Only May, but a key series . . .

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Only May, but a key series . . .

Three at Tampa when the Rays are on the upswing and our guys are struggling.  Right now the AL East does in fact have a bunch of good teams with winning records, with Toronto the only ones with a losing record.

Here are the items that worry me about this series.  Tampa is 7-3 in their last 10, we're 2-8.  Tampa is much better at home than on the road and now have overall a winning record.  We will basically have our three best starters--Lackey, Lester, and Buchholz--and they will have three good ones, but the problem is they are starting two lefties in the series and the Sox have not fared well against lefties.  We will have a good lineup, but one which has struggled with RISP.  Also a good defense, but one which has made a lot errors recently.  And a bullpen which is suspect with Hanrahan and Bailey out and Uehara and Tazawa showing signs of not exactly being lights out--ditto Miller.  No one, really, who can be counted on for a clean inning.  All of these factors could affect what so far has been a very good attitude by the team. 

Some reasons to hope.  The day off came at a good time.  The defense without the errors is pretty good, and those three starteers have been very good so far.  All three would easily pitch into the 7th, 8th, or even 9th inning.  Middlebrooks and Drew are showing signs of life at the plate.  Ellsbury is due, as is Ortiz--both can hit better than they have recently.   Sox swept the Rays in April. 

Sox win 2 of 3. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Only May, but a key series . . .

You forgot Price has been eratic all year and Moore has not been good in 2 of his last 3 if I remember correctly.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Three at Tampa when the Rays are on the upswing and our guys are struggling.  Right now the AL East does in fact have a bunch of good teams with winning records, with Toronto the only ones with a losing record.

Here are the items that worry me about this series.  Tampa is 7-3 in their last 10, we're 2-8.  Tampa is much better at home than on the road and now have overall a winning record.  We will basically have our three best starters--Lackey, Lester, and Buchholz--and they will have three good ones, but the problem is they are starting two lefties in the series and the Sox have not fared well against lefties.  We will have a good lineup, but one which has struggled with RISP.  Also a good defense, but one which has made a lot errors recently.  And a bullpen which is suspect with Hanrahan and Bailey out and Uehara and Tazawa showing signs of not exactly being lights out--ditto Miller.  No one, really, who can be counted on for a clean inning.  All of these factors could affect what so far has been a very good attitude by the team. 

Some reasons to hope.  The day off came at a good time.  The defense without the errors is pretty good, and those three starteers have been very good so far.  All three would easily pitch into the 7th, 8th, or even 9th inning.  Middlebrooks and Drew are showing signs of life at the plate.  Ellsbury is due, as is Ortiz--both can hit better than they have recently.   Sox swept the Rays in April. 

Sox win 2 of 3. 

As DAD would say  "SON, and I thought it was only BILL-806 that was/is concerned about this road trip"  !!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Boston has faced a few soft tossing LHP. They dont have as much trouble with the ones that can throw 95+ for some reason. Both of Tampas LHP have struggled somewhat. All 3 of our guys have to shut them down and get on their guys quickly before they settle in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Are the Sox facing Hellickson in this series? If so 3 tough Pitchers, and the Rays are hot now. 2 wins for me would be big.
    Anything can happen, just ask the Bruins.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Sox win 2 of 3. 

Sox lose two of three-if they are lucky.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

softlaw, not bad.  We will never agree on Drew, obviously, but "poor" is just wrong.  Worst case, he is average.  I don't consider Nava in LF to be poor, but agree on Gomes and of course Salty.  You could be right about Middlebrooks at 3B.  I'm afraid I agree about the middle of the Sox lineup.  Definitely agree on the bullpen. 

I'm encouraged you see this as a toss-up.

I consider any team above .500 to be "good" for now.  You are looking for teams who are not only going to be in the playoffs, but a decent bet to get to the ALCS, so you like the Tigers and Rangers.  Fine.  You might want to include the Yankees because they are going to get some big bats back into the lineup at some point.  Me, I like being able to call the Sox "good," at least for now, especially give the 2011 debacle and what was done in the offseason. 

pumpsie-green, I agree only that you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  And now is a good time to be pessimistic, but I prefer not to be. 

One additional point from pollyanna, yours truly.  Ain't it great that the Sox can actually be said to be in this thing?  I mean both the series and the pennant race.  Back in March it sure didn't look that way. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Are the Sox facing Hellickson in this series? If so 3 tough Pitchers, and the Rays are hot now. 2 wins for me would be big.
    Anything can happen, just ask the Bruins.

what the BRUINS did last night was unbelievable. it will probably never happen again.

yogi said, "it ain't over till it's over." no words were ever truer. 

Its never happened before. down 3 goals in the 3rd period of a deciding game 7, only to comeback and win in OT. Yup, its another 1st for Boston sports along with the Sox in 2004.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

The AL East doesn't have any "good teams", if this meaningless phrase means a title contending team. The one exception could be the Yankees, who are 3rd, behind the Tigers and Rangers as title contending teams. The Yankees will need A-Roid, Tex and Granderson slugging at a high level for them to rise out of that 3 spot.

The Red Sox are not a good defensive team. They are poor at SS and catcher, when Salty starts. They are average in CF, and poor in LF. Because Middlebrooks is playing with bad ribs, they are poor at 3B. They are weak at 1B, as well.

They Rays are weak, offensively, while the Red Sox are marginal in the middle but more capable than the Rays. The Red Sox pen has two pretzels missing from the top end, and the better remaining arms are being overused.

This series is a probability early season 3 game toss-up, which likely will end up without a sweep on either side. I won't be surprised if either team wins 2 out of 3, but I don't see any sweep.

Both of these teams are pretenders, which is always the case for the entire history of the Rays. Yes, the Rays are overrated, and other smaller market teams like the A's are just as compelling on the getting the max out of smaller league payrolls.

Besides Middy having 6E, mostly because of wild throws and an inexperienced Napoli(2E) at 1st, who has done a lot better than anyone expected. Ciriaco, who is a true "butcher" with 5E in only 15 games, and Salty having 3E. The rest of the team has been strong, including SS (Drew) who has 73A and 20DP.

That said, although the rays have done well over the last 10G, Price and as of late Moore have had their share of troubles. Need to get to them early and often. Should be a good series.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not feeling great about this road trip.  But baseball is a wacky game.  All you can do is watch what happens.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

You might want to include the Yankees

Read my comments, where I did say "might include the Yankees from the 3rd spot".

Errors and DP's in the aggregate are virtually meaningless. They are a function of chance and scoring and range and lack of range. Ciriaco is a UIF'er who has to move around and come off the bench. His total erros isn't something to hand a hat on for a bench role.

S. Drew has poor range for a SS. No SS is a good fielder with poor range. I can't wait until S. Drew is gone , with his hefty slugging and hitting splits in a slugging park like Fenway. The ony problem is that this incompetent managment will start looking for the next slugging SS who would be a poor fielding 3B'man.

Fine on the Yankees.  As for Drew, I like a .990 fielding percentage because that's a SS who makes the plays he should make.  And his range seems to me to be avergage or better but I haven't look at UZR stats or whatever.  The hitting remains to be seen, but is getting better. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Not feeling great about this road trip.  But baseball is a wacky game.  All you can do is watch what happens.

I like that Lackey, Lester and Buchholz are pitching.

They're capable of holding down the Rays offense.

But, if the Sox don't starting hitting with RISP, it's going to be a long week.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Softy,

A.  Remy says so.

B.  I disagree about the scoring, which is pretty consistent and taken seriously, to include discussions and even changed minds after the fact.  Besides, as I said, I like having a SS who makes the plays he should make.  Iglesias is more fun and possibly a boon to pitchers--unproven, but possible--but right now more error prone.

C.  Absolutely right.  His hitting is not yet up to $10M.  But give him time, and feel free to let us know later on when and if he falls short.  2011 and 2012 were injury years.  Right now he is healthy.  Ellsbury missed virtually all of 2010 from the rib injuries but had a banner year in 2011. 

D.  By "getting better" I mean right now in this season.  Funny thing, but you used to defend his older brother to the death--one of the few bonafide five tool players in the game, you said.  My claims for the kid aren't nearly so grandiose.  May I add J.D. was never worth $14M per year. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts