One Idea Among Many

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: One Idea Among Many

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As someone else mentioned, you conveniently forgot 2012, the more recent year.

I listed his 2012 numbers in the very comment you pasted in your comment, you big dope.

J. Upton, in AZ/NL has put up a virtual .900 OPS. All before he turned 25.

Gordon is nearly 30 years old and has a career .787 OPS. I understand you like him because he's not colored, but take off your blinders. The last thing the Red Sox need is anoter lefty OF'er. Gordon has a career .668 OPS v. LP. He's a platoon guy getting nearly 10M a year. He's a better fit in KC, that's for sure. The Red Sox need Doubrant, not that the Royals would do the deal to get rid of having to pay Gordon for the next 3 years.

[/QUOTE]

Upton has not put up a virtual .900 OPS in the NL.  He has a real OPS of .832.

He has a virtual .900 OPS in AZ, but that just means he is only .732 on the road.

Gordon is only 28.  The difference in age only means something to me if they were older and on the decline.  I do not see a material difference in contrcts ending at age 31/32 and one ending in 27.

The career OPS for Gordon doesn't bother me since he has had two very good years B2B.  The splits may or may not be an issue.  He has a .740 over the past two years v lefties.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the black comment.  Was that your concession that you are unable to discuss anything of an intellectual component, and felt the need to resort to insults?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Their problem is they've done nothing to address the lack of an everyday RH slugging OF'er. 

We beat lefties far more often than we beat righties, so why do we need a RH slugging OF?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I want McCarthy, Marcum, and Anderson pitching for the Red Sox in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

If we were able to do this, we could trade 3 of Doubront, Morales, Aceves & Tazawa as part of packages to land J. Upton, or Mike Morse, or Alex Gordon, or...

[/QUOTE]

Moon---got to differ with you----you can trade any pen arm except Tazawa--to me he is the key to the staff especially with Bailey's history.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'd much prefer my earlier plans that improved us for 2013, but made us serious contenders for 2014 and beyond, namely by trading Ellsbury and other FAs to be, hoever, here is an option that makes us stronger 2013 contenders though not favorites by any means:

Sign: Napoli ($56M/4)

Sign: Marcum ($27M/3)

Sign: McCarthy ($22M/3)

Trade: Aceves & Gomez for Mike Morse

Trade: Morales, Bogaerts, Cecchini, de la Cruz & Vinicio for J. Upton

2013 Sox:

C: Salty/Ross (Napoli at NL parks)

1B: Napoli (Papi at NL parks)/Morse

2B: Pedey

3B: Middlebrooks

SS: Iggy

IF: Ciriaco

LF: Morse/Nava or Kalish

CF: Ellsbury

RF: J Upton/Sweeney

DH: Papi

Line-ups:

Vs RHPs: Ells/Pedey/Papi/Upton/Napoli/Morse/Midd/Salty/Iggy

Vs LHPs: Ells/Pedey/Napoli/Upton/Papi/Morse/Midd/Ross/Iggy

Rotation: Buch, Lester, Marcum, McCarthy, Lackey

LR/Spot start: Tazawa, Mortensen

Closer/SR: Bailey, Breslow, Miller, Melancon, Bard, Hill/Atchison/others

Again, I like my previous plans better, but thought I'd post this as a framework for discussion for those thinking we can make a strong push in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

I like a lot of the moves moon but also see you have Salty and Iggy in the lineup.  I think ST and all of next season will tell us if Iggy is big league material but as of now it should be Ciriaco.  If we don't intend on giving Lav a shot who has had a much better AAA career, Iggy certainly doesn't deserve it when his defensive numbers are even close in comparison to Ciriaco.

[/QUOTE]

Ciriaco was a nice "feel good story" last year, and he's clearly the illegitimate son of Merton Hanks, but the only way he is the opening day shortstop next year is if the starter gets injured in pre-game warmups. He's a nice utility player, but the Sox aren't going to go into 2013 with him as the starting shortstop. 

[/QUOTE]

We have it in writing jasko as you have mine.  It won't be Iggy unless he has an amazing spring.  Ciriaco was as highly rated a prospect at SS in the Pirates organization and may just surprise you like he did notin last season who said Pedro wouldn't cut it.  Iggy is younger but Ciriaco will have more of an impact in our lineup.  Otherwise we should trade for a SS. 

This isn't little league where you can keep throwing low OB guys in the lineup just so every kid plays.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, the Ciriaco Saga played out EXACTLY like I said it would.   Like many others before him, such as Nava or Bryan LaHair, he started off hot, most based on small sample sizes.  In August, when some afns were actually demanding he be signed to a long term lucrative contract, I wrote a length post about the illusion of Ciriaco's hitting numbers, how they were based on an absurdly high and unsustainable line drive rate and ridiculous amounts of luck on ground balls.   And as if Ciriaco read the post himself, he proceeded to go into an offensive tailspin.

Bottom line is really, only 2 people see this guy as an everyday major leaguer.  You, and his mom.   Clearly the Red Sox organization does not, as they are in talks with Stephen Drew, and it is extremely unlikely it is so that Drew can provide Ciriaco Insurance.

The Sox did clear out some of the utility INF logjam, leaving the role basically down to Pedro and Ivan DeJesus Jr., and likely with Ciriaco having the upper hand.  But do not expect more.  Hitters like Ciriaco who struggle all through the minors do NOT suddenly learn to hit at the MLB level.  They might have a little initial success, but then they all get found out.  "Hey look, this guy cannot hit a slide or any pitch inside" 

As went Nava and LaHair and many others before Pedro.

Any prospect status Ciriaco had is meaningless at this point.  He was regarded as a defensive standout all glove/not bat prospect in the Diamondbacks (not Pirates - that was later) organization.  Brent Lillibridge was a Baseball America Top 100 prospect once.  It did not get him a starting job, either.

Also, earler you mentioned Ciriaco's defensive numbers being far superior to Iglesias.  What numbers?

In 193 innings at SS, Iglesias posted a 49.8 UZR/150 last year.

In 95 innings at SS, Ciriaco posted a -2.0 UZR/150.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If the Sox intend to bring down the ERA from 12th, having Salty behind the plate will not be the recipe.

His CERA improved by over a half a run after April 25, 2012.

He's still 2-3 years younger than VTek was when he became a CERA stud.

[/QUOTE]

Given that Salty made his ML debut at 22 and Vtek at 25, that means it only took Tek 4 years to become a CERA stud. Salty has had 6.

[/QUOTE]

Tek was a ft starter shortly after arriving in MLB. Salty was played PT, switched to 1b, DH, C and never was given the chance to be a ft catcher with Texas because he wasnt an Allstar right out of the gate. Instead of working with him, they changed his position and played him sparringly.

Over the last couple years since coming to Boston he has got what he needed. What he shouldve had when he was 22-23 yrs old. He basically started at age 25, like tek did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

As someone else mentioned, you conveniently forgot 2012, the more recent year.

I listed his 2012 numbers in the very comment you pasted in your comment, you big dope.

J. Upton, in AZ/NL has put up a virtual .900 OPS. All before he turned 25.

Gordon is nearly 30 years old and has a career .787 OPS. I understand you like him because he's not colored, but take off your blinders. The last thing the Red Sox need is anoter lefty OF'er. Gordon has a career .668 OPS v. LP. He's a platoon guy getting nearly 10M a year. He's a better fit in KC, that's for sure. The Red Sox need Doubrant, not that the Royals would do the deal to get rid of having to pay Gordon for the next 3 years.

[/QUOTE]

Upton has not put up a virtual .900 OPS in the NL.  He has a real OPS of .832.

He has a virtual .900 OPS in AZ, but that just means he is only .732 on the road.

Gordon is only 28.  The difference in age only means something to me if they were older and on the decline.  I do not see a material difference in contrcts ending at age 31/32 and one ending in 27.

The career OPS for Gordon doesn't bother me since he has had two very good years B2B.  The splits may or may not be an issue.  He has a .740 over the past two years v lefties.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the black comment.  Was that your concession that you are unable to discuss anything of an intellectual component, and felt the need to resort to insults?

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding to this troll. I refuse to waste time with a "person" who cant carry a civil baseball conversation without accusing someone of being a racist. hes the lowest of the low and I have nothing further to say to him. Its not worth my time... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Every option I have seen on this board leads me to believe next season will be a building year at best.  No post season ticket for next year will be printed.  I myself would be excited if the younger players started producing and a few veterans plugged the holes to produce a solid team each night  This team simply has no ace and until one is found this team will go nowhere. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

We beat lefties far more often than we beat righties

A. You need to read how to lie with statistics, so you won't look so foolish

B. W/L and aggregate season unadjusted for venue stats such as "we beat lefties farm more than we beat righties is so weak it doesn't even rise to specious

C. A large portion of the season was minor league tryouts

D. Tipping points in games are not reflected in season long aggregate stats

[/QUOTE]

I like it better when you actually supply numbers.  I understand the injuries, and that they were somewhat lefty-orientated with Ellsbury and Papi, but v righties 43-68 (#28) and against lefties we were 26-25 (#16).  Injuries don't begin to explain that discrepancy.

Or think about it another way=if we added Hank Aaron and Willie Mays, and go 48-3 against legties, we'd have still missed the playoffs.

Or, if the injuries bother you that much, go back to 2011, where we were still only 57-50 v righties and 33-22 against lefties.  Even if we add righties, and absolutely slaughter lefties, it won't help since we get 110 starts v righties and only 52 against lefties

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree, but they are a step in the right direction.

I'd like to see us trade for Brett Anderson and then sign 1 of McCrathy or Marcum.

[/QUOTE]

Oakland needs a SS and have a surplus of good starting pitchers.

Cherington should have a Thanksgiving dinner with Billy Beane and work out a deal for Anderson.

Iglesias and two prospects for Anderson.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree, but they are a step in the right direction.

I'd like to see us trade for Brett Anderson and then sign 1 of McCrathy or Marcum.

[/QUOTE]

Oakland needs a SS and have a surplus of good starting pitchers.

Cherington should have a Thanksgiving dinner with Billy Beane and work out a deal for Anderson.

Iglesias and two prospects for Anderson.  

[/QUOTE]

They may not like Iggy, but if they insist on a ML ready SS, we could involve a 3rd team.

We can make it happen.

I still think this offer would get Anderson:

Tazawa (Perhaps the larger bay area Asian population adds to his value)

Lavarnway (The A's need a catcher/DH badly.) or Salty (and we pay part of his contract)

2 from: Iggy, Brentz, Nava, Sands, Gomez, Vinicio, or T. Lin

To me, this is overpay, but I'd go this high to get this kid. He's the real deal.