Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..

In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : yeah I don't realy like that Jbay if you are going to give the guy a chance give him a real chance I don't think the yanks gave joba enough time or handle it the best way
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

According to chapter 11, volume 2 of the Joba Rulez, he was handled right.

I ain't never seen anything like that, or even close to like that.  You should've traded him the day you thought he might not be a starter.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : Baldy - don't lower yourself to the level of the (admittedly very few) racists by defending Darvish's ethnicity.  It's irrelevant as you obviously know. While there are real questions about the quality of the Japanese league, Darvish's lack of experience in Ted's MFL, etc., the people saying they "don't want any more Japanese pitchers" are a disgrace.  If they have miraculously found someone to breed with them - and imagine how awful they are! - I pity their children. Wait, I have an idea!  Let's go sign lots of Jewish pitchers because they're all like Sandy Koufax!  And if there are any Black, Canadian potheads like Fergie Jenkins out there, gizza shout and we'll sign you too!
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

I sincerely feel sorry for you having to go through life feeling that the slightest comment which doesn't fit your narrow criteria makes them 'racist'. Get a grip and think outside your very small box.....sad, very sad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : I sincerely feel sorry for you having to go through life feeling that the slightest comment which doesn't fit your narrow criteria makes them 'racist'. Get a grip and think outside your very small box.....sad, very sad.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

Do you really think that "not wanting any more Japanese pitchers" is a reasonable viewpoint and not racist?  That requires a yes/no answer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cup1938. Show cup1938's posts

please do not sign darvich. i am sick of watching baseball in october. this year was great rooting against the yankees and rays and just plain  -----RELAXING!!!!!

GIRADI AND MORGAN

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So, if I were to sum up the contents of the OPs viewpoint in a seasonsal Christmas song, it would have to be "All I Want for Christmas is Yu"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGlory. Show BostonGlory's posts

THE POSTING FEE DOES NOT COUNT AGAINST THE LUXURY TAX. And after you win the silent auction, you're essentially BIDDING AGAINST YOURSELF. This means that there is NO EXCUSE for John Henry and Larry Lucchino not to be agressive here. They can't hide behind the luxury tax because IT DOES NOT COUNT. And they could probably get Yu Darvish to sign a prorated multi-year deal that only costs about $6-$8 million in 2012, about what Marco Scutaro is due to make if he's not traded somewhere. Really, there is NO EXCUSE and no luxury tax to hide behind. That is, of course, unless John Henry Frazee and Larry Sinden Lucchino are petty, dirt cheap, and really expect the fans to come back for Fenway's 100th Anniversary Celebration after "approaching the offseason as if they were the Pirates or Royals".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

OK, the posting fee doesn't count against the payroll but that doesn't exclude it as being a real expense. It is like buying a new car when you must fork over $10,000 to the door man at the dealership for the privilege of entering the showroom. You then must haggle with the salesman and spend another $8000 to buy a car. The real cost of the car is therefore $18,000.

It just might be that John Henry doesn't have a spare $80-100 mil. available on to spend on another risky long term signing especially after he got burned on the Matsuzake posting fee and contract. You might want to pass the hat and do a neighborhood canvas to bring in the millions of $$$$.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

THE SOX SHOULD DEFINITELY GO AFTER DARVISH.
    AS IT IS, WE WILL HAVE THE SAME PITCHING STAFF,
    AND BECKETT IS BEGINNING TO DETERIORATE. I
    THINK THAT PHYSICALLY,DARVISH AT 25 HAS A VERY
    GOOD REPERTOIRE, & WE HAVE A MANAGER WHO IS
    FAMILIAR WITH THE JAPANESE CULTURE AND PLAYERS.
    IF WE DONT DO IT, THE YANKEES WILL. DO NOT
    BELIEVE FOR A SECOND, THAT THE BOMBERS WILL NOT
    MAKE A LAST SECOND GRAB OF DARVISH. THEY WILL
    GET HIM, IF BOSTON SITS ON ITS DUFF,AND YOU
    CAN KISS BOSTON'S CHANCES GOODBYE FOR SEVERAL
    YEARS. DARVISH WILL BE A FORCE IN BOSTON.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : Do you really think that "not wanting any more Japanese pitchers" is a reasonable viewpoint and not racist?  That requires a yes/no answer.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

You're asking if we should sign any more 50mil posting fee Japanese pitchers, whose competition level there is equivilant to our USA's AA or AAA talent.  The answer to that is NO.  It has NOTHING to do with race, color, nationality, or anything else....it's all about talent.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

For the two debating racism, you could qualify your initial statement like this; "Do not sign any players where an exhorbitant posting fee is required".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

A rebuttal for that is....Why should I, the fan, care at all about money spent on a posting fee? The owner of the Red Sox has enjoyed 700+ straight sellout games at the highest premiums in baseball, a regional TV network with advertising money, and owns arguably the most famous soccer team in the world. And he wants to avoid the luxury tax??? Oh, I apologize...gas for that world-sailing yacht must be expensive...I, the fan, wouldn't want to take away your gas Mr. Henry.

