Opinion/Posturing/Baiting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Opinion/Posturing/Baiting

let me preface by saying i'm all for being able to express, but a lot of the threads that go up wind up going off the rails, at what point does it cease to become opinion and turns into posturing and/or baiting?...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting

In Response to Opinion/Posturing/Baiting:
    [QUOTE]let me preface by saying i'm all for being able to express, but a lot of the threads that go up wind up going off the rails, at what point does it cease to become opinion and turns into posturing and/or baiting?...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Don't know, but I doubt it will stop. Very sad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Human nature, Jete.
    It's the same outside of cyberspace.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think it's worse here because a lot of times you never have to see who you're baiting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Opinion/Posturing/Baiting : Don't know, but I doubt it will stop. Very sad.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]Nice avatar jessey, are you a Cheap Trick fan?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am, but don't tell Zilla that Tongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Human nature, Jete. It's the same outside of cyberspace.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]i hear you harness, not to single out Beni b/c i support his right to say it, but his threads are the perfect example of where it starts, begins as baiting but takes on a life of it's own...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I enjoy good-natured banter about baseball. Unfortunately, many who post here have an agenda and fall prey to on-line "courage".

jete, you epitomize the kind of good natured banter I'm talking about. All my life I've known Yankee fans and I've always enjoyed the lighthearted back and forth with them. Just keep doing what you do and try to ignore the ones who just like to aggravate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pkaczor. Show pkaczor's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting : i hear you harness, not to single out Beni b/c i support his right to say it, but his threads are the perfect example of where it starts, begins as baiting but takes on a life of it's own...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

I disagree- he should be singled out.  His schtick is wholly formulaic at this point and I struggle to see what value it adds.  Also laughable that he affirmatively denied having various other IDs on here just last week. 

As you note, however, it is his right to do it.  Trust me...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am really annoyed that so many people post an opinion and then refuse to be challenged.

I am often amazed at the baseball wisdom from many here ( I won't get into names, but if you are not stubborn or narrow minded , you know who they are).

Baiting is just smiley's way of enjoying life. I really think he gets a big kick out of knocking the Yankees. But once you've caught the fish, how about a good friendly debate , instead of "Theo is God, the Yankees are in serious trouble, and that's the end of subject.

Cheap Trick avatars should be banned. Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

The ones who come in here telling all about Beni's baiting and are perturbed by it are the same ones who search out such threads when they arrive and post and live in them. It seems to be a symbiotic relationship to them and Beni.. They apparently can't live with Beni nor can they live without him. The Yankee posters would be bored stiff without Beni. Babe on the other hand is a different situation, he is just abrasive, boring, and predictable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

The obvious BAITERS in the forum are:

Softlaw / BaseballGM / Law
    Andrewmitch
    BaseballDr / Bosox1941 / Bosox-11
    Babe
    Smiley Beni
    Concern Trolls ( fan pretenders ) with fabricated concerns

The ones that annoy me the most are the Concern Trolls
    I hunt them down and point them out to you
    There are at least 30-50 of them and they fool you 90% of the time
    Chip Buck has said that BDC regulars are noted for being baited / gullible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Hey Jete,

There are a number of posters, yank and sox, who like to bait and there are a number of yank and sox fans who take the bait.

I tend to stay off those threads because I learned from dealing with midge that it's a waste of time. 

Alot of times someone will start a thread, post a few comments to stir everyone up then they stop posting.  I sometimes wonder if they do this on purpose so they can sit back to enjoy the 'show'

I  don't understand why people take the bait.  If no one posted on those threads they would quickly die.  Since that doesn't happen I must assume some people like the back and forth.

My rule is this, I expect people to treat me with respect face to face and online. If they don't I just ignore them, life is so much easier that way.Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

Very true 67Redsox. Many know they are being baited and enjoy the back and forth and they have no right to complained about the baiter who started the thread.

Many others however don't realize they were baited and for some reason always think that the opening post is written by a serious, honest person. I try to point out these pretenders or concern trolls to them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Bird did this with defenders when in his playing days..."baited breath", I think Red said that...

Also, I went to buy a car and he baited me and switched to buy another more expensive vehical...

I also go fishing and use worms for bait...

Boston Police use a bait vehical to catch theives...

Oh, ya there are theads out there that "bait" you to jion in the conversation...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

Oh, ya there are theads out there that "bait" you to jion in the conversation...

Beavis, Which thread would be most successful:

Will anyone ever hit over .400 again?

Yaz was overrated - just one good year.

Was Fred Lynn the best Red Sox CF since 1967?

