One Idea Among Many

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: One Idea Among Many

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I want McCarthy, Marcum, and Anderson pitching for the Red Sox in 2013.

If we were able to do this, we could trade 3 of Doubront, Morales, Aceves & Tazawa as part of packages to land J. Upton, or Mike Morse, or Alex Gordon, or...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I want McCarthy, Marcum, and Anderson pitching for the Red Sox in 2013.

If we were able to do this, we could trade 3 of Doubront, Morales, Aceves & Tazawa as part of packages to land J. Upton, or Mike Morse, or Alex Gordon, or...

Good morning moonslav59.   :)

If Boston can get all three pitchers, then I will be a very happy fan.  

Boston is going to need great starting pitchers especially with the AL East being very competitive in 2013 (thanks to Toronto and their "WIN-NOW!!!" moves lately.  LOL).  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Another name that might work out and should be available is Ublado Jimenez, as he is entering his option year, and that usually helps.  It also depends on how Cleveland feels about him.   (My scale gave him a 4.43ERA and 1.50WHIP)

Over the past 3 seasons, he has been a better pitcher than Marcum and is younger.  He has done some heading in the wrong direction, however.   But at his age, a turnaround is still more than possible...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I'd much prefer my earlier plans that improved us for 2013, but made us serious contenders for 2014 and beyond, namely by trading Ellsbury and other FAs to be, hoever, here is an option that makes us stronger 2013 contenders though not favorites by any means:

Sign: Napoli ($56M/4)

Sign: Marcum ($27M/3)

Sign: McCarthy ($22M/3)

Trade: Aceves & Gomez for Mike Morse

Trade: Morales, Bogaerts, Cecchini, de la Cruz & Vinicio for J. Upton

2013 Sox:

C: Salty/Ross (Napoli at NL parks)

1B: Napoli (Papi at NL parks)/Morse

2B: Pedey

3B: Middlebrooks

SS: Iggy

IF: Ciriaco

LF: Morse/Nava or Kalish

CF: Ellsbury

RF: J Upton/Sweeney

DH: Papi

Line-ups:

Vs RHPs: Ells/Pedey/Papi/Upton/Napoli/Morse/Midd/Salty/Iggy

Vs LHPs: Ells/Pedey/Napoli/Upton/Papi/Morse/Midd/Ross/Iggy

Rotation: Buch, Lester, Marcum, McCarthy, Lackey

LR/Spot start: Tazawa, Mortensen

Closer/SR: Bailey, Breslow, Miller, Melancon, Bard, Hill/Atchison/others

Again, I like my previous plans better, but thought I'd post this as a framework for discussion for those thinking we can make a strong push in 2013.

If the Sox intend to bring down the ERA from 12th, having Salty behind the plate will not be the recipe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I'd much prefer my earlier plans that improved us for 2013, but made us serious contenders for 2014 and beyond, namely by trading Ellsbury and other FAs to be, hoever, here is an option that makes us stronger 2013 contenders though not favorites by any means:

2013 Sox:

Line-ups:

Again, I like my previous plans better, but thought I'd post this as a framework for discussion for those thinking we can make a strong push in 2013.

The Article in the globe today regarding Cherington plans is to make the Sox competitors long term not over night fix.

1B
    Hosne
    r from KC for trade for Doubront and Kalish keep Sands on back up duties for 1st base

2B obvisiously Ped is working on an extension to be our permanent 2nd base man for years

SS Iggy in his sophmore year will need to show he is worthy and hitting will need work

3B Middlebrooks another sophmore player with great potential for the next Sox power hitter

Catcher Ross Salty and Lavarn (could be in the minors after spring training and i am fine with that to work on his batting)

LF sign Cody Ross to a 3 year deal because he already familiar with the boston surroundings

CF Ellsbury let the arbitration contract finalise and go from there

RF good position for our Sweeney Sands and Nava

Our Starting rotation Lester see if he can rebound from a bad year i think he can

Bucholtz  dependable pitcher

Mccarthy sign him to 3 year deal

Marcum sign him to a 3 year deal

Lackey will respond in time after his surgery

Bullpen  some many options 2 potential starters Morales or Acevez

Closers Bailey and see what the cost will be on FA Brandon Brexton

Acthison Melancon Hill Carpenter Tazawa Breskow Miller Bard

Grady Sizemore minor league deal if possible if he can rebound from injury this will be good gamble ready for call up

Get a veteran 1B ie 1 year contract Berkman i know i will get a reponse from this

Veteran bullpen Jason Frasor ex jay coaches are very familiar with him along with Marcum

Give the infield back up role to Ciriaco to see he capable and he will get more major league time filling in the three spots.

