Only three things the Sox don't do well

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Only three things the Sox don't do well

Pitch, hit, and field.  Otherwise, definitely contenders.  Of the three by far the weakest is the hitting.  At least twice tonight and maybe three times they had a man on 3B one or no outs, and every single time the hitter could not move the runner.  I think two were popups and one was a strikeout, but it might have been two strikeouts and a popup. 

I would love to blame Middlebrooks for that egregious error missing a popup with no wind, but the reality is the Sox got a gift in the 5th inning and could not hit the ball for the rest of the night--that is, the other 8 innings.  This happens a lot.  And some of it may be born of the Bill James philosophy that taking pitches is always preferable to swinging the bat, even when you have two strikes on you. 

And we are running out of excuses and explanations.  Middlebrooks and Victorino are both back and healthy and playing.  The rotation is healthy.  The bullpen is healthy.  This is the team the FO wants and it is struggling mightily. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: Only three things the Sox don't do well

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

If it were May 1, 2013 we would be okay with their performance.....  this team is not much different than the 2013 team in terms of the roster... 

Except the SOX don't have a lead-off hitter or a defensive SS. But the rest of the team is pretty much the same.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

one thing they do well, choke.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If it were May 1, 2013 we would be okay with their performance.....  this team is not much different than the 2013 team in terms of the roster... 

Huh?

1. No Ellsbury

2. No Salty

3. Nava 2013 vs. Nava 2014

That's three starters and big bats in lineup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

Except the SOX don't have a lead-off hitter or a defensive SS. But the rest of the team is pretty much the same.

I counter that a year ago at this time Drew was on the DL and Iggy was deemed lucky every time he reached base, Sizemore should make up for Elles ... should.

Boegarts is better than Drew, and per the season he should be a big asset.

Actually, since Sizemore is playing left with Gomes, I'm hoping that he makes up for Nava. As for Ellsbury, Bradley is more than making up for him on defense and is a mixed bag on offense.

For instance, compare Ellsbury and Bradley this year:

Ellsbury:26 G, 15 R, 11 XBH, 12 RBI, .309/.364/.464/.828 and 26 runs produced.

Bradley: 27 G, 12 R, 9 XBH, 12 RBI, .226./.330/.345/.675 and 24 runs produced.

Obviously, Ellsbury his hitting better with more pop. However, because Bradley has a decent OBP, he's scoring runs -- just three less than Ellsbury and he has hit in the clutch, which give him the same number of RBIs, so in terms of run production, it's pretty close.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

We are not as good as we think we are.......  This is why the TEAM shoud stay away from LONG TERM BIG $$$$$$ CONTRACTS to players over 30 years of age......  IE: Lester and oh by the way, how is "BIG PAPI" doing ????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Actually, it's chock.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Pitch, hit, and field.  Otherwise, definitely contenders.  Of the three by far the weakest is the hitting.  At least twice tonight and maybe three times they had a man on 3B one or no outs, and every single time the hitter could not move the runner.  I think two were popups and one was a strikeout, but it might have been two strikeouts and a popup. 

I would love to blame Middlebrooks for that egregious error missing a popup with no wind, but the reality is the Sox got a gift in the 5th inning and could not hit the ball for the rest of the night--that is, the other 8 innings.  This happens a lot.  And some of it may be born of the Bill James philosophy that taking pitches is always preferable to swinging the bat, even when you have two strikes on you. 

And we are running out of excuses and explanations.  Middlebrooks and Victorino are both back and healthy and playing.  The rotation is healthy.  The bullpen is healthy.  This is the team the FO wants and it is struggling mightily. 

Was I the only one on here that seen this mess at spring training?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

We are not as good as we think we are.......  This is why the TEAM shoud stay away from LONG TERM BIG $$$$$$ CONTRACTS to players over 30 years of age......  IE: Lester and oh by the way, how is "BIG PAPI" doing ????

I see you woke up this morning. Damn!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Huh?

1. No Ells bury

2. No Salty

3. Nava 2013 vs. Nava 2014

That's three starters and big bats in lineup.

Yes, the Sox have those differences, but that's not the big problem with the offense. As I showed above, Bradley has been more productive despite the .226 BA because of his OBP and clutch hitting.

A.J.'s production has been close to equal that of Salty's.

Out of the three you mentioned, Nava's drop has been the biggest problem, considering that Sizemore has been slumping and Victorino has been out.

The bigger problems with the offense has been lack of clutch hitting throughout. Pedroia has just six RBIs. Yes he's leading off about half the time, but he's batting just .231 w/RISP. And he has no homers. He does have nine doubles to lead the team, but considering he's had issues with the wrist, leading off might be the best for him this year because I don't expect a lot of home run pop from his this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Big Papi is doing a lot better than your brain-dead babblings would suggest.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

one thing they do well, choke. chock.

fixed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

What long-term contracts are killing the team right now?

