old friend Carl Pavano is available

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

old friend Carl Pavano is available

after sitting out last year with a humerous bruise, could he be a candidate for that 6th, 7th, starting pitcher on an incentive laden deal?

Carl put together some pretty good years post Yankees, reaching 200 innings multiple times.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: old friend Carl Pavano is available

In response to rkarp's comment:

after sitting out last year with a humerous bruise, could he be a candidate for that 6th, 7th, starting pitcher on an incentive laden deal?

Carl put together some pretty good years post Yankees, reaching 200 innings multiple times.

6TH OR 7TH....Ok... Who's your 10th starter?..... What kind of mentality do we have on this board?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Morales and Aceves are the 6th and 7th I think

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

In the end Pavano may have been a better acquisition than Dempster

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Not sarcastic at all. Carl is 36 years old and has shown an ability to be an innings eater, a good K/BB ratio. Presume he could be had relatively inexpensively, although I understand many teams are in on him.

To assume that this team doesnt need 6-8 starting caliber pitchers is foolish, as last year taught us.

Having this pool of starting pitchers will only offer additional flexibility for trades such as Aceves/Morales, and allow De La Rosa to get what he needs the most this year...innings (in AAA)

If Morales is dealt for Hanrahan (I think he will be), I do think that the SOx need another starting pitcher, and if the $$ are right for Carl, he may even be amenable to starting in PAwtucket until needed. Could he be any worse than Cook?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

3 yrs / $39 million...Get it done Ben!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If Morales is dealt, that doesnt mean Boston have to look for another starting pitcher.  Morales was not even projected to be part of the rotation anyway.  Aceves, Tazawa or one of the farm system player can be use as an emergency starter.

What is wrong on resigning Cook or Padilla??  I ll take them over Pavano easily

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

that's the thing rkarp
    aren't you tired of all the ''low risk high reward BS''
    'low risk'' my azz, those failed starts hurt, and you have to give them a few chances
    I'd rather risk a few starts on some one with more potential

I am not tired of low risk signings if the player is not going to be depended on to carry the load. Pavano is inventory, allowing the young arms time to mature, build up innings, and other pitching inventory to be moved for other needs. 

If we assume health, each of Lester, Buch, Dempster and Lackey are capable of throwing 180-200 innings. Doubrant w/b in that 150-180 range.

I think De LA Rosa has the ability to force his way onto the team thru great performance at AAA, but it is reasonable to expect 80-100 innings from him.

I would expect Webster to see Fenway at some point this year in a very limited way...

Barnes needs to throw 120 innings this year in AAA IMO.

I think the SOx like Tazawa and Morales in the pen

I see no down side to Pavano signing a contract for AAA, show he is healthy and can still pitch, with an option of June 1 that the SOx promote or release him.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It's beginning to shape up like 2012 did. Ben will begin stockpiling cast-offs and has-beens to step in if Lackey or Dempster can't cut it.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

What is Ben to do with the remaining $10-15 mil left to spend. That is the question.

probably save it in case we are in it at the deadline and want to pick up some payroll for a playoff push

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts