One scout's assessment of Bob Valentine

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Re: One scout's assessment of Bob Valentine

Thanks for cheering us up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

It's an obvious possibility Bobby V wont be a good fit.  He was picked because Francona lost control so they thought they should get a guy in there who craves and needs control.  Whether that works out or not has yet to be seen.  Sooner or later someone is going to tell him to go screw himself and how he handles that when it happens will be interesting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to One scout's assessment of Bob Valentine:
    It isn't anything we haven't already heard. And I think way down inside, we all know you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I wonder if Las Vegas has established an over/under on the number of games V manages before he (or Cherington) finds himself working somewhere else.... http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/17682/scout-on-bobby-v-itll-be-all-or-nothing
    Posted by davetheknave

Whatever. Dave, you have all the skills necessary to be a Boston Red Sox beat writer, all negative, always looking to stir the negativity pot. I for one hope that Bobby V. utterly fires these guys up. If they start out slow and he "loses control", so be it, because he will be firing truthful statements to everyone about this very soft mentality team. Then LL will utterly clean house to every extent possible, including Bobby V. if necessary, then we can go back to a Manager who lets the infantile players do everything they want....perfect.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I love these un-named sources. This scout is a coward!
    As long as the damage that Francona did is not permanent, Valentine will do fine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Scouts are like Amway salesmen, there are a bazillion of them all trying to sell something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

So, what in this scout's assessment of the potential pitfalls of Valentine's style hasn't been chewed to death already?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The part about dealing with "high maintenance" guys is what I believe is true.

This is not a young team, the veterans are not used to this type of a manager.

They will not play hard for him if he calls them out and makes them look bad.

He better be very careful , the season hasn't even started and his act is wearing thin on lots of people already.

My opinion is this circus needs fewer clowns, not one who thinks he's a great manager. A legend in his own mind.

Totally wrong choice for this team, I really do not think they could have done much worse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

All in all, I really only care about BobbyV's in-game decisions and how he manages the game. All the other stuff you can throw out the window, but I makes it more interesting having an strong personality with charisma.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Personally, I think Valentine is here to 1) take our minds off last September and 2) keep the seat warm for John Farrell.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: One scout's assessment of Bob Valentine:
    Personally, I think Valentine is here to 1) take our minds off last September and 2) keep the seat warm for John Farrell.
    Posted by slomag

That's who harness wanted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

He's had success wherever he's been. As long as Boston media stays civil think he will enjoy success w/ RS. There's no denying the talent on RS, if team can stay healthy they just might surprise alot of people? Still one starter short of doing something really special, but still alot of time to find one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Scouts are like Amway salesmen, there are a bazillion of them all trying to sell something.
    Posted by BurritoT

Or just maybe a scout who has been following the team down here might have a little more insight than some fool in a jungle half a globe away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

well as far as this long time red sox fans assesment of bobby v, so far so good. I like his energy and I love his passion for this game. as I said before, what the hell are all his haters and doubters gonna have to say should this club come outta the gate totally on fire and rifle off about 8 or 9 wins in a row. I'll tell ya what they're gonna say.....nuthin! cause they'll be too busy wiping the egg off their faces.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

He's had success wherever he's been. As long as Boston media stays civil think he will enjoy success w/ RS. There's no denying the talent on RS, if team can stay healthy they just might surprise alot of people? Still one starter short of doing something really special, but still alot of time to find one.
    Posted by garyhow

In Boston we now measure "success" by winning a championship.

Valentine has not had "success" anywhere.

He is a legend in his own mind.

I predict he will struggle to win 88 games with this team and they might make the playoffs due to the new format.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

wait...everyone who hated Francona (francoma) used to say that the manager doesnt matter when it comes to wins and losses.  They always said the team won in spite of Francona.  I wonder now if they will hate Bobby or love him and say he is responsible for the turn around. I think, for the most part, Sox fans are idiots who only complain because they are so used to this team losing. Once the team started winning, they started complaining about all the new Sox fans, now that they lost again, they complain about the manager, the pitching, and the chicken and beer in the club house. I wonder what guys like Gonzo and Crawford thought when they walked into the sheit storm that is Boston sports media, and arm chair quarterbacks everywhere.
    I am often ashamed to be a Sox fan when i travel alot around the country, as people consider us to be one small step below Yankee fans...thats not a good thing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

wait...everyone who hated Francona (francoma) used to say that the manager doesnt matter when it comes to wins and losses.  They always said the team won in spite of Francona.  I wonder now if they will hate Bobby or love him and say he is responsible for the turn around.I think, for the most part, Sox fans are idiots who only complain because they are so used to this team losing. Once the team started winning, they started complaining about all the new Sox fans, now that they lost again, they complain about the manager, the pitching, and the chicken and beer in the club house. I wonder what guys like Gonzo and Crawford thought when they walked into the sheit storm that is Boston sports media, and arm chair quarterbacks everywhere. I am often ashamed to be a Sox fan when i travel alot around the country, as people consider us to be one small step below Yankee fans...thats not a good thing.
    Posted by slicksteve38

Well, I for one, think that any turn-around would include the Red Sox being healthy. No matter who manages the team, BV, if Tito stayed on, me, you, or throw a rock...they would need to be healthy for that to happen. Bobby Valentine is as good as any at this point in time. He's overly opinionated at times and he might prove well as a distraction and keep the pressure off players. I'm going to try not to question his every move and try to be optimistic. Save for Tito, Boston usually goes through managers like a bucket of range balls anyway. Let's see what he's got to offer.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

wait...everyone who hated Francona (francoma) used to say that the manager doesnt matter when it comes to wins and losses.  They always said the team won in spite of Francona.  I wonder now if they will hate Bobby or love him and say he is responsible for the turn around. I think, for the most part, Sox fans are idiots who only complain because they are so used to this team losing. Once the team started winning, they started complaining about all the new Sox fans, now that they lost again, they complain about the manager, the pitching, and the chicken and beer in the club house. I wonder what guys like Gonzo and Crawford thought when they walked into the sheit storm that is Boston sports media, and arm chair quarterbacks everywhere. I am often ashamed to be a Sox fan when i travel alot around the country, as people consider us to be one small step below Yankee fans...thats not a good thing.
    Posted by slicksteve38

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to One scout's assessment of Bob Valentine:
    It isn't anything we haven't already heard. And I think way down inside, we all know you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I wonder if Las Vegas has established an over/under on the number of games V manages before he (or Cherington) finds himself working somewhere else.... http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/17682/scout-on-bobby-v-itll-be-all-or-nothing
    Posted by davetheknave

Not a fan of Bobby V. but less of a fan of articles based on the opinions of un-named scouts.

Lately there seems to be just too much of it.

If I have a column and I want to slime a certain personality in sports and fill my column all I need to do is make up a story based on a quote from an un-named scout/s.

Sections
Shortcuts