QUICK -- SOMEONE CALL 9-1-1. bill has to think. Now bill, don't hurt yourself. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Actually, it's chock.

:)  YES! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

splits say he is a notoriously slow starter and then heats up with the weather.

.273BA / .514 slugging.

this year he is:

.250 / .440 but is near the top of the team with 5HR & 16rbi's.

last year he hit 3 hr's & 15 rbi's at this point.

how did he fair last season?  (dont worry, i dont really expect you to answer).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Besides PAPI, none yet and that is why BEN will not sign Lester to a contract way above the "home town discount"  !!!    But as a team after 1 month of play we just can't seem to get on the same track ..... The good news, is that we are still in the HUNT going in to yesterdays 2 game boot.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Was I the only one on here that seen this mess at spring training?

[/QUOTE]

Actually I felt pretty good about this team coming out of ST.  Sizemore was looking like he'd found the fountain of youth, I thought Victorino was going to be himself, playing through whatever he had to play through, and LF was going to be what it was with the Gomes/nava platoon.  And in case of an injury we had JBJ in the minors who played defense well enough to be a call-up.  

Middy continued with his flashes of offensive brilliance and mediocre defense.  I will confess that I drank a little of the kool-and believed that Bogearts was going to be a 21 year old version of Iggy and Josh Hamilton all rolled into one - -which obviously didn't happen - and the right side of the IF was going to be what it was last year albeit a year older.

Pitching looked solid toward the end of March with all five starters finding their stride, and even they guys coming out of the pen looked at least serviceable.  I still don't understand why they didn't keep Cordero, but that's another story.

Edit:  I left a position out, probably because I didn't want to think about it.  Catching.  I never had a good feel about the catching this year. I'll admit to being a fan of the positives Salty brought - although is throwing out of runners was abysmal.  But I didn't see either Ross or AJP as being the answer and I still don't.  However, one of them is only a one year placeholder for Vazquez/Swihart so I felt catching wouldn't be as big an issue as it's become. (And I'm not saying that catching is the only problem with this team.  It's just the only one that doesn't surprise me). 

That's why I remain optimistic about this team as a whole.  I've seen them play better than they're playing right now.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Besides PAPI, none yet and that is why BEN will not sign Lester to a contract way above the "home town discount"  !!!    But as a team after 1 month of play we just can't seem to get on the same track ..... The good news, is that we are still in the HUNT going in to yesterdays 2 game boot.....

I just realized that Bill's posts would be much more bearable if they were put on a black background.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

And Ortiz, who is tied for the team lead in homers and RBIs is hurting the team how?????????

And since when is a one-year extension a long-term contract?????????????

Two more questions of you bill. I hope the strain of them doesn't hurt you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I just realized that Bill's posts would be much more bearable if they were put on a black background.

hahahaha.  witty.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

And Ortiz, who is tied for the team lead in homers and RBIs is hurting the team how?????????

Look, when he is not hitting the seldom H R or striking out, he then becomes a major liability on the bases......  The team that "lives by the LONG BALL, dies by the LONG BALL" !!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Look, when he is not hitting the seldom H R or striking out, he then becomes a major liability on the bases......  The team that "lives by the LONG BALL, dies by the LONG BALL" !!

A person(Bill-SFB) who lives being STUPID, dies being STUPID!! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Well, you answered one question. It's utterly one of the dumbest things you've ever posted -- and that's saying something -- but you answered it.

When has he been a liability? What specific times has he been a liability on the bases. The fact is, Ortiz actually runs the bases pretty well for a big guy. Just because you can string words together like 'clog the bases' doesn't make it true.

Oh and news for you -- RBI singles like yesterday count too.

And parsing out phrases like "team that lives by the long ball, dies by the long ball" sounds all well and good but it has no context here with Ortiz. He's doing his job. Granted, I'd like to see the average go up at least 20 points, but considering power hitters often start slow then heat up, I'll take a .250 average and .356 OBP for the first month.

Still waiting for an explanation of how a one-year extension qualifies as a long-term contract.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

I agree roy.  Papi is no speedster, but he is a good baserunner.  He reads the ball well off the bat and knows when he has a good chance of taking the extra base and when he doesn't.

I will take Papi on the bases almost every time over a guy like Nava, who, despite being faster than Ortiz, made numerous base running errors last season.

Besides, with the likes of Napoli and Gomes batting behind him, he's not exactly slowing down Usain Bolt clones.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

How stupid could you possibly be?  Ortiz was World Series MVP last year.  Do you even remember back that far?

• Sections
    Shortcuts