One More Trade to Make

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

One More Trade to Make

Cody Ross and John Lackey to the Giants for  Pitching Prospect Clayton Blackburn and Barry Zito. Giants get a former Post Season hero to replace Melky and Lackey should be better on the West Coast less pressure NL. 
    Change of scenary could help Zito but he is included because I am certain the Giants wouldn't take Lackey if they were still on the hook for the $20m owed Zito. Blackburn has a high ceiling and could be a top of rotation starter with a great k/BB ratio.

What do you think?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: One More Trade to Make

In Response to One More Trade to Make:
    [QUOTE]Cody Ross and John Lackey to the Giants for  Pitching Prospect Clayton Blackburn and Barry Zito. Giants get a former Post Season hero to replace Melky and Lackey should be better on the West Coast less pressure NL.  Change of scenary could help Zito but he is included because I am certain the Giants wouldn't take Lackey if they were still on the hook for the $20m owed Zito. Blackburn has a high ceiling and could be a top of rotation starter with a great k/BB ratio. What do you think?
    Posted by Leftfielder61[/QUOTE]

The Sox just dumped salary and you want them to take on a $20M/ has been?  I don't think so. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Max-
    Zito would us 20m for only 1 year, Lackey is owed $30.5m over 2years, so the Sox would save 10.5m but more important they get Lackey out of the clubhouse

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

The Giants will lose Zito in one year, why would they want to take Lackey on for three?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: One More Trade to Make:
    [QUOTE]The Giants will lose Zito in one year, why would they want to take Lackey on for three?
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]I think because they'd be getting Cody Ross, who's kind of a hero out here.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Cody Ross and John Lackey to the Giants for  Pitching Prospect Clayton Blackburn and Barry Zito. Giants get a former Post Season hero to replace Melky and Lackey should be better on the West Coast less pressure NL.  Change of scenary could help Zito but he is included because I am certain the Giants wouldn't take Lackey if they were still on the hook for the $20m owed Zito. Blackburn has a high ceiling and could be a top of rotation starter with a great k/BB ratio. What do you think?

Absolutely not.  First of all, we have only 6 weeks of control of Ross so that doesn't have much value.  Secondly, Zito seems to have been done for years.

I think there is a very good chance Lackey will be a strong 4/5 SP in 2013 and beyond, if not better. Look at the timeline:
    • 5 years, 2005-2009, of good-to-excellent performances from Lackey through age 30
    • Sox sign him in the winter of 2009...but with a SPECIFIC TJ clause in his contract (epic blunder to me, but it happened)
    • 2010? - worst season of his career
    • 2011?  Historically bad season by any standard
    • 2011 - TJ surgery!  What a surprise!

So he used to be pretty good....obviously was injured when signed, got worse but now has had surgery....a procedure that is generally successful these days.

I think his career 162-game average of 15-11, 4.10, 1.345 WHIP over 217 IP (perhaps that a bit high for 2013) is not unreasonable to hope for if you're not among the poultry/hops sect.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I am skeptical that Lackey can ever be an effective pitcher here in Boston. Too much has gone wrong here and its time to move forward. I agree with you Zito has little to nothing left, but taking him back allows us to get rid of Lackey and bring a prospect back. 

BTW I will miss Cody, he has been more than we could have hoped but he is not 
    the long term answer and is expendable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

There is only one trade they need to make: King Felix for Jake and John.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]There is only one trade they need to make: King Felix for Jake and John.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Giants need to invest in offense.... they already have good pitching.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Kudos for an interesting idea.  And with SF now trying to fend off the fortified Dodgers, they just might be desperate enough.  And I would do it if the opportunity came up and I were Ben C.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

The thing with Lackey is that even if he bounces back next year he's still a jackas.s.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One More Trade to Make : I think because they'd be getting Cody Ross, who's kind of a hero out here.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Unless Ross wants to sign with the Sox, all the Giants have to do is wait and sign him in the off-season. Taking on Lackey's contract wouldn't be necessarry let alone desirable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One More Trade to Make : Unless Ross wants to sign with the Sox, all the Giants have to do is wait and sign him in the off-season. Taking on Lackey's contract wouldn't be necessarry let alone desirable.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]The Giants are still in the hunt. Unlike us. And most San Franciscans hate the Dodgers as much as we hate the Yankees.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I'm not opposed to trading Ross, but can he help the Giants enough to justify them taking on Lackey, too? It would be great if they would take that albatross of Boston's hands. I can't see the Sox catching lightning in a bottle twice in one week, though, but we can hope.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I think, if the Giants decided to make this trade, it would be an indication that they think Lackey will be a more robust starter, for longer term and cheaper money than Zito, which would improve their team beyond Ross's tenure.

But, they would have to be desperate to make this move, since they would be giving up an excellent pitching prospect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]I think, if the Giants decided to make this trade, it would be an indication that they think Lackey will be a more robust starter, for longer term and cheaper money than Zito, which would improve their team beyond Ross's tenure. But, they would have to be desperate to make this move, since they would be giving up an excellent pitching prospect.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE].

Funny. I changed the tone of my last post because I didn't want to use the word desperate. But that's what they would be if they took Lackey. What if they did that and couldn't sign Ross. That would be a terrible deal.

Also, here's a disturbing thought... what if the Sox don't want to trade Lackey because of the way the team is currently constructed, and if there are no significant deals in the off-season, he could wind up  being a TOR guy for them. Hmm...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I think they would make the move if they didn't have to give up such a huge prospect.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One More Trade to Make : . Funny. I changed the tone of my last post because I didn't want to use the word desperate. But that's what they would be if they took Lackey. What if they did that and couldn't sign Ross. That would be a risky if not terrible deal. Also, here's a disturbing thought... what if the Sox don't want to trade Lackey because the way the team is currently constructed, and if there are no significant deals in the off-season, he could wind up  being a TOR guy for them. Hmm...
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]http://blog.masslive.com/redsoxmonster/2012/08/boston_red_sox_trade_for_rubby.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One More Trade to Make : . Funny. I changed the tone of my last post because I didn't want to use the word desperate. But that's what they would be if they took Lackey. What if they did that and couldn't sign Ross. That would be a risky if not terrible deal. Also, here's a disturbing thought... what if the Sox don't want to trade Lackey because the way the team is currently constructed, and if there are no significant deals in the off-season, he could wind up  being a TOR guy for them. Hmm...
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

Well, then, the true fans will just have to be thankful. 

The reality is that the Sox's rotation is VEEERRRYY thin next season.  If Lackey could become a trustworthy #3 behind Lester and Buchholz that would be amazing.  With Doubront, Morales and maybe Aceves rounding out the rotation, they might be a contender for that 3rd WC.

Just maybe the message that needed to be sent has been sent and received.  Lackey is well liked in the clubhouse, supposedly, maybe he really is not the problem all assume he is.  A fan can hope.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One More Trade to Make : http://blog.masslive.com/redsoxmonster/2012/08/boston_red_sox_trade_for_rubby.html
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Nice article. It would be great if he can live up to the potential that many say he has. It would be even better if he can step into the major league rotation and be a solid starter. Realistically, though, I think he will spend next season in the minors. He'll be one to watch for sure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Man!  Am I glad some of the guys on here aren't the new GM.  Yes!  Lackey needs to go.  We will find a buyer for him in the off season.  For now?  The rest of the season??  He needs to be told to stay away from the team.  Keep on his training program.  Work out all day long....  Just stay clear of the team, & nobody gets hurt. 

:)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.   yes!  We're going to have to eat a good deal of the contract.  I can live with that!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts