Old friend Bill Hall released by Astros

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgtnull. Show sgtnull's posts

Re: Old friend Bill Hall released by Astros

In Response to Re: Old friend Bill Hall released by Astros:
    [QUOTE]I live outside of Houston now, and mentioned a couple weeks ago that Houston was looking to trade BHall, and that the media and fans were roasting him down here. Softy blasted me heavy and hard. I loved BHall here and was one of the few that supported him from day one. He did a great job filling in all over the place last year. We had so many injuries and 2 guys on the 25 man roster that could not play the field well (Papi and Mikey). His fielding was problematic, but the ability to play so many positions was highly valuable to us. His OPS and BA was low, but he hit some key HRs and was worth every penny we paid him. A few times when roster moves were needed, there were a few posters who said he shoiuld be the "odd man out", but I never saw any bashing like others on this team get almost daily. 
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think that the Astros will be better under the new owner. which is why i doubt that unless they are overwhelmed, they will keep Pence. which is too bad because i would love to see him in a Sox uniform.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Hall is a slacker who can't be bothered to run when he thinks he has a HR. and then it ends up off the wall.

a loser ballplayer if i ever saw one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]"Bill Hall will dominate AAAA NL pitching, plus his upper-body is motionless when tracking flyballs" Softpaw
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

So was his glove.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Varitik's glove isnt working too well, nor is his Mendoza line years BA. He lost his cool today, and lost his MLB ability years ago. Give it up, Tek, you old washed up prideful man!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Jed "the butcher" Lowrie has never seen a RHP he liked, and was 0-6 in his career loser role as the pretzel "elite SS".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yeah, let's keep Hall over Lowrie.
    Tek is hitting over .300 since the 3rd week in April.
    Team plays .650 with him catching.
    Damn that logic!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Wrong, let's keep Hall as UIF'er since Scutaro was overpaid and Iggy is ready for initiation

Tek is hitting like a bum in 2011, and for years!

He doesn't catch enough to get credit for what the rest of the team does!

Give the credit for wins to Varitik, damn any other logic!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Some GM's are clueless, and some admit it like this one. Hall only fits in a Utility role, not as an everyday player.

– Astros general manager Ed Wade called it a difficult and personally humbling decision to release Bill Hall, the marquee major league free agent the Astros signed in a winter of limited spending.

“We all were rooting for Bill to do what we all thought he was capable of doing for us, and every time we have to make a move like that, I take it as a failure in judgment on my part,” Wade said Saturday, the morning after the Astros released Hall very late Friday night after a 3-1 loss in San Diego.

Hall, brought in alongside trade acquisition Clint Barmes with the intent of bolstering the offense from the middle infield, never came close to doing so. He hit .224 with two home runs and 55 strikeouts in 147 at-bats. (career averages were low BA and OBP and high K's) econd baseman had been brought in off a rather productive season playing a utility role for the Red Sox in which he hit 18 home runs despite not playing every day, rather filling in often on an injury-plagued team. -HC

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jed "the butcher" Lowrie has never seen a RHP he liked, and was 0-6 in his career loser role as the pretzel "elite SS".

Further proof that softy never bothers to do the "leg work" when making absurd statements.

Out of the top 25 RH'd pitchers (by PAs) Jed has faced in his career, he has some pretty good numbers vs a few:

Sonnanstine .955
    D. Fister        .889
    D. Haren     1.214
    Joba C.        1.333
    J. Johnson  1.333

Out of the next 25 in PAs, he has a 1.000+ OPS vs 7 (over .800 vs 8)

Thats about 26% of the top 50 RH'd pitchers he hits over .800.

I think he's "met a few" he likes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

I don't think so, and he has the BA and OBP to prove it. 26% is one out of four. Work on your math, he's terrible v. RHP. Give his sample size a chance to grow against any RHP, and Paul Byrd will have his number.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think so...

You don't think, period. You just spew nonsense then backpedal and move the goalpost.

You claimed he has "met a RH'd pitcher he likes. The fact is he likes 13 out of the top 50 in PAs he has faced. 13 is not zero, unless your are going to now start redefining what a number is.

...and he has the BA and OBP to prove it.

I have never doubted jed hits righties very poorly, but that was not what you were saying. Stop moving the goalposts just once.

