One of the Sox's biggest decisions for next year is solving the RF problem - some options.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

One of the Sox's biggest decisions for next year is solving the RF problem - some options.

Option 1 - Keep it in house let Reddick or Kalish win the job.

Option 2 - Find a Rh platoon for Reddick or Kalish.  Good luck.  I'm interested in hearing some possibilities.  I'll throw out Marlon Byrd.

Option 3 - Free Agent - not much there though: Beltran and Ludwick are two possible as I'd prefer someone who can hit Rh and help balance line-up out.

Option 4  - Trade - Carlos Quintan - other ideas?

Option 5 - Mega trade - Kemp; Stanton.

* Obviously a lot of factors: budget, Papi, other teams' interests.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Re: One of the Sox's biggest decisions for next year is solving the RF problem - some options.

It's Quentin not Quintan.  Florida would never trade Stanton when he is still under their control for so long.  The only big splash thing that may happen is that Ethier may decide to come over after next year since he and Pedroia are BFFs.  Until then it's in-house, which is fine w/ me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Re: One of the Sox's biggest decisions for next year is solving the RF problem - some options.

Option 6: Resign Drew

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Mike Aviles

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I don't think we have the farm to get Kemp.

We will likely monitor his situation as he appraoches free agency. If the Dodgers can just sell the team and get some financial stability they can easily afford him in that market and would need a superstar.

I say Ells gets arb this winter (after turning down a fair Weaver like extension). After next winter if he and Kemp are both free agents we can offer them the same type of cash and pick one of them.

We can afford two 20 million OFers if after 2013 we have Middlebrooks, Lavarnway and 2 of our plethera of cheapo Ofers all in the bigs.

If Ells turns down the extension and we get Kemp, we can trade him (if we signed a veteran like Beltran for 2 years) or keep him (if we just have kids at 500k on the roster) and get the compensation picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

We have a lot of time to solve our percieved problem in RF for 2012...

Free Agent Outfielders...for 2012
    Bobby Abreu LAA *
    Rick Ankiel WAS
    Carlos Beltran NYM
    Milton Bradley SEA
    Pat Burrell SF
    Mike Cameron BOS
    Coco Crisp OAK
    Michael Cuddyer MIN
    Jack Cust SEA
    Johnny Damon TB
    David DeJesus OAK
    J.D. Drew BOS
    Kosuke Fukudome CHC
    Jonny Gomes CIN
    Gabe Gross OAK
    Vladimir Guerrero BAL
    Scott Hairston NYM
    Willie Harris NYM
    Raul Ibanez PHI
    Conor Jackson OAK
    Andruw Jones NYY
    Austin Kearns CLE
    Jason Kubel MIN
    Ryan Ludwick SD
    Hideki Matsui OAK
    Nate McLouth ATL *
    Jason Michaels HOU
    Laynce Nix WAS
    Magglio Ordonez DET
    Juan Pierre CWS
    Juan Rivera TOR
    Cody Ross SF
    Grady Sizemore CLE *
    Matt Stairs WAS
    Nick Swisher NYY *
    Marcus Thames LAD
    Josh Willingham OAK

Those highlighted are guys that might be a fit...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Quentin we could get but he plays pretty bad RF defense. Our defense would actually be better with him in LF, Crawford in CF and Ells in RF.... but that would just annoy our two existing players.

Would Beltran come here for the 2 years/15 million we gave Cameron? 1 year at around what we were giving Drew/Papi (12-14) with an option at 7-9 that vests if he makes 125 starts? That would be his market value. He loves the NL so, so nay 3/24 up to 3/33 deal from the NL would likely put us out of the running.

I would NOT give him more than 2 years. He does crush lefties (based on 3 year splits) and with a cheap 500k guy like Reddick as our 4th OFer we could start Beltran vs. all lefties.

