Old friend Bill Hall released by Astros

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Old friend Bill Hall released by Astros

From MLBTraderumors.com:

The Astros announced that they intend to give Bill Hall his unconditional release. They asked for release waivers on Hall and activated infielder Jason Bourgeois from the 15-day disabled list in a related move.

The transaction will take effect Monday and if no team claims Hall by Wednesday, he’ll become a free agent and will be able to sign with any team. Last offseason, Hall signed a one-year, $3MM deal that included a $4MM mutual option ($250K buyout) for 2012. The 31-year-old posted a .224/.272/.240 line in 158 plate appearances as Houston's second baseman this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Old friend Bill Hall released by Astros

Great..now softy will be pulling for Theo to sign him and get rid of Jed..I mean, after all...its Bill FREAKIN" Hall!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Old friend Bill Hall released by Astros:
    [QUOTE]Great..now softy will be pulling for Theo to sign him and get rid of Jed..I mean, after all...its Bill FREAKIN" Hall!!!!
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

No, based on recent posts Softy's take would be that Hall would never consider playing for the Sox again after the horrible treatment he received from the team and the fans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

In Response to Old friend Bill Hall released by Astros:
    [QUOTE]From MLBTraderumors.com: The Astros announced that they intend to give Bill Hall his unconditional release. They asked for release waivers on Hall and activated infielder Jason Bourgeois from the 15-day disabled list in a related move. The transaction will take effect Monday and if no team claims Hall by Wednesday, he’ll become a free agent and will be able to sign with any team. Last offseason, Hall signed a one-year, $3MM deal that included a $4MM mutual option ($250K buyout) for 2012. The 31-year-old posted a .224/.272/.240 line in 158 plate appearances as Houston's second baseman this year.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

No surprise here!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Old friend Bill Hall released by Astros : No, based on recent posts Softy's take would be that Hall would never consider playing for the Sox again after the horrible treatment he received from the team and the fans.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Maybe if they offered him a contract like Gonzo's and apologized for his brutal mistreatment, he would consider it.

He could even help out of the bullpen. The guy is a six tool player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Good utility player but I'm not surprised that he didn't pan out as a starter

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

YES lets bring him back then we can have TWO utility infielders, Lowrie and Hall.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]Good utility player but I'm not surprised that he didn't pan out as a starter
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

I've never seen anyone deny that he did a good job in his role with the sox last year, despite what softy says.

He had a chance to try and prove he could be a starter, and it didn't pan out for him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont remember Hall being bashed by sox fans. In fact, most of the posts i read were wishing him well and thanking him for a good, and unexpected job here in Boston..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I recall the same....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'd take him back. What I like about Hall is he goes after the ball and he can hit for a little power (at least he did last year). He is built for Fenway. There are way too many judy hitters (no punch even) on the bench. Sign him, I'd do it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

the only surprise is that the Astros will be eating his contract. the should have never signed him to the contract. Keppinger was a better (cheaper) option for them. I honestly thought they would have dumped him in a trade along with whoever the other team really wanted.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wally can always use a playmate...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Sox do need a utility IFer...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I really liked him and he had a great season with the Red Sox last year.  I was surprised and disappointed that the Red Sox didn't resign him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I dont remember Hall being bashed by sox fans. In fact, most of the posts i read were wishing him well and thanking him for a good, and unexpected job here in Boston..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]He was a matter of some debate here on BDC and in particular before the season started and early in the season. It was because of his less than impressive offensive numbers he had put up in his final leg with the Brewers that had the Brewers trading him to the Mariners and eating most of the contract

Some kept saying the RS needed to upgrade while others argued the locker full of gloves was necessary on a team that essentially had two DHs on the roster with Ortiz and Lowell. Hall's early appearances in CF only fueled those that thought he was a waste. That set off debate that turned in a rather typical detachment from reality as certain posters positions hardened and has since become a punch line this year for that hardening.