Why go out disrupt the whole team when there is potential already there and we need to know that our coaching staff is new and familiar with one another. I think this coaching will improve the Red Sox team in very positive way.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If the Sox intend to bring down the ERA from 12th, having Salty behind the plate will not be the recipe.

His CERA improved by over a half a run after April 25, 2012.

He's still 2-3 years younger than VTek was when he became a CERA stud.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

That is why i would like to see Ross being the starting catcher. I rather have a defensive catcher good with pitchers and his good pick off ratio. I am not sure about the bases stolen against Sox was pretty high last year correct if i am wrong, if the answer is yes controlling base stealing will also help ERA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

That is why i would like to see Ross being the starting catcher. I rather have a defensive catcher good with pitchers and his good pick off ratio. I am not sure about the bases stolen against Sox was pretty high last year correct if i am wrong, if the answer is yes controlling base stealing will also help ERA.

Salty's improvement is why you want Ross? I don't get it.

mark my words: Ross will see an decrease in his CS% with the Sox. It goes with the territory.

Shoppach went from 41% to 34% coming to Boston.

VMart was in the 30% area until the year before he came to Boston, then he went to 22 & 21% the 2 years here.

Lava went from 32% in the minors to 13% for the Sox.

Stop blaming catchers for the fact that our pitchers and managers don't care to much about holding runners close to the base.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

we need a #1 or #2....Marcum and McCarthy aren't it.

if we pick up either or both of those guys...we will be conceding a bridge year next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

if we pick up either or both of those guys...we will be conceding a bridge year next year.

I agree, but they are a step in the right direction.

I'd like to see us trade for Brett Anderson and then sign 1 of McCrathy or Marcum.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Given that Salty made his ML debut at 22 and Vtek at 25, that means it only took Tek 4 years to become a CERA stud. Salty has had 6.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

I agree, but they are a step in the right direction.

I'd like to see us trade for Brett Anderson and then sign 1 of McCrathy or Marcum.

First off there are no #1 or #2's available in free agency and probably in trade...Anderson might be a #2 but is he even available?

Someone mentioned that McCarthy is injury prone, and Ellsbury is too...but maybe if we can keep balls from hitting McCarthy on the head and keep players from dropping all their weight on Ellsbury's body maybe they'd be healthly players more often.

Lastly, adding McCarthy or Marcum or Kuroda does not mean bridge year, when you have a rotation with Lester and Buchholz who can be #1 or #2 if they can return to 2011 and prior form. Plus they could have another #2 if Lackey could return to his effectiveness with the Angels.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

2013 Sox:

Line-ups:

I like a lot of the moves moon but also see you have Salty and Iggy in the lineup.  I think ST and all of next season will tell us if Iggy is big league material but as of now it should be Ciriaco.  If we don't intend on giving Lav a shot who has had a much better AAA career, Iggy certainly doesn't deserve it when his defensive numbers are even close in comparison to Ciriaco.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

2013 Sox:

Line-ups:

I like a lot of the moves moon but also see you have Salty and Iggy in the lineup.  I think ST and all of next season will tell us if Iggy is big league material but as of now it should be Ciriaco.  If we don't intend on giving Lav a shot who has had a much better AAA career, Iggy certainly doesn't deserve it when his defensive numbers are even close in comparison to Ciriaco.

Ciriaco was a nice "feel good story" last year, and he's clearly the illegitimate son of Merton Hanks, but the only way he is the opening day shortstop next year is if the starter gets injured in pre-game warmups. He's a nice utility player, but the Sox aren't going to go into 2013 with him as the starting shortstop. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

2013 Sox:

Line-ups:

Ciriaco was a nice "feel good story" last year, and he's clearly the illegitimate son of Merton Hanks, but the only way he is the opening day shortstop next year is if the starter gets injured in pre-game warmups. He's a nice utility player, but the Sox aren't going to go into 2013 with him as the starting shortstop. 

We have it in writing jasko as you have mine.  It won't be Iggy unless he has an amazing spring.  Ciriaco was as highly rated a prospect at SS in the Pirates organization and may just surprise you like he did notin last season who said Pedro wouldn't cut it.  Iggy is younger but Ciriaco will have more of an impact in our lineup.  Otherwise we should trade for a SS. 

This isn't little league where you can keep throwing low OB guys in the lineup just so every kid plays.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ciriaco had over 3,000 PAs in the minors with an OBP of under .300.

There's a better chance that Ciriaco's 2012 was a bit of a fluke than a sign that he has blossomed late.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Ciriaco had over 3,000 PAs in the minors with an OBP of under .300.