If we then traded Ellsbury and signed Kemp we could move Beltran into a CF platoon for a year before a kid grabbed the job full-time in 2014.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Agree on Beantowne's highlighted guys

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I like the mega-trade option.  Ellsbury's value will be at an all-time high - use him to get some super prospects from contending teams, and send them in a package with our own to get an Upton, Stanton or McCutchen.  Not only does it make us younger and more balanced, but it makes the Crawford signing look smart in retrospect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What is Ellsbury's value if he is a free agent in 2 years? The return certainly isn't Stanton, Upton or McCutchen.
    I have no interest in Beltran or Ludwick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: One of the Sox's biggest decisions for next year is solving the RF problem - some options.:
    [QUOTE]What is Ellsbury's value if he is a free agent in 2 years? The return certainly isn't Stanton, Upton or McCutchen. I have no interest in Beltran or Ludwick.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

What's Felix Hernandez's value if he's a free agent in 3 years?  To a team that would sign and extend him, I'd say pretty high.  How about getting Teheran and Kimbrel from the Braves for Ellsbury, and packaging them along with Brentz and Weiland.  I'll bet that gets any one of the three.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Would love to see Willingham, he is a very under the radar player who really has turned it on as of late.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: One of the Sox's biggest decisions for next year is solving the RF problem - some options.:
    [QUOTE]Would love to see Willingham, he is a very under the radar player who really has turned it on as of late.
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]

He hits for a low avg and his barely any better vs. lefties than righties

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

don't think we have the farm to get Kemp.

Kid, you don't know what you are talking about, as usual. You were slobbering over Tex, calling for Agon in 2010, then claiming Agon would stay in San Diego and they would demand a "ransom" to trade him.

Kemp wants out of LA and is making standard "I want to stay in LA" to get them bidding high and make a big market. He's a FA in one year, and will cost around 10M or more to a team that has zero chance of contending in 2012. Kemp can be had for 2012 trade and the Red Sox remain one of few teams who can afford to extend Kemp.  

We will likely monitor his situation as he appraoches free agency.
     if the Dodgers can just sell the team and get some financial stability they can easily afford him in that market and would need a superstar.

Are you an infant. Kemp isn't monitored, he's a known market sale who is on every large market dim bulbed gm. 

say Ells gets arb this winter (after turning down a fair Weaver like extension).

Theo isn't going to offer any weaver like extension, you idiot. See Crawford. Theo is lying about serious attempts to try to sign Ellsbury beyond FA.

After next winter if he and Kemp are both free agents we can offer them the same type of cash and pick one of them

Ellsbury isn't a FA until a year past Kemp. And it doesn't work that way. No way to "pick one" when:

1. Dodgers will solicit trade market for Kemp  
    2. Even if Dodgers don't pull the trade trigger, mistake, FA isn't about picking. FA competition for Kemp will be keener than trade and extension market
    3. Only a fool would even consider picking Ellsbury with Crawford, even if a FA could be "picked". Draft picks are picks. Even the Yankees can't pick FA, but unlike Red Sox, can outbid any team.
    4. CBA is not in place that guarantees draft compensation, and Dodgers can do better that by far
    5. No guarantee that Ellsbury obtains type A status, despite euphoria over career year after Agon came over
    6. Crawford is better than Ellsbury, despite 2011, and despite the fact that Theo was a fool for buying long on Crawford wheelchair. No doubt, his plans were to trade Ellsbury, and if he has a lick of sense he will do so and not double his mistake of career year in a bubble fools gold. He should have traded for a star young slugging high career ops v. lhp long before now, and moved the overloaded farm line on younger lefty chippers. Instead he's a laughing stock for paying Crawford 20M a year when Ellsbury is still here. Mike Aviles after flailing is comical. 
    7. Only way to cut his Crawford mistake is to try and capture value by dealing Ellsbury 2 years of control away while media and most red sox fans think he's better than Agon. Perhaps there is a Gm as stupid as Theo was on Crawford. Let's hope so.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I can't see the Sox making an offseason for RFer......the cost benefit of going with Reddick/Kalish frees them up to address other concerns/players. That said, it is still 2011 and alot of these decisions will be dependant on whether we win the WS or not. The Sox probably wouldnt admit that but with a WS win, they know there would be a lot of good will with the fan base for next year, so they would have to make a big offseason splash......if they do not win the Series, then they may have to make a big acquistion to compliment a team that has win now ability.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

getting rid of drew pretty much solves the RF  problem.

