ONE PLAYER...YES, ONE...SCREWED UP THE FIRST HALF FOR THE REDSOX!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

ONE PLAYER...YES, ONE...SCREWED UP THE FIRST HALF FOR THE REDSOX!!

HIS NAME IS MIDDLEBROOKS!!  HE WAS COUNTED ON TO REGAIN FORM AT 3B AND THE PLATE, AND DIDN'T.  SO, MUCH OF THE REMAINING PLAN COULD NOT FIT TOGETHER,  COULDN'T KEEP BOGERTS AT SS, SO THEY WENT AND GOT A NOT READY DREW TO PLAY SS.  THAT COST TOO MUCH, AND DELAYED BOGERTS' DEVELOPMENT AT SS..  THE CURRENT OUTFIELD WITH HOLT IN RF IS JUST FINE, AND WILL GET BETTER WITH EXPERIENCE!  CUTTING A.J. LOOSE WAS THE RIGHT MOVE...REMOVING THE BLOCKAGE FOR VASQUEZ TO MOVE UP.

SO, EVERYONE REMEMBERS ALL THE MEDIA HOWLING ABOUT HAVING DEPTH?  WELL THOSE GURUS ARE FULL OF CRAP!  GOOD PITCHING DEPTH...GOOD, NOT GREAT!  WE SHOULD TRADE PEAVY, AND ONE OF THE RELIEFERS WHO WILL BE FA END OF SEASON.  CHERINGTON SCREWED UP NOT SIGNING LESTER IN ST!  HOPE WE DON'T LOSE HIM!

WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK?

REBEL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: ONE PLAYER...YES, ONE...SCREWED UP THE FIRST HALF FOR THE REDSOX!!

Had Middy repeated his first half of 2012 in 2014, we'd still be out of it.

I think the loss of Victorino hurt us the most, but I'd never try to blame a season on 1 player.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Had Middy repeated his first half of 2012 in 2014, we'd still be out of it.

I think the loss of Victorino hurt us the most, but I'd never try to blame a season on 1 player.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]  BLAMING IT ALL ON ONE PLAYER IS HARSH, I AGREE...OTHERS WERE SUB-PAR IN THE FIRST HALF TOO!

[object HTMLDivElement]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There are quite a few different opinions regarding the first half performance. Hard to know which is correct. But you cannot pin it on one guy.  That much should be unanimous. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Going into the season I thought the Red Sox could be an above-.500 team despite my low expectations for Will Middlebrooks.

The Sox might still finish above .500.

I can't blame Middlebrooks for the Sox woes because I did not think he would be much of a factor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ortiz and Pedroia hitting 250 for most of the first half, JBJ, XD not hitting over 200, no Middy or Victorino or Carp. Nava, Gomez, below expectations. Only Napoli IMO has been average. AJP not even being good in any way shape or form.     This season to date is not on one player

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Ortiz and Pedroia hitting 250 for most of the first half, JBJ, XD not hitting over 200, no Middy or Victorino or Carp. Nava, Gomez, below expectations. Only Napoli IMO has been average. AJP not even being good in any way shape or form.     This season to date is not on one player

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

Jim, I can't put it on Ortiz. Actually, Ortiz was fine in the first half except for a two-week slump in early June. Yet he still had his best month of the season driving in runs. Ortiz has been around .280-plus all year w/RISP. He did his job.

The No. 1 reasons that put the Sox in this position starts with Pedroia and Napoli. Pedroia because of his recent hot streak is up to around .250 w/RISP. But through June, he was around .200 and Napoli is still under .200 w/RISP. They've been mostly the No. 3 and No. 5 batters -- the heart of the lineup.

As to the OP, Middlebrooks is a convenient whipping boy, but he was the team's No. 7 to No. 9 hitter. It's as lame  and idiotic as it gets to blame a bottom-of-the-order hitter for a team being under .500.

You have to look at the veterans, who were supposed to help carry the team in run production to help the youngsters. Ortiz did his job. Pedroia and Napoli were horrible in that department in the first half. That's where the blame starts. Had they done their job, the Sox wouldn't be in first place, but they'd be at least at .500. Then you can start assigning blame elsewhere. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

They're all under-achieving this year,  with maybe an exception of Jon Lester and Koji Uehara, and the surprising emergence of Brock Holt.

But the worst of the bunch in my opinion is Mike Napoli.

You have to expect more than 10 HR, 34 RBI from an offensive position like 1B...  especially when the player is being paid $16 million and bats in the 4 hole.  Unacceptable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The entire first half should be blamed on Cherington for thinking AJ would adequately replace Salty's work despite knowing he was a malcontent, not having any plan to replace Ellsbury's bat except for Sizemore experiment, and miscalculating Xander at SS thus starting the Waiting For Guffman on Drew. Then you should blame Bradley, Gomes, Nava, Carp, Ross for miserable opening 75 at bats. Blame Pedroia and Napoli for a produce-less first 150 at bats. Then I blame NESN for adding Steve Lyons and not having enough Dennis Eckersley. I then blame the Marketing and PR, I blame the hot dog vendors, I blame the beer guys, I blame the entire Front Office and Back Office. The only ones I don't blame are the Ballgirls, who have been making MVP like stops all year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

There's no question there are enough players, coaches, GM, Manager and ownership to cast some concern on.

