One game playoff - who is your starter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: One game playoff - who is your starter?

In response to craig2174's comment:

One game playoff be damned, Who starts game one of the division series?  Let Tampa figure out who will start the one game against oakland

At this point I trust Lacks Lester or Peavy

Exactly.

The Sox ain't playing no one game playoff.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

If we're playing the 1 game playoff at this point it probably means we went all out til the end to win division. Then it should be:

1. Who is rested

2. Who pitched the best coming down the stretch

3. Who do you feel most comfortable in a big game

Based on that Peavy/Lackey/Lester all have big game experience. But if Buch comes back and pitches like he did beginning of season he would be tough to bypass. Based on that I would probably try to save Buch for game 1 of following series and try to get 2 starts[if needed] and choose between the other 3 based on rest /pitching well down the stretch/ and the fact that all have pitched in high leverage situations before.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

This is the first year that I recall most every starter being able to make a case to start game one.  The last team I recall who had a balanced rotation like this going into the playoffs wa ere the White Sox when they won the world series.  Our starters don't go as deep into games though.

That said... my one game starter is Peavy

This is more realistic to break down a projected rotation for the playoffs... so here is mine

*assuming clay can't start until proved otherwise

1.  Peavy - you traded away iglesias for a playoff ace in case clay can't go

2.  Lackey - consistent all year and very solid but not dominant earns the number 2 spot

3. Doubront - cant deny the second half numbers even though he is young

4. Lester - is hot as of late, but others have been better all year.  We won a series with him last and he only has one more year with us.  I would rather build for the future than pander to a vets pride

That said... you go with the hot hand.  I respect all these guys enough to know that you have a chance when any of them pitch the same.  This is a team of #2 starters... and I'm cool with that.  I think we will get the same results no matter who pitches out of this group.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

Honestly I think Lackey has been the best and most consistent. The question is, would they score for him? Sure it's probably a coincedence, but there's no way this guy should be 8-11.

I think it's a matter of who's hottest when the season ends.

Lacey has been great but no support. I would go with peavy, the guy has the heart of a lion.  He shows no fear, that's what you need in a high pressure situation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:

If we're playing the 1 game playoff at this point it probably means we went all out til the end to win division. Then it should be:

1. Who is rested

Based on that Peavy/Lackey/Lester all have big game experience. But if Buch comes back and pitches like he did beginning of season he would be tough to bypass. Based on that I would probably try to save Buch for game 1 of following series and try to get 2 starts[if needed] and choose between the other 3 based on rest /pitching well down the stretch/ and the fact that all have pitched in high leverage situations before.

Buch can lose his concentration when things get tough.  I would go with peavy for the reasons I already stated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

[QUOTE]

Let me add another hypothetical.

If the sox are tied for the division at the end of  the year do they pitch their best pitcher for the 1 game playoff for the division or second best?  My choice would be go with second best.  If you win your best is ready to start the 5 game series, if you lose, you have the best pitcher for the 1 game win or go home wc playoff.

If this happens, the tiebreaker is record in head-to-head games, not a one game playoff.  Thr Sox have already clinched the tiebreakrr vs Tampa.  They need 3 wins vs  NYY and 6 vs Balt to clinch.

The only way they have a one game playoff for the division is if both wild card teams have better records. In which case, the loser of the one game is done...

[/QUOTE]

Good grief, this is getting out of hand!  I liked the good old days when there were 2 divisions.  The best teams played each other, simple.  Those were the days Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

[QUOTE]

1. Who is rested

Buch can lose his concentration when things get tough.  I would go with peavy for the reasons I already stated.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. Thats why I save Buch for game 1 of next series. Let one of the grizzled vets who have been there done that pitch the do or die game depending on who's pitching the best / most rested / and record vs opponent determine between Peavy/Lester/Lackey.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

1. Who is rested

[/QUOTE]

Agree. Thats why I save Buch for game 1 of next series. Let one of the grizzled vets who have been there done that pitch the do or die game depending on who's pitching the best / most rested / and record vs opponent determine between Peavy/Lester/Lackey.

[/QUOTE]

I like lackey a lot and admire how he has turned things around.  But he's not getting run support.  I think the team may be trying too hard to get hits when lackey pitches and that may be a reason for lack of run support.  Just my theory, could be wrong. 

But if it's true the players would be under pressure on two levels so that's why I wouldn't pitch lackey.  

Lester needs to prove that he can be consistent, maybe he will.

I'm just so impressed with peavy's gritty approach.  It's just a gut feeling but I would put him on the mound.

Sections
Shortcuts