Oo-ee-hara!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

Oo-ee-hara!

Although I don't post often, I do check in almost every day with the experts here at BDC to see what you guys have to say, and it's always worth the time. But I just had to chime in about the amazing performance of Koji Uehara because I haven't seen very many threads about him. What he is doing seems nothing short of astounding. He's completely unhittable right now. I saw someone mention a few games back that he was only three or four outs away from a "bullpen perfect game" (27 in a row), and I think he's kept that streak alive at least that long now in the last couple of games. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway, just wanted to give a huge shout out, and also hope the announcers will now finally start to get his name right ("Way-hara"). Can't remember feeling this confident in our closer in a long time- not even with Papelbon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Oo-ee-hara!

You should post more often.

Agree with your sentiments about Koji. Papelbon had some runs where I felt it was a done deal as soon as I saw him come in, but Koji right now has got to be on teh best role of any closer I've seen for the Red Sox.

I think he's up to 31 straight batters retired.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to gibsonsg's comment:

Although I don't post often, I do check in almost every day with the experts here at BDC to see what you guys have to say, and it's always worth the time. But I just had to chime in about the amazing performance of Koji Uehara because I haven't seen very many threads about him. What he is doing seems nothing short of astounding. He's completely unhittable right now. I saw someone mention a few games back that he was only three or four outs away from a "bullpen perfect game" (27 in a row), and I think he's kept that streak alive at least that long now in the last couple of games. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway, just wanted to give a huge shout out, and also hope the announcers will now finally start to get his name right ("Way-hara"). Can't remember feeling this confident in our closer in a long time- not even with Papelbon.

You are right, thanks for your thoughts.  I love the guys enthusiasm and I agree that he's not getting the recognition he deserves.

Having said that maybe it's for the best, less pressure on the guy from the press.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Agree with your sentiments about Koji. Papelbon had some runs where I felt it was a done deal as soon as I saw him come in, but Koji right now has got to be on teh best role of any closer I've seen for the Red Sox.

aiside from his occasional mouth/brain malfunctions...i think Paps got it done more often than not 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

aiside from his occasional mouth/brain malfunctions...i think Paps got it done more often than not 

[/QUOTE]

Occasional LOL!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

anyway you look at it, KO GEEEEEE is having a career year and nobody at all had any idea that he would be this sucessful. including me. and what's his secret? he's got cross hairs in his eyes and can hit either corner right on the black. I love this guy for his energy and his excitement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

One of the most dominating seasons (so far) by a relief pitcher in the history of the game......YEP.....HISTORY of the game.  I know there have been pitchers that have had just as good seasons....BUT...look how many PITCHES it actually takes him!!  Even though the guy has a ton of appearences I'd bet his arm is as fresh as anyones because of how few pitches he throws!  Last night....4 outs..12 pitches!  Plus look at all of the K's!  He does this throwing 80-89MPH! HAHA!!  He reminds me of the relief version of Greg Maddox.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Nice post,  and nice to meet you gibsonsg.  You are truely a man of few, but meaningful words having only 96 posts in 6 1/2 years...  the anti-Bill806. 

Man,  I love the Koji closer era...  His enthusiasm when he closes out the game reminds me of watching the Little Leaguers on tv last month.  He just has so much fun out there,  but does it without rubbing it into the faces of the opponents. 

Next year should be interesting with him,  Bailey and eventually Hanrahan all vying for the same closer's position.  I know who my choice would be...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I believe since taking over the closer role in June he has a 0.25 ERA and 0.34 WHIP with 49 strikeouts and 2 walks. (My fingers didn't want to type those numbers, because they do not compute.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

One of the most dominating seasons (so far) by a relief pitcher in the history of the game......YEP.....HISTORY of the game.  I know there have been pitchers that have had just as good seasons....BUT...look how many PITCHES it actually takes him!!  Even though the guy has a ton of appearences I'd bet his arm is as fresh as anyones because of how few pitches he throws!  Last night....4 outs..12 pitches!  Plus look at all of the K's!  He does this throwing 80-89MPH! HAHA!!  He reminds me of the relief version of Greg Maddox.....

boy, there must be an echo in here Wink....

Re: science of KOJI's dominance!

posted at 9/9/2013 9:14 AM EDT

• jete02fan
    • First: 8/22/2006
    • Last: 9/11/2013

he's kind of the Greg Maddux of closers...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

[QUOTE]

Nice post,  and nice to meet you gibsonsg.  You are truely a man of few, but meaningful words having only 96 posts in 6 1/2 years...  the anti-Bill806. 

