Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Six months after the New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Raysdropped the curtain on the 2011 season with one of the best, and most intense, baseball games played all year, they raised the curtain on the 2012 season with the best game played so far this season.

Small sample size, I know. But judging off the last couple of meetings between these two teams, this might be shaping up as a better rivalry than -- dare we say it? -- the Yankees and Red Sox.

For the past two seasons, the Yankees and Rays have been the class of the AL East, the Red Sox the show horse in a three-horse field.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7784851/bombers-rays-continue-develop-rivalry-surpassed-red-sox

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display

Babe, I listened to the game as I mowed the yard yesterday ... that MLB At Bat app is awesome. It was an incredible game to be sure. But I wouldn't equate the Yankees-Rays to the Yankees-Sox quite yet. And remember, last year's finale, while a thrilling finish, meant nothing to you guys. (Well, other than screwing us, of course).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display

In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display:
    Babe, I listened to the game as I mowed the yard yesterday ... that MLB At Bat app is awesome. It was an incredible game to be sure. But I wouldn't equate the Yankees-Rays to the Yankees-Sox quite yet. And remember, last year's finale, while a thrilling finish, meant nothing to you guys. (Well, other than screwing us, of course).
    Posted by LloydDobler

I never stated that was my opinion.

To me the Yanks / sawx is not a rivalry. duke / UNC is a rivalry.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display:
    Posted by LloydDobler

IMO, it was a dig.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

In response to "Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display":
    In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display : I never stated that was my opinion. To me the Yanks / sawx is not a rivalry. duke / UNC is a rivalry. Posted by TBINFL
    You sir, know nothing about baseball rivalries.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In response to "Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display": You sir, know nothing about baseball rivalries.
    Posted by MikeNagy stilleatsworms

27-7 is lopsided, hardly a rivalry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

So by your definition, the Yankees-Rays is even less of a rivalry. So ... what's the point of the post again?
    And Babe, be honest ... if this wasn't a rivalry, you wouldn't be here. I'm guessing you don't hang out on the Royals' message board.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

So by your definition, the Yankees-Rays is even less of a rivalry. So ... what's the point of the post again?
    Posted by LloydDobler

I just thought it would get a lot of discussion and to see what others opinions were.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display : I just thought it would get a lot of discussion and to see what others opinions were.
    Posted by TBINFL

Oh. OK. Well, there's mine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display : 27-7 is lopsided, hardly a rivalry.
    Posted by TBINFL

LOL!

That's what you think a rivalry is based on?

What teams did 100 years ago?

Rivalries are generally based on what people attending the games can remember.  KC v the Raiders was once a network stopper.  Nobody even watches it any more.

I think you know less about rivalries than you do about BB.

Just as a clue, check to see how many Sunday night games are scheduled between the NYY and RS.  Follow the money.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display : LOL! That's what you think a rivalry is based on? What teams did 100 years ago? Rivalries are generally based on what people attending the games can remember.  KC v the Raiders was once a network stopper.  Nobody even watches it any more. I think you know less about rivalries than you do about BB. Just as a clue, check to see how many Sunday night games are scheduled between the NYY and RS.  Follow the money.
    Posted by Joebreidey

LOL....that's exactly the point of the article. Lately the rays and the Yanks have been in the battle while the red flops haven't.

Obviously you are about as sharp as a marble. No wonder you couldn't find jess, jete and Space at professor thom's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display : LOL....that's exactly the point of the article. Lately the rays and the Yanks have been in the battle while the red flops haven't. Obviously you are about as sharp as a marble. No wonder you couldn't find jess, jete and Space at professor thom's.
    Posted by TBINFL

So do you agree with the article? Because if you do, you're in conflict with yourself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

He should have had a plastic parrot on his shoulder at Professor Thoms.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display : So do you agree with the article? Because if you do, you're in conflict with yourself.
    Posted by LloydDobler

No, I don't think either are truly a rival to the Yanks.

But the rays are certainly more relevant than the sawx recently.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

He should have had a plastic parrot on his shoulder at Professor Thoms.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c

Hey kimpikesaysthis, log on to the elboroom.com and go to the patio cam this afternoon and see how I "photoshop" myself on there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I like how you refuse to capitilize "rays" or "sawx" but always capitalize "Yanks".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

I like how you refuse to capitilize "rays" or "sawx" but always capitalize "Yanks".
    Posted by BurritoT

You're pretty quick.

It only took you three years to grasp that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If the Sox-Yankees isn't a rivalry (which is just complete non-sense) then how come Yankee fans feel like the have to be in here debating with us constantly????

For the record I have no problem with Yankees in here and even trolls to some extent,  I find the drama entertaining. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

If the Sox-Yankees isn't a rivalry (which is just complete non-sense) then how come Yankee fans feel like the have to be in here debating with us constantly???? For the record I have no problem with Yankees in here and even trolls to some extent,  I find the drama entertaining. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Because I find the crowd in here to be pretty entertaining, aside from kimpikesaysthis.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display : You're pretty quick. It only took you three years to grasp that.
    Posted by TBINFL

It only took me three years to pay attention to anything you had to say...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Well,by your definition,the Sox-Yankees aren't a rivalry.Head to head,12 wins to 6 last year pretty much makes the Yankees irrelevant.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Well,by your definition,the Sox-Yankees aren't a rivalry.Head to head,12 wins to 6 last year pretty much makes the Yankees irrelevant.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

I said that the Yanks / sawx are not a rivalry.

But I would hardly deem a team that finished in first place as irrelevant. Now on the other hand, a third place team that can't seem to make the playoffs anymore ........ well ..........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Posted by mrmojo1120

That's a wierd statement; are the RS relevant not winning a PS game since '08? Perhaps you mean it in an odd context with respect to the rivalry. I'll go with that unless you correct me otherwise.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display : I said that the Yanks / sawx are not a rivalry. But I would hardly deem a team that finished in first place as irrelevant. Now on the other hand, a third place team that can't seem to make the playoffs anymore ........ well ..........
    Posted by TBINFL

Well, the Sox and Yankees won the same number of playoff series last fall. So there's that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day? It felt more like October as the best AL East rivalry was on display : Well, the Sox and Yankees won the same number of playoff series last fall. So there's that.
    Posted by LloydDobler

There's a marked difference between making the PS and not, especially when you take into consideration that the RS were the favorite to take the whole shebang. 

Sections
Shortcuts