BS! Sign Darvish...young, talented, reasonable contract...meshes well with Bobby V/DiceK.. I'll take him in the rotation...let Bard/Aceves/Miller/Doubront battle out the 5th spot...losers go to the bullpen.

Don't use the money excuse..please..it makes me sick.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Yesterday Buster Olney of ESPN reported that, within the baseball industry, the Texas Rangers are considered to be the front runners in the Darvish sweepstakes. Olney notes that this is believed because of the amount of scouting Texas has done on Darvish. However, the Rangers said last week that, while they are interested in Darvish, they weren’t willing to gamble $100 million on the 25-year-old. Early reports have Darvish commanding a total of $80-100 million in posting fees and contract this winter. Another club that has been tied to Darvish, mostly because of need, is the New York Yankees. The Yankees were tied to Darvish over the past few months when it was unknown if the Japanese pitcher would make the jump to Major League Baseball. Now that it is known that Darvish will be posted, New York has been fairly quiet regarding him. Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported that the Yankees have yet to decide if they will make a “significant posting bid” for Darvish or if they will even “submit one at all”. While Sherman says the Yankees are hoping to curtail their future spending, the larger issue with Darvish is his jump to the majors. New York took a risk on another Japanese pitcher, Kei Igawa , and saw that decision blow up in their face. While the Yankees say that Darvish is far superior to Igawa, they still are concerned about Yu not only having to “change level of competition, but also cultures, size of the baseball, slope of the mound and training regimen”.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Good post Utica Club.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Yankee revenue was $427 mil. in 2010. Red Sox revenues were $272 mil. Yankees. Yanks had 40% more revenue or $155 mil. more than Boston. That is why they can afford a payroll that exceeds $204 mil. and can afford to go after Darvish this winter. By the way, the Red Sox had an operating deficit in 2010. They are not as wealthy as your agenda wishes them to be.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : You're asking if we should sign any more 50mil posting fee Japanese pitchers, whose competition level there is equivilant to our USA's AA or AAA talent.  The answer to that is NO.  It has NOTHING to do with race, color, nationality, or anything else....it's all about talent.
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

I agree with you write here, Amp, as do many others here and in the real world.  But that is very different from people writing "no more Japanese pitchers, please" and suchlike, which is a view some people hold.  And it's racist.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]For the two debating racism, you could qualify your initial statement like this; "Do not sign any players where an exhorbitant posting fee is required".
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

True, but it just irks me when someone uses the term Japanese, Korean, Indian..or whatever, and they're accused of bias and racism.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkKk8s0CFI I'll take this...
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

All looks good but I saw an equally impressive video of Dice K with the whole gyro pitch and I was wowed!

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

199th anniversary of Fenway Park? I didn't realize that the Park was opened in 1813. It must have been tough to field a team and draw fans to the Park then with the War of 1812 going on all around New England.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : All looks good but I saw an equally impressive video of Dice K with the whole gyro pitch and I was wowed!
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

I have heard this defense before. Making the comparison of the two ends with the fact that they were both posted. They are not similar pitchers in stature, demeanor, or approach to hitters. 

Bidding and potentially signing Darvish should be based solely on his projection to succeed in the MLB, not on DiceK's past successes and failures.

I see him as just as likely to succeed as any other young pitcher we have.
    (Although I'm very high on Barnes)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : I have heard this defense before. Making the comparison of the two ends with the fact that they were both posted. They are not similar pitchers in stature, demeanor, or approach to hitters.  Bidding and potentially signing Darvish should be based solely on his projection to succeed in the MLB, not on DiceK's past successes and failures. I see him as just as likely to succeed as any other young pitcher we have. (Although I'm very high on Barnes)
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]

It should be based on the absurdity of the posting fee. How would you like going to buy a new car and being forced to pay $10,000 to enter the showroom before you were to negotiate the price of the car later. Seems like a foolish practice to me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Answer this question with honesty...

Do you truly care if Henry spends money to acquire him? 

If they think he is the best talent they can add and the best way to improve the team in the present and future, wouldn't you want them to do that?

25. This post has been removed.