Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Re: Open letter to Ben.

If the right deal could be struck I'd be open to making a bid for him. The good news is the bid itself doesn't count towards the luxury tax, and we could hopefully back load the deals salary structure. I've heard he's got a power pitchers body and incredible stuff, and with Dice K coming back in August and Valentine as manager we could become the go to spot for Japanese players in coming years. Interesting...

In Response to Open letter to Ben.:
    [QUOTE]Dear Ben: The time is winding down to put in a bid for Yu Darvish. So take off your apron, and be a man and go to Mr. Henry's office. Tell his secretary that you don't have an appointment and proceed to his door and knock on it loudly. In a deep, manly voice, say you are Ben Cherington, the Red Sox GM, and you're coming in. Once you're in the office, pound on his desk and say you want Yu Darvish. Say that you want to throw caution to the wind and that you're the man in charge. Don't be afraid that he is going to fire you. Tell him that the organization needs to put out a first class team for the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park. And since pitching is the most important factor in winning a championship, Yu Darvish makes sense. Explain that you'll fill the right field position with inexpensive players like Reddick and/or Kalish, find a low cost 5th starter and put Bard as the closer and Aceves as the set up man. But you need Darvish. Remind Mr. Henry that Darvish will thrive in Boston with Bobby V as manager. And emphasize that the rotation of Beckett/Lester/Buchholtz/Darvish combined with the Sox offensive machine and with Bobby V as the manager, will bring glory to this organization. NESN's ratings will go through the roof, sellouts will continue and John Henry's net worth will continue to skyrocket. So Ben you only have until Wednesday to do this. Hurry, before it's too late! Sincerely, Red Sox Nation
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..

Well said...couldn't agree more. Hope to see him in Fenway with the home whites.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

With the Sox plans being to have Bard as a starter, it doesn't appear that the Sox will go after Darvish.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Yesterday Buster Olney of ESPN reported that, within the baseball industry, the Texas Rangers are considered to be the front runners in the Darvish sweepstakes. Olney notes that this is believed because of the amount of scouting Texas has done on Darvish.

However, the Rangers said last week that, while they are interested in Darvish, they weren’t willing to gamble $100 million on the 25-year-old. Early reports have Darvish commanding a total of $80-100 million in posting fees and contract this winter.

Another club that has been tied to Darvish, mostly because of need, is the New York Yankees. The Yankees were tied to Darvish over the past few months when it was unknown if the Japanese pitcher would make the jump to Major League Baseball. Now that it is known that Darvish will be posted, New York has been fairly quiet regarding him.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported that the Yankees have yet to decide if they will make a “significant posting bid” for Darvish or if they will even “submit one at all”. While Sherman says the Yankees are hoping to curtail their future spending, the larger issue with Darvish is his jump to the majors.