There's a better chance that Ciriaco's 2012 was a bit of a fluke than a sign that he has blossomed late.

moon, you have been on this board a long enough to know some kids play better at the big league level where it counts.  Iggy isn't ready for the bigs just because he makes a few incredible plays.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

moon, you have been on this board a long enough to know some kids play better at the big league level where it counts.  Jacoby didn't exactly tear up the baseball either until he hit the bigs.  Hopefully he can stay healthy this season and repeat 2011.  Iggy is not ready for the bigs, he has had his short looks and none have been impressive enough to label him a starter.

Jacoby Ellsbury, who was called up at age 23, has a minor league career line of .313/.390/.426/.816 and an MLB career line of .297/.349/.442/.791.

At age 27, Pedro Ciriaco has a minor league career line of .272/.299/.357/.656.

Who are the "kids [who] play better at the big league level where it counts"? That is a rare player indeed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

moon, you have been on this board a long enough to know some kids play better at the big league level where it counts.  Jacoby didn't exactly tear up the baseball either until he hit the bigs.  Hopefully he can stay healthy this season and repeat 2011.  Iggy is not ready for the bigs, he has had his short looks and none have been impressive enough to label him a starter.

Jacoby Ellsbury, who was called up at age 23, has a minor league career line of .313/.390/.426/.816 and an MLB career line of .297/.349/.442/.791.

Who are the "kids [who] play better at the big league level where it counts"? That is a rare player indeed.

Hill, nobody is going to change my mind about Ciriaco unless he tails off like Nava.  If he keeps improving at the big league level it speaks for itself, if not then maybe we can look at his minor league numbers with merit.  Some kids take advantage of their chance and some don't, or simply don't get one because people look at minor league stats a bit too much. 

I will also be happy to research minor league/major league stats for you when time allows.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Hill, nobody is going to change my mind about Ciriaco unless he tails off like Nava.  If he keeps improving at the big league level it speaks for itself, if not then maybe we can look at his minor league numbers with merit.  Some kids take advantage of their chance and some don't, or simply don't get one because people look at minor league stats a bit too much. 

I will also be happy to research minor league/major league stats for you when time allows.  

Pedro only has 312 career ML PAs. His ML OBP is .319.

I hope he has made great strides that will continue, but my guess is he will end up under .300 eventually.

Also...

July  .348/.357/.449/.806

Aug  .322/.337/.460/.497

Sep  .233/.269/.291/.560

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I seriously doubt we win in 2013 without a big addition (like Upton) or two (like Anderson as well).

We lose Ellsbury after 2013, and counting on 3-4 prospects becomming the next Lynn, Rice & Burleson is asking for too much. I love many of our kids, but we are not going to seriously compete in the next few years with out ay least 2-3 major acquisitions over the next year or two.

2014:

C Ross/Lava

1B Gomez/Sands/T Shaw

2B Pedey/Ciriaco

3B Midd/Cecchini

SS Bogaerts/Iggy/Marrrero/Vinicio/Lin

LF Nava/Linares

CF Bradley/Kalish

RF Sweeney/Brentz

DH Papi

Same staff as 2013 minus Breslow.

lots of potential here, but several of these kids are not going to meet our wishful expectations.

Lets see who we get this offseason. Im sure some additions will be made.

I agree, but there are few difference makers available like Justin U.

Sometimes, today's special is the least fresh item in the kitchen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In 2011, J. Upton, age 23, had 31 HR and an .898 OPS. His 2012 .355 OBP and 17 HR in the AZ/NL West market is simply a golden opportunity to acquire a player that has a lower stock value.

J. Upton has averaged over 150 games played in the last 2 seasons. That in and of itself carries value that few OF'ers of can deliver.

As someone else mentioned, you conveniently forgot 2012, the more recent year.

And over the past two seasons, let's compare two similar players.

• Upton   .284/.363/.481/.843 48 HRs and a OPS+ of 125 with a 247/122
    • Gordon .298/.372/.478/.850 37 HRs and a OPS+ of 133 with a 279/140, with 2 GGs

Except for the GGs, they are pretty much identical players.  The rumor was that KC was looking for Doubront, though I'd expect it cost more.  Explain, with real details, why I'd want to part with 3-4 top prospects instead of one good first-year player?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Except for the GGs, they are pretty much identical players.  The rumor was that KC was looking for Doubront, though I'd expect it cost more.  Explain, with real details, why I'd want to part with 3-4 top prospects instead of one good first-year player?

Where did you see a rumor that the Kansas City Royals were interested in Felix Doubront?

I agree ithat it would cost the Red Sox a great deal more for Alex Gordon, who ranks third among all outfielders in Wins Above Replacement* over the past two seasons (trailing only Ryan Braun and Andrew McCutchen).

* as reported at FanGraphs

Sections
Shortcuts