let's pray that theo doesn't sign a FA to replace him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

I hate all the trade Els talk.  I was willing to package him last year for Upton, but now he's untouchable.  Boras is in the inner circle of hell, but I'd rather get another couple of years out of Els, enjoy it, and then say goodbye if we can't afford him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

but now he's untouchable

Only if you follow Crawford pinciple of 2010.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Josh Reddick and Ryan Kalish will get their chances finally.  Opening day starter will depend on how they do in spring training.  Darnell McDonald will stick around in case we need righthanded batter for southpaws if both Josh and Ryan struggle vs lefties. 

Bigger issue for Sox is starting rotation.  Dice-K is done, Big John too inconsistent, Andrew Miller possible non tendered after the season, Aceves needs to be in bullpen, Tim Wakefield goner after getting 200 wins..

We need a solid starter backing up Clay next year.  Who do we consider???

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One of the Sox's biggest decisions for next year is solving the RF problem - some options. : What's Felix Hernandez's value if he's a free agent in 3 years?  To a team that would sign and extend him, I'd say pretty high.  How about getting Teheran and Kimbrel from the Braves for Ellsbury, and packaging them along with Brentz and Weiland.  I'll bet that gets any one of the three.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]
    Kyle Weiland?

Do you realize that Weiland is older than Justin Upton, Andrew McCutchen AND Mike Stanton? Even Bryce Brentz is older than Stanton.

The Braves won't trade away six years of a 20-year-old top pitching prospect and five years of baseball's top closer this season for two years of Jacoby Ellsbury. Brentz and Weiland bring little to the table when you're talking about Upton, McCutchen and Stanton.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One of the Sox's biggest decisions for next year is solving the RF problem - some options. : Kyle Weiland? Do you realize that Weiland is older than Justin Upton, Andrew McCutchen AND Mike Stanton? Even Bryce Brentz is older than Stanton. The Braves won't trade away six years of a 20-year-old top pitching prospect and five years of baseball's top closer this season for two years of Jacoby Ellsbury. Brentz and Weiland bring little to the table when you're talking about Upton, McCutchen and Stanton.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I wasn't suggesting Weiland would be the centerpiece :)

If you could dangle to a small-market team a cost-controlled potential ace, 2 and 3 starter, plus a replacement for the player you are taking, I would think they would have to listen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Not that it will happen, but why isn't Swisher a good fit.  Switch hitter with power and a pretty good arm in RF, IMO.

Don't count out Alex Hassan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

forget upton, mccutchen, and stanton. not happening. kemp is the only guy we could get because the dodgers are a mess and have no hope of contending next year. kemp is arb eligable for 2012 and the hits the free agent market the year after. ellsbury is having a huge year and his value will be at an all time high. obviously i would love to keep ells and add kemp but i dont know if we have the pieces to make that happen and that would not fix the crawford problem. as i mentioned on another thread, trading ellsbury as the centerpiece for kemp would make sense for both teams. the sox would get the right handed bat they need and the dodgers would get an allstar caliber replacement for kemp who is under team control longer. the sox would then be able to move crawford to lead off and have kemp hit behind agonz followed by youk and papi. makes sense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Have to agree with your logic redsoxpride.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've always been a big McCutchen fan, but I'm not sure if we have the pieces they'd want for him.

Here's a name...

Hanley Ramirez as an OF'er:  

:$15M, 13:$15.5M, 14:$16M

It's time for the Marlins to think "salary dump".

Sections
Shortcuts