1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

On Larry Lucchino - a plea for him to resign

I don't post here often, but drop in from time to time to visit with my fellow sufferers ... I mean, Sox fans.  Embarassed

With last September's collapse, Francona's "non-renewal," the Hohler story, and this year's dreadful performances, the Sox have had lots of negative soap opera energy around them.

People blame an obsessive fanbase, immature players, and an intense media market.  But if we are being honest and rational, we see that each of those things was a positive when we were winning.  And in pro sports, you don't/can't win every year.  But you can build an organization that is competitive every year. 

Winning organizations work from strength, and embody values that allow them to gain an advantage.  Examples:
    * Yankees, "Spend, spend, spend"
    * Raiders "Just win, baby"
    * Patriots "No one bigger than the team"
    * Bulls "Jordan Rules"

The point of that list is to show that it's not always the SAME values (imagine Al Davis with Hoodie as coach!) but that the organization understands why it wins, and sticks to that.

I think Larry Lucchino is the problem with the Red Sox, and I don't think we'll ever return to the 2003-2007 level of competitiveness as long as he's involved.

The Sox of that era, from the "Idiots" to the slightly more subdued champs of '07 were proud, obnoxious .... and hugely loyal to one another.  Examples of how the team had each others' backs (for better and otherwise):
    * the 'Tek/A-Roc brawl
    * Terry defending Manny time and again to the media
    * Bronson Arroyo feeling betrayed when traded -- think he'd leave town on a Jet, giving a double-thumbs up for Twitter? 
    * Just: Tim Wakefield.  Forever bailed out his teammates, one way or the other.
    * Nomar being shown the door when he started creating problems

If you can say the Raiders' key to winning was permissiveness, it seems to me that the Sox's key was cohesiveness.  Who better embodied that than Terry Francona?

And who is a better example of lacking that very quality than Larry Lucchino?  To whom is he loyal?
    * the guy who brought you two WS championships?  Nope!  Let's get rid of him ... and tell Bob Hohler nasty things about him to put in the paper!
    * The kid GM who brought respectability back to your franchise?  Nope!  He gets too much attention - I'll engage in power struggles with him, so I get my fair share of the spotlight, too! 
    * the League that gave you a great career?  Hell, NO!  I'll say crappy things about other franchises .... even though we are all quite literally employees of the same company, and benefit by our mutual success as well as competition.
    * Your new GM after you pole-axed the previous one and ran the manager out of town?  Nope!  Can't let him have some control and hire the manager ... no, no can do.

We could go back years and years hashing over details, but I don't think anyone here would argue that Larry Lucchino has few friends and champions around MLB.  He has been a lightning rod not only for negativity (which might be ok in a certain context) but for DISLOYALTY. 

And now, he is "running the franchise." (wasn't that his quote?) 

Leadership sets the tone in organizations.  By changing the Red Sox from an organization that values loyalty to one where disloyalty is rampant, Lucchino has created a culture of losing.

We call Josh Beckett a clubhouse cancer?  LOLOLOLOL!!! Josh Beckett is a player, but he doesn't run the Red Sox.  I would have loved to see a player pull his stunts on the Braves during the Schuerholz/Cox era.  LOLOLOLOLOL!!!  Or the George Steinbrenner Yankees?  "Josh, Mr. Schuerholz would like to see you in his office.  Bring a stick for him to beat you with, please."

No, it's Lucchino who's the real clubhouse cancer.  By demonstrating a willingness to throw others under the bus, he sets the tone.  By failing to exact discipline (at least with regard to media leakage) he sets a tone.  And by inserting himself when and wherever he feels like it, he sets a tone (in this case, of not having confidence in the GM, re: BV hiring).

What's the real message there?  Larry first!  Red Sox second! 

He needs  to go.  Larry, please resign -- and leave.  Do NOT stay as a 'senior advisor' or in any role whatsoever.  Take your need to accumulate power at the expense of winning and screw up another organization for a while.

But for the love of 2004, Carlton Fisk, Johnny Pesky, Pedro and Jim Rice and the Splendid Splinter and Yaz and Dewey, go.  We don't demand the Sox win every year (and certainly the fair weather fans have lost interest by now), but we do want them to have a chance.

Please, please go away.  We love our team more than you do, and would like to feel good about cheering for them again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from eab2011. Show eab2011's posts