Big Papi used PEDs

Dwight Evans was a super Red Sox RF

JD Drew is too aloof and doesn't care

YOU SEE SOME BAITS DETERMINE THE CONVERSATION
    GOOD BASEBALL TALK GOES BY THE WAYSIDE
    THIS IS WHY WE HAVE HAD 2000 THREADS ABOUT DREW
    AND A DOZEN ABOUT EVANS, YAZ, WILLIAMS

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting : I disagree- he should be singled out.  His schtick is wholly formulaic at this point and I struggle to see what value it adds.  Also laughable that he affirmatively denied having various other IDs on here just last week.  As you note, however, it is his right to do it.  Trust me...
    Posted by pkaczor[/QUOTE]no, he should not be singled out, he's hardly a lone culprit, and it's not about Beni as an individual, my intent was more about these threads as a whole, the direction they take, in terms of the point when actual/reasonable discussion stops....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Is it baiting/posturing when one is proud of his team? Is it baiting/posturing when one points out the weaknesses of his opponent? If one bodly says that his team is going to win the championship is that wrong?(Joe Namath 1969)? But more importantly why do we take ourselves so seriously on this board? And why do some individuals feel so high and mighty on this forum when they should look in the mirror and see how foolish they are.For example we have a middle aged man with an avatar from a monster movie who is "really annoyed" with other posters? And we have an individual who claims he is the sheriff of this forum who attacks other posters? There are really serious problems in this nation and around the world. A boisterous blogger is the least of our troubles.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Who decides on this forum what's considered reasonable?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from glumandrew. Show glumandrew's posts

Babe does. He has a license to bash Ted Williams, Yaz, and everything Red Sox but he forbids any criticism about Jeter this year. When Babe retires MikeyintheBronx is ready to step in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]I am really annoyed that so many people post an opinion and then refuse to be challenged. I am often amazed at the baseball wisdom from many here ( I won't get into names, but if you are not stubborn or narrow minded , you know who they are). Baiting is just smiley's way of enjoying life. I really think he gets a big kick out of knocking the Yankees. But once you've caught the fish, how about a good friendly debate , instead of "Theo is God, the Yankees are in serious trouble, and that's the end of subject. Cheap Trick avatars should be banned.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    This is my real problem with Smiley's MO...he obviously posts to stir people up, and he's got a right to post his views the same as everyone else, but if you presume to question or criticize his posts he and his supporters get all worked up and defensive, and you're instantly shot down for daring to soil his inviolable personage with your objections. It's very often implied by certain people (and by Smiley himself) that if you don't agree with his posts, you must be a Yankee fan or troll in disguise.

Which is why I've felt for a long time that the character of "Smiley-Beni" is just an act someone is putting on, and that he's as much about baiting and trolling as Babe or Frank From Gloucester is. Some people here will never admit this, though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chain-reaction. Show chain-reaction's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting : This is my real problem with Smiley's MO...he obviously posts to stir people up, and he's got a right to post his views the same as everyone else, but if you presume to question or criticize his posts he and his supporters get all worked up and defensive, and you're instantly shot down for daring to soil his inviolable personage with your objections. It's very often implied by certain people (and by Smiley himself) that if you don't agree with his posts, you must be a Yankee fan or troll in disguise. Which is why I've felt for a long time that the character of "Smiley-Beni" is just an act someone is putting on, and that he's as much about baiting and trolling as Babe or Frank From Gloucester is. Some people here will never admit this, though.
    Posted by Flapjack07[/QUOTE]
    Yes smiley is too much of a red sox fan for you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Beni does bait but his OPs are often close to being reality such as:

Jeter is having a tough time at the plate.
    Jeter is overpaid.
    Yankee have many aging players.
    SI chooses Boston to take it all this year.
    Oddsmakers favor Red Sox.
    Red Sox won the Winter FA Sweepsteaks
    Lee snubs his nose at Yankees

All of the above were factually true.
    Beni enjoys adding hyperbole and humor to the facts.

Meanwhile the Babe responds to Sox fan optimistic posts
    By using his red highlighter and nitpicks in a rude manner
    If someone says that Boston will be better this year
    Babe will ask for documentation and call them out
    Babe is crude, juvenile, and loves using deragatory schoolboy adjectives
    He loves saying Slackey, Lackluster, Beck-Hit, Papsmear, etc.
    Babe acts like a 55 year old going onto 11.
    Babe starts ten times the # of troll threads than Beni does.

Beni gets the criticism for trolling and Babe gets a free pass, go figure.
    There seem to be many under-the-table, closeted Yankee fans in the forum.
    The ConcernTroll Man has it right.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinion/Posturing/Baiting : Yes smiley is too much of a red sox fan for you.
    Posted by chain-reaction[/QUOTE]
    Apparently so. However, I bet you'd find him a great hunting partner.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]Who decides on this forum what's considered reasonable?
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

Why, "The Sheriff" and his posse, of course.