One game playoff - who is your starter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

One game playoff - who is your starter?

Let's say we are playing Oakland....who do you prefer to pitch and how far do you go to set up the rotation for that likelihood?

The more I think about, the more i think it should be Lackey or Peavy (in that order)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: One game playoff - who is your starter?

All depends who's pitching the best late in the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

None we must win first play!!! ... One game playoff is shooting craps...a Selig major blunder!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Depends who pitched the days before the big game and who is rested enough to be handed the ball. Assuming all things are equal, I'd prefer...

1) Peavy

2) Lester

3) Lackey

4) Doubront

If Buch has returned and looks like he is close to top form...

1) Peavy

2) Buch

3) Lester

4) Lackey

It might also depend on who we play and where. Some temas are much better or worse vs a RHP or LHP.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Between Lester Lakey and Peavy I'd just roll with whoevers been better their last 4 starts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

As things stand today I'd start with Peavy snd have Lester ready to come in as soon as I sensed any bit of trouble.  I think peavy has a much more fearless mentality to better handle that type of pressure but if he doesn't have it that day I'd be ready.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

As things stand today I'd start with Peavy snd have Lester ready to come in as soon as I sensed any bit of trouble.  I think peavy has a much more fearless mentality to better handle that type of pressure but if he doesn't have it that day I'd be ready.

But then we waste two starters in one game, and are shot for a 5 game.  

If Buchholz isn't competely ramped up by the time the playoffs come, perhaps he can piggy back.  Not a likely scenario, but probably not the craziest ideal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

if buch is healthy and pitching like he does, it's buchholz, buchholz, buchholz, then peavy, then lester. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

[QUOTE]

But then we waste two starters in one game, and are shot for a 5 game.  

If Buchholz isn't competely ramped up by the time the playoffs come, perhaps he can piggy back.  Not a likely scenario, but probably not the craziest ideal.

[/QUOTE]

Point well taken but if we don't win the playoff game it won't make a difference.  If we don't use Lester he'll be ok in the next series.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Peavey against a predominantly right handed line up,Lester vs a Lefty loaded line up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

if buch is healthy and pitching like he does, it's buchholz, buchholz, buchholz, then peavy, then lester. 

you cant be serious...from taking four months off to pitching a one game playoff? he would be my #4 at this point - only ahead of Dempster

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Peavy all the way! Lester if Peavy wasn't here

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Honestly I think Lackey has been the best and most consistent. The question is, would they score for him? Sure it's probably a coincedence, but there's no way this guy should be 8-11.

I think it's a matter of who's hottest when the season ends.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

[QUOTE]

you cant be serious...from taking four months off to pitching a one game playoff? he would be my #4 at this point - only ahead of Dempster

[/QUOTE]

thread doesn't say "if it was tomorrow," does it? Clay is pitching, if he can get a major league start under his belt, and pitches well, he's my number 1, no question 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Once Buch gets back we'd have 6 starters Geo......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Once Buch gets back we'd have 6 starters Geo......

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but we totally should have held on to scutaro he's like the best shortstop ever according to geo even though he hasn't played short in like two years.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I'd probably start Lester, peavy hasn't exactly been great in his post season appearances, of course its been a while since he's pitched in the payoffs and he's a completely different pitcher now than he was then.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"At this point" Buch's not even on the list. He's behind Dempster and many others. He's in rehab.

If Buch comes back and starts 4-6 games and looks close to how he did earlier this year, of course he'd have to be considered as the one-game starter.

It really may come down to who is available for the game. If we have to pitch all our starters up to the last day of the season, the playoff game starter will likely be the best of the starters who haven't pitched in 3-5 days.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If the season ended today, The Rays would play the A's in the one game play-in. The winner would play the one seed: Detroit (as of now).

The Sox would face the Rangers in round one with the Sox having the homefield advantage.

If the Rays overtake us, Detroit stays number 1, and the A's win the other WC slot, we'd play Oakland in a one game playoff. If we won, we'd play Detroit.

If we end up with the best record, we might end up facing TB in our first round match-up, but perhaps they'd have used up Moore or Price in the play-in game, so we'd avoid a start vs a tough lefty.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Let's say we are playing Oakland....who do you prefer to pitch and how far do you go to set up the rotation for that likelihood?

The more I think about, the more i think it should be Lackey or Peavy (in that order)

That is depend who the Sox play against as well who they will face in the first round.  Let say the Sox will face the Tigers if they happen to win the wildcard game.  Tigers are loaded with right handed hitters.  Best is to have as much right handed pitchers against the Tigers.  Before facing the Tigers, Sox may face Oakland who is more better hitting on left side, and Sox can throw in Lester or Doubront. 

I think Farrell isnt going to pick the best pitcher in the last five weeks of the season.  Farrell will try to balance his rotation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]

That is depend who the Sox play against as well who they will face in the first round.  Let say the Sox will face the Tigers if they happen to win the wildcard game.  Tigers are loaded with right handed hitters.  Best is to have as much right handed pitchers against the Tigers.  Before facing the Tigers, Sox may face Oakland who is more better hitting on left side, and Sox can throw in Lester or Doubront. 

I think Farrell isnt going to pick the best pitcher in the last five weeks of the season.  Farrell will try to balance his rotation.

[/QUOTE]

They won't look ahead. They will pitch who they think is the best guy to help them advance. They will worry about the next series after the play-in game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

Personally, I'd have Lester start if Buchholz either doesn't come back or comes back and pitches poorly, and Buchholz otherwise. Also, with 4 days off remaining in the season, Farrell has some opportunities to mess with the pitching rotation so that his pitcher of choice will have at least 3 days of rest between his last start of the regular season and a potential one-game playoff, should the Rays overtake the division.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I hope this post is moot....we really need to win the division.....both TB and us have 13 games before we go to Tampa for our last 3 head to head.....we have 9 of those at home and 4 in NY, TB has 3 at home and then the 10 game West Coast trip...you have to figure TB would be thrilled with 8-5 over those 13 games....and 7-6 is more likely.....the Sox need to win the home series and split the 4 in NY and we go to Tampa up a couple of games putting lot of pressure on Tampa to sweep....by the way if Clay keeps on an every 5 day schedule and makes 2 more rehab starts, he would be ready for the TB series....probably way optimistic, but it would be a big boost to the team

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

These are nice thougths, but the fact is we're not going to have much say in who pitches the first game.  These WC races are going to go right down to the wire and every contending team is going to be trying to manipulate their rotation just to get a WC spot. 

IF they're fortunate enough to get a WC spot they're then going to have to face the decision of who pitches the WC game on how much rest, and after THAT they playoffs start against a division winner - who's going to be using their TOR guy.  Which gives them a whole new pitching problem.

This whole 2-WC thing is making it virtually impossible for a WC team to have much success in the playoffs.  That's why the Sox HAVE to win their division if they have any plans of going deep into the playoffs, and they should have it wrapped up early so they can get their rotation set. 

Teams that do that are going to be in good shape, and teams that don't do that.... well... they should be making tee-times.     

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.