New York took a risk on another Japanese pitcher, Kei Igawa, and saw that decision blow up in their face. While the Yankees say that Darvish is far superior to Igawa, they still are concerned about Yu not only having to “change level of competition, but also cultures, size of the baseball, slope of the mound and training regimen”.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Golly 20004Idiots, I didnot realize that without Darvish the Sox were anything but a first class organization.
    Actually how does spending 80 to 100 million for Darvish make the Sox a first class team. Darvish has never pitched in North America as a professional, is like any other player just a prospect until he proves himself, and will have to adjust to  like in the USA, pitch with a bigger baseball[Japanese baseballs are smaller], face the best player's in the world[as opposed to pitching to Double A or triple A player's] and pitch Every 5th day as opposed to once a week.
    Don't we ever learn to be a little leary of player's coming into the BIGS with little or no experience?
    Now if Darvish is as good as advertised and has enough confidence in his ability, then let him sign a reasonable  contract with whomever and prove himself, after all if he is as good as advertised, then he will eventually get big paychecks.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : it's still open for discussion traven BOSTON -- When Spring Training starts, Red Sox right-hander Daniel Bard will be a starting pitcher. However, the club is keeping the option open of making Bard the closer for the regular season if that's where he is needed most. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111211&content_id=26146410&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Valentine said Saturday at Christmas at Fenway he'll give Bard 18-20 innings as a starter, then determine if Bard will move to the rotation or keep him in the bullpen.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..:
    [QUOTE]Dear Ben: The time is winding down to put in a bid for Yu Darvish. So take off your apron, and be a man and go to Mr. Henry's office. Tell his secretary that you don't have an appointment and proceed to his door and knock on it loudly. In a deep, manly voice, say you are Ben Cherington, the Red Sox GM, and you're coming in. Once you're in the office, pound on his desk and say you want Yu Darvish. Say that you want to throw caution to the wind and that you're the man in charge. Don't be afraid that he is going to fire you. Tell him that the organization needs to put out a first class team for the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park. And since pitching is the most important factor in winning a championship, Yu Darvish makes sense. Explain that you'll fill the right field position with inexpensive players like Reddick and/or Kalish, find a low cost 5th starter and put Bard as the closer and Aceves as the set up man. But you need Darvish. Remind Mr. Henry that Darvish will thrive in Boston with Bobby V as manager. And emphasize that the rotation of Beckett/Lester/Buchholtz/Darvish combined with the Sox offensive machine and with Bobby V as the manager, will bring glory to this organization. NESN's ratings will go through the roof, sellouts will continue and John Henry's net worth will continue to skyrocket. So Ben you only have until Wednesday to do this. Hurry, before it's too late! Sincerely, Red Sox Nation

Sounds nice in all but do you even know anything about Darvish other than what you've heard?? Have you seen him pitch??  I dont think any of us have except scouts and let me remind you that we had this same scenario with Dice K!! So please, before you start endorsing someone, at least know what/who youre endorsing!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : Sounds nice in all but do you even know anything about Darvish other than what you've heard?? Have you seen him pitch??  I dont think any of us have except scouts and let me remind you that we had this same scenario with Dice K!! So please, before you start endorsing someone, at least know what/who youre endorsing!
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

CA, there are a bevy of youtube and other platform videos of Darvish pitching.  Of course, it is just television feed, not live scouting.  but it is enough to form an idea about what Darvish could bring to the table.  In my view, the footage of Darvish reveals something different than other great japanese pitchers like Matsuzaka.  Beyond the situational destruction of hitters in Japan and in international play (much like Dice-K video from prior to MLB), Darvish shows some raw skills that go beyond the pitching craft mastery (which can be overestimated when facing hitters less than the monster mashers of the majors).  Darvish's frame, 6'5 lanky with strong legs, is major league for sure.  His fastball, mid-nineties has movement and late life.  His breaking stuff has sick bite.  Total control of his change-up.  And, for that matter, incredible control of all his pitches.  From a pure stuff stand-point, he looks far more MLB-sure to me than Matsuzaka.  Dunno.  Of course it is a gamble, and the posting fee makes it a big one.  But, for my money, I'd put my chips in with Yu.  Watch some video.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i totally agree yu darvish is the way to go. especially if this team does not want to give out huge contracts. his posting fee wont count against the luxury tax so the sox only have to worry about his actual contract which should be somewhere around dice k's. the sox have a huge following in japan and would make tons of money off yu darvish from a financial standpoint. plus we would benefit from his skills on the mound. this team needs pitching. if they think stretching out daniel bard is the answer than think again. sure maybe bard could fill the 5 spot but we need a number 3 as buchholz at this point is realisticly a number 4. also by signing darvish we can use our prospect to acquire a closer (andrew bailey) and a right fielder (quentin?) instead of using them on a starting pitcher. i really hope the sox put in a huge bid like the did on dice k. this time they wont regret it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Open letter to Ben.

In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben.:
    [QUOTE]If the right deal could be struck I'd be open to making a bid for him. The good news is the bid itself doesn't count towards the luxury tax, and we could hopefully back load the deals salary structure. I've heard he's got a power pitchers body and incredible stuff, and with Dice K coming back in August and Valentine as manager we could become the go to spot for Japanese players in coming years. Interesting... In Response to Open letter to Ben. :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Backloading the deal wouldn't benefit the team concerning the luxury tax.  For tax purposes, the average annual values of contracts are used.

