Openning Day at McCoy Stadium.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Openning Day at McCoy Stadium.

So I decided to take a drive down 95 and visit the PawSox.  It had been quite a few years and I was excited about the evening ahead.  The outside of the park has changed more then the inside.  There is still free parking and if that fills up, $5.00 is the most I saw being charged.

There were tickets available at the window and the line to get into the park moved quickly.  I sat over behind the PawSox dugout and had a great view.  The night began with a nice tribute to the military and local police depts.  There was a cannon salute which from what I undertand, was heard a few miles away.

The sox starters were introduced and Iggy seems to be the adopted son at McCoy.  When Ortiz was introduced there were cheers but David never appeared. There was a long pause before the announcer moved on but still no David.  Before the game began David made the star trot to the outifield and did some jogging.

I am not sure how Iggy's homer looked on TV, but it was a nice shot from where I was standing.  The wind was blowing in and it was cold at the park.  The applause for Iggy could be heard a few streets away.

Ortiz looks in better shape in person then on TV.  I will have to stop my out of shape jokes.  He is not jacked like in 04 but looks good for a guy his age.  His two singles were not earth shattering but it was great to see him on base.  His first time on, the count went full to the batter with two outs.  Everyone was looking for David to run on the pitch but there was a slow trot.

Next time on there was again no close play at first so again it was a slow trot.  When he scored from third he was hustling and I was impressed.  No doubt he is running well but there were no moments on when he tested the foot by stepping hard on a base.

McCoy is a great take and anyone who likes baseball should make a visit. 

I also saw a great catch by the Pawsox centerfielder.  Great night and a great crowd.  Those minor league fans really know there baseball. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Openning Day at McCoy Stadium.

In response to jackbu's comment:

So I decided to take a drive down 95 and visit the PawSox.  It had been quite a few years and I was excited about the evening ahead.  The outside of the park has changed more then the inside.  There is still free parking and if that fills up, $5.00 is the most I saw being charged.

There were tickets available at the window and the line to get into the park moved quickly.  I sat over behind the PawSox dugout and had a great view.  The night began with a nice tribute to the military and local police depts.  There was a cannon salute which from what I undertand, was heard a few miles away.

The sox starters were introduced and Iggy seems to be the adopted son at McCoy.  When Ortiz was introduced there were cheers but David never appeared. There was a long pause before the announcer moved on but still no David.  Before the game began David made the star trot to the outifield and did some jogging.

I am not sure how Iggy's homer looked on TV, but it was a nice shot from where I was standing.  The wind was blowing in and it was cold at the park.  The applause for Iggy could be heard a few streets away.

Ortiz looks in better shape in person then on TV.  I will have to stop my out of shape jokes.  He is not jacked like in 04 but looks good for a guy his age.  His two singles were not earth shattering but it was great to see him on base.  His first time on, the count went full to the batter with two outs.  Everyone was looking for David to run on the pitch but there was a slow trot.

Next time on there was again no close play at first so again it was a slow trot.  When he scored from third he was hustling and I was impressed.  No doubt he is running well but there were no moments on when he tested the foot by stepping hard on a base.

McCoy is a great take and anyone who likes baseball should make a visit. 

I also saw a great catch by the Pawsox centerfielder.  Great night and a great crowd.  Those minor league fans really know there baseball. 

Great post. Thanks for sharing your experience and the update on Ortiz.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

2004:  Thank you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

It is a nice report. Kind of reminds me of a poster I used to know and whose writing skills I used to appreciate and respect.

I love baseball...and have always preferred the minor league parks. I think anyone who truly loves the game understands why a minor league game is so much more exciting to watch.

Besides that..I can go to a dozen Spinners games for what it cost for one game at Fenway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thanks jackbu. Good to see papi coming along nicely. Was it Hazelbaker that made the catch in CF?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

i think southpaw. he had to motor to get it.  exciting catch. thanks

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Thanks, nice Post. Going to New Britain Sat. and Sunday to see Portland. Minor League games are great.

Perhaps we could get a synopsis from you of which prospects you were impressed with ,up close and personal. It's always a treat to see what a long time poster thinks of future talent.