Man,  I love the Koji closer era...  His enthusiasm when he closes out the game reminds me of watching the Little Leaguers on tv last month.  He just has so much fun out there,  but does it without rubbing it into the faces of the opponents. 

Next year should be interesting with him,  Bailey and eventually Hanrahan all vying for the same closer's position.  I know who my choice would be...

[/QUOTE]

Hanrahan is a FA, Bailey will be around though for his last arb year. If they dont non-tender or trade him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

[QUOTE]

boy, there must an echo in here Wink....

Re: science of KOJI's dominance!

posted at 9/9/2013 9:14 AM EDT

• jete02fan
    • First: 8/22/2006
    • Last: 9/11/2013

he's kind of the Greg Maddux of closers...

[/QUOTE]

HAHA!!!!!  I would say 'great minds think alike'.......but I'd be insulting you. I was the d u f u s that said Taz should have been the closer and that the Yankees were dead and burried a month ago ........oops.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Koji's last appearance before yesterday was funny.  It was a tough appearance for him and he looked like he was struggling.  Eck said as much and mentioned it was his worst appearance in a long time.  It was a 123 inning, but he got up to 3 balls a couple of times.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hanrahan is a FA, Bailey will be around though for his last arb year. If they dont non-tender or trade him.

You are correct.  I thought we were stuck with this bum for another year.  Great news!!

Found this embarassing info regarding what the Sox got for the $7,000,000 they deposited into Mr. Hanrahan's account for 2013...

2013 per game stats

Games            9                    $782,200

IP                   7.1                 $991,549

K                    5                    $1,408,000

SV                  4                    $1,760,000

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol. I mostly log on to learn from the pros on this board and get the inside scoop on the finer points of the game, so I'm well armed against those of my friends who had the misfortune of being born Yankees fans. But it's also fun just to see the sparks fly between posters here on BDC. I guess I just like to watch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I believe since taking over the closer role in June he has a 0.25 ERA and 0.34 WHIP with 49 strikeouts and 2 walks. (My fingers didn't want to type those numbers, because they do not compute.)

Good God. And yet somehow it seems like he's flying totally under the radar. Haven't heard or read squat about him in the national news spotlight.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Great piece on him today...gets at the idea of his flying under the radar.  Comparisons to Eck's miracle season, and argues for some consideration for some big awards.  If my link would work I'd post it...machine's flighty right now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Just wondering if anyone knows what the record is for consecutive scoreless inning by a relief pitcher. Oo-ee-hara hasn't allowed a run in 31.1 inning. That is if there is such a record kept besides the MLB record held by Orel Hershiser of the Dodgers. 

Hetch

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

You haven't seen many threads about him?

Probably because there's nothing to complain about.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

34 batters in a row, and counting...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Just wondering if anyone knows what the record is for consecutive scoreless inning by a relief pitcher. Oo-ee-hara hasn't allowed a run in 31.1 inning. That is if there is such a record kept besides the MLB record held by Orel Hershiser of the Dodgers. 

Hetch

Make that 32.1 innings without allowing a run.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The new issue of Sport's Illustrated makes a case for Koji for the Cy Young award. Obviously, it will be tough to beat out Scherzer. But he certainly will be considered. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Out with the old.

And in with the new.

But not so new afterall.

Hideki Matsui and Koji Uehara

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

A example of a Dominant Season.

Besides the Current streaks of 31.2 innings without giving up an ER and 34 straight batters retired

Koji appeared in his 66th game tonight pitching his 662/3 of an Inning. In those 65 games he has allowed an ER in only 6 of them.

On 4/21 he gave up 1 Run on a Solo HR.

On 4/26 he gave up 1 Run on a Solo HR.

On 5/4 he gave up 2 Runs on a 2 Run  HR.

On 5/29 he gave up 1 Run on a Solo HR.

On 6/30 he gave up 1 Run on a Solo HR. The last time he gave up an Earned Run

On 6/9 vs the Angels.....he entered the game in the Top 8th with a 10-3 lead....He got the 1st out on a ground out....Hit a batter(his only one this year)....Got the 2nd out on another groundout.....walked the next 2 guys(2 of only 9 walks this year) ....and then gave up a 2 run ground ball single up the middle to JB Shuck......these are the only 2 earned runs this year he has given up not the result of a Home run....and they were in a blowout.

He won't win it  but that is a Cy Young worthy season

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

Peter Abraham:

"Uehara's streak of batters retired is the longest in team history. Ellis Kinder had the old record of 32 in 1952. His scoreless innings streak is the longest for a Sox reliever since Dick Radatz went 33 innings in 1963. The 26 consecutive appearances without a run are a team record. Daniel Bard had the old record of 25 in 2011."

Sections
Shortcuts