I see Darvish as a gamble, but it's certainly the clubs best chance to go big, while staying in budget.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The average annual contract value for Lackey is now 13.8 or 12.5 mil. depending on how you wish to calculate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]The average annual contract value for Lackey is now 13.8 or 12.5 mil. depending on how you wish to calculate.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

How are you getting $12.5M?  I get ~$13.83M, since the bonus is prorated over the life of the deal in AAV for tax purposes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

For those already sold on Darvish, there's some sobering video on You Tube of him getting lit up by the Cuban national team. Maybe a bad day but they were raking against him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

If Darvish could be had for the same posting fee and contract the Sox got Matsuzaka for, I am all for that.

Ben should bring Bobby V in to pound the desk with him.

Darvish pitching, say, for 6 years and 10 million a year will outperform most other FA pitching contracts, IMO.  The problem is that it probably costs 100+ million total cost with the closing fee, whcih averages out to a close to $20 million a year.  But I still predict he will out perform almost every other pitcher given a contract of $100 million or more.  No, I haven't personally scouted him, but what I see in those videos is the type of pitcher you pay a big bonus to and fast track to the majors, much like the Nationals did with Stroudsburg.  He looks to be that good!

Bring him on board, then decide what to do with Aceves and Bard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMkKk8s0CFI

I'll take this...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Darvish is different than any other pitcher who's come over from Japan. VERY different.
    First, he's built like an American power pitcher. 6'5, about 220, with broad shoulders.
    Second, he's of mixed race--Iranian/Japanese--and has dealt with being "different' his whole life
    Third, he's been exposed to the english language his whole life, as his parents met in America
    Fourth, he's got experience pitching on 4-days' rest
    Fifth, he's outperformed all the others who have come over--and by a wide margin. Nomo had more strikeouts,
    but Darvish has been better than Nomo--and everyone else--in all other ways
    Sixth, he's got legit 95mph heat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Darvish is different than any other pitcher who's come over from Japan. VERY different. First, he's built like an American power pitcher. 6'5, about 220, with broad shoulders. Second, he's of mixed race--Iranian/Japanese--and has dealt with being "different' his whole life Third, he's been exposed to the english language his whole life, as his parents met in America Fourth, he's got experience pitching on 4-days' rest Fifth, he's outperformed all the others who have come over--and by a wide margin. Nomo had more strikeouts, but Darvish has been better than Nomo--and everyone else--in all other ways Sixth, he's got legit 95mph heat.
    Posted by bald-predictions[/QUOTE]

Baldy - don't lower yourself to the level of the (admittedly very few) racists by defending Darvish's ethnicity.  It's irrelevant as you obviously know.

While there are real questions about the quality of the Japanese league, Darvish's lack of experience in Ted's MFL, etc., the people saying they "don't want any more Japanese pitchers" are a disgrace.  If they have miraculously found someone to breed with them - and imagine how awful they are! - I pity their children.

Wait, I have an idea!  Let's go sign lots of Jewish pitchers because they're all like Sandy Koufax!  And if there are any Black, Canadian potheads like Fergie Jenkins out there, gizza shout and we'll sign you too!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In Response to Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..:

Yes, let's do this as soon as John Henry returns to Fenway from his yacht in Florida or Liverpool, whichever strikes his fancy at the moment.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Found the Cuba link.
    Throwing a real baseball may account for some of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Ihfr81jJY

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : it's still open for discussion traven BOSTON -- When Spring Training starts, Red Sox right-hander Daniel Bard will be a starting pitcher. However, the club is keeping the option open of making Bard the closer for the regular season if that's where he is needed most. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111211&content_id=26146410&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

The article makes no sense.  There is no option of him becoming a closer.  We won't decide in March to make Bard a starter, and then go out and get a closer.  They won't be there.  If we sign a closer, then he'll either set up or start.  If we don't sign a closer, then he'll close.

Sections
Shortcuts