Re: On Larry Lucchino - a plea for him to resign

In Response to On Larry Lucchino - a plea for him to resign:
    [QUOTE]I don't post here often, but drop in from time to time to visit with my fellow sufferers ... I mean, Sox fans.  With last September's collapse, Francona's "non-renewal," the Hohler story, and this year's dreadful performances, the Sox have had lots of negative soap opera energy around them. People blame an obsessive fanbase, immature players, and an intense media market.  But if we are being honest and rational, we see that each of those things was a positive when we were winning.  And in pro sports, you don't/can't win every year.  But you can build an organization that is competitive every year.  Winning organizations work from strength, and embody values that allow them to gain an advantage.  Examples: * Yankees, "Spend, spend, spend" * Raiders "Just win, baby" * Patriots "No one bigger than the team" * Bulls "Jordan Rules" The point of that list is to show that it's not always the SAME values (imagine Al Davis with Hoodie as coach!) but that the organization understands why it wins, and sticks to that. I think Larry Lucchino is the problem with the Red Sox, and I don't think we'll ever return to the 2003-2007 level of competitiveness as long as he's involved. The Sox of that era, from the "Idiots" to the slightly more subdued champs of '07 were proud, obnoxious .... and hugely loyal to one another.  Examples of how the team had each others' backs (for better and otherwise): * the 'Tek/A-Roc brawl * Terry defending Manny time and again to the media * Bronson Arroyo feeling betrayed when traded -- think he'd leave town on a Jet, giving a double-thumbs up for Twitter?  * Just: Tim Wakefield.  Forever bailed out his teammates, one way or the other. * Nomar being shown the door when he started creating problems If you can say the Raiders' key to winning was permissiveness, it seems to me that the Sox's key was cohesiveness.  Who better embodied that than Terry Francona? And who is a better example of lacking that very quality than Larry Lucchino?  To whom is he loyal? * the guy who brought you two WS championships?  Nope!  Let's get rid of him ... and tell Bob Hohler nasty things about him to put in the paper! * The kid GM who brought respectability back to your franchise?  Nope!  He gets too much attention - I'll engage in power struggles with him, so I get my fair share of the spotlight, too!  * the League that gave you a great career?  Hell, NO!  I'll say crappy things about other franchises .... even though we are all quite literally employees of the same company, and benefit by our mutual success as well as competition. * Your new GM after you pole-axed the previous one and ran the manager out of town?  Nope!  Can't let him have some control and hire the manager ... no, no can do. We could go back years and years hashing over details, but I don't think anyone here would argue that Larry Lucchino has few friends and champions around MLB.  He has been a lightning rod not only for negativity (which might be ok in a certain context) but for DISLOYALTY.  And now, he is "running the franchise." (wasn't that his quote?)  Leadership sets the tone in organizations.  By changing the Red Sox from an organization that values loyalty to one where disloyalty is rampant, Lucchino has created a culture of losing. We call Josh Beckett a clubhouse cancer?  LOLOLOLOL!!! Josh Beckett is a player, but he doesn't run the Red Sox.  I would have loved to see a player pull his stunts on the Braves during the Schuerholz/Cox era.  LOLOLOLOLOL!!!  Or the George Steinbrenner Yankees?  "Josh, Mr. Schuerholz would like to see you in his office.  Bring a stick for him to beat you with, please." No, it's Lucchino who's the real clubhouse cancer.  By demonstrating a willingness to throw others under the bus, he sets the tone.  By failing to exact discipline (at least with regard to media leakage) he sets a tone.  And by inserting himself when and wherever he feels like it, he sets a tone (in this case, of not having confidence in the GM, re: BV hiring). What's the real message there?  Larry first!  Red Sox second!  He needs  to go.  Larry, please resign -- and leave.  Do NOT stay as a 'senior advisor' or in any role whatsoever.  Take your need to accumulate power at the expense of winning and screw up another organization for a while. But for the love of 2004, Carlton Fisk, Johnny Pesky, Pedro and Jim Rice and the Splendid Splinter and Yaz and Dewey, go.  We don't demand the Sox win every year (and certainly the fair weather fans have lost interest by now), but we do want them to have a chance. Please, please go away.  We love our team more than you do, and would like to feel good about cheering for them again.
    Posted by ABQDan[/QUOTE]

BRILLIANT!!!  Very well put.  Until he's gone, this franchise will remain an embarrassment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

lmao.   He has won championships in Miami and Boston.  He is blowing up a discrace of a team and rebuilding.  Let it go.....this team was the worse team assembled in the history of money....except for some met teams.  No more FA bust signings.  Stick to a game plan for better or worse.  Produce homegrown talent that can produce in Boston and fill in with moerate price FA to help the team where you are weak.  No more Theo signings of outragious nature.  Don't' even go there.  And stockpile the pitching please......................

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Thanks.  I am beyond frustrated at the total lack of attention his actions have received.  I freaking had a Doug Griffin autograph and Rick Miller glove when I was a kid -- I love the Sox, and always will.

But Beckett and Lackey aren't clubhouse cancers, they were clubhouse pimples that any competent leader could have burst in two seconds.

It seems every time something goes wrong, that same media everyone thinks is apparently more influential on free agents than Scott Boras (wake up, kids) gets fed some really nasty gossip by "a source high up in the Red Sox organization."

Kind of hard to picture Cherington dropping dimes on Theo and Terry, isn't it?  And somehow, I think Gentleman John Henry was probably busy with his daughter/spouse at a soccer game.

Do the Sox need to address the on-field talent?  Sure do.  But they have the finances to do that, and will.  This isn't Oakland or Toronto.

I can picture what it must be like working around Yawkey Way these days - who can I trust?  If I take a risk and it doesn't work, am I going to have my divorce wind up in the Globe? 

Where does this perpetually misanthropic ball of misery finally come to rest?

I hope it's far, far away from Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Appreciate the rebuttal.  I'm not talking about Theo's mistakes - agree with you (as would he) that they were bad moves.

And I'm not saying LL does not have some competencies.

But some folks rise above their ability level when it comes to leadership, and I think he's one.  The RS need someone who can create a much better atmosphere in a position of ultimate authority.

I also have absolutely no info on this (I'll probably find out a bit more when in LA next week, will be having dinner with someone who might have some info) but think this deal was more Cherington as salesperson?  I draw that conclusion because the balance of negatives and positives for each team in the deal is actually pretty detailed, and just don't see Lucchino as able to do that.

Didn't Larry cost us A-Rod?  Please let's not pretend we didn't all want him when that seemed "this close."  And Teixeira was made to seem a turncoat, but my take on it (supported by a half-decent source) was that he had a change of heart after hanging around LL during negotiations.

If we agree that Theo is not the amazing judge of talent some claim, here's a great way to make my point: how's the environment around the Cubs these days, vs. the Sox?  Cuz neither is a threat to win ....