Opening Day Starting Pitcher?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Opening Day Starting Pitcher?

No one deserves that honor right now. Everyone pitched badly when it mattered in 2011. Tell all the fat cat veterans that their pitching designation will be based on spring training results....the man that pitches the best, starts the season.

If that means Bard or Aceves starts the season, then so be it. A new regime should mean business. Maybe Beckett and Lester might come to camp in shape for a change.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher?

Too soon to really tell, but I lay odds it is Lester.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

But Lester doesn't care about games in April.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Hey Andrew, when is the next meeting of our doomsday club in the cemetery, is it still going to be at midnight on a cold rainy night?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

It will be Beckett.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

The Wakefield buttlickers will want him to start opening day...because he's such a special guy he deserves it to them...

...forget the success of the team in 2012, let it be all about Wake getting another 18 or 19 wins to surpass Clemens for the all-time Red Sox record.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Im thinking its probably Lester, but since Ill be at the second game I would rather it be Beckett so I can see Lester.  Beckett takes too long, and will probably drive Bobby V nuts by the fifth, thats even if he can make it out of the fifth against that Detroit offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher?:
    [QUOTE]But Lester doesn't care about games in April.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

He never said that....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : He never said that....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

he only pitches that way

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : he only pitches that way
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

He does start slowly.  So?  Lots of players do that.  Kosuke Fukudome hits incredibly in April, and then does nothing.  Does it make him a great hitter?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : he only pitches that way

Teixeira has been uniformily bad in April as well.  It's pretty meaningless.  Hard is might be to believe, every player has a worst month.

And oddly enough, April isn't even Lester's worst ERA month.  Not sure why you didn't know that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : Teixeira has been uniformily bad in April as well.  It's pretty meaningless.  Hard is might be to believe, every player has a worst month. And oddly enough, April isn't even Lester's worst ERA month.  Not sure why you didn't know that.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    Worst means one thing when a pitcher goes, say, 2 and 3, another when he goes 0 and 5. It depends upon where "worst" stands in relation to other months. I'm not speaking specifically of Lester here, but to the comment that "every player has a worst month." 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Opening Day Starting Pitcher?:
    [QUOTE]No one deserves that honor right now. Everyone pitched badly when it mattered in 2011. Tell all the fat cat veterans that their pitching designation will be based on spring training results....the man that pitches the best, starts the season. If that means Bard or Aceves starts the season, then so be it. A new regime should mean business. Maybe Beckett and Lester might come to camp in shape for a change.

Geo, why do you persist with threads and comments about Beckett and Lester?  Do you feel this is a big part of your identity and if you don't continue posting the same things over and over you will fade into obscurity?

"Listen to me, everybody!  Me!!  I am relevant!"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Lester, same as 2010. Beckett lost the #1 two of the past three seasons.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to "Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher?": [QUOTE]Lester, same as 2010. Beckett lost the #1 two of the past three seasons. Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE] One of those seasons he was injured and clearly outpitched lester last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im not trying to promote any agenda - i think with a new manager, it would be smart to actually have the pitchers compete for the honor of starting on opening day...given last years lack of an ace, wouldnt this just be smart baseball and set a good tone for the season? 

who would be against this????

wait, I can hear it now -  "we have to line up our rotation for the Aug 27 series against that left-heavy team"......

dumb....just reward the best pitcher....make Spring training mean something

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : Geo, why do you persist with threads and comments about Beckett and Lester?  Do you feel this is a big part of your identity and if you don't continue posting the same things over and over you will fade into obscurity? "Listen to me, everybody!  Me!!  I am relevant!"
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

the last thread i authored was about 2months ago...Beckett made his arrogant views public and i responded...if that bothers u put me on ignore....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Buch would be my choice, but it won't happen.  The question is, how is the decision reached?  Will how they perform in spring training make a difference?  It should imho.  They'll probably go with Beckett, assuage his ego and as a nod to seniority, he's been in the league the longest of the three, that probably factors in.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]im not trying to promote any agenda - i think with a new manager, it would be smart to actually have the pitchers compete for the honor of starting on opening day...given last years lack of an ace, wouldnt this just be smart baseball and set a good tone for the season?  who would be against this???? wait, I can hear it now -  "we have to line up our rotation for the Aug 27 series against that left-heavy team"...... dumb....just reward the best pitcher....make Spring training mean something

HIGH 5!

Make these entitled, spoiled brats EARN something. Stop handing rewards to people that don't work for it.

If Aceves looks the best through spring, he's EARNED the honor to start opening day. Nobody from 2011 or 2010 deserves to have anything given to them, they ALL have something to prove. Now, go out and prove it.

Oh, and Beckett, shut your damn yap, nobody wants to hear anything coming out of it after we all know what went in last season, accept some of the blame and move on...to another team. Bum.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Our best pitcher in 2012 will be Buchholz. He will not necessarily be the opening day starter but 2012 should be the year Buchholz becomes our top pitcher.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : HIGH 5! Make these entitled, spoiled brats EARN something. Stop handing rewards to people that don't work for it. If Aceves looks the best through spring, he's EARNED the honor to start opening day. Nobody from 2011 or 2010 deserves to have anything given to them, they ALL have something to prove. Now, go out and prove it. Oh, and Beckett, shut your damn yap, nobody wants to hear anything coming out of it after we all know what went in last season, accept some of the blame and move on...to another team. Bum.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I agree opening day starter should be the guy who looks best in the spring; but doubt that will be how it goes down, be a pleasant surprise if it did.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]Our best pitcher in 2012 will be Buchholz. He will not necessarily be the opening day starter but 2012 should be the year Buchholz becomes our top pitcher.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Agree, when Lester Beckett and Buch are all healthy and pitching they're best, I think Buch is the best guy out there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

seriously, how disgusting would it be if Slosh was given that honor? makes my stomach churn.....but if he pitches well in March, then so be it

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]seriously, how disgusting would it be if Slosh was given that honor? makes my stomach churn.....but if he pitches well in March, then so be it

We'll be able to tell alot about the makeup of this team by opening day.

It will either be more of the same, and expect another season right around 90 wins.

Or

We'll start to see a change in attitude and professionalism, and it would be more reasonable to expect a good season.

If it's just 'given' to Beckett....that will disgust me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Beckett will start and will pitch lights out.....