But this forum is far from a true reflection of RS Nation. If you hadn't read those threads or heard an occasional call to WEEI you would correctly assume that RS grew fond of Hall's HRs that he wrapped around his pedestrian OBP and his just enough defense.

But Bill Hall's career stat sheet suggested that it was just part of a season where the unlikely kept happening to the RS whether it was Darnell McDonald's magic moments or Daniel Nava's first MLB pitch seen becoming a grand slam. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Old friend Bill Hall released by Astros : He was a matter of some debate here on BDC and in particular before the season started and early in the season. It was because of his less than impressive offensive numbers he had put up in his final leg with the Brewers that had the Brewers trading him to the Mariners and eating most of the contract Some kept saying the RS needed to upgrade while others argued the locker full of gloves was necessary on a team that essentially had two DHs on the roster with Ortiz and Lowell. Hall's early appearances in CF only fueled those that thought he was a waste. That set off debate that turned in a rather typical detachment from reality as certain posters positions hardened and has since become a punch line this year for that hardening. But this forum is far from a true reflection of RS Nation. If you hadn't read those threads or heard an occasional call to WEEI you would correctly assume that RS grew fond of Hall's HRs that he wrapped around his pedestrian OBP and his just enough defense. But Bill Hall's career stat sheet suggested that it was just part of a season where the unlikely kept happening to the RS whether it was Darnell McDonald's magic moments or Daniel Nava's first MLB pitch seen becoming a grand slam. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Well said...as usual..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

How well did he play short stop?  Better than Lowrie or Scutaro?    I don't remember how he did there ... but a defensive replacement on the cheap is not such a bad idea.   Keep Iggy in the minors ... get a stop gate that can actually get to some balls up the middle. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Poor ol' Bill. Loved his attitude when he played for us, ah well, he's really not cut out to be a starter anymore, I don't know what the Astros were thinking!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Houston was an optimal ball park for Bill Hall. To be released by Houston is not a good indicator. It's easier for a RH batter to hit a HR in Houston, than anywhere in baseball maybe.

Last year was a fluke to me, for whatever reason. And even though he could play multiple positions he was a defensive liability IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if Theo did pick him up, and slot him in AAA ball though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Another nincompoop call by Softy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I live outside of Houston now, and mentioned a couple weeks ago that Houston was looking to trade BHall, and that the media and fans were roasting him down here. Softy blasted me heavy and hard.

I loved BHall here and was one of the few that supported him from day one. He did a great job filling in all over the place last year. We had so many injuries and 2 guys on the 25 man roster that could not play the field well (Papi and Mikey). His fielding was problematic, but the ability to play so many positions was highly valuable to us. His OPS and BA was low, but he hit some key HRs and was worth every penny we paid him.

A few times when roster moves were needed, there were a few posters who said he shoiuld be the "odd man out", but I never saw any bashing like others on this team get almost daily. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

bill hall had a very decent year last year in boston.  he seemed to play his role without complaining, he hit a good number of home runs and he played a number of positions adequately.  his play in 2010 got him a chance at a better contract than the red sox were going to give him during the winter.

who can blame him for leaving and who could blame him for coming back if he gets to free agency and will cost the sox very little (again). 

he still hits right handed, still runs at least decently, still can play multiple positions, etc.  could he not be as valuable as drew or cameron?  is he not more valuable than reddick who is likely to play very, very little unless there is another injury?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Bill Hall is a UIF'er who was foolishly signed to an inflated one year deal as a starter. The Astros are terrible and poorly run. Unless they were going to use Hall as a utility bench player and pay him as such, they are simply compounding one mistake with another. Hall will be picked up by a team that needs a bench UIF/OF'er who has pop off the bench to go with his career low OBP and BA.

Hall was a fit as a UIF'er and Lowrie should have been traded to address the lack of a solid young RH OFer and defensive catcher issue. Fortunately for Hall, he's leaving a town that despised the guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Cue goalpost movement.

Sections
Shortcuts