One game playoff - who is your starter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: One game playoff - who is your starter?

I can't believe it but my choice is Lackey. And I once thought he was finished as an effective starter.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Let me add another hypothetical.

If the sox are tied for the division at the end of  the year do they pitch their best pitcher for the 1 game playoff for the division or second best?  My choice would be go with second best.  If you win your best is ready to start the 5 game series, if you lose, you have the best pitcher for the 1 game win or go home wc playoff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

if buch is healthy and pitching like he does, it's buchholz, buchholz, buchholz, then peavy, then lester. 

Thats almost how I see it too. If Buchholz is pitching like earlier this year its a no brainer: ERA 1.71. Second  choice is Lackey, who has pitched consistently well all year, then Peavy. Lester is my fourth choice, but that could change if he keeps pitching well over the next month. Right now, I still do not trust him in a one game playoff as much as the other guys.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

If the sox are tied for the division at the end of  the year do they pitch their best pitcher for the 1 game playoff for the division or second best?  My choice would be go with second best.  If you win your best is ready to start the 5 game series, if you lose, you have the best pitcher for the 1 game win or go home wc playoff.

With the Sox, deciding who is your best or 2nd best or even 3rd best or 4th best is why this post is even a discussion....we just do not have a clear # 1 but we have 4 very good choices in Lackey Peavy, Lester and a healthy Buch.....and that is disregarding Doubront who at times this year was our most consistent pitcher. If we make the palyoffs it will be interesting to see who goes to the Pen and what 4 guys start....presumably it would be Doubie, since he has some Pen experience, but we are loaded with Lefties in the Pen already..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Let's say we are playing Oakland....who do you prefer to pitch and how far do you go to set up the rotation for that likelihood?

The more I think about, the more i think it should be Lackey or Peavy (in that order)

Don't think only cause smoke.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to S5's comment:

These are nice thougths, but the fact is we're not going to have much say in who pitches the first game.  These WC races are going to go right down to the wire and every contending team is going to be trying to manipulate their rotation just to get a WC spot. 

IF they're fortunate enough to get a WC spot they're then going to have to face the decision of who pitches the WC game on how much rest, and after THAT they playoffs start against a division winner - who's going to be using their TOR guy.  Which gives them a whole new pitching problem.

This whole 2-WC thing is making it virtually impossible for a WC team to have much success in the playoffs.  That's why the Sox HAVE to win their division if they have any plans of going deep into the playoffs, and they should have it wrapped up early so they can get their rotation set. 

Teams that do that are going to be in good shape, and teams that don't do that.... well... they should be making tee-times.     

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I agree it is important to win and do it early.....ideally the Sox have the Division wrapped up before they go on the road for the last 6 games of the season.....Having 18 of 24 at home before those 6 games should help them do that

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

interesting scenario

but I think you go with your best

you really don't want to get into any of the sudden death games unless you have to

then again like tom-nev and others have suggested

at this time there doesn't seem to be  a clear cut ranking of the sox rotation

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sandy Koufax

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Curt Schilling.  I'm sure he can use some extra money (I know, I know, it was a bad joke.)  Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If this happens, the tiebreaker is record in head-to-head games, not a one game playoff.  Thr Sox have already clinched the tiebreakrr vs Tampa.  They need 3 wins vs  NYY and 6 vs Balt to clinch.

The only way they have a one game playoff for the division is if both wild card teams have better records. In which case, the loser of the one game is done...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

If this happens, the tiebreaker is record in head-to-head games, not a one game playoff.  Thr Sox have already clinched the tiebreakrr vs Tampa.  They need 3 wins vs  NYY and 6 vs Balt to clinch.

The only way they have a one game playoff for the division is if both wild card teams have better records. In which case, the loser of the one game is done...

[/QUOTE]

Two-way tie for the division or wildcard [edit source | editbeta] Main article:  One-game playoff

One game tie-breakers are played between teams tied for a division championship or the second wildcard berth in either league. These games are played the day after the season was scheduled to end. Home-field advantage for these games is determined using the rules listed below ("Breaking Ties Without Playoff Games").

From the implementation of the wild card in 1994 through to the end of the 2011 season, two teams tied for a division would not play a tie-breaker if their records were better than all non-division winners in the league - in that case, the tie was broken using the rules listed below ("Breaking Ties Without Playoff Games"). This scenario happened in the 2005 Major League Baseball season when the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox tied for first place in the American League East - the Yankees were awarded the division title on account of a better head-to-head record against the Red Sox, while Boston received the wild card.

However, with the implementation of a second wild card berth and wild card game beginning in the 2012 season, the non-division winner with the best record in the league now faces the possibility of elimination on the first day of the postseason. As a result, the tie-breaking rules were changed so that two teams tied for a division championship must play a tie breaking game even if both teams have already qualified for the postseason. The team losing the tie-break would qualify for a wildcard berth only if its regular season record is one of the two best records of teams from each league that are not division champions. If the losing team's regular season record is tied with a team outside the division for the second wild card spot, a second tie-break would be held between the team losing the division championship tie-break and the team outside the division with the same record to determine the final wild card spot.

