Opening Day Starting Pitcher?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher?

In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher?:
    [QUOTE]im not trying to promote any agenda - i think with a new manager, it would be smart to actually have the pitchers compete for the honor of starting on opening day...given last years lack of an ace, wouldnt this just be smart baseball and set a good tone for the season?  who would be against this???? wait, I can hear it now -  "we have to line up our rotation for the Aug 27 series against that left-heavy team"...... dumb....just reward the best pitcher....make Spring training mean something
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]  GOOD POST ...... IT WON'T BE ONE OF THE "FAT CATS"......  THEY TOOK ADVANTAGE OF TITO AND THEN TOOK THE SLIDE BACKWARDS TO "OVER PAID UNDER PERFORMERS" !!!!  BOBBY V.  NEEDS TO GET TOUGH & PUSH THEM HARD !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NunciRom. Show NunciRom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : Geo, why do you persist with threads and comments about Beckett and Lester?  Do you feel this is a big part of your identity and if you don't continue posting the same things over and over you will fade into obscurity? "Listen to me, everybody!  Me!!  I am relevant!"
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

You've licked so many front office boots that your tongue is black.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : You've licked so many front office boots that your tongue is black.
    Posted by NunciRom[/QUOTE]

Excellent.  Congrats georom, you have enlisted a newbie already in your Softy-like obesession with josh Beckett.  Your army is marching.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

We dont actually know it's "a newbie", Space. Could be someone marching to his own beat, which is unheard of hereWink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]We dont actually know it's "a newbie", Space. could be someone marching to his own beat, which is unheard of here
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, thanks J-Bay.  I guess I need to access my inner Utica Club a little better.  I am bad with recognizing the double identities and secret cabals.  I need Smiley-esque clues to get it through my space-brain.  Tongue Out

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

Jon Lester will pitch opening day

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : Excellent.  Congrats georom, you have enlisted a newbie already in your Softy-like obesession with josh Beckett.  Your army is marching.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Space - it's Pike....lol...seriously how twisted is this guy? But i do love the avatar - he looks like one of my cousins in Calabria!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Wouldnt it be nice if someone really deserved it

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : he only pitches that way
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Really? Lester's April record last year was 3-1 with a 2.52 ERA. His first start was bad 5.1 IP 5 ER. His next five starts in April:

7 IP, 0 ER
    7 IP, 3 ER
    6 IP, 1 ER
    6 IP, 0 ER
    8 IP, 2 ER
    34 IP; 6 ER -- 1.58 ER

Wow -- just a horrible month of April for Lester.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : Really? Lester's April record last year was 3-1 with a 2.52 ERA. His first start was bad 5.1 IP 5 ER. His next five starts in April: 7 IP, 0 ER 7 IP, 3 ER 6 IP, 1 ER 6 IP, 0 ER 8 IP, 2 ER 34 IP; 6 ER -- 1.58 ER Wow -- just a horrible month of April for Lester.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

thats pretty good..what about 2010?, 2009?, 2008?  i think i recall a pattern of slow starts if my memory serves me...btw it is pretty interesting the way Im supposed to remember Lester's April but not Beckett's'/JL's September...why is that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : thats pretty good..what about 2010?, 2009?, 2008?  i think i recall a pattern of slow starts if my memory serves me...btw it is pretty interesting the way Im supposed to remember Lester's April but not Beckett's'/JL's September...why is that?

Who ever said you're not supposed to remember September? My consistent theme is that when you or others get so caught up in your own agendas against a player that you lose persective.

And it's about credibility. Yes, Lester has struggled in Aprils. But last year he didn't. It shows your so wrapped up with ripping players that you have to overstate things and whatever argument you're trying to make just might not be valid.

I find it's hard to take  posters serious when they're so cavalier with facts. To me it shows they're more interested in blind, incoherent rantings than in rationale, intelligent debate.

That's what's disappointing about you. You're smarter than that. On many subjects, you are able to thoughtful postings. But then you get on one of your jihads and whatever legitimate points you might have get lost in irrationale overstatements.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : Who ever said you're not supposed to remember September? My consistent theme is that when you or others get so caught up in your own agendas against a player that you lose persective. And it's about credibility. Yes, Lester has struggled in Aprils. But last year he didn't. It shows your so wrapped up with ripping players that you have to overstate things and whatever argument you're trying to make just might not be valid. I find it's hard to take  posters serious when they're so cavalier with facts. To me it shows they're more interested in blind, incoherent rantings than in rationale, intelligent debate. That's what's disappointing about you. You're smarter than that. On many subjects, you are able to thoughtful postings. But then you get on one of your jihads and whatever legitimate points you might have get lost in irrationale overstatements.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Roy, that comment was based on Andre's quote about not caring in April....thats not my thing - i dont have any beef with lester except following beckett like a puppy to the chicken and wings....i bet anything lester learns from that...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : Roy, that comment was based on Andre's quote about not caring in April....thats not my thing - i dont have any beef with lester except following beckett like a puppy to the chicken and wings....i bet anything lester learns from that...

