Opening Day SS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Opening Day SS

I have been critical of Iglesias and his readiness for MLB play, but I must admit that he is impressing me thus far in spring training. I am starting to think that he should be the opening day starter at SS. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Opening Day SS

I also have been of the No reason To Rush camp with Jose.  But, the more he continues to show and prove in camp, the more I am open to throwing caution to the wind.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NunciRom. Show NunciRom's posts

In Response to Opening Day SS:
    I have been critical of Iglesias and his readiness for MLB play, but I must admit that he is impressing me thus far in spring training. I am starting to think that he should be the opening day starter at SS. 
    Posted by TitleTown11

Guess that you were wrong. Georom does that all of the time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day SS:
      YOUR GOSH DARN RIGHT !!!!!   DAD & BILL-806 , WAY A HEAD OF THE CURVE ON THIS ONE.......... OR SHUCKS, IN MY HUMBLE WAY , I HATE BEING "A TOLD YOU SO" !!!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Bill, nothing certain yet.  I think, for management and for Space-arm-chair-management, Jose has to continue to hit well through camp in order to take the risk.  His swing looks pretty fluid right now.  But, talk to me when the pitchers start rounding into form and breaking him off some serious change-ups, sliders, and curves.  If he is still lacing the ball, hey, let the Iggy era begin, and I will proudly say BILL TOLD ME SO.  Tell you what, I am gonna be down in FL for some scouting in two weeks.  I will give you my proper scouting analysis and also submit it to "Luccianos".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NunciRom. Show NunciRom's posts

Have a nice trip.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by TitleTown11

The Sox would have one heck of a ball club if Iggy is finanly maturing enough to be handed the starting position.  More youth, range, overall D. and a decent bat combined at SS has been missing for quite some time.  

Management would like nothing better to drop more payrol and get younger with kids like Iggy, Middlebrooks and Lav, we need to lock up Jacoby at some point if possible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

YOUR GOSH DARN RIGHT !!!!!   DAD & BILL-806 , WAY A HEAD OF THE CURVE ON THIS ONE.......... OR SHUCKS, IN MY HUMBLE WAY , I HATE BEING "A TOLD YOU SO" !!!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806
    If you think that you are "way ahead of the curve on this one," you must not be reading other posters who were campaigning for Iglesias way back. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Posted by TitleTown11

Have you seen any Sox games or been to the park yet this year to watch?

"...he is impressing me thus far in spring training..."

Is he impressing YOU or are you reading about him and making conclusions from your armchair?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

He has two hits this spring.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Posted by Joebreidey

He had 2 hits in his first 2 games....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Would Iggy be forever destroyed if he was rushed to Fenway? I doubt it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day SS : He had 2 hits in his first 2 games....
    Posted by JB-3

He is hitting .286.  It is difficult to find less support for starting someone than 2 hits.  I like him, but thinks he needs at least a half season in AAA.  Two singles is not going to change my mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to "Re: Opening Day SS":
    He has two hits this spring. Posted by Joebreidey
    I like the trend.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day SS : He is hitting .286.  It is difficult to find less support for starting someone than 2 hits.  I like him, but thinks he needs at least a half season in AAA.  Two singles is not going to change my mind.
    Posted by Joebreidey

He's hitting .286 in "A" games.  The Sox have played several "B" games, I know Iggy at least played in the 1st one where he collected a hit.  Also, you apparently missed the fact that one of his hits was a 3 run triple.  I still maintain that both he and the team would benefit from a half season in AAA, but he's shown a much better approach at the plate thus far.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day SS : If you think that you are "way ahead of the curve on this one," you must not be reading other posters who were campaigning for Iglesias way back. 
    Posted by expitch

I have a feeling there may be many posters claiming to be on the beginning Iggy bandwagon.

I'm convinced that if Iggy is the FT SS and hitting .200 by July, most astute fans will see so many saved hits, they will forget about his BA and be happy he got the job.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

For all the reasons we should have kept Alex Gonzales we should now apply to Iggy. We suffered Crawfords lame offensive numbers last season and there is no reason we can't carry Iggy.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In Response to Opening Day SS : Have you seen any Sox games or been to the park yet this year to watch? "...he is impressing me thus far in spring training..."   Is he impressing YOU or are you reading about him and making conclusions from your armchair?
    Posted by WesternOregon

Yes, I have watched him live from Jet Blue Park. My folks live nearby and I made it a point to time my yearly visit during spring training. He seems to be squaring up the ball, avoiding strikeouts, and providing stellar defense (has to be seen in person). I'm not hopping on any bandwagon. In fact, I stated that I was skeptical of his ML success likelihood. My OP is simply a statement that he has looked good so far in camp and that without Scutaro on the team, I could see him being the opening day starter at SS.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day SS :   Yes, I have watched him live from Jet Blue Park. My folks live nearby and I made it a point to time my yearly visit during spring training. He seems to be squaring up the ball, avoiding strikeouts, and providing stellar defense (has to be seen in person). I'm not hopping on any bandwagon. In fact, I stated that I was skeptical of his ML success likelihood. My OP is simply a statement that he has looked good so far in camp and that without Scutaro on the team, I could see him being the opening day starter at SS.
    Posted by TitleTown11

Thanks for the update. I didn't see the Sox going with Nick Punto or Mike Aviles there as starters. I'm hopeful that the pressure to swing a productive bat doesn't hinder his being ready to take over the job; sooner than later.
    Thanks again for the update.
    Unlike Mr. Moonslav I don't share the opinion of a .200 hitter being functional in the Sox order - even if he IS as flashy as one hopes...one never knows though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day SS :   Yes, I have watched him live from Jet Blue Park. My folks live nearby and I made it a point to time my yearly visit during spring training. He seems to be squaring up the ball, avoiding strikeouts, and providing stellar defense (has to be seen in person). I'm not hopping on any bandwagon. In fact, I stated that I was skeptical of his ML success likelihood. My OP is simply a statement that he has looked good so far in camp and that without Scutaro on the team, I could see him being the opening day starter at SS.
    Posted by TitleTown11

Must be nice to get out of Green Bay and get to sunny FL......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day SS : If you think that you are "way ahead of the curve on this one," you must not be reading other posters who were campaigning for Iglesias way back. 
    Posted by expitch

No kidding.

This is the only thing Bill has ever said that I agree with, and here he goes and ignores everyone who does...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Posted by Joebreidey

I can always count on JoeyB not to overreact.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Would Iggy be forever destroyed if he was rushed to Fenway? I doubt it.
    Posted by BurritoT

Yeah but how much offense are you willing to sacrifice?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day SS : Yeah but how much offense are you willing to sacrifice?
    Posted by BosoxJoe5

Plan B is either Mike Aviles or Nick Punto, not Cal Ripken.

I know Aviles has had a good amount of success at the plate, but he has also never had a 500AB season and is 31 years old.

Iglesias shouldn't be counted on to hit...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day SS : I have a feeling there may be many posters claiming to be on the beginning Iggy bandwagon. I'm convinced that if Iggy is the FT SS and hitting .200 by July, most astute fans will see so many saved hits, they will forget about his BA and be happy he got the job.
    Posted by moonslav59

Keep in mind that there are three bandewagons this time.

Those who think he should start on OD (you).
    Those who think he'll never be any good (come and identify yourselves).
    Those who are pleased with his progress, but think he needs additional seasoning (and maybe avoid being a super-2), and that would be me.

Sections
Shortcuts