Olney drivel "tension in that clubhouse"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Olney drivel "tension in that clubhouse"

Olney predicts the Red Sox to miss the playoffs, in part because of the atmosphere around the team following last September's collapse and the hiring of an outspoken manager.

"I came away from my couple of days of being around the Red Sox thinking there's still some lingering stuff there," Olney said. "I'm not around the team every day, I can't give the best read on what everyone's thinking. But man, there's tension there. You just feel it. … When I was around the Red Sox camp it just felt like there was all this unresolved stuff just hanging over the team."

Added Olney: "I think it goes well beyond Bobby when I'm talking about just the feeling tension in that clubhouse and in that spring training camp. I do think there are a lot of unresolved things from last year. So, when I say that, I don't mean at all to put it all on Bobby. I think they've got a lot of issues that they've got to sort through.

This guy is a moron!  This is a baseball team, not a 7th grade girls slumber party.  He is worse the Abraham with the fluff:  lingering stuff,  tension, feel like,....   These are grown men getting paid to play a game. 

I could cite a hundred examples ( for one see below) of successful sporting teams that had: tension, unresolved things,.....

..I for one am tired of this kind of cr_p seeping into sport and society in general.  You got a job just do it, and quit crying.

How many unresolved things and stuff lingering there did the 1976 to 1980 NYY have with Martin / Steinbrenner saga and Jackson, Pinella, Hunter,....?:

Wins
    976           97
    1977          100
    1978          100
    1979           89
    1980          103

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Olney drivel "tension in that clubhouse"

"I CAN'T GIVE MY BEST READ ON WHAT EVERYONE THINKING"....OLNEY'S CLEO NOW?? I THINK HE'S ALSO A YANKEE FAN

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Tough to argue with hard hitting facts like "Lingering stuff" "Unresolved issues" and "feeling tension".

I think it is safe to say Olney's next career will not be as a trial lawyer.  "Well your honor, I just kind of feel like this guy is guilty.  I rest my case."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

While I have never been a fan of busted olenut, he isn't the only one saying these things.

I have to believe where there is smoke there is fire.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Without tension, there is only slack.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Olney drivel "tension in that clubhouse":
    [QUOTE]While I have never been a fan of busted olenut, he isn't the only one saying these things. I have to believe where there is smoke there is fire.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Did you also believe what was said for years about the strained relationship between Posada and Girardi, Babe?  There were a lot of people "saying these things" There was also a lot of smoke last year, when Posada "couldnt play" and took himself out of the game. Was there a fire or was it a media fire storm??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I love the idea of "unresolved stuff hanging over the team".  Yeah, ya think Buster?  They had an epic collapse last year, I'd be worried if there wasn't "unresolved stuff".  29 teams should have the feeling of "unresolved stuff".

Are the Rangers or Yankees or Phillies or Tigers happy about how there season ended?  Losing for a month and missing the playoffs hopefully has stuck with the Red Sox.  The rest of it, the clubhouse drama garbage, it is just noise that gives Olney and his ilk something to talk about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olney drivel "tension in that clubhouse" : Did you also believe what was said for years about the strained relationship between Posada and Girardi, Babe?  There were a lot of people "saying these things" There was also a lot of smoke last year, when Posada "couldnt play" and took himself out of the game. Was there a fire or was it the media??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

That's different. Wink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I want guys feeling uneasy, I want guys playing for their jobs. They should be embarrased how last season ended but last season is over this is a new season time to erase it by playing well. Winning cures all ills.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Why is it so hard to believe there is lingering tension?

They liked Tito and when he was basically fired, certain insiders created an image of Tito that was distracted by a broken marriage and he had a drug problem.

Players were made out to be slackers because they had a beer and some chicken in the Club House on their off days and this was seen as the reason they collpased in September.

They had a team where what happened in the Club House stayed in the club house and players weren't thrown under the bus and then suddenly people were getting thrown under the bus.

This isn't about the players and Bobby V.  It's about the players and Ownership.

Why do I get the sense that naming Bobby V. as the manager was in the same line as headphones and a party on the John Henry's yacht as a "solution" to problems. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I want there to be tension.  There was zero tension last year and the line went completely slack when it counted.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]I want there to be tension.  There was zero tension last year and the line went completely slack when it counted.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  The baserunning, pitcher fielding, and defensive awareness was all poor last year.  Even during the winning stretch.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olney drivel "tension in that clubhouse" : Exactly.  The baserunning, pitcher fielding, and defensive awareness was all poor last year.  Even during the winning stretch.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

It was the great fine line of the Tito era.  The looseness and calm that was the hallmark of his tenure was what made the impossible comeback of the 2004 ALCS possible (obviously along with some fantastic ballplayers), and what made it possible for the club to weather the total erosion of a 14 1/2 game division lead in 07 (also perhaps the cause of said erosion) and then rally from a 3-1 ALCS defecit to the Indians, and to sweep 2 world series in total domination.  Total calm is the secret to peak athletic performance: it yields best focus and best responsiveness from the body.  But, one the other side of the same coin, it can, without the proper energy at its foundation, dissipate easily into listless bumbling.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

There could very well be a major issue still at play....
    What if the person responsible for informing the media about the chicken and beer is still there?
    Would that create an issue of trust in the locker room?
    Is it possible that there is still a lack of trust of it even if that person is gone?

