown save in the world series was in game 6 and gave toronto the series.

Mo's WS BS was one step better.  a blown save in the 9th inning of a game 7 of the World Series.  it doesnt get any better than that.  that has to be the best worst walkoff ever.

btw - i'm sure everyone on here knows but it's worth stating......that is what the term "walkoff" refers to.  the pitcher/defense "walking off" the field after losing the game.

For my good pal Zac:

happy trails mo.  wherever life takes you remember 2 things:

1.  never, ever, ever get into a plane flown by a bronx bomber

2.  dont let your surviving neices and nephews swim in your pool unattended.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

Olberman is an alum of Bristol Clown College...

[/QUOTE]

Heeeey! B.C.C. is an amazing establishment. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

was anyone on here actually at the game?  it would be interesting to know what they actually showed on the screen at the Fens during the Ceremony.  as stated, the ESPN broadcast showed a bunch of yankee/sox clips including platehead getting rolled.  i doubt that was shown at the park.

i would say mo is more comparable to mitch williams.  mitch williams blown save in the world series was in game 6 and gave toronto the series.

Mo's WS BS was one step better.  a blown save in the 9th inning of a game 7 of the World Series.  it doesnt get any better than that.  that has to be the best worst walkoff ever.

btw - i'm sure everyone on here knows but it's worth stating......that is what the term "walkoff" refers to.  the pitcher/defense "walking off" the field after losing the game.

For my good pal Zac:

Before the Red Sox swept away the Yankees with a 9-2 win Sunday, they honored Rivera with a pregame ceremony on the Fenway Park infield. The entire team came onto the field as Rivera was showered with gifts and shown a video in which Kevin Millar, Dave Roberts and Bill Mueller jokingly thanked the Yankees closer for blowing Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?c_id=bos&content_id=30645121&partnerId=as_mlb_20130916_11964084

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Mo was so upset about the ceremony that he had a wide grin on his face throughout, signed countless autographs, wrote a "goodbye" message on the Visitors' Bullpen wall, hobnobbed with the fans after the game, and raised his cap to the fans in thanks. As the stands began to empty , he stood alone on the diamond, gazing around Fenway, then slowly walked off the field for the last time. Olberman, your a dunce!!   

Life is what happens while were busy making other plans.

John lennon

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

For my good pal Zac:

stop mr oberman

U R going to get me in more trouble with kingface & others

just one quick question

is it better to let neices and nephews swim in your pool unattended

or have remys son  pedroias  brother watch them ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Mo is a good guy and of course was going to be gracious no matter what he was given - the criticism was valid and I said it yesterday - the gifts were lame and worse, it was all about Boston and not Mo's greatness ( the best of the lot was the picture - that was in good humor but still not meaningful to him as a player)....

As always - 100% correct!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

For my good pal Zac:

stop mr oberman

just one quick question

I guess we can ignore your "classy, not classy" labels for others, from now on.

And spare me the "he started it" line.

You're not 12.

Or, maybe you are...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I guess we can ignore your "classy, not classy" labels for others, from now on.

You're not 12.

Or, maybe you are...

so I'll put you down as in favor of leaving them unattended

how bout the line

'what about him'

why not call us both out for showing a lack of class

he's talking about innocent people  who died

I mentioned a couple of creeps

hmmm what does that say about you

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

For my good pal Zac:

Pretty consistent with most of your other posts; fits the avatar too; however, she's not young enough.

BTW, 99.99% of the baseball world thinks MO is the best reliever ever, including Eck. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

For my good pal Zac:

stop mr oberman

just one quick question

You and I are good my friend....no worries at all.  After reading Slashes odd ramble about Bronx Bombers.......well....I got nothin'!!  (other than shaking my head)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Hyperbole from keith Olberman?  Please!!!  No way......

Well......  OK, are you talking about the same Keith Olberman who was fired from ESPN, & more recently from the 'moderate' MSNBC???  ;)

I guess he may have gone a wee bit too far with his comments on Hillary during the 08 primaries?????  

YA THINK?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBXD2zizIY

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I used to watch Olbermann when he was a sportscaster in LA.  Horrendous anti-Red Sox bias.  I wrote him a letter about it that it bothered me so much.  I have always thought that he was a jerk.  But I must say that featuring the '04 blown save as part of the tribute to Mo was in poor taste IMO.  I thought than other than that it was a nice and fitting tribute to Mo, though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

[/QUOTE]

Fact of the matter is that mo has a special place in redsox history, I don't think it was tactless as much as an ode to that fact. If you watched the whole thing you would have noted that although they focused on the blown save, it was really about the next year when mo tipped his cap to the fenway faithful when the redsox got their rings in 2005. Because that's what it all came down to and it was perfect moment that displayed the class that mo is. No disrespect in fact nothing but the opposite.

[/QUOTE]
    I doubt that most posters here would appreciate having their noses rubbed in their screw-ups at their retirement party.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Maybe they could feature Uehara's blown save tonight if he ever receives a tribute.  Would that be fitting after the season he's had?

Sections
Shortcuts