The good thing after the kind of adversity we faced this half we may have some really good days ahead of us.

Granted a split with the White Sox and 2 of 3 from Houston is not like beating the A's and O's but there were 4 wins in 7 games---better than 3 and 4 or 0 for 7

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it's been a team fail - just like last year was a team title..but given our outfield/hitting woes w/risp I would cast my vote for Shane not playing....but a LOT of players have done their part lol

As always - 100% correct!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Injuries are part of the game.  Last year the sox went without any, it evens out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Although it has been brutal to watch, there are some silver linings.......

HOLT?  Could be the real deal, and one we may never have seen for the next.........  years 》》》》 I LOVE THIS KID. & we must find a permanent spot for him!!!!!  I guess RF???

JBJ?  Maybe, just maybe, the kid is actually developing a decent +.270 bat, with GREAT CFing.  Big plus!!!!!

XB?  I think his bat will come back around, but Drew must be dealt & put XB back at SS, his natural, albeit not great by a long shot, position.  The ONLY OTHER POSITION HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO PLAY is 1st base.  Posibly RF at fenway, but that's it.  We simply have to give him the second half at SS, and assure the kid that's where he will stay.  Let him get comfortable again, & deal with and work on his lateral movement, which sucks.  Gotta give him the rest of 2014 & all of 2015 to develope!  

Lester?  AWESOME!!!!!!!!!  But we screw ed the poowch on not offering something NOT insulting.  Time to offer him 5 years at 100M+.  Maybe 110M

Lackey?  Excellent!!!!  Offer him 2 year 26M Extension & forget about next year at 500K.

Buch?  Could possibly be turning THE corner?

Peavy?  Package

De La Rosa?  I like his potential

Workman?  Same!

Vasquez?  The only good to come out of the AJ debacle, + it could mean great news if the kid can hit .270 ish.  Love this kid's potential!!!   If we'd extended Salty????   The kid would have been a burried treasure.

ALL WE REALLY NEED IS......

a big hitting LF'r, and a solid good hitting 3rd baseman.  OR......

Put HOLT at 3rd, Nava in LF, & A BIG BAT in RF.  I still like Nava!

If Middy could work on 1st base, & develop a consistent swing in Pawtucket, I'd still like to develope him at 1st.  Gotta.......   GOTTA rebuild some value there.  Too much promise to give up on.  BUT!  He absolutely must be sent down to work things out.  Assuming he has options remaining?

p.s.   to blame 1 player for a team wide offensive implosion is simply ridiculous!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i thought it was wmb jbj clay hittingcoach naps pedey ajp xbo nava papi doubrant peavy shane gomes henry lucciano JF mujicas fault?

other names i have posted under:  none

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

This season has been different to say the least, but to blame it on any one player is crazy.....some years things go your way, some years they dont.....some years you win the one run games some years you dont....the baseball gods are an ironic bunch.....I for one look forward to the second half....I love seeing the kids develop.....I would trade Peavy, Gomes, Mujica and Badenhop and Breslow.....veterans who would have value to other teams(contenders). As for our veterans....I can give Pedey a pass for his first half, due to coming back off the surgery, and he has hit over .325 the last 30 games.....Nava has been more than solid since he got back from Pawtucket and deserves to be playing versus all righties....Ortiz may have struggled with his average(shift doesnt help), but 20 hrs and 64 RBIs at the AS break and he has close to .400 with 2 outs and RISP....Napoli hasnt hit like he did last year , but his numbers arent to far off his career averages....hard to drive in Runs when Papi hits in front of you and the top of the order was hardly getting on base. So I say play the kids.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Maybe the OP is being facetious.  If not, like everyone else I heartily disagree. 

I like the notion of blaming Pierzynski, but he was just one guy.  On the other hand, the Sox are now 4-2 without Pierzynski, and I do think it was possible he was bad for team chemistry, which seems so important to 2013's success.   

As I have written incessantly, I don't think letting Ellsbury go (so he could get a king's ransom from the Yankees) was that bad an idea, especially given Bradley's contributions to date. 

Whoever said Victorino has been a big loss is right--great right fielder last year with an OPS of .802. 

Middlebrooks was and is to me almost irrelevant.  He spent like two months last year at Pawtucket because of big time hitting problems.  He struck out last year 4 times for every walk and had an OPS under .700. 

I have a huge problem with anyone castigating Ortiz because he has 64 rbi's on a team which can't score runs and because he is usually followed in the lineup by someone who makes it very easy to walk Ortiz even when men are already on base. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Fingers can be pointed in many different directions but ultimately it starts w/ Cherington.  

Sections
Shortcuts