Maybe Olney saw players unwilling to open up in front of their team mates?

If anyone has made comments like Henry did about CC that were misconstrued or if comments by a coach are not recieved as intended there will be tension. You hope the good manager in any business sees it and fixes it immediately.

You want a fine tuned instrument with just enough tension, too much and it breaks too little and it plays badly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olney drivel "tension in that clubhouse" : Exactly.  The baserunning, pitcher fielding, and defensive awareness was all poor last year.  Even during the winning stretch.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]
    Here, here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olney drivel "tension in that clubhouse" : Did you also believe what was said for years about the strained relationship between Posada and Girardi, Babe?  There were a lot of people "saying these things" There was also a lot of smoke last year, when Posada "couldnt play" and took himself out of the game. Was there a fire or was it the media??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I definitely think there was tension between Girardia nd Posada dating back to their playing days together.

Why is it so hard for the rfn to believe that there is some tension in their clubhouse?

I'm more inclined to believe a guy who has friends in the clubhouse and a scout that has been following the team all spring training than a bunch of fans that have been nowhere near the team and live their life through sawx colored glasses.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olney drivel "tension in that clubhouse" : I definitely think there was tension between Girardia nd Posada dating back to their playing days together. Why is it so hard for the rfn to believe that there is some tension in their clubhouse? I'm more inclined to believe a guy who has friends in the clubhouse and a scout that has been following the team all spring training than a bunch of fans that have been nowhere near the team and live their life through sawx colored glasses.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

If Schill or Olney said anything that was in spitting distance of specific or involving anything other than all the catch-phrases that have been endlessly tied to the Sox in the aftermath of the 2011 disaster and the prelude to the Bobby V. tenure, I would totally agree with you about their knowledge vs. dumb fans' knowledge.  But, you gotta admit, their respective "takes" are pretty weak.

In any case, even though I do indeed live my life through sawx colored glasses (guilty as charged), I do not find it hard to believe there is tension in the clubhouse this year.  In fact, I really, really hope there is and that it is thick enough to cut with the knife previously reserved for fried chicken breasts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Fair enough....all Olney's article says is "I think" "I felt" and "I came away with". it says nothing about quoting players or any sources, not that they're worth the paper they're written on, either. All it is, is speculation, conjecture and opinion, which unfortunately, is the common ground for reporting these days. He on the outside looking in and has no more inside information than anyone else who's not there.

To answer your question, I do not find it hard to believe, I just find the reporters hard to believe. Pedroia said recently he still thinks about it everyday. I'm sure he isnt the only one. The best way to put it behind them is to change it and go out and play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

And what about the scout that had been following the team during spring training and said pretty much the same thing?

We have at least 3 people telling similar stories.

I think that I would put more stock in that than some fan on the other side of the pond's fan-based opinion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]I want guys feeling uneasy, I want guys playing for their jobs. They should be embarrased how last season ended but last season is over this is a new season time to erase it by playing well. Winning cures all ills.
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

When your making...50-75-100mil plus your not playing for your job ???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

its a new season..im pretty sure no one on the team is losing sleep over last september....josh has lost weight, clay is healthy, even dice k is coming back..and lackey/drew are gone...plus the old warhorses wont be dragging us down (wake/tek)...the only thing missing from a classic rebound year imo are some yougnsters to motivate and energize the team...one reason why i want iggy/lava in there so badly...

plus we have a manager that truly wants to win every game and who will actually manage that way!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Olney drivel "tension in that clubhouse" : It was the great fine line of the Tito era.  The looseness and calm that was the hallmark of his tenure was what made the impossible comeback of the 2004 ALCS possible (obviously along with some fantastic ballplayers), and what made it possible for the club to weather the total erosion of a 14 1/2 game division lead in 07 (also perhaps the cause of said erosion) and then rally from a 3-1 ALCS defecit to the Indians, and to sweep 2 world series in total domination.  Total calm is the secret to peak athletic performance: it yields best focus and best responsiveness from the body.  But, one the other side of the same coin, it can, without the proper energy at its foundation, dissipate easily into listless bumbling.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Well said Spaceman.  Some people just think deeper than others.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This is why it is important to get off to a good start this year. A good start will make all this kind of talk go away. A poor start and there will be a lot of rumbling and grumbling.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]its a new season..im pretty sure no one on the team is losing sleep over last september....josh has lost weight, clay is healthy, even dice k is coming back..and lackey/drew are gone...plus the old warhorses wont be dragging us down (wake/tek)...the only thing missing from a classic rebound year imo are some yougnsters to motivate and energize the team...one reason why i want iggy/lava in there so badly... plus we have a manager that truly wants to win every game and who will actually manage that way!
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a true fanboy.....

Sections
Shortcuts