Barnes may be on the mound along with Ranaudo. They have a pretty formidable rotation with Workman, Britton and Kamiska rounding out the five.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Thanks, nice Post. Going to New Britain Sat. and Sunday to see Portland. Minor League games are great.

I used to go to New Britian when the Red Sox had their double A team there.  I saw my best ever fan catch there.  A guy caught a ball sitting in his chair with one hand, and did not spill a drop from the beer in the other.

I have a Mo Vaughn New Britian card.  Two people who I saw play there who I thought would be stars were:  Kevin Morton who when to college with Mo and Wayne Housie.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

It is a nice report. Kind of reminds me of a poster I used to know and whose writing skills I used to appreciate and respect.

I love baseball...and have always preferred the minor league parks. I think anyone who truly loves the game understands why a minor league game is so much more exciting to watch.

Besides that..I can go to a dozen Spinners games for what it cost for one game at Fenway.

Well, something Pumpsie said made me remember why I started blogging on these sites.  I don't like being confused with others so I decided it was time to start getting back to what I enjoy, and leave the negative comments to the Sandys of the world.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Thanks Bill:  You could be right.  What I did come way with from the game is, no one enjoys playing more then this guy.  He gets on first and starts talking to the first baseman like they were old friends.

When he was on third there was a pitching change.  At least five people from both teams and an umpire flocked to Ortiz.

The other thing I am sure of is, the sox have to figure out how to get Iggy back in fenway. Watching this kid play in person, one sees the confidence in him.  The position belongs to him.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Well, something Pumpsie said made me remember why I started blogging on these sites.  I don't like being confused with others so I decided it was time to start getting back to what I enjoy, and leave the negative comments to the Sandys of the world.

I hope I contributed in a positive way Jackbu. Enjoyed reading your update about Pawtucket. That team is looking pretty strong, and if I lived anywhere near them I would be out watching them in person with some regularity because I am too cheap to commit to the most expensive ticket in baseball too often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I hope I contributed in a positive way Jackbu. Enjoyed reading your update about Pawtucket. That team is looking pretty strong, and if I lived anywhere near them I would be out watching them in person with some regularity because I am too cheap to commit to the most expensive ticket in baseball too often.

Thanks Pumpsie:  I don't get to fenway as much as I used to, price has a big reason.  I never plan to go but if I am near the park, I walk up to the window and get the cheapest seat.

McCoy has always had a laid back relax feel.  I saw just one fan out of control and security was closing in on him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Nice report.  I think it reminds us that baseball isn't always about how the RS do.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Nice report.  I think it reminds us that baseball isn't always about how the RS do.

Thanks, and what I remembered about the Pawsox after a innings was, their primary reason is to develop players.  So if they help develop a player and still lose the game, the fans are still happy.  It is more about seeing an Iggy do well then winning the game at McCoy.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

i am sitting here with several people who saw ortiz round third yesterday. they all say he is out today because of leg issues and not illness.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Well..for what it's worth..it's good to hear. I agree that being "confused" with someone else is a drag and can be especially frustrating if untrue..but I have found it's generally best to just stick to the topic at hand on these sites...and like you stated leave the negativity to the 'Sandys of the world'.

Plus..life's too short for foolish games and those who play them.

Back to the topic at hand...minor league games really are the best. Reading your post about the Pawsox makes me impatient for the start of the Spinners season. Sadly opening day is still a couple of months away..lol

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

i am sitting here with several people who saw ortiz round third yesterday. they all say he is out today because of leg issues and not illness.

Are they doctors or trainers? If they're not, it's nothing but a guessing game. Right?

you do not need to be a mechanic to know when your car is not running well. when it comes to the red sox injury report it is a guessing game. does anyone really think hanrahan pulled his hamstring. you cannot have it  both ways, you post all the positive reports and want to dismiss all the negative ones on david

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I hope we did not lose MS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

Are they doctors or trainers? If they're not, it's nothing but a guessing game. Right?

http://www.overthemonster.com/2013/4/16/4227282/david-ortiz-heel-achilles-injury-red-sox-rehab

Ms, if you are still with us, would you care to comment on this article?

Sections
Shortcuts