One View of 2013 and Beyond

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

One View of 2013 and Beyond

One possible plan...

Trade: Ellsbury, Aceves, Cecchini, and Coyle

For: Dan Uggla ($39.6M/3), Tommy Hanson (3 arb years left), and $2M in '13, $3.6M in '14 & $5M in '15.

Salary dump in Uggla, and the Braves get their future 3Bman.

We get 3 years of a promising young starter.

Trade: Morales, Brentz, de la Rosa, Britton, & Pimental

For: Justin Upton ($38.5M/3)

Sign:

A. Sanchez  $45M/4

B. McCarthy $25M/3

A. Pagan  $10M/2

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: One View of 2013 and Beyond

Isn't Uggla a 2B? I'd definitely be all for bringing in A Sanchez and McCarthy, although I'd like McCarthy a lot more on a 1 or 2 year deal. Honestly though, I'd prefer Brentz' upside to Upton's inconsistency and rumored attitude. Pagan could be a good signing. If we could spin Uggla in another deal Hanson is intriguing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Isn't Uggla a 2B? I'd definitely be all for bringing in A Sanchez and McCarthy, although I'd like McCarthy a lot more on a 1 or 2 year deal. Honestly though, I'd prefer Brentz' upside to Upton's inconsistency and rumored attitude. Pagan could be a good signing. If we could spin Uggla in another deal Hanson is intriguing.

Uggla does play 2B, but he is why we'd get Hanson for "so cheap". Perhaps he could play DH and be the back-up 2Bman & 3Bman. I doubt we could spin him off to another team, but I'd try.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

Uggla does play 2B, but he is why we'd get Hanson for "so cheap". Perhaps he could play DH and be the back-up 2Bman & 3Bman. I doubt we could spin him off to another team, but I'd try.

Pedroia might bring a lot in a trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Zona will laugh at Upton's proposal. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I agree that the Justin Upton proposal is on the light side.

Seattle is rumored to be showcasing shortstop Nick Franklin and lefthander James Paxton in the Arizona Fall League to set up a trade offer for Justin Upton. John Sickels' preliminary prospect rankings have Franklin as the 16th-ranked hitter and Paxton as the 25th-ranked pitcher. That would be the equivalent of Red Sox prospects Matt Barnes, the 18th-ranked pitcher, and Jackie Bradley, the 24th-ranked hitter.

Would the Red Sox offer Barnes and Bradley for Upton? Given Arizona's positional needs, would the Sox up their offer to include Barnes and Xander Bogaerts, Sickels' fourth-ranked hitter?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

I agree that the Justin Upton proposal is on the light side.

Seattle is rumored to be showcasing shortstop Nick Franklin and lefthander James Paxton in the Arizona Fall League to set up a trade offer for Justin Upton. John Sickels' preliminary prospect rankings have Franklin as the 16th-ranked hitter and Paxton as the 25th-ranked pitcher. That would be the Boston equivalent of Matt Barnes, the 18th-ranked pitcher, and Jackie Bradley, the 24th-ranked hitter.

Would the Red Sox offer Barnes and Bradley for Upton? Given Arizona's positional needs, would the Sox up their offer to include Barnes and Xander Bogaerts, Sickels' fourth-ranked hitter?

I seriously doubt we'd give Barnes and Bradley for Upton, but we might be able to give more quantity than quality.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i don't see upton (either of them) being a target. J upton would cost us waaay too much and be a liability defensively as well as the questions about his attitude come into play when you consider the media in boston.. unless you can land him with a large package of lesser players like moon suggested (unlikely)

you dont think A sanchez is over rated moon? this guy certainly does. i would much rather go after haren/peavy or lohse

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Ben might be interested in signing Torii Hunter for 2 yrs and trade Ellsbury in the offseason for a solid starter possibly TOR guy throwing in high profile prospect(s), not touching our top 5-6.  Torii WILL come to Boston if 2 yrs are guaranteed at around $21-22M.  He will take over CF or RF until JBJ and Brentz are ready.  Torii showed strong interest coming to Boston joining his long time buddy Ortiz.  (Coincidence that both get 2 yr deals?) Always hard working guy, good clubhouse veteran, still hits over .310 and drives in 90+ runners at the age of 37 and playing 140 games.  I think he would be good addition to the team. 

I like Ells trade to the Braves for Uggla and Hanson.  Hanson had down year but I think his injury might have played huge role and he should be fine next season expecting coming back healthy.  Uggla also had down year and I think he needs change of scenery.  His bat is one of top in the league for the 2B and can slide right into middle of the order.  I bet he doesn't mind trying out for 1B job next season.  He might have his power back and go easy on his feet. 

Lineup would be

Angel Pagan (CF) / Pedey (2B) / Papi (DH) / Uggla (1B) / WMB (3B) / Salty (C) / Torii (RF) / Sands (LF) / Iggy (SS)

Rotation would look like

Lester-Bucholz-Hanson-Doubront-Lackey-Rubby

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

One possible plan...

For: Dan Uggla ($39.6M/3), Tommy Hanson (3 arb years left), and $2M in '13, $3.6M in '14 & $5M in '15.

Sign:

A. Sanchez  $45M/4

B. McCarthy $25M/3

A. Pagan  $10M/2

4 pitchers and one of our top 2 OF prospects for Upton???? Wow...Just....WOWzers

I just cant understand why all the love for an inconsistent OF'er with the potential to be great...And for only 3 years. If I give up a haul like that, I want more than 3 years of control and more than one underachieving player...But, thats just me....

I understand that Britton and Pimentel are mediocre prospects, but Rubby, Brentz and Morales, to me, are better off with the Sox than Upton...

I like the Pagan move though if Ells goes...I also like Sanchez if the $$ is right...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Ben might be interested in signing Torii Hunter for 2 yrs and trade Ellsbury in the offseason for a solid starter possibly TOR guy throwing in high profile prospect(s), not touching our top 5-6.  Torii WILL come to Boston if 2 yrs are guaranteed at around $21-22M.  He will take over CF or RF until JBJ and Brentz are ready.  Torii showed strong interest coming to Boston joining his long time buddy Ortiz.  (Coincidence that both get 2 yr deals?) Always hard working guy, good clubhouse veteran, still hits over .310 and drives in 90+ runners at the age of 37 and playing 140 games.  I think he would be good addition to the team. 

I like Ells trade to the Braves for Uggla and Hanson.  Hanson had down year but I think his injury might have played huge role and he should be fine next season expecting coming back healthy.  Uggla also had down year and I think he needs change of scenery.  His bat is one of top in the league for the 2B and can slide right into middle of the order.  I bet he doesn't mind trying out for 1B job next season.  He might have his power back and go easy on his feet. 

Lineup would be

Angel Pagan (CF) / Pedey (2B) / Papi (DH) / Uggla (1B) / WMB (3B) / Salty (C) / Torii (RF) / Sands (LF) / Iggy (SS)

Rotation would look like

Lester-Bucholz-Hanson-Doubront-Lackey-Rubby

Im with you on signing Hunter. Ive been singing his praises for a couple months now...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

One possible plan...

Sign:

A. Sanchez  $45M/4

B. McCarthy $25M/3

A. Pagan  $10M/2

4 pitchers and one of our top 2 OF prospects for Upton???? Wow...Just....WOWzers

I just cant understand why all the love for an inconsistent OF'er with the potential to be great...And for only 3 years. If I give up a haul like that, I want more than 3 years of control and more than one underachieving player...But, thats just me....

I understand that Britton and Pimentel are mediocre prospects, but Rubby, Brentz and Morales, to me, are better off with the Sox than Upton...

I like the Pagan move though if Ells goes...I also like Sanchez if the $$ is right...

i like bourne if ellsbury gets moved. i wouldnt be unhappy with pagan either.... i just hope they do not move big numbah two. unless its for king felix*

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

One possible plan...

Sign:

A. Sanchez  $45M/4

B. McCarthy $25M/3

A. Pagan  $10M/2

i like bourne if ellsbury gets moved. i wouldnt be unhappy with pagan either.... i just hope they do not move big numbah two. unless its for king felix*

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

One possible plan...

Sign:

A. Sanchez  $45M/4

B. McCarthy $25M/3

A. Pagan  $10M/2

I would rather get a stop gap 1-2yr deal player like Hunter. The reason being is JBJ should be ready in 2014. Also Brentz could see time this year. If they see those 2, as I do, as our CF and RF, then theres no need to sign a longer term deal, ie; Bourn.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

J Upton has a career .832 OPS at age 24. 

Part of the reason his road splits look so bad is that he plays many in division games at LAD (.689), SD (.901-surprise), and SF (.680). He's at .787 in Colorado... hmmm...

I like the fact that he is over .800 vs both LHPs and RHPs.

If we sign Hunter, I'll be shocked and disappointed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Part of the reason his road splits look so bad is that he plays many in division games at LAD (.689), SD (.901-surprise), and SF (.680). He's at .787 in Colorado... hmmm...

For what reason will you be shocked and disappointed?  only because of his age?  Obviously he's not coming here to bat clean up or #3 or 5.  He just had his career high in batting avg and obp, he owns 9 straight GG from 2001 so there's no question about his D, he showed interest in joining former teammate Ortiz which possibly indicating that Torii will take huge pay on 2 yr deal.  Good clubhouse veteran who could set tone in the dugout with Ortiz.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Would you be "shocked and disappointed" if the Sox sign Tori hunter because you are under the impression that the Sox Front Office is going to treat 2013 as a "spring training" for the rest of the decade, or is it because you think having a solid hitting, plus defender with quality character on a short term deal in right field would be detrimental to the ballclub?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

One possible plan...

Sign:

A. Sanchez  $45M/4

B. McCarthy $25M/3

A. Pagan  $10M/2

I would rather get a stop gap 1-2yr deal player like Hunter. The reason being is JBJ should be ready in 2014. Also Brentz could see time this year. If they see those 2, as I do, as our CF and RF, then theres no need to sign a longer term deal, ie; Bourn.

i think we will be getting hunter as a stop gap anyway. but if we trade jacoby we have no real CF'er on the team (sweeney maybe). i don't think we will be getting rid of him either and once we sign him long term and JBJ is ready we would have a Ross/ells/JBJ outfield that would slaughter pitchers.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

The Mariners continue to be an embarrassment to MLB, so they certainly need to do less pipe dreaming and find value on offense.

That "embarassment" finished six games ahead of the Red Sox with one of baseball's youngest rosters* despite the disappointing development of former top prospects.

Sometimes it's more fun to exceed modest expectations than to fall far, far short of high expectations.

Peace be with you and every Red Sox fan.

* with more young talent on the way:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474586/preliminary-top-50-pitching-prospects-list-for-2013

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474442/preliminary-top-50-hitting-prospects-for-2013

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Without a doubt, Ellsbury adds more value to the DBacks than J. Upton...

Blithering absurdity.

The guy softy called a 4th OF'er well into the 2011 season is now going to be of more value to AZ than J Upton at age 24 with several years of control remaining.

Silly clown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

One possible plan...

Sign:

A. Sanchez  $45M/4

B. McCarthy $25M/3

A. Pagan  $10M/2

While I find the Upton proposal a bit light, I think characterizing Upton as “inconsistent” is well beyond unfair. This season his numbers were hampered by some injuries early on, but considering he has been posting very similar and occasionally better OPS numbers than Brentz at the same ages, except doing it at the MLB level, Upton is establishing himself as an elite hitter. And Upton is only one year older. I think we can all count the number of consistently good MLB hitters through age 24 on our prehensile tails.

Would you consider Matt Kemp an inconsistent hitter? His numbers have fluctuated as much as Upton’s over the last 3 years, and at the same age as Upton, his career OPS was .826, basically the same as Upton’s .832. Look at Kemp. That is the player Upton should easily become over the next few seasons. Would you deal that package for Kemp, ignoring his extremely heavy contract? And in his case, you are trading for the past. With Upton, that is the future.

