Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..

How ownership plays the money game with limited resources is important to the astute fan. Yankee fans are now experiencing the same situation. Did you ever play Monopoly as a kid? Wasn't the challenge and thrill of it doing the best possible using limited money? If you don't like playing the game then go follow the team that has an unlimited checking account. You just might be happier being a Yankee fan where the norm is to buy a pennant. You might also wish to pray that John Henry gets replaced with Bill Gates or Warren Buffet and then you can be guaranteed a World Series Trophy before the season starts every season. My guess is that spoiled, entitled fans are never happy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Utica...yes, when I play monopoly I like the challenge. When I watch my favorite baseball team, I just want to watch them succeed. IMO, I think he is the best option for their biggest need. Pitching! I completely disregard the posting fee. Honestly. All I look at is years and dollars. For that reason it makes even more sense regarding his age and potential. His relationship with Bobby V is another perk.

Would you rather your favorite team keep the purse strings tight while charging the highest ticket prices for consecutive third place finishes?

I wouldn't.

You are advocating for that idea -  so please defend it...and without calling me a spoiled, entitled fan. Just explain why you would prefer them to put a lesser product on the field because you think they shouldn't spend the money?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Zac - Yes, I'm sticking with it. I think anything above 55 is a win. $61,111,112.23.
    As I said to Utica, this number is non existent in my book and by MLB luxury tax standards as well. 

Sox add 25 year old talented pitcher with potential for 5-6 Years at 45-60 M.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

They have made their best effort with their limited resources IMO. Many here on the forum who are adding up the pieces to see how close they are to budget feel the same way. If you don't beleve in their budget then you should go follow another team. If the sky is your limit then you apparently are a spoiled, entitled fan. It would be better for you to ask Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to buy a team in Montana and have a payroll of $300 mil. that wins by 40 games per year. Only then would you be content. Most fans don't feel that way. You are the exception. How many kids who have unlimited toys and $$$ ever end up being happy in life. The challenge and journey are the most important. Was the Impossible Dream of 1967 more fulfilling to you than having Bill Gates monopolize the market and destroy the competition if he became an owner? I can't answer your questions any better than this since we seem to be on different frequencies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'm starting to think the Sox do plan on bidding on Darvish.

I was wondering if Bobby Valentine sold them on him, though I am not sure how much of Darvish Valentine has ever seen. 

Valentine managed in the Japanese Pacific League; Darvish played in NPB. So I am not sure if he saw him much.   Still Valentine does have a lot of praise for a lot of Japanese players, and he had to take in some NPB action when he was there.  He's too much of a baseball junkie not to have...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..:
    [QUOTE]They have made their best effort with their limited resources IMO. Many here on the forum who are adding up the pieces to see how close they are to budget feel the same way. If you don't beleve in their budget then you should go follow another team. If the sky is your limit then you apparently are a spoiled, entitled fan. It would be better for you to ask Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to buy a team in Montana and have a payroll of $300 mil. that wins by 40 games per year. Only then would you be content. Most fans don't feel that way. You are the exception. How many kids who have unlimited toys and $$$ ever end up being happy in life. The challenge and journey are the most important. Was the Impossible Dream of 1967 more fulfilling to you than having Bill Gates monopolize the market and destroy the competition if he became an owner? I can't answer your questions any better than this since we seem to be on different frequencies.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

U -

Isn't that the truth. It's not that I don't find underdog stories fulfilling. I do. And if I ran my own business, I would certainly try to run a profitable business model. But for me, pitching is not the area to go cheap on. The more impact arms the better. 

The conversation that got us here was debating over the price of the bidding fee. My point was that price to me means nothing as a fan. If I was the owner, I wouldn't be happy about it. But I'm a fan. I think he's the best pitcher out there, and if you look at the contract he gets for CBT purposes, it will be reasonable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I made a mistake in typing....let me restate.

"My point was that the cost of the posting fee bid means nothing to me as a fan"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

bidding on darvish makes a lot of sense for the sox.  the sox need a starter and darvish could end up being a front of the rotation guy. darvish should not be compared to dice k in any way, shape or form. darvish is a completely different pitcher and was far better than dice k in japan. Here are the reasons why i believe the sox should make a strong bid for darvish:

1) Marketing - the sox will make a ton off darvish merchandise due to the huge fan base they have in japan. 

2) No loss of prospects: signing darvish elminates the need to trade prospects for a starter. that way we could focus on getting someone like andrew bailey. Team appear to asking a ton for their pitchers ie gio gonzalez, danks, etc.

3) bobby v - if any manager could get the most out of darvish its bobby v. he speaks japanese and understands both the mlb and japanese league. he could help darvish with the transition. 

