One pitcher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

One pitcher

Detroit's Verlander is showing what a difference one great arm can make.  Great in the season, greater still so far in the playoffs, getting 2 of Detroit's 3 wins v. Oakland.  9 shutout inngs last night.  Bigger, I think, than Schilling in 2004 or Beckett in 2007 (or 2001 or that matter), but we will have to see what happens in the ALCS.  Pedro was like that for awhile, but wasn't as strong or durable.  Clemens was as good--better--but didn't have a good enough team behind him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: One pitcher

In the regular season Verlander led MLB (not just the AL) in innings pitched and strikeouts and finished 3d in ERA.  And he was better last year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

In the regular season Verlander led MLB (not just the AL) in innings pitched and strikeouts and finished 3d in ERA.  And he was better last year. 

Unfortunately, pitchers like Verlander don't grow on trees.

And, if we had a young pitcher like that, and he put up numbers like Verlander did in his rookie

season in 2005 or 2008, the wannabe GMs here would want him traded or released.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Ummmm, nobody around here has been itching to trade ANY pitching away since Arroyo was given away because we "had too much pitching".

Verlander is a thowback. His MVP year he averaged 7-1/3 innings per start all season. THAT is an ace. He is usually around 10k per 9IP, doesn't walk many people, and I've seen him reach back for upper 90s, sometimes triple digits at the END of a game.

There is no equal to him in baseball right now, not even close to me. If he played in NY or Boston he would get a LOT more attention.

But, max. Bigger than Schilling in 2004? C'mon man, trying to insult the guy? He doesn't carry any gut like Schilling did...

;]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Ummmm, nobody around here has been itching to trade ANY pitching away since Arroyo was given away because we "had too much pitching".

Verlander is a thowback. His MVP year he averaged 7-1/3 innings per start all season. THAT is an ace. He is usually around 10k per 9IP, doesn't walk many people, and I've seen him reach back for upper 90s, sometimes triple digits at the END of a game.

There is no equal to him in baseball right now, not even close to me. If he played in NY or Boston he would get a LOT more attention.

But, max. Bigger than Schilling in 2004? C'mon man, trying to insult the guy? He doesn't carry any gut like Schilling did...

;]

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/buchholz/100/6392407

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/if-the-red-sox-truly-care-about-winning-jon-lester-should-not-be-starting-any-more/100/6296646

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/lester-should-be-traded/100/6296590

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/get-lester-out-of-this-game-and-off-this-team-he-stinks/100/6296310

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

One pitcher can also just be one pitcher like Steve Carlton in 1972.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

So...you say if he was doing well, fans would want to "trade or release" him.

Exploring trade option for Buccholz is the nature of the game. Once upon a time Johan Santana, at the top of his game, almost cost Ellsbury AND Lester, or Buccholz.

The first thread is a poster asking what people think he(buccholz) is.

The second is a single post thread that got no traction because, obviously, people didn't agree.

The third: same author as the second, same number of responses - 0.

The 4th: different author, still no responses.

Did you actually look, or just grab headlines that fit your comment?

To throw a blanket statement like you did, and then use those as examples are incredibly weak.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

So...you say if he was doing well, fans would want to "trade or release" him.

Exploring trade option for Buccholz is the nature of the game. Once upon a time Johan Santana, at the top of his game, almost cost Ellsbury AND Lester, or Buccholz.

The first thread is a poster asking what people think he(buccholz) is.

The second is a single post thread that got no traction because, obviously, people didn't agree.

The third: same author as the second, same number of responses - 0.

The 4th: different author, still no responses.

Did you actually look, or just grab headlines that fit your comment?

To throw a blanket statement like you did, and then use those as examples are incredibly weak.

No, I'm saying if we had a rookie that started 0-2 with a 7.15 ERA, and then had a season like Verlander did in '08, when he had a 11-17 record and an ERA of 4.84, there would be a number of fans her that would want him gone.

It's not that hard.

You want to pretend otherwise? Go right ahead...

A blanket statement would be something like "nobody".

You were wrong, you'll live...

If you'd said nobody with any sense wants any pitchers traded, I would've agreed with you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Detroit's Verlander is showing what a difference one great arm can make.  Great in the season, greater still so far in the playoffs, getting 2 of Detroit's 3 wins v. Oakland.  9 shutout inngs last night.  Bigger, I think, than Schilling in 2004 or Beckett in 2007 (or 2001 or that matter), but we will have to see what happens in the ALCS.  Pedro was like that for awhile, but wasn't as strong or durable.  Clemens was as good--better--but didn't have a good enough team behind him. 

I was thinking about that last night as I watched him pitch. Why don't the sox have someone like that? Why do so many other teams have great staffs, while ours is mediocre?

When you think about it, we haven't had a true ace since Pedro. Is our scouting that bad? Are Lester and Buchholz the best the farm can produce?

How can small market teams like the A's, Nats, and Rays find such great talent and we can't?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

I was thinking about that last night as I watched him pitch. Why don't the sox have someone like that? Why do so many other teams have great staffs, while ours is mediocre?

When you think about it, we haven't had a true ace since Pedro. Is our scouting that bad? Are Lester and Buchholz the best the farm can produce?

How can small market teams like the A's, Nats, and Rays find such great talent and we can't?

More quality draft picks, for starters...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Ali.......I'm asking the same question..........I think a big problem is in our Scouting Dept.........it needs a major overhaul the same as the medical did last year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

;]

I remember Theo trading Arroyo to the Reds for Willy Mo Pena. 

Fast forward to day, Arroyo is still pitching for the Reds and I have no idea where Pena is.  LOL
    *shaking my head*

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Too bad that the Red Sox could had him via trade four to five years ago when Verlander was on the trading rumor listing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Starters only go every fifth day, but great ones can really make a difference in those 33 starts, not including the postseason.  The problem of course is knowing which ones are not only great but will continue to be great. 

I agree Verlander is a throwback.

I also agree the Sox should invest in better scouts or should I say pitching scouts. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Having an ace is great in the playoffs, but the Tigers also were a bit lucky. How much would have Verlander helped the Tigers had they been in the AL East or AL West. Had the Tigers been in those divisions, they would have finished fourth and not even sniffed the playoffs.

Depth in the rotation is more important because it's hard to find true aces. And focusing on just one part -- having an ace or having a strong pitching staff -- can also be folly. Sure, the A's made the playoffs because of great pitching and defense, but look at the Rays. They have an Ace, they had a strong staff, but having no offense doomed them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Y'all are funny.

Detroit has beaten us twice in ERA+ in the last 19 years, and it's like, 'why can't we be more like the Tigers.

Verlander was the 2nd pick in the draft, and y'all are whining 'how come we never pick that high'?

Before this year, in 42 playoff IPs, Verlander allowed 26 ERs.  He was a terrible playoff pitcher.  2 good games against Oakland, and he's better Schilling in th eplayoffs?

Sections
Shortcuts