If Upton could be had for Bradley and Webster, I make the deal twice today and again tomorrow. Bradley to date has been the slightly lesser, healthier version of Kalish. Webster is a very talented prospect, but his stamina worries me to the point where he might be a relief pitcher. Upton is unlikely to be the new Manny, but he definitely has MVP potential. Two unknown commodities for a future MVP? Again, twice today and again tomorrow.

I look at Brentz and see the upside of a 6-spot hitter. He won’t be a bad player, but he will probably not be an irreplaceable one, either. His upside is probably Matt Joyce. That makes him nice to have, but Upton is a player you build a team around. Brentz is the kind of player you use to build around Upton.

The Ellsbury / Hanson / Uggla / Cecchini deal would be a no-brainer for Atlanta, and would also be a good deal for Boston, assuming they could find a place for Uggla to play. Some hard-hitting second baseman with fielding issues have been transplanted to LF, but not without issues. Think Soriano and Knoblauch. The Sox might also use Uggla at 1B. He certainly has infield experience, and the position is the easiest to field. The drawbacks are, while most MLB first baseman are players who were moved their typically because they could hit and not field, they still fit into a prototype of being either tall, or left-handed, or both, as these attributes are defensive pluses for the position. Uggla is short and right-handed. This does not mean he will fail, but they do put him at a disadvantage. But given that Uggla certainly has right-handed Fenway power, and typically can keep his OBP about 100 points above his average, there are plenty of reasons to want him at Fenway.

Make these two deals adding Upton, Uggla and Hanson. Put Sands in LF. (Why not?) Build a RF situation from Ross and Sweeney and move Kalish to CF.

And play ball!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While I find the Upton proposal a bit light... If Upton could be had for Bradley and Webster, I make the deal twice today and again tomorrow..

I have wanted to avoid giving up Bradley and others for Upton, but realistically, it will take something like your offer to get it done. Count me in.

The Ellsbury / Hanson / Uggla / Cecchini deal would be a no-brainer for Atlanta, and would also be a good deal for Boston, assuming they could find a place for Uggla to play.... But given that Uggla certainly has right-handed Fenway power, and typically can keep his OBP about 100 points above his average, there are plenty of reasons to want him at Fenway.

I think Uggla could play 1B or DH, and may get a chance to back-up 2B or 3B a little. I don't see him as a LF'er.

Make these two deals adding Upton, Uggla and Hanson. Put Sands in LF. (Why not?) Build a CF situation from Ross, Sweeney and Kalish. And play ball!

What if we do both of these deals and then sign Bourn and A Sanchez,E Jackson, B McCarthy, or Marcum?

Play Ball! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I really don't see Uggla as a LF, either.  But then I never thought I'd see Dwight Evans at 1B.

However, I had Sands in LF.  Although, I admit, I stopped making serious effort by then. 

Anlother name that gets a rare mention is Grady Sizemore.  The man can do anything on a baseball field except stay.  He will definitely get an incentive-laden deal somewhere, and if he could manage to not hurt himself trotting out to LF, he might be another worthwhile gamble.  Sure, he has more prosthetics than Palm Beach County,  but he is still only like 30.  He could be the new, hip replacement in the outfield.

And I mean tht literally.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I really don't see Uggla as a LF, either.  But then I never thought I'd see Dwight Evans at 1B.

However, I had Sands in LF.  Although, I admit, I stopped making serious effort by then. 

Anlother name that gets a rare mention is Grady Sizemore.  The man can do anything on a baseball field except stay.  He will definitely get an incentive-laden deal somewhere, and if he could manage to not hurt himself trotting out to LF, he might be another worthwhile gamble.  Sure, he has more prosthetics than Palm Beach County,  but he is still only like 30.  He could be the new, hip replacement in the outfield.

And I mean tht literally.

I could see a platoon develop in LF out of Sands, Nava, Sweeney and Ross wih possible spilloever to DH if Papi walks or gets hurt. There are some pretty decent one-sided splits in this group.

I think Sizemore is too big a gamble, and I think if Jacoby is traded, we'd look to Bourn or Pagan or some trade nobody has mentioned.

Sections
Shortcuts