I think the sox would be crazy not to place a strong bid on yu darvish. He would fill the need for a starter and would only cost money and not prospects. those prospects could then be used to acquire a closer (andrew bailey) and a right fielder (carlos quentin?). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish..:
    [QUOTE]Dear Ben: The time is winding down to put in a bid for Yu Darvish. So take off your apron, and be a man and go to Mr. Henry's office. Tell his secretary that you don't have an appointment and proceed to his door and knock on it loudly. In a deep, manly voice, say you are Ben Cherington, the Red Sox GM, and you're coming in. Once you're in the office, pound on his desk and say you want Yu Darvish. Say that you want to throw caution to the wind and that you're the man in charge. Don't be afraid that he is going to fire you. Tell him that the organization needs to put out a first class team for the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park. And since pitching is the most important factor in winning a championship, Yu Darvish makes sense. Explain that you'll fill the right field position with inexpensive players like Reddick and/or Kalish, find a low cost 5th starter and put Bard as the closer and Aceves as the set up man. But you need Darvish. Remind Mr. Henry that Darvish will thrive in Boston with Bobby V as manager. And emphasize that the rotation of Beckett/Lester/Buchholtz/Darvish combined with the Sox offensive machine and with Bobby V as the manager, will bring glory to this organization. NESN's ratings will go through the roof, sellouts will continue and John Henry's net worth will continue to skyrocket. So Ben you only have until Wednesday to do this. Hurry, before it's too late! Sincerely, Red Sox Nation
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

funny post.
    been thinking and talking about him for a month. we need pitching. they should evaluate him and if he looks the real deal he will be much less expensive than if we got a guy of equal caliber as a free agent (since teh bidding amount wont count against the ceiling). however i think they may be wary just cause of dice k even though the 2 are not comparable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Having Valentine as manager would appear to be more inticing to the youngster. Hopefully that gives us a leg up in acquiring him, provided BC has the desire or the stones to try to get Henry to open his wallet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I just had to bring this back, since the deadline for filing a posting fee is about 3 hours away.

DARVISH!

DARVISH!

DARVISH!

DARVISH!

DARVISH!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Having Valentine as manager would appear to be more inticing to the youngster. Hopefully that gives us a leg up in acquiring him, provided BC has the desire or the stones to try to get Henry to open his wallet.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

There is no leg up involved here.  Whoever blind posts the most money gets exclusive negotiating rights.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

How soon after the deadline do you think we will know who got the Motts?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I hope tonight but I read it could be as late as 12/20 I'm guessing it depends on how low the bid is sounds like the team goes through their board of directors as to whether they agree to except the bid   B4 they announce who the yankees won
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Haha.  Certainly is interesting.  Both the Sox and Yankees went big on the blind bid and, to more (Igawa) or less (Dice) of an extent, got burned.  It will be interesting to see if either or both are too gun shy on Yu to put up ridiculous blind cash.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Bidding closed...very interested to find out the results

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Gives new meaning to you have to pay to playMoney mouth

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Gives new meaning to you have to pay to play
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

or, Pay to Pay, as it were

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox did not bid on Yu Darvish, according to a reported tweet from the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/deadline-for-darvish-bids-4pm-central-today.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Ben regarding Yu Darvish.. : or, Pay to Pay, as it were
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

or not.....had my doubts Sox would bid

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

TitleTown:
    Isn't that the truth. It's not that I don't find underdog stories fulfilling. I do. And if I ran my own business, I would certainly try to run a profitable business model. But for me, pitching is not the area to go cheap on. The more impact arms the better.

The conversation that got us here was debating over the price of the bidding fee. My point was that price to me means nothing as a fan. If I was the owner, I wouldn't be happy about it. But I'm a fan. I think he's the best pitcher out there, and if you look at the contract he gets for CBT purposes, it will be reasonable.

Great honest response and I appreciate it. I however can't seperate myself from the whole picture. I am both a fan of the players, the uniform, and those who are upstairs in the Front office. I also am a fan of the prospects and the draft picks. I hate to see players that we have been familiar with in their evolution from draft pick to player on the parent roster get traded away. Tonight I am glad that we traded for Melancon but sad to see Lowrie go. Hopefully Melancon excels here and Lowrie does likewise. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Lowrie excel given that he is healthy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Utica -

I too enjoy following draft picks and their progression through the minor leagues. Another positive to Darvish was that no prospects had to be given away. If the report is correct and RS did not at least bid on Darvish I would be disappointed. If they lost the bid, I would accept it. But this was a legitimate way to improve the team and if they did not even place a bid...then the FO isn't doing their job. It's their job to explore all options to improve the team and YD was as good of an option as any.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Guess they decided that they couldn't afford the price and risk. Sox got burned before on Matsuzaka and Yanks got burned on Igawa.  It is a crapshoot and can ruin a team's financial future. Only the Yankees can afford such risks.