Opening night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Opening night

ESPN has the Rangers at Houston in the Astro's first game in the junior circuit. The Texans may not be as powerful as last year's edition, but they'll be favored over the new look 'Stros. Houston unviels the new uni's, a new manager and a fresh crop of unknowns. Anchoring the unknowables are veterans Ronny Cedeno SS, Carlos Pena DH, and Rick Ankiel RF. 2B Jose Altuve is a Pedroia clone and was an All-Star last year, he's got a good chance to get to 200 hits this year. Brett Wallace plays 1B, he's a bat left, throw right player who hit 9 HR's in  66 games and was a former 1st round pick, adding some pop are 6'4" bruiser Chris Carter, and 6'5" Justin Maxwell 18HR after the Yankees released him. Bud Norris toes the rubber for the home team where he went 4-1 with a 1.71 ERA last year. The Astro's may surprise a few teams this year as they seek to turn things around. Seems like they always get the better of the Sox whenever they hook up for a trade, let's see how they do head to head on the field.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Opening night

he looks like an alligator without a beard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Third inning and there have been two missed calls by the umps already, a base stealer called out, he was safe, and a diving catch in center that was trapped. Another runner was thrown out stealing and that was questionable too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

AL West teams can beat up on Stros helping chances for wild cards at expense of AL East.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

AL West teams can beat up on Stros helping chances for wild cards at expense of AL East.

I haven't looked at the schedules really closely but it seems like teams in different divisions will be playing very different schedules. 

It is nice to have an equal number of teams in each division but with the constant inter-league play schedules are definitely going to be weird.  The Red Sox go to Colorado for a 2 game set the last week of season.... not a series that exactly screams pennant race. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:

I haven't looked at the schedules really closely but it seems like teams in different divisions will be playing very different schedules. 

It is nice to have an equal number of teams in each division but with the constant inter-league play schedules are definitely going to be weird.  The Red Sox go to Colorado for a 2 game set the last week of season.... not a series that exactly screams pennant race. 

Thought teams played other teams in their own division the most frequently.  Has that changed this year?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:

Thought teams played other teams in their own division the most frequently.  Has that changed this year?

I don't think so, I think it is still the same against division opponents.  But with expanded inter-league and now another team in the A.L., it seems like you would play less games against A.L. West and Central teams. 

It looks like the Red Sox only play 6-7 games against A.L. west and Central teams.  I've never been a fan of interleague play, beyond maybe a few games a year for natural rivals like NY/NY, SF/OAK, Chi/Chi, etc..... I think it creates unbalanced schedules and is mostly series that don't have much added appeal but it is good that all divisions finally have the same number of teams and with 15 in each league, interleague play is a necessity. 

Sections
Shortcuts