Starting in 2012, two wildcard teams are selected from each league. If these two teams are tied with each other (and with no other teams) at the end of the regular season, no tie-breaking game is played. Home field advantage in the Wild Card Showdown is awarded according to tie-breakers outlined in the next section.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to S5's comment:

These are nice thougths, but the fact is we're not going to have much say in who pitches the first game.  These WC races are going to go right down to the wire and every contending team is going to be trying to manipulate their rotation just to get a WC spot. 

IF they're fortunate enough to get a WC spot they're then going to have to face the decision of who pitches the WC game on how much rest, and after THAT they playoffs start against a division winner - who's going to be using their TOR guy.  Which gives them a whole new pitching problem.

THIS.  1 MILLION PERCENT.

if you are fighting for one of the last playoff spots you will be using your rotation right up until the end.  the one game playoff would be pitched by whomever's turn it is.  as for not "wasting 2 starters" in a 1 game playoff game?  be real... a 1 game playoff game is "all hands on deck".  it doesnt matter what shape your rotation is for the next series if you cannot win that game.

if for some reason all pitchers on the roster had their 4 days of rest i would choose:

Lester vs Bal & Cle

Peavy vs Oak & TB

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Two-way tie for the division or wildcard [edit source | editbeta] Main article:  One-game playoff

One game tie-breakers are played between teams tied for a division championship or the second wildcard berth in either league. These games are played the day after the season was scheduled to end. Home-field advantage for these games is determined using the rules listed below ("Breaking Ties Without Playoff Games").

From the implementation of the wild card in 1994 through to the end of the 2011 season, two teams tied for a division would not play a tie-breaker if their records were better than all non-division winners in the league - in that case, the tie was broken using the rules listed below ("Breaking Ties Without Playoff Games"). This scenario happened in the 2005 Major League Baseball season when the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox tied for first place in the American League East - the Yankees were awarded the division title on account of a better head-to-head record against the Red Sox, while Boston received the wild card.

However, with the implementation of a second wild card berth and wild card game beginning in the 2012 season, the non-division winner with the best record in the league now faces the possibility of elimination on the first day of the postseason. As a result, the tie-breaking rules were changed so that two teams tied for a division championship must play a tie breaking game even if both teams have already qualified for the postseason. The team losing the tie-break would qualify for a wildcard berth only if its regular season record is one of the two best records of teams from each league that are not division champions. If the losing team's regular season record is tied with a team outside the division for the second wild card spot, a second tie-break would be held between the team losing the division championship tie-break and the team outside the division with the same record to determine the final wild card spot.

Starting in 2012, two wildcard teams are selected from each league. If these two teams are tied with each other (and with no other teams) at the end of the regular season, no tie-breaking game is played. Home field advantage in the Wild Card Showdown is awarded according to tie-breakers outlined in the next section.

[/QUOTE]

This is what I thought, thanks for verifying.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

This is what I thought, thanks for verifying.

interesting /disappointing that notin thought

that none of us would of picked up on that

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

If it's the Sox & Rays, I think you go all out, especially if they have the best records in the AL, because if the Rays burn Price & Moore in playin games, it's going to be very hard for them to win the ALDS.

It's an interesting scenario, because it puts a division leader at a dis-advantage for the next series, and possibly the playoffs.  For us, it's not a big deal, but you take away a Kershaw, Darvish or Wainwright from a team with the best record in their league, that's a gift to an opponent for simply playing in a weaker division.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Jake Peavy, next question

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Dempster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Top #1s:

DET Scherzer

TBR Price

BOS Lester

TEX Darvish

OAK Colon

Top #2s:

DET Sanchez

TBR Moore

BOS Buchholz

TEX Holland

OAK Parker

Top#3s

DET Verlander

BOS Peavy

TEX  Garza

TBR Archer

OAK Straily

Top #4s

DET Fister/Porcello

BOS Lackey/Doubront (Dempster)

TBR Hellickson/Hernandez (Cobb)

TEX Tepesch/M Perez/Ogando (Grimm)

OAK Milone

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

If its in Fenway Lackey, 9 starts this year in Fenway he is 5-2, 2.07 era there. AL's second best mark at home.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Dempster.

LOL

There's one in every crowd...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Wright?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Wakefield.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

Wright?

[/QUOTE]

NOW, you're talking...!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You don't look past the play-in game. You go with the best guy that is rested enough to pitch.

Lester may end up earning the top slot, but to me, Peavy is the man at this moment.

Buchholz has a lot of proving to do to get to the top. I'm not sure there's enough starts left to show he's "the man".

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

One game playoff be damned, Who starts game one of the division series?  Let Tampa figure out who will start the one game against oakland

At this point I trust Lacks Lester or Peavy

Sections
Shortcuts