And if Beckett comes into camp in shape, has a great season, is a model clubhouse presence that's won't meaning anything? It's OK for Lester to learn from it and not Beckett.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

no roy, it just means i was way wrong....thats my point.....this is what i believe - but based on josh's explanation for last sept, do you really think thats going to happen?  i hope that picture of him  from the interview was a stock photo from last yr because the bloat looked bigger than ever...

Lester is not like Beckett -  he is more intelligent

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]no roy, it just means i was way wrong....thats my point.....this is what i believe - but based on josh's explanation for last sept, do you really think thats going to happen?  i hope that picture of him  from the interview was a stock photo from last yr because the bloat looked bigger than ever... Lester is not like Beckett -  he is more intelligent

If Lester did follow Beckett into the abyss, how intelligent does that really make him.

As for how Beckett looked, I'll judge him how him on how he performs. To me, he looked no different in September last year than he looked during the season when he was dominating. I'll judge Beckett on the results on the mound, not how he looks.

Mike Cameron was in superb shape, looked great and worked hard, but that didn't prevent him from getting hurt and being useless for irrelevent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : If Lester did follow Beckett into the abyss, how intelligent does that really make him. As for how Beckett looked, I'll judge him how him on how he performs. To me, he looked no different in September last year than he looked during the season when he was dominating. I'll judge Beckett on the results on the mound, not how he looks. Mike Cameron was in superb shape, looked great and worked hard, but that didn't prevent him from getting hurt and being useless for irrelevent.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

youre kidding right? they guy gained 15-20 pounds in those six months...you are the first person i know who denied his weight gain...even his trainer said he gave up conditioning....amazing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Exactly, Roy. Sabathia is far more than bloated, doesn't seem to be hindering his performance. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Sabbathia is fat, but has he ever been thin? i dont think that type of frame is good for most, or josh at least....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opening Day Starting Pitcher? : youre kidding right? they guy gained 15-20 pounds in those six months...you are the first person i know who denied his weight gain...even his trainer said he gave up conditioning....amazing

Geo, you need to put last year behind you. it's past, it's over. people make mistakes, even millionaire ball players; let's give them a chance to redeem themselves. Do I think it was no big deal, no, but I do think it was overblown and you're buying into and adding to it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im ready for the season...and if Beckett pitches like a boss in March, then i want him to have the ball opening day...what i say has no impact on anything...but im usually correct about things...well maybe not 100% like the tag line says, but Im pretty good...

i am looking forward to watching the kids play (bard/iggy/lava)

i will miss marco

i hope papi can keep on turning back time

i like salty a lot

ells & pedey are my faves

i think Agon/CC will season nicely this second year....

i have some hope that we could hit it just right and compete against the top teams...

i will not miss Wake, but i will Tek - i thought he was a decent backup
    believe it or not, i will miss JD - i loved watching him play outfield and his injury was one the most overlooked items of 2011 that mattered...i was never a JD hater

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I'm hoping Beckett is in shape so our rotation would be:

Beckett
    Lester
    Bucholtz
    Bard
    Aceves

But it could also be:

Lester
    Beckett
    Bucholtz
    Aceves
    Bard

But if Beckett is out of shape I would go with:

Lester
    Bucholtz
    Beckett
    Bard
    Aceves

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]I'm hoping Beckett is in shape so our rotation would be: Beckett Lester Bucholtz Bard Aceves But it could also be: Lester Beckett Bucholtz Aceves Bard But if Beckett is out of shape I would go with: Lester Bucholtz Beckett Bard Aceves
    Posted by myaim45[/QUOTE]

even i think it is impossible for beckett to be so out of shape he wont start....but you have to think all this chatter about him would motivate him to not spend the hot stove training at hooters

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Im ready for the season...and if Beckett pitches like a boss in March, then i want him to have the ball opening day...what i say has no impact on anything...but im usually correct about things...well maybe not 100% like the tag line says, but Im pretty good... i am looking forward to watching the kids play (bard/iggy/lava) i will miss marco i hope papi can keep on turning back time i like salty a lot ells & pedey are my faves i think Agon/CC will season nicely this second year.... i have some hope that we could hit it just right and compete against the top teams... i will not miss Wake, but i will Tek - i thought he was a decent backup believe it or not, i will miss JD - i loved watching him play outfield and his injury was one the most overlooked items of 2011 that mattered...i was never a JD hater

Thats the way things go in Sports, players come and go and retire. If it was up to me, Yaz would still be in left field, Dewey in Right and  Pedro would pitch opening day. Beckett has not been a cancer on this team during the several years he's been here. poor judgment, yes but obviously no one stopped him. I am not a Valentine fan, but i'm willing to give him a chance and believe he will not let this behavior continue. pitchers and catchers report in two weeks. Lets just see how it goes