Anyways, I thought you didn't think splits matter even with 3 FT year sample size, but now you are looking at a much smaller sample size and making definitive judgements.

26% is one out of four. Work on your math, he's terrible v. RHP.

I know he is. I also know he is a bad fielder at SS. Your point was he can't hit any RH'd pitchers well enough to 'like".

Work out the math, clown: 26% is not 0%.

Give his sample size a chance to grow against any RHP, and Paul Byrd will have his number.

I do not think Jed will ever hit RHPs well. I don't buy and never have bought the "he hit righties better in the minors" argument at all. That being said, when you compare his overall offensive numbers to other SSs, he comes out near the top. His fielding still makes him a poor choice to be our starting SS "wire to wire", andI agree it would be nice to have a great defensive back-up SS for at least a late inning replacement for Scutty or Jed, but sadly Theo gave up on the idea when we didn't win with Gonzo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

The All Semi-Great Predictor Depth Chart!

1b Kotchman, VMart
    2b Hall ( 6 tools ), Patterson
    3b not needed w/ Lugo plus range
    SS Lugo ( AAA )
    LF not needed w/ Lugo plus range
    CF Crisp  ( .304 OBP ), Hall
    RF Patterson ( .524 ), Hall
    C VMart   ( .507 as C ), Hall
    DH Cameron vs LHP, Kotchman vs RHP

SP DiceK
    RP Oki, Hall

Excerpts from Peter Abraham interview:

PA:  How did you develop your long-worded writing style?

SGP:  I make more money by charging clients by the page.

PA: How did you come up with your "too much upper body motion" theory?

SGP:  I noticed it watching SC highlights, some OF have more than others. Bill Hall has almost none.

PA: Why is his UZR terrible?

SGP:  UZR is racist. Widely known. Even a couple guys in my Bible study group know that.

PA: Tell me the difference between 50/50 and 100%.

SGP:  There is no difference, use them interchangeably.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Varitik's glove isnt working too well, nor is his Mendoza line years BA. He lost his cool today, and lost his MLB ability years ago. Give it up, Tek, you old washed up prideful man!
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

And which catcher has the best OPS in the league this month?

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I wouldn't dismiss the idea of re-signing him next year to that #25 role.

I wonder if he's the type to take his talent for granted.  He had a ridiculous 8/1 K/W for Seattle.  I'm guessing, but maybe that motivated him for the RS, where he had a only a weakish 3/1.  After getting $3M+ from Houston, he's back to a 7/1 K/W.  It's too late for this year, unless Scutaro remains injured, but Hall could be a bounceback candidate next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

And which catcher has the best OPS in the league this month?

And what are 3 slash numbers for this year?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The human passed ball, Jason Varitik.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'd consider bringing him back which would likely mean the end for Darnell McDonald.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Jed Lowrie is an elite MLB SS, because I said so.

But, sir, he's an error machine butcher with no range and he hits like a weak UIF'er v. RHP and he has the constitution of a pretzel?

Yea, but I love the guy, just like most astute Red Sox fans. I relate to him, and dream bout being him. I can't dream about being a Japanese guy, or some guy from outside of my condo association.

You know they will ban you for saying "ugly things"?

Yes, I know that, but it depends on the content of the ugly things that are said. My ugly things are popular, only the unpopular "ugly things" should bring a banning.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

[QUOTE]Great..now softy will be pulling for Theo to sign him and get rid of Jed..I mean, after all...its Bill FREAKIN" Hall!!!!
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

The Yankees will make a run at him

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

What a shrewd move. Get Hall as Utility bench guy for zilch cost, Scutaro back off the DL, Iggy and Navy as quality farm depth, and deal the great Jed Lowrie for a solid young RH OF'er. Theo sells low and buys high, so that will never happen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Out of baseball at age 31. Live with it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]And which catcher has the best OPS in the league this month? And what are 3 slash numbers for this year? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The human passed ball, Jason Varitik.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]

.226/.301/.345/.646

Even without addressing the fact that he is the hottest hitting catcher, his wOBA still ranks 12th in the league.  That means he has to be ahead of at least two starting catchers right now, and you want to find a minor leaguer to replace him?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Softy basted me for reporting that the Astros were trying to deal BHall.

The fans down here are bumming out they cut him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It's their fault for being so damn bigoted!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This town is full of "good ole boy" bigots. I can't believe they couldn't see BHall's value.